Wabash Trace Nature Trail

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

Wabash Trace Nature Trail

Post by icejammer »

For all you bike riders out there, looking to get back in shape (or just to have a good time)...
The 22-mile Wabash Warm-up party ride will be June 7 beginning at Bowley Bistro & Coffee Ground in Malvern at 10 a.m. A $10 donation is requested that goes directly to the Wabash Trace for maintenance costs. There will be bridge stops along the trail with live local music and beverages.

The ride is in celebration of National Trails Day and is a fundraiser for the Wabash Trace.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Re: Wabash Trace Nature Trail

Post by Brad »

I see on the Wabash Trace Nature Trail Facebook page they are re-decking a some of the bridges. Looks like they are using a composite material this time around.

Wabash Trace Nature Trail Facebook Page
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Brad wrote:I see on the Wabash Trace Nature Trail Facebook page they are re-decking a some of the bridges.  Looks like they are using a composite material this time around.

Wabash Trace Nature Trail Facebook Page
I'm actually not that thrilled with the re-decking, I liked the rumble of the old wood as you rode across it. Took all the character away from them.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

19th-Century bridges on Wabash Trace getting recycled plastic lumber

The Wabash Trace runs 63 miles from the trailhead in Council Bluffs all the way to the Missouri border near Blanchard. It's covered in bridges, some of them dating back to the 19th Century like the one behind me. I’m your southwest Iowa neighborhood reporter Katrina Markel and I am just south of Malvern where a crew is getting ready to replace the decking on this bridge.

Two Nineteenth-Century truss bridges, that used to carry trains and are now part of the Wabash Trace Nature Trail, are getting new decking for the trail to remain safe and usable.

The organization that manages the trace is using a composite lumber made from recycled plastic, which should be more durable.

“The trail has been a very important piece of tourism for southwest Iowa. The traffic from the trail has kept a lot of these businesses, especially bars and restaurants in these smaller towns going,” said Becca Castle Laughlin.