Omaha Local News Channels

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Which evening news do you watch the most (5p 6p 10p)

KMTV Channel 3 (No Cable/Dish)
2%
KMTV Channel 3 (With Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (No Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (With Cable/Dish)
21%
KETV Channel 7 (No Cable/Dish)
13%
KETV Channel 7 (With Cable/Dish)
31%
KPTM Channel 42 (No Cable/Dish)
1%
KPTM Channel 42 (With Cable/Dish)
2%
I don't watch Local News
13%
I don't have a TV
5%
I watch whatever channel it happens to be on
1%
I watch whatever the TV in the Bar is showing
5%

Total votes: 127

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Omaha Local News Channels

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:What if Omaha's DMA extended all the way out to York? That would include Beatrice, Crete, Seward, Fairbury, David City and Milford. And of course, Lincoln.
And you've probably read here that I've argued that this should be the case for Omaha's TV Market for years..

You'll have to contact Nielsen and convince them to pull their heads out mrsticka :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Like they'll listen to me.
You'll never know unless you try...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
What would I say?

Please? :;):
You could reason that geographically, Omaha/Lincoln being 45 minutes apart, should have a combined television market covering the eastern 1/3rd of Nebraska, along with the current counties in Western Iowa and one in Missouri. You could reason that the Tri-City TV Market (Grand Island/Kearney/Hastings) cover the middle 1/3rd to western front range..then the Western 1/3rd could be covered partially by North Platte..although Western Nebraska is dominated by the Denver and Rapid City, SD markets currently, so the western 1/3rd could remain the same..

This explanation makes the most common sense..

And of course, you should probably end with- Please? :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Okay. Makes sense.
Keep us posted on your progress with Nielsen :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I got an automated response thanking me for my comments and suggestions.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:I got an automated response thanking me for my comments and suggestions.
That's an important first step and I applaud you for taking it mrsticka..

Make sure to follow up in a week or 2 and ask them for their progress in consideration of your submitted suggestions..

Again, keep us posted :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I got an automated response thanking me for my comments and suggestions.

Make sure to follow up in a week or 2 and ask them for their progress in consideration of your submitted suggestions..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Thanks. But truth be told, I don't even know if I sent my email to the right address. I don’t remember what it was. I just know it had “nielsen” in it.

This is Nielsen's website:
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en.html

Here's their contact info if anybody wants to try and contact them:
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/contact-us ... iries.html
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Thanks. But truth be told, I don't even know if I sent my email to the right address. I don’t remember what it was. I just know it had “nielsen” in it.

This is Nielsen's website:
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en.html

Here's their contact info if anybody wants to try and contact them:
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/contact-us ... iries.html
Those are the correct email addresses for Nielsen...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I had the opportunity to fill out one of Nielsen's mail surveys a few weeks ago. The survey envelope included $5 in cash, so I figured "why not." If I'm asked to fill out another survey in the future, I'll try to shoehorn this board's opinions into any relevant questions.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
billiefan2000
New to the Neighborhood

Post by billiefan2000 »

Speaking of local tv stations

What is the story with KAJS 33 a new tv station starting in Omaha this year

Some group called DTV America is behind that new station and a LPTV channel 25 also coming to Omaha this year as well

I also heard KOHA 48 got bought by Flood Communications and will be airing a weather channel on 48.2 starting in March or so
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

billiefan2000 wrote:Speaking of local tv stations

What is the story with KAJS 33 a new tv station starting in Omaha this year

Some group called DTV America is behind that new station and a LPTV channel 25 also coming to Omaha this year as well

I also heard KOHA 48 got bought by Flood Communications and will be airing a weather channel on 48.2 starting in March or so

Don't have any insight to the questions but WELCOME TO THE FORUM. Come on in and stay a while!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

jessep28 wrote:I had the opportunity to fill out one of Nielsen's mail surveys a few weeks ago. The survey envelope included $5 in cash, so I figured "why not." If I'm asked to fill out another survey in the future, I'll try to shoehorn this board's opinions into any relevant questions.
Every bit of feedback to Nielsen helps :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
jessep28 wrote:I had the opportunity to fill out one of Nielsen's mail surveys a few weeks ago. The survey envelope included $5 in cash, so I figured "why not." If I'm asked to fill out another survey in the future, I'll try to shoehorn this board's opinions into any relevant questions.

