Omaha Local News Channels

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Which evening news do you watch the most (5p 6p 10p)

KMTV Channel 3 (No Cable/Dish)
2%
KMTV Channel 3 (With Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (No Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (With Cable/Dish)
21%
KETV Channel 7 (No Cable/Dish)
13%
KETV Channel 7 (With Cable/Dish)
31%
KPTM Channel 42 (No Cable/Dish)
1%
KPTM Channel 42 (With Cable/Dish)
2%
I don't watch Local News
13%
I don't have a TV
5%
I watch whatever channel it happens to be on
1%
I watch whatever the TV in the Bar is showing
5%

Total votes: 127

bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

S33 wrote:Yeah, former police chief Alex Hays seems to be in the mix now, too. Make it official or squash the rumors already.
If this is true, did it occur before he decided to retire, and then if so, can his pension be altered because he was not fired when he should have been?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

bbinks wrote:
S33 wrote:Yeah, former police chief Alex Hays seems to be in the mix now, too. Make it official or squash the rumors already.
If this is true, did it occur before he decided to retire, and then if so, can his pension be altered because he was not fired when he should have been?
Yeah, I have no idea. Honestly, when it comes to these prostitution stings, I would be disappointed to see someone with that many years of public service lose their pension and go down in flames - just for paying for sex.

Was it wrong, yes. Worthy of losing his retirement, not if I were in charge of things.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Off of the current topic, and back to the original, I try to stick to channel 3 news through cable, just because Im a huge supporter of Todd n Tyler, and they are part of the same company, and there used to be a little bit of advertising during the TNT shows.  Either way, the local news is usually pretty boring & worthless...
Benmeg98
New to the Neighborhood

Channel 7 news is not HD

Post by Benmeg98 »

How can you be the most popular local news station in Omaha but do not broadcast in HD? Makes our city look so redneck.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

What does HD have to do with redneck?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: Channel 7 news is not HD

Post by bigredmed »

Benmeg98 wrote:How can you be the most popular local news station in Omaha but do not broadcast in HD? Makes our city look so redneck.
Channel 7 broadcasts in 1080P.  They have a traveling wave antenna for their new freq in UHF channel 20 on their main tranmitter.  They had a studio feed to Cox, but some fight with Cox messed this up.   That may be what you are seeing.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

First world problems.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Benmeg98
New to the Neighborhood

KETV Channel 7 news not HD

Post by Benmeg98 »

KETV Omaha broadcast in HD for national TV news and shows but they do not have equipment to produce local news in HD. Watch it on a 55" or larger and you will see the difference. That's why WOWT channel 6 even puts an HD logo on the screen during the news and makes an announcement saying their news is in HD. Just look at the difference! KETV never says their news is in HD, because it's not. I emailed them once and their response was they broadcast in digital? Cheap owner, I guess.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I just flipped on the TV and WOWT was doing one of the "non local" stories later in the news.  I left it on that channel and NBC nightly news did the same story?  Don't they communicate?  Why would WOWT run the same national story that NBC is going to run?  Its not like it was big time news, it was some health story.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Brad wrote:I just flipped on the TV and WOWT was doing one of the "non local" stories later in the news.  I left it on that channel and NBC nightly news did the same story?  Don't they communicate?  Why would WOWT run the same national story that NBC is going to run?  Its not like it was big time news, it was some health story.
Answer:  They just don't care.  About the viewer.  About the product they produce.  About anything but the bottom line.  Sad.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:
Brad wrote:I just flipped on the TV and WOWT was doing one of the "non local" stories later in the news.  I left it on that channel and NBC nightly news did the same story?  Don't they communicate?  Why would WOWT run the same national story that NBC is going to run?  Its not like it was big time news, it was some health story.
Answer:  They just don't care.  About the viewer.  About the product they produce.  About anything but the bottom line.  Sad.
Well I got another "Don't Care" story.  at the 6pm news, after the weather they showed the ConAgra ice rink and Malorie said "Look at all those people".  It was nothing compared to the weekend, I would say less than 1/3 of normal.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Since we moved in 2008 from Omaha to Detroit we watch channel 4, the NBC affiliate here.  If you go to http://www.clickondetroit.com they stream their local news live.  Take a look sometime if you'd like.  (One thing.  For whatever reason they black out the commercials so don't freak out when the screen goes blank)

It may just be me, but I find the anchors to be in a whole different league than channel 6 in Omaha.  The weather staff is personable without resorting to Jim Flowers-like exageration.  The sports team is good & funny, especially Bernie.  The anchors are able to banter without being plastic or obnoxious.  

