Omaha Local News Channels

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Which evening news do you watch the most (5p 6p 10p)

KMTV Channel 3 (No Cable/Dish)
2%
KMTV Channel 3 (With Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (No Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (With Cable/Dish)
21%
KETV Channel 7 (No Cable/Dish)
13%
KETV Channel 7 (With Cable/Dish)
31%
KPTM Channel 42 (No Cable/Dish)
1%
KPTM Channel 42 (With Cable/Dish)
2%
I don't watch Local News
13%
I don't have a TV
5%
I watch whatever channel it happens to be on
1%
I watch whatever the TV in the Bar is showing
5%

Total votes: 127

Padre
Human Relations

Re: Omaha Local News Channels

Post by Padre »

bigredmed1 wrote:
Silverspoon wrote:Here is an example of some of the great professionalism that I have come to expect from local news. I cant decide if this holy shirt is better than the usual plain t-shirt this chick wears on camera or not.

Hey, this is my 100th post!

https://uoxt6g.dm2301.livefilestore.com ... pmode=none
A single cold shoulder? Wonder what the designers were going for with this?
The “I survived a knife fight” look?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

When did we turn into TMZ?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Padre wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Silverspoon wrote:Here is an example of some of the great professionalism that I have come to expect from local news. I cant decide if this holy shirt is better than the usual plain t-shirt this chick wears on camera or not.

LOL

Megan Hahn is one of the worst anchors Ive seen. Im sure shes a nice person, but she is terrible.
Jim Flowers rules!
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Silverspoon wrote:
Padre wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:

LOL

Megan Hahn is one of the worst anchors Ive seen. Im sure shes a nice person, but she is terrible.
She made fun of Frankie McDonald, the autistic kid from Nova Scotia who is one of the best weather guys out there. He does it as a hobby and is quite good. He's got a You Tube channel, Twitter account and Facebook. Kid is awesome. Megan Hahn is not
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

That's too bad. Amateur forecasters aren't my cup of tea but Frankie's all right.

Dumps like Channel Third can only afford a certain type of reporter/anchor and Megan's a good example. Theis is another, Passmore too. The guys at the QuikTrip down the street prolly make more and they don't have to buy the same type of wardrobe. What I can't figure out is that Channel Sicks has a vastly larger budget and they hire the same type of newsreader.

Channel Seven spends money to make money and it shows. Their worst news personality is better than 3 and 6's best.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

debradomayer wrote:She made fun of Frankie McDonald, the autistic kid from Nova Scotia who is one of the best weather guys out there. He does it as a hobby and is quite good. He's got a You Tube channel, Twitter account and Facebook. Kid is awesome. Megan Hahn is not
No Bueno. Frankie rocks.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I noticed channel 3 has recently put up a nice big black security fence around the parking lots. Might be a good idea considering we do have a few folks out there that follow these female newscasters a little too closely for comfort. :yes:
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:I noticed channel 3 has recently put up a nice big black security fence around the parking lots. Might be a good idea considering we do have a few folks out there that follow these female newscasters a little too closely for comfort. :yes:
I only follow through the tv, not in person... :mrgreen:
Jim Flowers rules!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Since it's Thursday and there's that ever-popular social media trend of #ThrowbackThursday, I thought I'd try a new take on the old station IDs of the Omaha stations from the late 80's and early 90's. These weren't meant to be perfect, but I thought I'd try it anyway.

Back then, KMTV's newscasts were called NewsCenter 3. WOWT's were called Action News. And KETV's newscasts have always been called NewsWatch 7 for almost 40 years. I guess KETV believes in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". As for KPTM, I don't know when they first got a newscast. But I guess it was the early 90's.

But anyway, happy Throwback Thursday.

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I just checked out OmaNews on facebook. It is hilarious! So he posted a video from channel 6 and I wanted to translate and interpret it. Here you go.

Here's the video: https://www.facebook.com/wowt6news/vide ... 541637086/

Here's the snarky jaded feedback:

To be a leader in news we must report without fear.
Fear of what, exactly? The prompter failing?

We don’t run from the facts, no matter how hard the news breaks or how severe the weather.
Good to know that if it rains you won’t hide under your desk…What on earth does “no matter how hard the news breaks” mean? Bricks?

Today there are more voices and opinions have never been louder.
Ok, so your competition is Youtube? A volume control?

But it is not our opinion. It is your news and how it affects you.
Good, because banter isn’t really Six News’ strong point. To have an opinion you’d have to be capable of independent & rational thought.

To be a leader it has never been more important to do the news right.
DO the news right? Does that mean finishing right on the half hour? Not overspending? How about making sure to check sources? Is “do the news right” something under the perview of your hairstylist?