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Same here! But I only got $2. This doesn't seem legit!

We have a bit of a bilingual household here so hopefully they'll solicit more from us, in which case of course we'll be telling them about the market they're screwing up on.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

I missed Bevacqua's 10 o'clock weather forecast. Did anyone happen to catch it? Did he say anything about the freezing rain ending?
Attachments
TB.png
TB.png (212.01 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

almighty_tuna wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Same here! But I only got $2. This doesn't seem legit!

We have a bit of a bilingual household here so hopefully they'll solicit more from us, in which case of course we'll be telling them about the market they're screwing up on.
Jerks!..

Keep up the good fight Adam, lol :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I want to commend the Omaha weather people, at least Channel 7, which is what we had on most of the time, for not overly-sensationalizing the weather this time!

When I woke up yesterday I was very surprised to see the overnight news on and not on-the-scene wall-to-wall non-stop endless-loop breaking-news reporting on the Ice Storm Of The Century, complete with incessant admonitions to "bundle up" and "don't go if you don't have to" and such.

Instead they were saying things like "lucked out" and "no trouble coming in" and the like! {shock!}

I looked outside, we have a flood light on the driveway, and it was a sloped skating rink! I guess I'm in an area that DID get hit more heavily by ice.

I had already decided to stay put and work from home, so I did it. First time I've done this in years!

One thing I did NOT miss is having to listen to all of the tall tales and horror stories of how everyone risked life, limb, and fender driving in! :) :)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omababe wrote:I want to commend the Omaha weather people, at least Channel 7, which is what we had on most of the time, for not overly-sensationalizing the weather this time!

When I woke up yesterday I was very surprised to see the overnight news on and not on-the-scene wall-to-wall non-stop endless-loop breaking-news reporting on the Ice Storm Of The Century, complete with incessant admonitions to "bundle up" and "don't go if you don't have to" and such.

Instead they were saying things like "lucked out" and "no trouble coming in" and the like! {shock!} :)
I have to agree. Yesterday afternoon about 2pm, I watched Bill Randby do a live Facebook chat and he was echoing much of what you mentioned. He also suggested it would be a good time to put ice melt down on our driveways as the winds were mostly calm. I took his advise and this morning when I left for work, my ski slope of a driveway was almost completely dry..

Good job by the KETV 7 Weather team...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Agreed. Channel 7 this time put our winter weather in perspective.
Still, it didn't stop me from going out over the weekend and buying three more flashlights and $20 worth of batteries. lol
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Want to see something I made? I tried a new take on KMTV's old logo from the late 80's and early 90's. I wonder sometimes if they were to adopt this, which they never would in a million years, what would it do to ratings?

http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 06#p271806
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:Want to see something I made? I tried a new take on KMTV's old logo from the late 80's and early 90's. I wonder sometimes if they were to adopt this, which they never would in a million years, what would it do to ratings?

Any update on your follow up/progress with Nielsen mrsticka?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:Want to see something I made? I tried a new take on KMTV's old logo from the late 80's and early 90's. I wonder sometimes if they were to adopt this, which they never would in a million years, what would it do to ratings?

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Sorry, no. Still haven't heard anything. I don't think I'm going to.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Sorry, no. Still haven't heard anything. I don't think I'm going to.
I would send a follow up email asking for their feedback and consideration of the correspondence you sent them 2 weeks ago- regarding possible changes in the Omaha/Lincoln TV markets..

It'll be interesting to hear how they respond. Who knows, maybe it will be a spark for them to reconsider. You never know unless you try :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I would send a follow up email asking for their feedback and consideration of the correspondence you sent them 2 weeks ago- regarding possible changes in the Omaha/Lincoln TV markets..

Listen to The Don. He knows how to get things done!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:I would send a follow up email asking for their feedback and consideration of the correspondence you sent them 2 weeks ago- regarding possible changes in the Omaha/Lincoln TV markets..

