Omaha Local News Channels

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Which evening news do you watch the most (5p 6p 10p)

KMTV Channel 3 (No Cable/Dish)
2%
KMTV Channel 3 (With Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (No Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (With Cable/Dish)
21%
KETV Channel 7 (No Cable/Dish)
13%
KETV Channel 7 (With Cable/Dish)
31%
KPTM Channel 42 (No Cable/Dish)
1%
KPTM Channel 42 (With Cable/Dish)
2%
I don't watch Local News
13%
I don't have a TV
5%
I watch whatever channel it happens to be on
1%
I watch whatever the TV in the Bar is showing
5%

Total votes: 127

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Omaha Local News Channels

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

riceweb wrote:When are the local channels going to show up on Hulu, Vue, DirecTV Now, etc.?
I don't know about the others, but I thought all the local channels were already on DirecTV. I have a friend whose had DirecTV for over 15 years and he has the local channels..unless something has changed recently that I'm not aware of...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

They are on DirecTV, but not on DirecTV Now, their new over-the-top service for Roku, Apple TV, etc. Nearly every Top 100 metro has at least one local channel, but Omaha's dragging!
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

And KETV is off Cox due to a re-transmission fee dispute.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

It seems that Channel 7 is having a "dispute" with Cox & they have pulled their signal. Apparently the station is demanding a significant fee increase. Oh boo hoo. Guess I'll watch another channel
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Mr.Nuke wrote:And KETV is off Cox due to a re-transmission fee dispute.
That's just ducky! :(

I don't suppose threatening to not pay my bill until they put it back would do any good?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omababe wrote:
Mr.Nuke wrote:And KETV is off Cox due to a re-transmission fee dispute.
That's just ducky! :(

I don't suppose threatening to not pay my bill until they put it back would do any good?
KETV and more importantly their parent company have been on dispute with every provider. When they were off of DISH a few months ago there was a report that there parent company was involved in something like 70% of all disputes and channel removals across all providers in the last year.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

There are no re-transmission fees with rabbit ears.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

And KETV is back on Cox less than 24 hours later.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Mr.Nuke wrote:And KETV is back on Cox less than 24 hours later.
Thank goodness.. My local channel of choice...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

My "cable" is Roku, and it uses the HDMI slot, leaving the cable slot empty. I literally have a paperclip with some tin foil wrapped around it jammed in to the cable slot and it picks up all the local digital channels no matter who is fighting with who...
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

damonhynes wrote:Deanne Brink: Fort Myers!
http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/4 ... n-ft-myers
Deanne Brink: No longer in Fort Myers!
http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/where-is-wi ... ink/194341
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

damonhynes wrote:
So shes MIA and nowhere to be found?!
Jim Flowers rules!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Silverspoon wrote:
damonhynes wrote:
So shes MIA and nowhere to be found?!
No Twitter for a couple weeks, and one Instagram four days ago mentioned her volunteering at a church in FL.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Is it just me or has Channel 3's morning newscast suddenly become far more amateurish than ever?

I usually have whatever channel was last on the night before when I get ready in the morning, and the last couple of days the news on 3 seems more like the awkward first attempt of a high school journalism class. :(
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Omababe wrote:Is it just me or has Channel 3's morning newscast suddenly become far more amateurish than ever?

I usually have whatever channel was last on the night before when I get ready in the morning, and the last couple of days the news on 3 seems more like the awkward first attempt of a high school journalism class. :(
Ted Brockman and me don't call it Channel Third for nothing...
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Omababe wrote:Is it just me or has Channel 3's morning newscast suddenly become far more amateurish than ever?

Yes I usually have it on for the same reason. Deanne Brink/Matt Monroe/Ryan McPike seemed to have a some chemistry working together but now the only one left is McPike and he isn't always on in the morning. Also they went from 3 people to 4 people
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Uffda wrote:

Yes I usually have it on for the same reason. Deanne Brink/Matt Monroe/Ryan McPike seemed to have a some chemistry working together but now the only one left is McPike and he isn't always on in the morning. Also they went from 3 people to 4 people
I usually have Channel 7 on in the morning and sometimes 6..