Our credibility is why you watch six news.
It might have been in the 60’s and maybe 70’s…

Because everything we do is with you in mind.
It seems that everything you do is with the bottom line in mind. How much more can Channel 6’s owners cut the budget?
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

NovakOmaha wrote:I just checked out OmaNews on facebook.
That's my page, glad you like it. The Heartland screamed for someone to take the torch from Ted Brockman, and one thing led to another...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

damonhynes wrote:
That's my page, glad you like it. The Heartland screamed for someone to take the torch from Ted Brockman, and one thing led to another...
Ha! Some good stuff right there :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

KETV going with a new graphics package on their 5 p.m. news tonight.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

damonhynes wrote:
Should spend some time on bloviating Becka. I'm surprised that gas bag is still in broadcasting.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

bbinks wrote:
damonhynes wrote:
Should spend some time on bloviating Becka. I'm surprised that gas bag is still in broadcasting.
If you put a gun to my head, I couldn't tell you what station he's on. From what I remember of him, he's like Chris Baker--even if you agree with what he's saying, he's just too smarmy and smug to put up with.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

damonhynes wrote:
bbinks wrote:
damonhynes wrote:
If you put a gun to my head, I couldn't tell you what station he's on. From what I remember of him, he's like Chris Baker--even if you agree with what he's saying, he's just too smarmy and smug to put up with.
Fox 42 news at 9. He used to be pretty moderate to right. Now he's a die hard lefty. Thinks any disagreement is a personal attack.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

bbinks wrote:
damonhynes wrote:
bbinks wrote:
damonhynes wrote:
Fox 42 news at 9. He used to be pretty moderate to right. Now he's a die hard lefty. Thinks any disagreement is a personal attack.
Thanks!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

It would seem we have a female sports anchor in Omaha. Brianna Mellon, WOWT weekends. I can't remember the last time we had a female sports anchor, or even a female sports reporter for that matter? Someone remind me.

https://twitter.com/brimellon
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Stargazer wrote:It would seem we have a female sports anchor in Omaha. Brianna Mellon, WOWT weekends. I can't remember the last time we had a female sports anchor, or even a female sports reporter for that matter? Someone remind me.

Anne Schatz. Channel 3 (back when they gave a damn).
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Stargazer wrote:It would seem we have a female sports anchor in Omaha. Brianna Mellon, WOWT weekends. I can't remember the last time we had a female sports anchor, or even a female sports reporter for that matter? Someone remind me.

Female on Action 3 News as the 3rd member of the sports team is Grace Yowell. Not too bad at her job considering the two douchebags ahead of her, but also very very beautiful.
Jim Flowers rules!
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

bbinks wrote:
damonhynes wrote:
There is a bigger tool on 3NewsNow's Sunday show Omaha Sunday Morning. His name is Jeff Koterba. Hes the cartoon guy from the OWH and he thinks hes hilarious but hes unbearable.
Jim Flowers rules!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Silverspoon wrote:
There is a bigger tool on 3NewsNow's Sunday show Omaha Sunday Morning. His name is Jeff Koterba. Hes the cartoon guy from the OWH and he thinks hes hilarious but hes unbearable.
Never have liked him, for the reasons you describe.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Melissa Fry today standing there 9 months pregnant in a skin tight dress with her belly hanging out over her Tablet......I did not need to see that :roll:
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:03 pm Melissa Fry today standing there 9 months pregnant in a skin tight dress with her belly hanging out over her Tablet......I did not need to see that :roll:
Then ask one of the staff where you live to change the channel.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

NovakOmaha wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:35 pm
GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:03 pm Melissa Fry today standing there 9 months pregnant in a skin tight dress with her belly hanging out over her Tablet......I did not need to see that :roll:
LOLOL! Miss Lissa absolutely owns that tummy and it's glorious to see!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Is the burn unit next to labor & delivery?
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

LOLOLOLOLOLOL I peed a lil while reading this. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim Flowers rules!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

:lol: :clap:
No posts exist for this topic
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Why does KETV show such low-resolution blurry footage of the Storm Chaser games? Are they trying to make it look like footage taken with a fan’s old flip phone on purpose? Or are they getting the footage sent to them from a third party, like Hudl?
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

GetUrban wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:37 pm Why does KETV show such low-resolution blurry footage of the Storm Chaser games? Are they trying to make it look like footage taken with a fan’s old flip phone on purpose? Or are they getting the footage sent to them from a third party, like Hudl?
Wondered that, too. I've seen state High School tournament footage look like |expletive|, as well.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

