Omaha Local News Channels

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Which evening news do you watch the most (5p 6p 10p)

KMTV Channel 3 (No Cable/Dish)
2%
KMTV Channel 3 (With Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (No Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (With Cable/Dish)
21%
KETV Channel 7 (No Cable/Dish)
13%
KETV Channel 7 (With Cable/Dish)
31%
KPTM Channel 42 (No Cable/Dish)
1%
KPTM Channel 42 (With Cable/Dish)
2%
I don't watch Local News
13%
I don't have a TV
5%
I watch whatever channel it happens to be on
1%
I watch whatever the TV in the Bar is showing
5%

Total votes: 127

nativeomahan
County Board

Re: Omaha Local News Channels

Post by nativeomahan »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
bbinks wrote:Is his contract not being renewed, or is he in fact retiring?
My GUESS would be that when he got hired he negotiated a nice fat contract that was based on the premise that he was going to help channel 3's bad ratings. His contract his now up and the ratings never went up and channel 3 is now telling him that he can stay but they will only pay him half of what he was making before.
I am guessing you are correct.
Can anyone name all of the meteorologists currently working for channel 3? Or for that matter any of the local TV stations? The lineup seems to change practically monthly.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

mrsticka wrote:If KMTV wants to get their ratings back up, they could get "Jeopardy!" and "Wheel of Fortune" back on their station. Why those shows air on 2 different stations beats me.
New episodes of both shows are distributed by different networks. NBC distributes Jeopardy and CBS, Wheel of Fortune
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

jessep28 wrote:
mrsticka wrote:If KMTV wants to get their ratings back up, they could get "Jeopardy!" and "Wheel of Fortune" back on their station. Why those shows air on 2 different stations beats me.
New episodes of both shows are distributed by different networks. NBC distributes Jeopardy and CBS, Wheel of Fortune
No, both shows are distributed by CBS and owned by Sony.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

mrsticka wrote:
jessep28 wrote:
No, both shows are distributed by CBS and owned by Sony.
I misread the Wikipedia article. Apparently if a show is in syndication, any station regardless of network affiliation can buy the rights to air it.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Back in the 80's and early 90's, KMTV carried both shows. Then "Jeopardy!" moved to WOWT and "Wheel of Fortune" went to KETV and that's where they've been ever since.

If KMTV's so worried about their allegedly abysmal ratings, they ought to at least consider bringing those shows back on their station.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Has anyone else noticed KETV covering more Lincoln stories lately? I always wonder if they'll ever consolidate markets to save money.
15-17, 26, 32
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Anybody remember the "3" logo KMTV used from 1986 (when they switched from NBC to CBS) to 1999? I wish they still used it today. It was a very nice looking logo.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

mrsticka wrote:Anybody remember the "3" logo KMTV used from 1986 (when they switched from NBC to CBS) to 1999? I wish they still used it today. It was a very nice looking logo.
What I do remember from that era was called by some in the ad biz as "Battle of Midlands vs. Heartland" where KMTV was stuck on the term "Midlands" and injected it as often as possible into their local news stories and likewise, WOWT was stuck on the term "Heartland" and did the same. KMTV backed off around 2000, but WOWT used the term ad nauseam until the early 2000-teens.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

This is the "3" logo KMTV used from 1986 to 1999. I wish they still used it today. And today marks 30 years ago when they switched from NBC to CBS.

jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

MTO wrote:Has anyone else noticed KETV covering more Lincoln stories lately? I always wonder if they'll ever consolidate markets to save money.
KETV's parent company does not have a Lincoln station. Gray Television, which owns WOWT, operates KSNB (NBC Nebraska), and KOLN (CBS, 10/11 NEWS). The Fox affiliate, KFXL, is owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group.

The Lincoln news may just be KETV attempting to expand its news coverage.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

jessep28 wrote:The Lincoln news may just be KETV attempting to expand its news coverage.
More likely trying to expand their client base. :)
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

MTO wrote:Has anyone else noticed KETV covering more Lincoln stories lately? I always wonder if they'll ever consolidate markets to save money.
No more than usual. They've always covered some Lincoln stories and have had their "Lincoln Bureau" as long as I can remember. People either don't know or forget that Lincoln has only had an ABC station for about 20 years so KETV was used to having to effectively cover both cities and still has a viewership base in Lincoln despite KLKN.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Another thing about Lincoln stories… Is it just me or is there an upswing and violent crime in Lincoln this year? More violent crime, more stories to cover…
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Yeah, I don't think that Lincoln had one homicide last year. It seems they are keeping pace with Omaha this year with homicides. Maybe that's why Lincoln has been in the news here more.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I'm sorry, I know this is majorly picky, but it just annoys me to no end!

Just a few minutes ago, channel 3. "... Just go to www dot Toyota dot com BACKSLASH recalls ..."

Jeesh!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Alex Hoffman: Gone. Back to SoDak to become a full-time momma. Good for her!
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Brad wrote:Jim Flowers is retiring
at 4pm I announced that July1 will be my last day on the air here at KM. Goals that I set for myself and the weather department have been achieved. Induction into the Press Club hall of fame tops a career that spans 37 years and is a great way to walk away. I will continue working, looking at several opportunities now. Thanks to all of you for a great 3 1/2 years. It's been fun! Highlights of my career each night the last week of June...
Based on his Facebook page despite being very diplomatic it seems like Jim Flowers was "forced" out of KMTV. Combined with Brad's statement that I'm quoting and what he is putting on Facebook, you don't "look for opportunities to serve the community: if you are the chief meteorologist on one of the stations.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

How old is Jim Flowers? (No, Google did not seem to help on this one.)
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Omababe wrote:How old is Jim Flowers? (No, Google did not seem to help on this one.)
I saw on his LinkedIn page that he was first in college in 1972, so if he graduated from high school the same year, I am going to guess 61-62.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
bbinks wrote:Is his contract not being renewed, or is he in fact retiring?
My GUESS would be that when he got hired he negotiated a nice fat contract that was based on the premise that he was going to help channel 3's bad ratings. His contract his now up and the ratings never went up and channel 3 is now telling him that he can stay but they will only pay him half of what he was making before.

If Flowers could not bring #2 WOWT to #1, why would anyone think he would have been able to move the #3 KMTV up??
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I've seen a ghost! Julie Cornell doing the news tonight? Why!?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Busguy2010 wrote:I've seen a ghost! Julie Cornell doing the news tonight? Why!?
Alex Hoffman left, perhaps they needed a temporary fill in to cover vacations and her leaving before they have their full time anchor?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed wrote:
Alex Hoffman left, perhaps they needed a temporary fill in to cover vacations and her leaving before they have their full time anchor?
I know Melissa Fry has been working the AM newscast now that Hoffman left. Julie Cornell is listed as part of the on air "News Team" on their web site. Brandi Peterson is probably on vacation again..

As an observation, the past 6 months, KETV has lost a significant amount of on air talent.. It's been a revolving door over there.. I'm used to seeing that on WOWT or KMTV3.. I wonder what's up lately at KETV 7?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

3 of those who have left have gone to Orlando. Adrian, Kyle, and Amanda all are at WESH now.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Is it just me or did she come back with a mega face lift or a bunch of botox or both?
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
As an observation, the past 6 months, KETV has lost a significant amount of on air talent.. It's been a revolving door over there.. I'm used to seeing that on WOWT or KMTV3.. I wonder what's up lately at KETV 7?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Because they hire better people, therefore they lose them. There isn't one reporter at Seven with the level of incompetence as those reporterettes at 3 or 6.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Is it just me or did she come back with a mega face lift or a bunch of botox or both?
She's the last person on earth that *needs* work done. Great marriage, great mom as far as I can tell, Bill doesn't come across as someone who needs a trophy...

That said, I agree w/ you--something's different. Mebbe she's eating better, I dunno.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

damonhynes wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Because they hire better people, therefore they lose them. There isn't one reporter at Seven with the level of incompetence as those reporterettes at 3 or 6.
No arguing the eye test on that one. 7, while not perfect by any means, far exceeds 3 and 6 in on air professionalism, accuracy, delivery etc etc.. And we won't even include KPTM..

This said, I find it a bit amusing that KETV 7, who goes a long way promoting they hire hometown people (who know Omaha and want to live in Omaha) to deliver "our hometowns most accurate news, weather and sports", seemingly has turned into a revolving door of talent loss since January..

The reality is, Omaha is a transient television market. Whether the on air talent is Omaha bred or not, a goodly number have a goal to want to leave for the "next, best, bigger market"..

I've obviously never measured this, but my guess is about 20%, maybe that number is closer to 10%, are hired as on air talent in Omaha television and stay at least 5 years...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

And KETV is still largely watched here in County #2.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I've never thought of Omaha as a destination market for newsies. More like a springboard.

I do admit that KETV is probably the best, for this market that is. The two anchors, Melissa and Brandi (Brandy?) seem to have been there longer than most.

I usually end up watching (rather listening to) KMTV in the morning while getting ready, mainly because the set has been on that channel the night before. :)
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Considering how badly they are paid, they either move up to an anchor or weekend sports guy spot, or they gave to keep moving up markets to stay in the profession. Lots of them bale and go into PR or marketing.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bigredmed wrote:Considering how badly they are paid, they either move up to an anchor or weekend sports guy spot, or they gave to keep moving up markets to stay in the profession. Lots of them bale and go into PR or marketing.
Just how badly are they paid?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omababe wrote:I've never thought of Omaha as a destination market for newsies. More like a springboard.
Solid observation. The way I see Omaha as a TV market- it's a top 75 market (#74 standing alone)..top 50- #44, if Nielsen would pull their heads out of the sand and combine Omaha/Lincoln together as one market. Lincolnites actively watch Omaha TV stations, I did when I lived there during my college days..

My point is, Omaha is a large enough a market not to be an entry level job on air.. There are 210 total TV markets.. Omaha is usually job #2 or #3 on the ladder.. Usually the next job (after Omaha) is quite near the "ultimate" job.. Perhaps a top 25-30 market job.. From what I've been told, it's rare an on screen talent comes to Omaha as their 1st on air job.. Usually they've cut their teeth in a smaller market or 2 before they step up to Omaha.. This said, the product currently presented to the public SHOULD be better..and I submit it was better in the 70's, 80's and into the 90's.. When I watch the local news, the last 15 years, I just shake my head at what I see sometimes..

Anywho.. As it relates to pay, I'm not certain how that's all structured. But anyone who might be in the know, please feel free to contribute...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Coyote wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Considering how badly they are paid, they either move up to an anchor or weekend sports guy spot, or they gave to keep moving up markets to stay in the profession. Lots of them bale and go into PR or marketing.
Just how badly are they paid?
From what I have been told, the anchors and the weekend sports team do ok. The reporters don't. They move up asap or move to a station that will give them an anchor job. Failing that, they usually leave the industry.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:Just how badly are they paid?
My semi-educated guess is that on-camera talent in this market starts out $40k-ish and typically moves up to around $60k-ish before a successful anchor moves on.

A true "star" in this market would probably pull $80k-$90k at most, maybe. I really do not think this market (as in airtime sales) would support anything higher.

I have not worked in this field for over 20 years so these numbers may be a bit off.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Brandi Petersen is leaving KETV which likely somewhat explains the sudden seemingly random re-appearance of Julie Cornell. At the very least she allows them more time to search. With Melissa Fry moving to the mornings they really don't have anyone at KETV right now that you'd think would step up to anchoring evenings.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Mr.Nuke wrote:Brandi Petersen is leaving KETV which likely somewhat explains the sudden seemingly random re-appearance of Julie Cornell. At the very least she allows them more time to search. With Melissa Fry moving to the mornings they really don't have anyone at KETV right now that you'd think would step up to anchoring evenings.
Brandi announced she has a new Job at Westside school district and wanted more evenings to spend time with her kids
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Mr.Nuke wrote:Brandi Petersen is leaving KETV which likely somewhat explains the sudden seemingly random re-appearance of Julie Cornell. At the very least she allows them more time to search. With Melissa Fry moving to the mornings they really don't have anyone at KETV right now that you'd think would step up to anchoring evenings.
And the revolving door at KETV continues. I only caught the tail end of her announcement, but it sounds like she's staying in Omaha working within the Westside school district..

I said it a week or so ago, but something is up at KETV 7.. It'll be interesting to see who is hired to replace Petersen as lead co-anchor with Rob McCartney...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Is it too much to ask to see Jackie Ochoa back on the air? Jeez
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
And the revolving door at KETV continues. I only caught the tail end of her announcement, but it sounds like she's staying in Omaha working within the Westside school district..

I said it a week or so ago, but something is up at KETV 7.. It'll be interesting to see who is hired to replace Petersen as lead co-anchor with Rob McCartney...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
id be very interested to know what a full time anchor desk job in the Omaha market, pays.

I feel like it cannot be a 6 figure position, at least not in this market.

Edit: just realized this was discussed above
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill