Omaha Local News Channels

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Which evening news do you watch the most (5p 6p 10p)

KMTV Channel 3 (No Cable/Dish)
2%
KMTV Channel 3 (With Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (No Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (With Cable/Dish)
21%
KETV Channel 7 (No Cable/Dish)
13%
KETV Channel 7 (With Cable/Dish)
31%
KPTM Channel 42 (No Cable/Dish)
1%
KPTM Channel 42 (With Cable/Dish)
2%
I don't watch Local News
13%
I don't have a TV
5%
I watch whatever channel it happens to be on
1%
I watch whatever the TV in the Bar is showing
5%

Total votes: 127

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Omaha Local News Channels

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

S33 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Mr.Nuke wrote:Brandi Petersen is leaving KETV which likely somewhat explains the sudden seemingly random re-appearance of Julie Cornell. At the very least she allows them more time to search. With Melissa Fry moving to the mornings they really don't have anyone at KETV right now that you'd think would step up to anchoring evenings.
And the revolving door at KETV continues. I only caught the tail end of her announcement, but it sounds like she's staying in Omaha working within the Westside school district..

I said it a week or so ago, but something is up at KETV 7.. It'll be interesting to see who is hired to replace Petersen as lead co-anchor with Rob McCartney...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
id be very interested to know what a full time anchor desk job in the Omaha market, pays.

I feel like it cannot be a 6 figure position, at least not in this market.

Edit: just realized this was discussed above
Yeah, I'd have to defer on that one to somebody in the know.. I'd have to think Nicely at "Big 6" and McCartney at 7 are probably doing pretty well salary wise..

Petersen leaving doesn't surprise me at all. She's been noticeably absent and sporadic in attendance the past 6 weeks. I figured she was next to leave.. As I said earlier, I'm very interested to see who they'll hire To replace her...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

S33 wrote: I feel like it cannot be a 6 figure position, at least not in this market.
It is likely around $70,000-90,000
https://www.rtdna.org/uploads/files/vv6.pdf -2012
http://www.rtdna.org/article/research_r ... aUV00XFTbU -2015
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

KETV has had the most stable crew in the city for a long time. McCartney and Randby feel like the last of the old guard. Oakey and Fry is a really good AM crew for KETV though.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: I said it a week or so ago, but something is up at KETV 7..
I don't know about that. I may be forgetting someone, but who all has left? Of the ones that I can recall, most of them seem like legitimate departures for better opportunities

Holly McCarthy- To Oklahoma to get a PhD and work in a research position at the Storm Prediction Center. She always seemed to take weather seriously and that seems like a good move for her and one she chose.

Kyle Gravlin/Amanda Crawford- to KETV's sister station in Orlando. Both essentially keeping their current positions and moving into a Top 25 market is a huge upgrade(slight downgrade for Crawford going back to solely reporting, but Gravlin getting "promoted" was probably the reason for the move). Also following Adrian Wittsett's similar move to the exact same station. It seems like KETV could by the AAA team for WESH.

Brandi Petersen- I don't think KETV would force her out. They've taken the number 1 spot in the market; and especially considering unlike her replacing Cornell they don't seem to have anyone internally to fill the role right now. I believe her that she got a decent job at Westside with hours that are more conducive to having a child entering kindergarten.

Alex Hoffman- She stated her and her husband were moving back to South Dakota to be closer to family and she would be a stay at home mom. I don't have any reason to doubt that, but this is the only one of the 5 that seems like it may make a little more sense knowing Petersen is leaving as well. Given how close these two departures are, I can't help wondering if it isn't possible that Hoffman knew Petersen was planning on leaving, and for whatever reason expected to get the job and was informed that she wasn't going to.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Mr.Nuke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote: I said it a week or so ago, but something is up at KETV 7..
I don't know about that. I may be forgetting someone, but who all has left? Of the ones that I can recall, most of them seem like legitimate departures for better opportunities

Holly McCarthy- To Oklahoma to get a PhD and work in a research position at the Storm Prediction Center. She always seemed to take weather seriously and that seems like a good move for her and one she chose.

Kyle Gravlin/Amanda Crawford- to KETV's sister station in Orlando. Both essentially keeping their current positions and moving into a Top 25 market is a huge upgrade(slight downgrade for Crawford going back to solely reporting, but Gravlin getting "promoted" was probably the reason for the move). Also following Adrian Wittsett's similar move to the exact same station. It seems like KETV could by the AAA team for WESH.

Brandi Petersen- I don't think KETV would force her out. They've taken the number 1 spot in the market; and especially considering unlike her replacing Cornell they don't seem to have anyone internally to fill the role right now. I believe her that she got a decent job at Westside with hours that are more conducive to having a child entering kindergarten.

Alex Hoffman- She stated her and her husband were moving back to South Dakota to be closer to family and she would be a stay at home mom. I don't have any reason to doubt that, but this is the only one of the 5 that seems like it may make a little more sense knowing Petersen is leaving as well. Given how close these two departures are I wonder if it isn't possible that Hoffman knew Petersen was planning on leaving, and for whatever reason expected to get the job and was informed that she wasn't going to.
I think it's just the concentration of 4 pieces of significant on air talent leaving within a 1 month period.. Not as significant perhaps, but they also lost AM on air traffic personality JoBeth Williams back in February. I think she moved back to California where she's from originally..

Moving forward, I think the Petersen replacement is a very important hire..as you say, with 7 now being #1 in the market, you don't want to "upset the apple cart" with a replacement that doesn't fit...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From the W-H (I find the last sentence a bit interesting):

"Petersen said on air and on her blog that she was leaving to be able to spend more time with her children.

"There will be another journalist, waiting and ready, to slide into that spot next to Rob to anchor our evening newscast every night," Petersen wrote, "but I am my boys’ ONLY MOTHER."

The station began advertising in late June for a new evening anchor."...

The story link-
http://www.omaha.com/living/brandi-pete ... 602fb.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I had a feeling Brandi wouldn't stick around much longer. Her on-air enthusiasm toward all-things-family was very noticeable. I'd be happy if Melissa Fry took her spot, as I thought she has done a better job delivering the news, filling-in as a substitute anchor.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brandi will be missed. She did a nice job telling the news and making a heartfelt connection at the same time.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I like Melissa Fry as well.. But she was just named as the AM co anchor (with John Oakey) replacing Alex Hoffman who just resigned. I don't believe the Petersen replacement will be someone in house..

We shall see...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

[quote="Omaha Cowboy"][/quote]

Carol Schrader! MARCIA LADENDORFF!
omahacacher
Home Owners Association

Post by omahacacher »

Mr.Nuke wrote:
S33 wrote: I feel like it cannot be a 6 figure position, at least not in this market.
Paywise, all things might be about equal. The person Brandi would be replacing made $95,470 in 2014, and at the time, had been with District 66 for 16 years. Brandi probably won't make that much to start.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Must be something wrong with me because I don't build imaginary relationships and connections with the local newscasters much less ever miss them when they are gone. :what:
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Mike LaPoint has abruptly left WOWT. Considering the canned tone of the announcement, maybe it wasn't amicable or voluntary?

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
blaine235
New to the Neighborhood

Post by blaine235 »

I was just going to mention the posting that Mike LaPoint is no longer at WOWT as I just saw that on the WOWT FB page - only mentions he is pursuing other opportunities. However, there (to my knowledge) was no on-air mentioning of his moving on.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

damonhynes wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Carol Schrader! MARCIA LADENDORFF!
Ha! Marcia Ladendorff. I remember as a grade school kid back in the day, I thought she was pretty "hot".. :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

blaine235 wrote:I was just going to mention the posting that Mike LaPoint is no longer at WOWT as I just saw that on the WOWT FB page - only mentions he is pursuing other opportunities. However, there (to my knowledge) was no on-air mentioning of his moving on.
And the phone rings at Jimbo LaFleur's house? :lol:
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

jessep28 wrote:Mike LaPoint has abruptly left WOWT. Considering the canned tone of the announcement, maybe it wasn't amicable or voluntary?
Yeah the wording there combined with no on air announcement or mention point pretty strongly to his contract not being renewed.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:Mike LaPoint has abruptly left WOWT. Considering the canned tone of the announcement, maybe it wasn't amicable or voluntary?
Time to promote Rusty to Chief! The Rusty Olympic commercial and the two ESPN Rusty commercials are great. There is no better time to promote him.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

:punch:
Brad wrote:
Time to promote Rusty to Chief! The Rusty Olympic commercial and the two ESPN Rusty commercials are great. There is no better time to promote him.

I think him and Bill Randby are by far the best all around meteoroligists in Omaha
Go Cubs Go
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

There is no loyalty any more in local TV news. If someone is leaving it ought to be announced on air, and the person given an opportunity to say goodbye to their fans. Especially someone who was their chief meteorologist for many years. I was no fan of Mr. Lapoint, but he deserved better than that.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nativeomahan wrote:There is no loyalty any more in local TV news. If someone is leaving it ought to be announced on air, and the person given an opportunity to say goodbye to their fans. Especially someone who was their chief meteorologist for many years. I was no fan of Mr. Lapoint, but he deserved better than that.
Maybe he dumped them and they are now scrambling for a replacement? Generally, when these people leave for "other opportunities" with notice and planning, they get to sign off. When they get fired for cause or they move to a competitor, or they just quit in a huff, they don't.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

omahacacher wrote:
Mr.Nuke wrote:
Paywise, all things might be about equal. The person Brandi would be replacing made $95,470 in 2014, and at the time, had been with District 66 for 16 years. Brandi probably won't make that much to start.

Looks like she starts near that.

OWH reporting the hire was approved by the board and it pays $93,800

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/wes ... 0a746.html
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

nebugeater wrote:

Looks like she starts near that.

OWH reporting the hire was approved by the board and it pays $93,800

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/wes ... 0a746.html

Damn I have been on the wrong side of Public Ed for 37 years. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

A media source, whom I cannot reveal, informed me LaPoint was fired. Apparently, he came into work the morning it happened and HR was waiting for him at the office...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Mr.Nuke wrote:Is it just me or is Julie Cornell's sudden return after 6 years (yeah there have been occasional specials) a bit random? She is anchoring their late 10 p.m. news after the NBA game 1 finals and has apparently anchored at least 1 9 p.m. sub channel broadcast within the past couple of weeks.
Mr.Nuke wrote:Brandi Petersen is leaving KETV which likely somewhat explains the sudden seemingly random re-appearance of Julie Cornell. At the very least she allows them more time to search. With Melissa Fry moving to the mornings they really don't have anyone at KETV right now that you'd think would step up to anchoring evenings.
And the reappearance is explained. Cornell is retaking the slot.
Last edited by Mr.Nuke on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

And Brandi's replacement is... Julie Cornell.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Does anyone else find it a bit odd (or curious) that KETV reached back and rehired Julie Cornell as lead 10pm co-anchor? I know in the years since Brandi Petersen took over, she had maintained a relationship with the station and, of course, is married to Bill Randby.. But I thought they'd bring in a new fresh face..

Thoughts?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Does anyone else find it a bit odd (or curious) that KETV reached back and rehired Julie Cornell as lead 10pm co-anchor? I know in the years since Brandi Petersen took over, she had maintained a relationship with the station and, of course, is married to Bill Randby.. But I thought they'd bring in a new fresh face..
I think it's curious but not totally out of line. Julie left in good standing and is apparently willing to work for what this market will pay and does offer some longer-term stability and can hit the ground running. The market dynamics are in play here. :) Recruiting and hiring a fresh face can be costly and time consuming and does not always work out.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Last night it felt like they went out of their way to mention over and over that she never left KEVT, she only left her anchor position.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omababe wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Does anyone else find it a bit odd (or curious) that KETV reached back and rehired Julie Cornell as lead 10pm co-anchor? I know in the years since Brandi Petersen took over, she had maintained a relationship with the station and, of course, is married to Bill Randby.. But I thought they'd bring in a new fresh face..
I think it's curious but not totally out of line. Julie left in good standing and is apparently willing to work for what this market will pay and does offer some longer-term stability and can hit the ground running.
That is a very good point :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Last night it felt like they went out of their way to mention over and over that she never left KEVT, she only left her anchor position.
Completely agree. It felt odd...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

She is good at what she does, but I definitely would prefer they offer someone new the opportunity in short time. Someone who is young, energetic and attractive. She had her time and now is rather uninspiring.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Thoughts?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
In hindsight not at all given how the moves were handled. Cornell pops up out of the blue all of the sudden. Within a few weeks Petersen announces she is leaving. Right before Petersen announces she is leaving Hoffman announces she is leaving first and Fry gets promoted to mornings (and 5 still?). The two potential inside hires either leaving or shifting to a different position was a pretty big giveaway of what the intentions were.

