Omaha ALL OVER national media lately

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GetUrban
Planning Board

Re: Omaha ALL OVER national media lately

Post by GetUrban »

I agree. They did say it was under 500 ft. elevation. That view would put the slice at about 10-15' away. Mystery solved!
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Garrett wrote:The Daily Show was in town doing a segment about the Tri-Faith Intiative. It will air sometime soon.

http://m.omaha.com/go/tv/daily-show-seg ... l?mode=jqm
Air's tonight:

'Daily Show' segment on Omaha's Tri-Faith Initiative will now air tonight
Micah Mertes / World-Herald staff writer wrote:A “Daily Show With Trevor Noah” segment about the Tri-Faith Initiative that was originally scheduled to run last month will now run on tonight’s show, a representative for the Tri-Faith Initiative told The World Herald.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I was expecting something a little more exciting than that and a little more exposure of Omaha. Oh well. They did show a nice aerial view of downtown.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha ranked no.12 in Forbes: "America's 20 Best Cities For Young Professionals in 2016"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erincarlyle ... a200557f2b
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

And must not forget the national attention that #OPDSquirrel got on Buzzfeed with her untimely death! Chalk outline and all!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

These 2 Omaha neighborhoods have some of the coolest bars and restaurants in America

Blackstone and Benson getting some love in Yahoo Finance.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

That's a nice little article reflecting that Omaha is growing up, figuratively if not literally. It's always nice to see a city returning to its roots.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Agreed, and I think the restaurants are pretty much spot on. I really liked that they mentioned Blue, Hiro, the grey plume, and the boiler room.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The 9 Best Cities for Singer-Songwriters
1. Omaha, Nebraska
The largest city in the Cornhusker State, Omaha has a modest population just over 400,000, and while it may be surprising to some that a city in Nebraska made this list, Omaha actually has a Wikipedia page dedicated solely to its music scene. Never underestimate the Midwest!
Home to the indie label Saddle Creek Records, whose roster includes artists like Bright Eyes, Cursive, The Faint, and others, Omaha is a hub for indie music, a genre in which guitar-strumming (not to exclude those with a penchant for electronic instrumentation) singer-songwriters thrive. Notable venues in the area include the Sokol Auditorium, The Waiting Room, and many, many others.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Omaha has been all over the national news today about that girls noggin getting crowned on that Kings Crown ride down at Stinko de Mayo in South Omaha. I used to know a guy who had been a carnie who told a good story. The carnival was in some little town up in Nebraska and the double ferris wheel was broke and needed something welded. Since their welder was broke they sent a him up to the local hardware store and he bought a couple hand held acetylne tanks and half |expletive| welded the ferris wheel and ran it all weekend until they could fix it right.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Omaha has been all over the national news today about that girls noggin getting crowned on that Kings Crown ride down at Stinko de Mayo in South Omaha. I used to know a guy who had been a carnie who told a good story. The carnival was in some little town up in Nebraska and the double ferris wheel was broke and needed something welded. Since their welder was broke they sent a him up to the local hardware store and he bought a couple hand held acetylne tanks and half |expletive| welded the ferris wheel and ran it all weekend until they could fix it right.
Do you conjure clever nicknames about other ethnic festivals too?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Omaha has been all over the national news today about that girls noggin getting crowned on that Kings Crown ride down at Stinko de Mayo in South Omaha. I used to know a guy who had been a carnie who told a good story. The carnival was in some little town up in Nebraska and the double ferris wheel was broke and needed something welded. Since their welder was broke they sent a him up to the local hardware store and he bought a couple hand held acetylne tanks and half |expletive| welded the ferris wheel and ran it all weekend until they could fix it right.
Stay classy grandpa.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

And that is why I stay away from carnival rides.
15-17, 26, 32
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