I’ll have to check out KMTV3 though and see the level of comedy it’s risen to in the AM :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I’ll have to check out KMTV3 though and see the level of comedy it’s risen to in the AM :;): ...
It's not really comedy, it's just kinda difficult to listen to at times.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

People talk about the death of print, but we are a city demonstrating the death of TV. We have 4 channels of "local" news. 42 is canned from other cities, and channel 3 just doesn't try anymore. We could drop to 6 and 7 and I doubt that many would notice.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I saw on the Channel 3 News today a story about how we can all feel safer knowing that Quick Trip is taking great efforts and precautions to prevent our credit/debit card information from being stolen on the credit card scanners at the gas pumps. That was interesting considering I could pretty much guarantee that my debit card information was stolen from a gas pump credit card scanner at the Quick Trip on 130th & Q on Wednesday :shock:

At 11AM Wednesday I stopped at Quick Trip and scanned my card at the pump and that is when the bad ride started. First thing that happened after I scanned my card was it said it was approved and then the screen went totally blank. I said uh oh this ain't good! Then the screen came back on and wanted my pass code number so I entered it and the screen went blank again. I picked up the nozzle and started pumping gas and when I got to 10 bucks worth I stopped it and said I'm getting out of here and cross my fingers and hope I don't get screwed. Went out to lunch and back to work and forgot all about it. Later Wednesday night I get a call about 7:30 PM from the bank saying someone has just used my card at the Walmart on Saddle Creek and the Walmart on 50th and Ames and they want to know if I know anything about it. I said yeah, this means that my card got hacked today at Quick Trip .....shut that account down now. Luckily they only got me for two 67.00 charges which the bank says I may get back. The account had about 800 bucks in it so I figure I got off easy with a cheap reminder to just go inside and pay with cash.

So I go inside Quick Trip Wednesday night and tell the clerk er I mean ding bat that they need to check their pump because I got hacked. She says yeah yeah yeah blah blah we will look into it. I said "You are not even going to look in to it enough to find out what pump I am talking about. Then shes says "Ok tell me what pump it was and we will bag it until it can be checked. That was at 9:30 PM Wednesday night. I came back at 9Am Thursday morning and there was no bag on the pump. I went inside and asked for the manager and he could of cared less and said they had already inspected the pump and it was not tampered with. Sure in 12 hours they had bagged it over night and had it checked out. Sure! He handed me a Quick Trip brochure and said call corporate there is nothing I can do for you. The only consolation I got out of that visit was that the manager had got the job and station he deserved in life :lol:

So after I saw that story on Channel 3 I called up channel 3 right away on their hotline! The dingy I got on the phone couldn't of cared less that I had just got ripped off by a scanner at Quick Trip. I told her that Channel 3's story on Quick Trip being a safe place to use the pumps was FAKE NEWS! That story is not Fake News she yelped. I said the story was misleading people into a false sense of security and that it was FAKE NEWS. That was fun although it didn't get me anywhere or get channel 3 to stop spreading FAKE NEWS it did put a smile on my face :mrgreen:
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Busy, well lit and occupied 24/7 stations like that QuikTrip are high risk targets for skimmers. especially if the clerk receives notifications when the door to the electronic components is opened. Mom and pop stations closed overnight are better targets.

Unless the skimmers were extremely efficient, I am skeptical that they retrieved the skimmed data, encoded a card and used it in less than 12 hours.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

jessep28 wrote:Busy, well lit and occupied 24/7 stations like that QuikTrip are high risk targets for skimmers. especially if the clerk receives notifications when the door to the electronic components is opened. Mom and pop stations closed overnight are better targets.

Unless the skimmers were extremely efficient, I am skeptical that they retrieved the skimmed data, encoded a card and used it in less than 12 hours.
I went to the New Millard Police station and filed a report. It was the first time I had been in there since they opened. The place was a ghost town inside. There was only one cop there at a desk behind bulletproof glass you could talk to through the glass. The cop was not surprised that I had been ripped off at the gas station next door. He said the pump skimming crime is so far out of control that there isn't much they can do about it. He said the bad guys go on the internet and order the skimmers from India or China for 35 bucks. Worse yet.... they can also buy a universal key for another 20 bucks that will open most of the doors to the gas pumps. They can pull up to the pump and jump out and open the door and plug in the skimmer in less then 2-3 minutes. Then they come back and get the skimmer and download the stolen numbers on a lap top that can then reprogram a cash card they bought at dollar tree.

The bottom line was there was going to be no investigation by the police. They took my report and they filed it on the computer and that is the end of it. They couldn't care less.

Speaking of horses and the police these two Breaking Brad jokes in the paper cracked me up this week........

Breaking Brad:

The Omaha police horse had a better retirement party than most of us will. Wait, who am I kidding? We're never retiring.

The Omaha Police Department threw a retirement party for an 18-year-old horse named Blaze. Because it’s the Omaha Police
Department, Blaze will be receiving a $70,000 per year pension.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I work in the business of credit and bank card fraud..

I can say the officer who told Grandpa gas skimming fraud is completely out of control is ABSOLUTELY correct. A victim can file a police report as all police department jurisdictions are obligated to take the report(s). But in the end, the report will go cold as soon as it’s completed..

There will be a liability shift soon however.. Meaning that if the gas station allows charges that turn out to be fraud, they, not the bank or card issuer will be held responsible and not get paid, ultimately, for the fraudulent purchase(s)...

The world of bank card fraud is the ultimate game of cat and mouse. The fraudsters hardly, if ever, get caught.. And it is a despicable, low life crime.. I’ve worked in the business for 17 years..and each year, it just gets worse and worse...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Off Topic
What are they advising people these days to prevent this?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
Off Topic
What are they advising people these days to prevent this?
I’ll tell you what I tell them..And I do this every time I get fuel..

DO NOT swipe your card at the pump. We are a society of convenience and I know it’s more convenient to pull our cars to the pump, swipe our cards, fill the tank and get out.. I NEVER swipe at the pump. I walk into the store and ask them to put $20 or $30 on pump #whatever, swipe the card inside then go out and pump the gas..

Because the fraudster is never likely, unless it’s an inside job, to place a skimming device on the register inside the store.. Plus, it would make little, if any, sense for them to do so..

This is the one sensible way to protect yourself from getting your card skimmed at a fuel pump.. The other, more obvious way, is to pay with cash...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

These guys did a nice little teardown of some card skimmers: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/gas-pump-skimmers

Summary: Cheap skimmers w/ bluetooth are made en masse in China. The local crooks buy them and attach the cables (usually poorly due to limited skill) and don't update any of the defaults. Also they made a little scanner app to tell you if one of these lowest denominator skimmers is at the pump.

Scanner: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... merscammer
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Dundeemaha wrote:These guys did a nice little teardown of some card skimmers: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/gas-pump-skimmers

Summary: Cheap skimmers w/ bluetooth are made en masse in China. The local crooks buy them and attach the cables (usually poorly due to limited skill) and don't update any of the defaults. Also they made a little scanner app to tell you if one of these lowest denominator skimmers is at the pump.