Could they have hired from outside? Perhaps. Although that is a huge risk. With Cornell you have a known entity that likely with a fairly high degree of certainty does what you want her to do (keep you first in the market). You have a pretty long track-record of how she works with Rob and Bill. Any outside hire is a risk particularly where we are at as a television market.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Mr.Nuke wrote:

Thoughts?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
With Cornell you have a known entity that likely with a fairly high degree of certainty does what you want her to do (keep you first in the market). You have a pretty long track-record of how she works with Rob and Bill. Any outside hire is a risk particularly where we are at as a television market.
Hmmm.. Interesting.. And not the first time I've read it explained this way. I don't know if I completely agree. On one hand, I get the familiarity with Cornell and KETV as it relates to our market.. But I also think if KETV feels they have the formula necessary to keep them #1 at the 10pm time slot, way not take the chance and hire a new face.. Other stations have done it fairly successfully in Omaha over the years. Why would channel 7 be the exception? Don't get me wrong, I like Cornell.. But I still find it odd that Channel 7, with its formula to keep them at the top, would reach back for Cornell, when another, potentially dynamic addition, would have served 7 even better (if not as much) moving forward..

And in the end, if you're a confident #1, why the he!! not take the risk??.. Unless, of course, you feel not so confident.. With the Big 6 and John Knicely (and company) breathing down your throat, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: way not take the chance and hire a new face.. Other stations have done it fairly successfully in Omaha over the years. Why would channel 7 be the exception?
Have they though? For roughly the past 20 years at the big desk

KETV went Carol Schrader--->Cornell (internal)--->Petersen (internal)--->Cornell. McCartney constant as the male anchor.
WOWT went Pat Persaud--->Tracy Madden (internal)--->Malorie Maddox (internal) Knicely constant male anchor
KMTV- post Loretta Carroll has been hard for me to keep up with for whatever reason. Greg Peterson, Deb Ward who else? They've tried multiple iterations of anchors and newscasts with some success with out of market hires including hiring Craig Nigrelli and Carol Wang both from out of market to relaunch their news. Wang didn't last and was replaced with Jennifer Griswold also out of market.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Mr.Nuke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote: way not take the chance and hire a new face.. Other stations have done it fairly successfully in Omaha over the years. Why would channel 7 be the exception?
Have they though? For roughly the past 20 years at the big desk

KETV went Carol Schrader--->Cornell (internal)--->Petersen (internal)--->Cornell. McCartney constant as the male anchor.
WOWT went Pat Persaud--->Tracy Madden (internal)--->Malorie Maddox (internal) Knicely constant male anchor
KMTV- post Loretta Carroll has been hard for me to keep up with for whatever reason. Greg Peterson, Deb Ward who else? They've tried multiple iterations of anchors and newscasts with some success with out of market hires including hiring Craig Nigrelli and Carol Wang both from out of market to relaunch their news. Wang didn't last and was replaced with Jennifer Griswold also out of market.
Well, I did say "fairly" :;): .. I think Wang was a decently popular hire for KMTV3, but then she bolted after maybe 2 or 3 years to Big D (Dallas) if memory serves. I think it's more of not taking a chance, than it not being successful for 6 or 7. They do seem to have a formula that works for them.. It's just in this instance, 7 had a unique opportunity to take a chance and bring in a new face.. They reached back and brought in Cornell instead. If their ratings keep KETV at #1 or 2 in the 10pm time slot.. I wonder how long Cornell will stick around this time...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Meanwhile, has either 6 or 7 hired chief meteorologists to replace the ones they let go?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:Meanwhile, has either 6 or 7 hired chief meteorologists to replace the ones they let go?
You mean 3 or 6?

3 promoted Jennifer Zeppelin
6 hasn't made any announcement that I have seen
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: I think Wang was a decently popular hire for KMTV3, but then she bolted after maybe 2 or 3 years to Big D (Dallas) if memory serves.
Based on the internet she is in Omaha and I don't know if she ever left... She came here from Dallas.
Omaha Cowboy wrote: I think it's more of not taking a chance, than it not being successful for 6 or 7
I'd agree. I don't think 6 or 7 feel the need to take a chance like 3 does who feels the need to do anything they can to close the gap between the other two. Whether or not 3's strategy of hiring reporters from larger markets to become anchors here is optimal or not remains to be seen. I'm still betting Wang was forced out and Cecchetto went back to San Diego for "family reasons" to be replaced by Nigrelli. They're 2 for 4 so far. Cohcchetto appears to be the prime anchor for the San Diego CBS affiliate now. That is one of the potential dangers in the KMTV approach in that when you hire talent from larger markets to come here and offer them an anchoring spot it likely is often a stepping stone. The benefit from the WOWT and KETV approach is that if you cultivate from within more likely than not an anchor by the time they reach that level will have family and community connections that keep them here. I'm not saying which way is right or wrong, just merely observing.
Last edited by Mr.Nuke on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

You know what absolutely annoys the heck out of me....

WOWT's live reports.... Either fix you delay or don't do live reports. What WOWT is doing now is horrific....