Listen to The Don. He knows how to get things done!
The Don appreciates the kind words :cheers: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Okay, I'll see what I can do. But we shouldn't ignore the possibility that they won't respond.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The weather lady on channel 6, Peta somethingoranother, is completely unwatchable if you want to not pull out your hair. She has an extremely annoying habit of repeating the phrase "parts of" incessantly. "Parts of the east." "Parts of the west." "Parts of Omaha". Sometimes she stacks "parts of" two and three times in the same sentence. If this was a drinking game I would never be able to type this.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Another thing I've noticed is that KMTV now boasts of THREE "meteorologists" on their red-eye early morning newscast.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Omababe wrote:Another thing I've noticed is that KMTV now boasts of THREE "meteorologists" on their red-eye early morning newscast.
One for each viewer...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:Okay, I'll see what I can do. But we shouldn't ignore the possibility that they won't respond.
Make sure to keep us in the loup mrsticka. Many here are interested in your progress with Nielsen and applaud your effort to bring change :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Omababe wrote:Another thing I've noticed is that KMTV now boasts of THREE "meteorologists" on their red-eye early morning newscast.
I'm a bit of a weather nerd. But for goodness sakes, why? Just why? One of their meteorologists, the tall guy with the goofy hair/toupee, ends up reading the news, and not doing the weather.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

damonhynes wrote:
One for each viewer...
MEOW!

Seriously, the reason I often watch their news in the morning is that's what I have the TV set to for Colbert and Corden and I'm too lazy to push one button to change it. :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I can't tell you how much this Really Grinds My Gears!!! I see this headline and think Ok ow, I didn't hear about that... Click...

ITS |expletive| BALTIMORE!!!!!!!!
KETV.JPG
KETV.JPG (39.6 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
swinquest
Home Owners Association

Post by swinquest »

What happened to the Channel 3 morning person....Deanne I think?
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Okay, I contacted Nielsen again. I don't know when or if they'll respond.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I follow all three main Omaha news stations on Facebook. I am just about ready to Dump my follow of KMTV. The items that they link to their Facebook news feed is growing to be just click bate "news" stories. If it is not local then keep it off your FB page!!!!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:Okay, I contacted Nielsen again. I don't know when or if they'll respond.
Thanks for the update. Let us know if they respond back (or not) :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:I follow all three main Omaha news stations on Facebook. I am just about ready to Dump my follow of KMTV. The items that they link to their Facebook news feed is growing to be just click bate "news" stories. If it is not local then keep it off your FB page!!!!
That's ridiculous. I'd drop them like a hot potato...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:I follow all three main Omaha news stations on Facebook. I am just about ready to Dump my follow of KMTV. The items that they link to their Facebook news feed is growing to be just click bate "news" stories. If it is not local then keep it off your FB page!!!!
Just like that KETV tweet I posted last week. Its just so Ridiculous!

I'm about to dump all 3 stations on Facebook. Between all the bad posts (Not local stuff), and the fact that Facebook doesn't put things in my timeline in the order they were posted, Its just not worth following them. The few stories I would actually like to see show up 18-22 hours after they were posted!

I would like to see all 3 stations start a "Local Breaking" twitter account that only posts, Very Important Breaking local stories. No sports, No weather, and nothing outside the immediate Omaha Metro Area.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:
I would like to see all 3 stations start a "Local Breaking" twitter account that only posts, Very Important Breaking local stories. No sports, No weather, and nothing outside the immediate Omaha Metro Area.
I completely agree. It might motivate me to get on Twitter again. As far a social media goes, Facebook is becoming more ridiculous by the month.. An entirely different place than 8 years ago when I joined.. the news feed is one example of the frustration...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This is literally on my timeline like this right now. Three worthless Tweets in a row!
ketv-tweets.JPG
ketv-tweets.JPG (103.55 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:This is literally on my timeline like this right now. Three worthless Tweets in a row!
ketv-tweets.JPG
That's freakin ridiculous.. and an embarrassment :koko: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:That's freakin ridiculous.. and an embarrassment :koko: ...
I just looked and only 3 of the past 10 posts they have made are Local News.

Then they follow that up with this a few min later...
KETV-TWEETS-2.JPG
KETV-TWEETS-2.JPG (36.7 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Nielsen contacted me again, and are sending me a diary to fill out. Boy are they going to be disappointed when they find out I mainly put a station airing COPS reruns on in the background, or the news.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum