Omaha ALL OVER national media lately

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Slowmaha
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Omaha ALL OVER national media lately

Post by Slowmaha »

NovakOmaha wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:With the NCAA Tournament going on right now, there's a bunch of articles out there on Omaha right now.

I came across a series of blog articles from NewsOK.com:

Welcome to Nebraska ... where they have Arbor Day, green buildings and mobster steakhouses

Day 2 in Omaha: Lots more basketball than Day 1

Day 3 in Omaha: A long run, weird 80s music and a game to cover

I found it funny how the writer was amazed about I-80 being seven lanes:
About an hour later, we rolled back cross the Nebraska stateline and into Omaha — and soon found ourselves on a seven-lane highway.

Yes, SEVEN lanes in Omaha.

Seven lanes going our direction, and I suspect there were seven lanes going the other way. What are they doing with seven-lane highways in Omaha? I know that the Omaha metro also includes Council Bluffs, Iowa, as well as Offutt Air Force Base, but I thought maybe I’d missed some sort of mass migration. I did a little googling, and I did not miss anything. Omaha’s metro area has a population of 1.3 million. Oklahoma City’s metro area is 1.3 million.

We don’t have seven-lane highways in Oklahoma City!
Since when does Metro Omaha have 1.3 million people?  Did they annex Lincoln?

I think it's "Metro Area" or "Metropolitan Statistical Area".. Seems to me to be kind of an arbitrary lumping of more heavily populated areas.. Looks like the Omaha MSA includes Council Bluffs but NOT Lincoln..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha%E2%8 ... tical_Area" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Meh. I'd feel more enthused if this person was recognizing our amazing public transport system, or street cars, or light rail, or something other than a clear indication that the city is addicted to cars.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I think she got the CSA or something about 50 mile radius. Somewhere online it does say 1.3 million.
All in all it was a good series for Omaha. Yeah, Omaha is addicted to cars. In fairness so is OKC. No excuse of course.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/trave ... .html?_r=0

A piece from the NYT travel section about Omaha restaurants.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

RNcyanide wrote:Meh. I'd feel more enthused if this person was recognizing our amazing public transport system, or street cars, or light rail, or something other than a clear indication that the city is addicted to cars.
Good press is always great to have but I think I would be awesome if they could brag about a great mass transit system. I would love to see the community and the politicians join forces to take Omaha to the next level and upgrade mass transit instead of widening the interstate.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

We got some good pub on Citylab and Huffpo recently about the new bus system.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

What's up with Nebraska? State shows independent streak
Associated Press wrote:The state is among the nation's most conservative, with Republicans controlling all of state government. But by the time the legislative session had ended last week, lawmakers had repealed the death penalty, legalized licenses for certain immigrants brought to the country illegally as children, raised the state fuel tax and come close to approving a medical marijuana bill.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The Unicameral is the shizz, yo.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

[youtube][/youtube]
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Great segment.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

2015’s Best & Worst Cities for Staycations

#14 Overall

Overall, Omaha ranked No. 10 for recreation activities, which looked at the number of shopping centers, public golf courses, tennis courts, and per 100,000 residents, plus bicycle lanes, paths and routes per square mile.

Omaha ranked No. 4 for most tennis courts per 100,000 residents, according to WalletHub.

For food and entertainment, researchers looked at movie and bowling costs, as well as number museums, zoos and cultural attractions per 100,000 residents. Omaha came in at No. 23.

Beauty salon and maid service costs were just some of the considerations for rest and relaxation where Omaha was No. 18.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Did anyone see a Fox 42 segment on baby Alpaca that went to a local pet shop and now is accepting visitors? A friend saw that and wanted to take her grandson, but didn't hear the store name.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Ernie had a mention in The Economist this week. (Yeah, I know that's more international than national.) ;)
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Ranked #2 on livability's 2015 Best Foodie Cities Ranking:

10 Best Foodie Cities

Top 10 Best Foodie Cities, 2015
1. Coral Gables, FL
2. Omaha, NE
3. Pittsburgh, PA
4. Duluth, MN
5. Rockville, MD
6. Bellevue, WA
7. Stamford, CT
8. Tempe, AZ
9. Burlington, VT
10. Walnut Creek, CA
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

From the article:

It’s only natural that restaurants in Omaha, Neb., lead the nation in utilizing local ingredients and the farm-to-table movement. Farms raising lamb, pigs, cows and a variety of vegetables surround Omaha, giving local chefs a bounty of fresh, sustainable food choices. Residents tend to dine at independent restaurants and strongly support local farmers, acquiring many ingredients at markets or co-ops. This makes Omaha one of the Top 10 Foodie Cities in the country.
Food drives the economy in Omaha, which is home to one of largest food companies in the world, ConAgra Foods. Sean Connolly, the company’s new chief executive officer, recently told the Omaha World-Herald that he enjoys checking out the city’s restaurant scene. One of his first dining experiences in Omaha took place at Boiler Room, considered by many to be among the best restaurants in the state. The Boiler Room’s menu showcases the products of local growers, many of which offer organic produce and grass-fed meats. Both Boiler Room and Grey Plume have garnered much praise from national food critics, including the James Beard Foundation. Reviews on Yelp give high marks to Modern Love, a vegan and vegetarian restaurant, Mahogany Prime Steakhouse and Block 16, which serves what it calls “farm-to-table street food.” Block 16’s menu ranges from buttermilk fried chicken to hand-pattied burgers and duck fat fries.
One of the biggest misconceptions about Omaha, from those who haven’t been here, is that the city lacks diversity. This certainly isn’t the case when it come to food. Some of the most popular restaurants in Omaha include Lalibela Ethiopian Restaurant, Laos Thai Kitchen and Amsterdam Falafel & Kabob. La Casa Pizzeria, a family-owned restaurant that opened in 1953, was recently inducted into the Pizza Hall of Fame.
Don’t Miss: dinner and dessert at Dario’s Brasserie, brunch at Lot 2, an evening at J. Coco"
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I think it has only been lately that our top chefs have embraced the Farm to Table philosophy. OneLocalFood could probably expand on this... But, if this trend continues the way a lot of us hope, this could be the very trademark of Omaha Cuisine. I know there are many people behind the scenes trying to make this happen in a big way. I know that the Over Easy owner was pushing for tax break legislation, that I mentioned last year, to help grow this industry...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Found it:
Postby Coyote » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:31 pm

I just sat down with Nick Bartholomew of Over Easy this morning and he told me about a legislative bill that Sen. Ashford will help introduce next session on a local farm to table project known as ONE Local, I hope to learn more in the next few days, but it sounds like a great new venture for the farm to market concept in the Omaha area, supported by many restaurants, Chefs and farms already.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

These Are America’s 10 Worst States To Live In
mississippi 1
florida 2
alabama 3
arizona 4
nevada 5
west_virginia 6
new_mexico 7
tennessee 8
georgia 9
alaska 10
Best states
Nebraska
Iowa
Wyoming
North Dakota
Minnesota
this is the criteria we used:

Population Density (The lower the worse)
Highest Unemployment Rates
Adjusted Median Income (Median income adjusted for the cost of living)
High Housing Vacancy Rate
Education (Low expenditures per student and high Student Teacher Ratio)
Long Commute Times
High Crime
The Worst Weather
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Which Midwest downtowns are booming? Here are four of them
Omaha
How big of an impact can a baseball stadium have on a city’s downtown? In Omaha, TD Ameritrade Park has had a major one.
The park is home to the annual College World Series and also hosts Creighton University baseball games throughout the season. On game days, visitors flock to downtown Omaha.
The city’s CenturyLink Center helps, too. This combination of convention center and arena is home to college basketball and hockey games throughout the year. It also hosts plenty of concerts and special events. Like the baseball stadium, it brings people to the heart of the city, which is good for the area’s restaurants and shops.
Then there’s the former Burlington train station. KETV Channel 7 is now transforming the empty station into a television studio. This is another big move for the city. The building is 117 years old, and had been mostly ignored for years.
- See more at: http://www.rejournals.com/2015/09/10/wh ... ai94o.dpuf
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Good company.
15-17, 26, 32
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

skinzfan23 wrote:Which Midwest downtowns are booming? Here are four of them
Omaha
How big of an impact can a baseball stadium have on a city’s downtown? In Omaha, TD Ameritrade Park has had a major one.
The park is home to the annual College World Series and also hosts Creighton University baseball games throughout the season. On game days, visitors flock to downtown Omaha.
The city’s CenturyLink Center helps, too. This combination of convention center and arena is home to college basketball and hockey games throughout the year. It also hosts plenty of concerts and special events. Like the baseball stadium, it brings people to the heart of the city, which is good for the area’s restaurants and shops.
Then there’s the former Burlington train station. KETV Channel 7 is now transforming the empty station into a television studio. This is another big move for the city. The building is 117 years old, and had been mostly ignored for years.

I certainly think the recognition is warranted, but let's be honest, it's in spite of, not because of the ballpark. The thing takes up a block and sits empty for the vast majority of the year.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Professor Woland wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Which Midwest downtowns are booming? Here are four of them
Omaha

I certainly think the recognition is warranted, but let's be honest, it's in spite of, not because of the ballpark. The thing takes up a block and sits empty for the vast majority of the year.
I think the ballpark is more of a plus than minus...but they certainly missed the mark by not describing all of the other things happening downtown recently or planned to happen soon....Shamrock, Civic/Tetrad, Lanoha, Bluebarn, Lot B, Little Italy, HDR HQ.....etc. We need to get a high rise residential tower going soon though....like the others in the top four.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

We'll be getting a mid-rise with Capital. I think with all the low rise residential infill popcorning up all over the place, it more than makes up for it. I'd rather see beautiful early 20th century buildings restored and made into apartments than have a generic looking high-rise.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

RNcyanide wrote:We'll be getting a mid-rise with Capital. I think with all the low rise residential infill popcorning up all over the place, it more than makes up for it. I'd rather see beautiful early 20th century buildings restored and made into apartments than have a generic looking high-rise.
As long as the apartments are actually cool on the inside. Too many rehabs look like econoboxes on the inside. Otherwise, give me well engineered warm all winter modern.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

bigredmed wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:We'll be getting a mid-rise with Capital. I think with all the low rise residential infill popcorning up all over the place, it more than makes up for it. I'd rather see beautiful early 20th century buildings restored and made into apartments than have a generic looking high-rise.
As long as the apartments are actually cool on the inside. Too many rehabs look like econoboxes on the inside. Otherwise, give me well engineered warm all winter modern.
I totally agree. Modern design is something that looks great in Omaha.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

daveoma wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
I totally agree. Modern design is something that looks great in Omaha.
If I get to choose between living in a rehabed old building that meets your urban design tastes, but is cold and drafty because they used heat pumps instead of furnaces, or a modern, and energy efficient warm building, you are going to lose. Been there and done that and got the chills to prove it.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Omaha was the hometown of Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz in NBC's The Wiz Live last night. I've never heard someone want to go back to Omaha so much before...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Garrett wrote:Omaha was the hometown of Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz in NBC's The Wiz Live last night. I've never heard someone want to go back to Omaha so much before...
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/nbc-finall ... ive-229325
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Garrett wrote:Omaha was the hometown of Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz in NBC's The Wiz Live last night. I've never heard someone want to go back to Omaha so much before...
I did in my mid-twenties when I lived in Dallas.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Alamo Drafthouse's Star Wars themed lobby was "trending" on Facebook for awhile on Wednesday and was featured in Entertainment Weekly and Variety:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/01/st ... ater-alamo

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star- ... 201650966/
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Not that i have any desire to go to a chain out in LaVista when there is a locally owned and operated theater in Aksarben, but soon as I heard it was Star Wars themed, I knew for sure this place was not for me!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:Not that i have any desire to go to a chain out in LaVista when there is a locally owned and operated theater in Aksarben, but soon as I heard it was Star Wars themed, I knew for sure this place was not for me!
It is just in the ticket area. It stops there.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Well, we made national news again. Stay away from hypnotist acts.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/youre-ge ... -happened/
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

The Daily Show was in town doing a segment about the Tri-Faith Intiative. It will air sometime soon.

http://m.omaha.com/go/tv/daily-show-seg ... l?mode=jqm
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

NEBRASKA AWARDED GOVERNOR’S CUP BY SITE SELECTION MAGAZINE
KTIC wrote:Site Selection magazine has awarded Nebraska with its Governor’s Cup as the number two state in the nation in 2015 with the most qualifying new and expanded facilities per capita.

Site Selection named the City of Omaha number one of its 2015 Top Tier 2 Metro Areas for Corporate Project Attractions and Expansions.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:NEBRASKA AWARDED GOVERNOR’S CUP BY SITE SELECTION MAGAZINE
KTIC wrote:Site Selection magazine has awarded Nebraska with its Governor’s Cup as the number two state in the nation in 2015 with the most qualifying new and expanded facilities per capita.

Site Selection named the City of Omaha number one of its 2015 Top Tier 2 Metro Areas for Corporate Project Attractions and Expansions.

Omaha rocks :clap:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.openminds.tv/omaha-police-of ... nter/36517
A Nebraska police officer in Omaha reported watching a slow-moving triangle UFO under 500 feet above a local Walmart store, according to testimony in Case 74492 from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.
The police officer was patrolling the area near Walmart and looked up and saw the triangle-shaped craft at 5:38 p.m. on January 13, 2016.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Glad there is a picture for proof

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.openminds.tv/omaha-police-of ... nter/36517
A Nebraska police officer in Omaha reported watching a slow-moving triangle UFO under 500 feet above a local Walmart store, according to testimony in Case 74492 from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.
The police officer was patrolling the area near Walmart and looked up and saw the triangle-shaped craft at 5:38 p.m. on January 13, 2016.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Totally not just a military plane or anything...
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Pretty sure it is a piece of pizza . . . pepperoni I believe.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.