Impact of development on jobless in north Omaha

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Impact of development on jobless in north Omaha

Post by eomaha »

Yet another positive of recent downtown developments... jobs... and I'm talking the unskilled ones. While one wouldn't normally think of maid, bell hop type jobs as important to the economy... no doubt they're important to nearby north Omaha which has by far the metros highest unemployment rate. All it takes is some -decent- paying jobs to foster support an increased presence of restaurant/retail/entertainment.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u ... sid=999769
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I was one of the 2,300 :) .

Yes, indeed, I went down to the job fair on Saturday and put in my aplication to be a Valet Attendent. I need some sort of income while I'm in college, and I figured it would be a great job. Parking people's cars, making great tips, and working on Omaha's doorstep welcoming travelers who are new to Omaha. It's right up my alley!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I would expect you'd be a sure bet for that job Aaron! You haven't been accumulating speeding tickets in the 'silver bullet' have you? :D
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I don't have a single traffic infraction to my name!:)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Aaron, whatever happened with your possible internship at HDR?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The internship is a sure thing, however, the planning department does not currently have funding for the position. So, I am interning for them "pro bono" until they get funding. Given the circumstances, I thought I would check out this valet parking job to have some income. Plus, I could definitely do both jobs, because the Hilton job would just be nights and weekends. And I'll make good tips :wink: .