Again, it always comes down to what you want out of news, but when we were in Omaha a couple of weeks ago I turned on the news & it was channel 6.  I had to turn off the tv after 3 minutes.  It was sad.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I've started watching WOWT more often just for the humor of it. Maybe that can be their nitch.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Brad wrote:Why would WOWT run the same national story that NBC is going to run?
It fills up time. Same as reading Facebook comments and passing them off as news. Low-cost, low effort.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Id have to say that all of the Omaha anchors are pretty lame.  They over-exaggerate, as stated before, and they try so hard to convince you that the latest facebook comment is interesting news.  Im sure its an extremely hard job to do well, but they all irritate me enough to force me to get my local news from the websites instead of the tv, just so I dont have to listen to or hear them.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Silverspoon wrote:Id have to say that all of the Omaha anchors are pretty lame.  They over-exaggerate, as stated before, and they try so hard to convince you that the latest facebook comment is interesting news.  Im sure its an extremely hard job to do well, but they all irritate me enough to force me to get my local news from the websites instead of the tv, just so I dont have to listen to or hear them.
It isn't a hard job to do well.  It's just that it's easier and more profitable to hire a talking head that can read what someone else has written for them.  It's also cheaper to have them read facebook posts and introduce canned stories from the network or other outlets that ownership subscribes to.  Does anyone here think that John Knicely or Tracy Madden or Malorie Maddox EVER wrote their own copy?  Ever actually went to s breaking news event & had to report live?  THAT is a scary thought.  

It's about money & the illusion of quality.  "The people you know, the news you trust"  Say it enough & the unwashed masses believe it.  I've played basketball with John Knicely.  I wouldn't let him take out my kids wisdom teeth and I wouldn't trust him to relate the local news.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lt. Darci Tierney wrote:Jim Flowers was never arrested for prostitution by the Omaha Police Department, which can be verified with a history check. Before you spread rumors, you should verify the information otherwise they are just rumors.
Brad
City Council

Jim Flowers to KMTV Action 3 News

Post by Brad »

Jim Flowers to KMTV Action 3 News
KMTV wrote:All of us at KMTV are very excited to have Jim Flowers join our Weather Alert team. Our plan is for Jim to begin delivering his weather casts on KMTV and our Journal Radio stations early this summer.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Completing the Trifecta....

7 - KETV 1985-1992
6 - WOWT 1992-2012
3 - KMTV 2013
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Good for them and good for him. But I know there is a joke here somewhere...
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

I didn't see this one coming  :o
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

S33 wrote:But I know there is a joke here somewhere...
So it looks like Jim Flowers gets a Happy Ending after all...

Sorry not my joke, but its funny!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

nice
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

Jim Flowers is going to KMTV apparently...
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

10thstgoober wrote:Jim Flowers is going to KMTV apparently...
I doubt Jim will take KMTV from 3rd place.   So what do they do?  Fire Ryan McPike to make room for Flowers?    
Not very classy.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

KMTV fires everyone every 5 minutes... It's kinda their style.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I wonder if he will start off doing weekends and mornings?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Channel 6 Has hired Mike LaPoint (Chief Meteorologist) and Cheryl Lemke to replace Jim Flowers.

Wonder why they have/need 5 weather people or is someone else is leaving...
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

Brad wrote:Channel 6 Has hired Mike LaPoint (Chief Meteorologist) and Cheryl Lemke to replace Jim Flowers.

Interesting ... just saw the commercial.
On facebook they said we will see all five of them starting Thursday
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Collin wrote:
Brad wrote:Channel 6 Has hired Mike LaPoint (Chief Meteorologist) and Cheryl Lemke to replace Jim Flowers.

Interesting ... just saw the commercial.
On facebook they said we will see all five of them starting Thursday
Easy, One for each weekday and they take turns on weekends.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Channel 6 has to make a run at Channel 7 to try to get back to the #1 spot.   Their weather was constantly getting beat under Flowers.   Maybe they are going to try to get a leg up in this area?
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

bigredmed wrote:Channel 6 has to make a run at Channel 7 to try to get back to the #1 spot.   Their weather was constantly getting beat under Flowers.   Maybe they are going to try to get a leg up in this area?
Isn't channel 7 still the #1 spot?   Randby and team were more accurate than Flowers and team.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

5 Meteorologists?  That is more weather people than they have as reporters, I suspect.

The "new" guy is from OKC and has worked in TV Weather for 20 years.

And Cheryl Lemke, I think she used to be on The Weather Channel, like 10 years ago.

Still, why not go with Rusty Lord?  He is really good, and not at all sensational in his reporting.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

bbinks wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Channel 6 has to make a run at Channel 7 to try to get back to the #1 spot.   Their weather was constantly getting beat under Flowers.   Maybe they are going to try to get a leg up in this area?
Isn't channel 7 still the #1 spot?   Randby and team were more accurate than Flowers and team.
Yeah, sorry, I should have been more clear.

KETV was constantly beating WOWT in weather and given that they are a wash in sports, and both suck at news, and news is more expensive, it seems logical that 6 would try to bump up their weather coverage in an attempt to get back to #1.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

They should add more adjectives to the name of their doppler radar.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Doppler Radar is Doppler.
Stable genius.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Not according to some of these stations:

http://www.gowally.com/wx/radar.html
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Both new meteorologists made their debut at WOWT last night. LaPoint kind of sounds like a used car salesman.
Filthy McNasty
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Filthy McNasty »

Big E wrote:Doppler Radar is Doppler.
Something like the Binford Model 6000 Doppler Analyzer/MixMaster/Manure Spreader?