Scanner: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... merscammer
That couldn't have happened in my case. Quick Trip claims that they supposedly checked the pump out and there was no device on it. :roll: Personally I'm guessing the person that is so broke that he has to be running the gas pump card skimming scam is NOT GOING TO LEAVE HIS SKIMMING DEVICE in the pump. Hes going to use that same skimmer over and over. For the crooks to leave the skimmer with the blue tooth transmitter in the pump rather then coming back and removing it would be stupid for a number of reasons. First of all you are leaving evidence that a crime has been committed. Second of all once a gas station sees the devices are being used they would be on the look out for the crooks. If the crook puts a skimmer on a pump for a few hours and then comes back and takes it away the station has no idea whats going on and the crooks can use that station over and over again. If the crooks started leaving skimmers all over they would run out of unsuspecting gas stations quickly.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Who's the chief meteorologist at KMTV these days? Ryan McPike, John Walsh or Jennifer Zeppelin?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

mrsticka wrote:Who's the chief meteorologist at KMTV these days? Ryan McPike, John Walsh or Jennifer Zeppelin?
Jennifer Zeppelin
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Brad wrote:
mrsticka wrote:Who's the chief meteorologist at KMTV these days? Ryan McPike, John Walsh or Jennifer Zeppelin?
Jennifer Zeppelin
McPike had seniority so I wonder why he didn't want it and/or he wanted it and didn't get it. Zepp has been a Chief in her other stops, last one was Tulsa. (I don't mind, she's gorgeous!)
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Someone uploaded these to YouTube a couple months ago. They're the intros for the Omaha stations from the 90's. It's a trip down memory lane.

KMTV:
[youtube][/youtube]

WOWT:
[youtube][/youtube]

KETV:
[youtube][/youtube]
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

In case anyone's wondering what happened to John Walsh, he's now at 10/11 here in Lincoln.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

I had the biggest crush on Trina Creighton back in the day. Ran onto her once at the QuikTrip--she about came up to my belt buckle!
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

mrsticka wrote:In case anyone's wondering what happened to John Walsh, he's now at 10/11 here in Lincoln.
Ha, that guy is so creepy. I cant stand the new guy at 3NewsNow. Hes a complete tool.
Jim Flowers rules!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

damonhynes wrote:I had the biggest crush on Trina Creighton back in the day. Ran onto her once at the QuikTrip--she about came up to my belt buckle!
Trina Creighton.. Now that’s a name from Omaha TV media past I haven’t heard in awhile..

I wonder what she’s up to these days :?: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Random Tyson Pearsall sighting on KETV this morning. We'll see if he is coming back or just filling in with Alex Alecci's departure. The Laurann Robinson experiment on weekends was less than stellar.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Mr.Nuke wrote:Random Tyson Pearsall sighting on KETV this morning. We'll see if he is coming back or just filling in with Alex Alecci's departure. The Laurann Robinson experiment on weekends was less than stellar.
I miss Tyson, I'd love to see him back.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

I record every 6am and 10pm newscast of 3NewsNow because I find their goof ups hilarious. Local news is always so low quality compared to watching Sportscenter, or something on CNN. I also record "Omaha Sunday Morning" on CBS which is Jennifer Griswold being corny as heck, talking about the weakest local stories imaginable, but I find that one hard to hang with because it is so bad. I think that experiment will come to an end soon.

My question is, is anybody else pathetic enough to record the news twice a day, every day? I do it for the laughs mainly.
Jim Flowers rules!
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Silverspoon wrote:I record every 6am and 10pm newscast of 3NewsNow because I find their goof ups hilarious. Local news is always so low quality compared to watching Sportscenter, or something on CNN. I also record "Omaha Sunday Morning" on CBS which is Jennifer Griswold being corny as heck, talking about the weakest local stories imaginable, but I find that one hard to hang with because it is so bad. I think that experiment will come to an end soon.

My question is, is anybody else pathetic enough to record the news twice a day, every day? I do it for the laughs mainly.
You need a life. lol!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

EastCB wrote:
Silverspoon wrote:I record every 6am and 10pm newscast of 3NewsNow because I find their goof ups hilarious.
You need a life. lol!!!
I used to watch the weather by what was her name to see all her screw ups.. Former Ms. Nebraska back in the days.