RNcyanide wrote:
Stay classy grandpa.
I had one instigator pull the racist card on me and I got my hand slapped by Coyote or some other administrator. Just for the record people I know have always called it Stinko de Mayo on account of its right down the street from the smelly packing houses. My bad!
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
Stay classy grandpa.
I had one instigator pull the racist card on me and I got my hand slapped by Coyote or some other administrator. Just for the record people I know have always called it Stinko de Mayo on account of its right down the street from the smelly packing houses. My bad!
You're such a tough guy GRANDPASMUCKER. It must feel great to say whatever you want, whenever you want to whomever you want. Because we dont need civility at all, unless we are talking at you, of course.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Typically when I see G-Smuck is the last poster, I know it's not worth reading, but I caught this one on accident and couldn't pass up a little sarcasm.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I've found that G-$muck's posts come in two types:

Type 1 - Posts regarding developments unique to Omaha:

"Boondoggles gonna fail!"

Type 2 - All other posts:

First paragraph: "[Something racist]";
Second paragraph: Back-in-my-Day story, also typically racist.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I've found that G-$muck's posts come in two types:

Hey I may drift back to the old days often but at least I'm not so nuts that I still cry about the jobbers canyon getting torn down 20 years later. :cry:
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

Hey I may drift back to the old days often but at least I'm not so nuts that I still cry about the jobbers canyon getting torn down 20 years later. :cry:
It's been 27 1/2 years! :lafcry: :lafcry: :lafcry: :lafcry: :lafcry: :lafcry: :lafcry: :lafcry: :gun: :gun: :gun: :gun:
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

Apologies Grandpa :-( hugs
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The 20 Best Affordable Places to Live in the U.S.
15. Omaha, Nebraska

Best Places to Live 2016 Ranking: 18

Metro Population: 886,157

Median Home Price: $139,000

Average Household Salary: $43,330

Income Spent on Living Expenses: 28.74 percent

Omaha's median home sale price is $139,000, nearly $80,000 less than the national average, according to Zillow. With many tech companies looking to Omaha, among other smaller metro regions in the U.S., as a more affordable, central location for bicoastal communication, the capital of Nebraska has a job market that is growing steadily. But Omaha maintains a low cost of living, allowing residents to keep more than 71 percent of their income in their wallets.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha ----- The capital of Nebraska ?????

skinzfan23 wrote:The 20 Best Affordable Places to Live in the U.S.
15. Omaha, Nebraska

Best Places to Live 2016 Ranking: 18

Metro Population: 886,157

Median Home Price: $139,000

Average Household Salary: $43,330

Income Spent on Living Expenses: 28.74 percent

Omaha's median home sale price is $139,000, nearly $80,000 less than the national average, according to Zillow. With many tech companies looking to Omaha, among other smaller metro regions in the U.S., as a more affordable, central location for bicoastal communication, the capital of Nebraska has a job market that is growing steadily. But Omaha maintains a low cost of living, allowing residents to keep more than 71 percent of their income in their wallets.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I just saw that too, I thought for a second that maybe they were referencing Lincoln but I don't think that is the case.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:I just saw that too, I thought for a second that maybe they were referencing Lincoln but I don't think that is the case.

The statement would be true for both Omaha and Lincoln but in this context I am almost sure they were referencing Omaha.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

An Equestrian Escape to…Omaha?
I have to admit that I didn’t really know much about Omaha or Nebraska before we started planning the trip to cover The International Omaha show held earlier this month. I ordered a visitor’s guide from the Nebraska Tourism Commission (http://VisitNebraska.com/) and found the website for the Omaha Convention and Tourism Bureau (http://www.visitomaha.com/) where I downloaded an Omaha Visitor’s Guide entitled 100 Pages of Things to Do in Omaha.

"Really, is there that much to do there?” I thought. Boy, was I uninformed. Omaha is in a word, awesome! It’s the best city that I knew nothing about; a city rich in history, a center for the arts and an area full of culinary delights. And Omaha a big sports town, hosting the College World Series of baseball each summer and this year’s U.S. Olympic Swim Team Trials.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

HR Paperstacks wrote:An Equestrian Escape to…Omaha?
I have to admit that I didn’t really know much about Omaha or Nebraska before we started planning the trip to cover The International Omaha show held earlier this month. I ordered a visitor’s guide from the Nebraska Tourism Commission (http://VisitNebraska.com/) and found the website for the Omaha Convention and Tourism Bureau (http://www.visitomaha.com/) where I downloaded an Omaha Visitor’s Guide entitled 100 Pages of Things to Do in Omaha.

"Really, is there that much to do there?” I thought. Boy, was I uninformed. Omaha is in a word, awesome! It’s the best city that I knew nothing about; a city rich in history, a center for the arts and an area full of culinary delights. And Omaha a big sports town, hosting the College World Series of baseball each summer and this year’s U.S. Olympic Swim Team Trials.
That's really a nice piece.. Thanks for sharing this Paperstacks- good find :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

In Omaha, A Library With No Books Brings Technology To All
NPR - All Things Considered wrote:On the corner of the busiest intersection in Omaha, Neb., there's a square cement building, wrapped on two sides with a flashing LED billboard promoting the high-tech equipment and classes inside.

"I thought it was a 3-D printer sales place," says Frank Fu, a high school student.

Earlier this year, Fu stumbled upon Do Space, a technology library providing free access to powerful PCs loaded with software used by businesses and artists. There are 3-D printers and laser cutters.

"It was exactly what I was looking for, and I never knew there was a place anywhere like it, and it turns out there's not," Fu says.

There are no books in this library. Instead it's jammed with high-end technology that it provides free to the public.
Last edited by BRoss on Tue May 31, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

HR Paperstacks wrote:In Omaha, A Library With No Books Brings Technology To All
NPR - All Things Considered wrote:On the corner of the busiest intersection in Omaha, Neb., there's a square cement building, wrapped on two sides with a flashing LED billboard promoting the high-tech equipment and classes inside.

"I thought it was a 3-D printer sales place," says Frank Fu, a high school student.

Earlier this year, Fu stumbled upon Do Space, a technology library providing free access to powerful PCs loaded with software used by businesses and artists. There are 3-D printers and laser cutters.

"It was exactly what I was looking for, and I never knew there was a place anywhere like it, and it turns out there's not," Fu says.

There are no books in this library. Instead it's jammed with high-end technology that it provides free to the public.
FYI- The link you posted takes me to a W-H story regarding the St Patrick's Church conversion to residential...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:FYI- The link you posted takes me to a W-H story regarding the St Patrick's Church conversion to residential...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Not sure how that got there...it's fixed now.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:FYI- The link you posted takes me to a W-H story regarding the St Patrick's Church conversion to residential...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Not sure how that got there...it's fixed now.
Cool. Thanks...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Do Space on 72nd & Dodge featured in an NPR story the other day:

choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

daveoma wrote:Do Space on 72nd & Dodge featured in an NPR story the other day:

daveoma, thank you for the link to the article. I am a big NPR fan. Nice to see Omaha in the news for something good :thumb:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

FYI daveoma- This is the same story Paperstacks posted a week earlier on 05/31.. I'll leave your post up however and thanks for linking it :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

FYI daveoma- This is the same story Paperstacks posted a week earlier on 05/31.. I'll leave your post up however and thanks for linking it :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Thanks for letting me know Omaha Cowboy. I didn't see the article posited in this thread...did I miss it?
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

daveoma wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Thanks for letting me know Omaha Cowboy. I didn't see the article posited in this thread...did I miss it?
Nevermind, I see this now, thanks again!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

daveoma wrote:
daveoma wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Nevermind, I see this now, thanks again!
You're welcome :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

On Jimmy Kimmel lastnight:

http://myradio929.com/2016/06/10/watch- ... ike-pecker/

[youtube][/youtube]
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The Top 10 Best American Cities to Work in Tech in 2016
4. Omaha, NE
Last year’s number-one city for tech workers, Omaha, NE has a lot going for it as a tech city. Its unemployment rate for BA-holders is a low 2.6% and 3.77% of the city’s workers are in tech. Tech workers in Nebraska’s largest city earn a median salary of $75,890. That may be the lowest median tech salary on our top ten list, but it’s 1.69 times the city’s average salary.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Henrik Stenson is giving (Mutual of) Omaha huge international name recognition at The Open for the past few days!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 4574 times