GetUrban wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:37 pm Why does KETV show such low-resolution blurry footage of the Storm Chaser games? Are they trying to make it look like footage taken with a fan’s old flip phone on purpose? Or are they getting the footage sent to them from a third party, like Hudl?
They cant be everywhere. I bet they have someones cell phone footage that they paid a small amount for. Its really bad during away games for womens college basketball too.
Jim Flowers rules!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Silverspoon wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:57 am
They cant be everywhere. I bet they have someones cell phone footage that they paid a small amount for. Its really bad during away games for womens college basketball too.
That's probably true. Ever since the Royals left Rosenblatt and moved to Werner, the games have looked a lot less "Major League" than they did at Rosenblatt, and more amateurish, with the fans sitting on grassy berms and even doing things other than watching the game. Maybe the amateurish video helps convey that whole vibe. It's just annoying when you have a crystal clear 4K HDTV.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

GetUrban wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:09 pm
That's probably true. Ever since the Royals left Rosenblatt and moved to Werner, the games have looked a lot less "Major League" than they did at Rosenblatt, and more amateurish, with the fans sitting on grassy berms and even doing things other than watching the game. Maybe the amateurish video helps convey that whole vibe. It's just annoying when you have a crystal clear 4K HDTV.
Unfortunately youre not getting your local news in 4k yet...
Jim Flowers rules!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Let’s face it.. Unless it’s Husker football, CU basketball or the CWS, the “sports” coverage on all the local Omaha TV stations is pretty pathetic. Everything else is just an afterthought.. I remember it being quite a bit better quality when I was a kid watching in the 70’s and into the early 80’s..

Nowadays, I watch the local news and weather until they switch to “sports” and at that point, I switch my attention to something else...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:30 pm Let’s face it.. Unless it’s Husker football, CU basketball or the CWS, the “sports” coverage on all the local Omaha TV stations is pretty pathetic. Everything else is just an afterthought.. I remember it being quite a bit better quality when I was a kid watching in the 70’s and into the early 80’s..

Nowadays, I watch the local news and weather until they switch to “sports” and at that point, I switch my attention to something else...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
When we followed Mav hockey it used to pull my crank how the Mavs could upset a top 5 team and barely get a mention, yet Creighton could beat a third tier MVC team and get 2 min of coverage over a win they should have had.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:00 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:30 pm Let’s face it.. Unless it’s Husker football, CU basketball or the CWS, the “sports” coverage on all the local Omaha TV stations is pretty pathetic. Everything else is just an afterthought.. I remember it being quite a bit better quality when I was a kid watching in the 70’s and into the early 80’s..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
When we followed Mav hockey it used to pull my crank how the Mavs could upset a top 5 team and barely get a mention, yet Creighton could beat a third tier MVC team and get 2 min of coverage over a win they should have had.
Yes indeed. This is typical. Taking it a step further, they barely.. if ever.. Acknowledge the existence of the NFL, MLB or NBA.. unless there is a Husker football or CU basketball slant to it. Which is understandable given local interest.. But to by and large, mostly ignore the entire seasons of major league sports, is pretty pathetic to me. It was not that way back in the 70’s or 80’s.. But then again, we are living in the information super SUPER highway age.. So the locals probably don’t feel the need for outside of the “Husker football box” sports coverage...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Silverspoon wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:30 pm
GetUrban wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:09 pm
Unfortunately youre not getting your local news in 4k yet...
I think My direct tv is running in 1080i most of the time anyway. It looks good to me, but not as sharp as a blue-ray DVD. The KETV footage mentioned earlier must be really low. Like 320x240 or 640x480.
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

I never post outside transportation - but I had to tell you I laughed so hard reading this I disturbed the table next to me.
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

damonhynes wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:57 pm
Just spent like over an hour reading every post and laughing so hard. There is one thing I want you to check out: FOX 42’s weather observer Kevin Ramer (sp?) I know they’re Fresno-based, but during his forecast he tries to use “the metro” as a way to make us think he’s from here. Funny thing is, he only refers to the city of Omaha the metro, never ever the metro in the correct context. And he says it a million times a newscast. If it were a drinking game, every player would be dead. It will annoy you to no end.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Ryan Air wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:40 am
damonhynes wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:57 pm
Just spent like over an hour reading every post and laughing so hard. There is one thing I want you to check out: FOX 42’s weather observer Kevin Ramer (sp?) I know they’re Fresno-based, but during his forecast he tries to use “the metro” as a way to make us think he’s from here. Funny thing is, he only refers to the city of Omaha the metro, never ever the metro in the correct context. And he says it a million times a newscast. If it were a drinking game, every player would be dead. It will annoy you to no end.
Thanks for your compliments, and I'll try not to remember to not forget to remember to take a gander at 42.