Omaha Local News Channels

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Which evening news do you watch the most (5p 6p 10p)

KMTV Channel 3 (No Cable/Dish)
2%
KMTV Channel 3 (With Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (No Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (With Cable/Dish)
21%
KETV Channel 7 (No Cable/Dish)
13%
KETV Channel 7 (With Cable/Dish)
31%
KPTM Channel 42 (No Cable/Dish)
1%
KPTM Channel 42 (With Cable/Dish)
2%
I don't watch Local News
13%
I don't have a TV
5%
I watch whatever channel it happens to be on
1%
I watch whatever the TV in the Bar is showing
5%

Total votes: 127

nebugeater
City Council

Re: Omaha Local News Channels

Post by nebugeater »

as bad as KETV is getting KMTV is worse by a mile.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It's currently 6:09 according their own clock on the screen and WOWT has failed to get their 6 pm news on the air...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:It's currently 6:09 according their own clock on the screen and WOWT has failed to get their 6 pm news on the air...
On the air at 6:18, from the news room, not the set. No graphics and no video from the field.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

swinquest wrote:What happened to the Channel 3 morning person....Deanne I think?
She disappeared. Nothing on her FB, not replying. Posting on Twit like nothing happened. I like Emily Szink--I think she'll go places, and soon--but she isn't my visual cup of tea. So no Channel Third in the AM for me.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

swinquest wrote:What happened to the Channel 3 morning person....Deanne I think?
She left a few weeks ago. All I heard them say - was her las show had been the week before. But I missed any reference to future.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I got my survey packet from Nielsen. It's just a static timeline of which station is being watched on each television by whom for a week. No subjective input on TV markets. They also included $35 in beer money, so that's a nice touch.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

jessep28 wrote:I got my survey packet from Nielsen. It's just a static timeline of which station is being watched on each television by whom for a week. No subjective input on TV markets. They also included $35 in beer money, so that's a nice touch.
The lack of imput from them is par for the course..

At least you got some beer money...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:Okay, I contacted Nielsen again. I don't know when or if they'll respond.
It's been a couple of weeks- Any update on this.. I assume they did not respond to your 2nd inquiry?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:Okay, I contacted Nielsen again. I don't know when or if they'll respond.
It's been a couple of weeks- Any update on this.. I assume they did not respond to your 2nd inquiry?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Correct.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Correct.
The expected answer..

Now, mrsticka, what have you learned from this experience and what are your plans moving forward? (assuming you still have a passion for this issue and don't accept just leaving it as is)...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

What have I learned? That contacting them is useless? As for moving forward, that's a head scratcher. Sorry.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:What have I learned? That contacting them is useless? As for moving forward, that's a head scratcher. Sorry.
Answering a question with a question is a head scratcher indeed.. I guess I expected more..

Anywho, thanks for at least taking the time to contact them with some imput. You've done more than most...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I just don't know what else to do.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

mrsticka wrote:I just don't know what else to do.
Some kind of grassroots online petition, maybe? :)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I have to say, Alexandra Stone has been a very competent replacement for Melissa Fry while she's been out on maternity leave (KETV 7 morning anchor).. I like Melissa, but am getting very used to Alexandra in the morning..

It's weird too, that it was a year or so ago when Melissa Fry replaced the now long gone Alex Hoffman in the AM when she was on maternity leave.. I felt the same way about Melissa, lol. Let's hope when Fry comes back, she plans to stay...

Anyone else who watches 7 in the AM have any imput on this to share?...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: You could reason that geographically, Omaha/Lincoln being 45 minutes apart, should have a combined television market covering the eastern 1/3rd of Nebraska, along with the current counties in Western Iowa and one in Missouri. You could reason that the Tri-City TV Market (Grand Island/Kearney/Hastings) cover the middle 1/3rd to western front range..then the Western 1/3rd could be covered partially by North Platte..although Western Nebraska is dominated by the Denver and Rapid City, SD markets currently, so the western 1/3rd could remain the same..
Logical? Yes, but that isn’t how Neilsen defines a DMA.
A DMA region is a group of counties that form an exclusive geographic area in which the home market television stations hold a dominance of total hours viewed.
http://www.nielsen.com/intl-campaigns/us/dma-maps.html
I don’t know how accurate the following source is, but it would make some sense.

A DMA is a region or territory where people get the same television and radio options. (skipping several paragraphs) …
The deciding factor in determining which DMA Nielsen assigns a county comes down to viewing habits.
If more than 50% of homes in a county watch Baltimore TV stations, then the county is assigned to the Baltimore DMA. That's true even if the county is geographically closer to another city, like Washington, DC.
https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-a-de ... ma-2315180
25 years ago when I lived in Lincoln and it was only KOLN for CBS and NBC and ABC both came out of Omaha I could’ve made a compelling argument that Lincoln was and should be part of the Omaha DMA. Even up until about 10 years ago I still could’ve made the argument. However, based on the Nielsen definition and largely through the part of Gray I cannot make that argument anymore.
Lincoln now has their own ABC station (despite the fact KETV remains on time warner), and not to be conspiratorial, but Gray switched out WOWT in Lincoln for KSNB in Hastings. The only reason to make that move that I can think of is to pretty much solidify that Lincoln and the Tri-Cities are indeed a separate DMA. Based on Nielsen’s DMA definition there is no chance that this changes now.

jessep28 wrote:It would probably make sense to have KOLN (CBS), KFXL (Fox) and KLKN (ABC) in the tri cities and then expand the Omaha media market out to Lincoln. The NBC affiliate which serves Lincoln is based in the tri cities region.
Ignoring Gray’s near monopoly for a second the first of many problems with this suggestion is why would the owners of those stations cede Lincoln? Losing Lincoln for the current Lincoln DMA license holders would be a huge financial blow. Lincoln probably represents 2/3 to ¾ of the households in that market. Conversely at the same time (and particularly based on Gray’s actions) I’m not sure that advertising revenue from Lincoln households would offset the extra costs of having to cover a wider territory and potentially paying talent more for being in a higher DMA market. It seems from the business end people are happy with the status quo.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, all I can say is Nielsen's "definition" of a DMA has shortchanged what should have been established over 35+ years ago- a combined Omaha- Lincoln Television Market. I lived in Lincoln for 3 years attending college in the 80's.. The Omaha TV stations were the ones most watched.. and it wasn't even close..

How Nielsen views and defines the Omaha TV Market is total BS in my book.. But I'm just an average Joe on the street.. What do I know? :roll: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I suppose a TV company that has the basic amenities (if that's the right word) of both cable and satellite is the answer. Cable–Getting out-of-market TV stations. Satellite-Built in DVR service.

I guess Prism TV comes close. But they're not available in Lincoln. Maybe someday they will be. Who knows?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Gray, having both Ch 10 in Lincoln and Ch 11 in Grand Island, operating as a "satellite" of KOLN , would have zero interest in a smaller sized DMA. Major Ad agency buys are placed in a predetermined number of markets and the higher you rank, the more bucks you'll get. The benefit to NTV and KSNB is in getting ad revenue based on a larger DMA than they actually realistically serve. Gray gets the benefit of having the Central and South Central counties pad its numbers in the Lincoln footprint, assuring it of a higher rated market than it actually and realistically serves.

The Tri City radio market finally broke the Lincoln stranglehold regarding Arbitron and is now market #251 out of 268. Lincoln now comes in at #168. The Tri Cities benefits because being part of the Lincoln radio DMA, the lions share of the major ad agency buys were placed on Lincoln stations. A Tri Cities fast food franchise holder, for example, might not have any of his contributed coop ad money spent within 90 miles of his businesses. Years ago I questioned the lack of a Wendys radio buy anywhere in the Tri Cities on behalf of the franchise holder(the local franchise holder contributed thousands and thousands of bucks). The New York City agency replied, "that's ridiculous, we spent a ton of money in Lincoln".
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Candleshoe wrote:Gray, having both Ch 10 in Lincoln and Ch 11 in Grand Island, operating as a "satellite" of KOLN , would have zero interest in a smaller sized DMA. Major Ad agency buys are placed in a predetermined number of markets and the higher you rank, the more bucks you'll get. The benefit to NTV and KSNB is in getting ad revenue based on a larger DMA than they actually realistically serve. Gray gets the benefit of having the Central and South Central counties pad its numbers in the Lincoln footprint, assuring it of a higher rated market than it actually and realistically serves.

The Tri City radio market finally broke the Lincoln stranglehold regarding Arbitron and is now market #251 out of 268. Lincoln now comes in at #168. The Tri Cities benefits because being part of the Lincoln radio DMA, the lions share of the major ad agency buys were placed on Lincoln stations. A Tri Cities fast food franchise holder, for example, might not have any of his contributed coop ad money spent within 90 miles of his businesses. Years ago I questioned the lack of a Wendys radio buy anywhere in the Tri Cities on behalf of the franchise holder(the local franchise holder contributed thousands and thousands of bucks). The New York City agency replied, "that's ridiculous, we spent a ton of money in Lincoln".
Good read Candleshoe :thumb: ..

It would seem, like most everything else, the almighty $$ trumps reality as it relates to DMA television markets as "defined" by Nielsen..and the Omaha DMA in particular...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
swinquest
Home Owners Association

Post by swinquest »

Is someone leaving the "Morning Blend"?

https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/publi ... 93258106#/

"The Morning Blend" On-Air Host

Description
The Morning Blend host will perform daily hosting duties of a local non-news television show, as well as personal appearances, on-air and on-line representation of the station in the community, commercials and promotions. The show's primary purpose is to generate sales revenue. The incumbent will be the face and voice of designated station sponsored events and station commercial clients and programs when required.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Is it just me or has KETV 7 morning co anchor Melissa Fry been on the longest maturnity leave in the history of motherhood?!..

Alexandra Stone has done a very nice job in her place. Melissa seems to have been gone so long, she may have to reapply for her job, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Is it just me or has KETV 7 morning co anchor Melissa Fry been on the longest maturity leave in the history of motherhood?!..
I hope you meant maternity leave...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Is it just me or has KETV 7 morning co anchor Melissa Fry been on the longest maturity leave in the history of motherhood?!..
I hope you meant maternity leave...
Yeah, it was late and I was auto corrected..

Fixed.. And Fry's been gone so long, they've added new on air talent to the AM team she's never worked with before...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

swinquest wrote:Is someone leaving the "Morning Blend"?
Mary Nelson leaving for a job at QVC.
swinquest
Home Owners Association

Post by swinquest »

Is it just me or is Bill and Julie taking a lot of time off lately? I think that this is a sign that they may be moving???

Any thoughts?
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

swinquest wrote:Is it just me or is Bill and Julie taking a lot of time off lately? I think that this is a sign that they may be moving???

Any thoughts?
Well, since I have DISH, I can't tell you... :lol:

By the time I get 7 back, Melissa Fry will be on her second maternity leave!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

damonhynes wrote:By the time I get 7 back, Melissa Fry will be on her second maternity leave!
Unless she was back this morning (I didn't catch the AM broadcast today), Fry is still out on her first maternity leave..

The longest leave in the history of motherhood, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
damonhynes wrote:By the time I get 7 back, Melissa Fry will be on her second maternity leave!
Unless she was back this morning (I didn't catch the AM broadcast today), Fry is still out on her first maternity leave..

The longest leave in the history of motherhood, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Well I don't think the child has graduated from High School yet!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like the baby was born 1/12/2017. If you take the typical 12 weeks that most people seem to take these days that puts her return date at 4/6/2017, this Thursday.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

swinquest wrote:Is it just me or is Bill and Julie taking a lot of time off lately? I think that this is a sign that they may be moving???

Any thoughts?

Its just you. They are about as entrenched at 7 as you can get. Final answer.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here's your answer
MediaWatchOMA wrote: Three months of @AlexGStoneKETV filling in for @MelissaFry7, who has been on maternity leave, ends Wednesday on @KETV at 5 p.m.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Here's your answer
MediaWatchOMA wrote: Three months of @AlexGStoneKETV filling in for @MelissaFry7, who has been on maternity leave, ends Wednesday on @KETV at 5 p.m.
It's about time, lol..

Seriously though, it'll be good to have Fry back.. I just hope she doesn't decide, after being back on the job for 3 months, to leave like Alex Hoffman did before her..after returning from her maturity leave the previous year...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I've noticed this more and more and more lately, specifically on KMTV and KETV (I seldom watch WOWT news anymore).

They seem to be referring to street names improperly quite a bit. "Ames STREET" and "Giles STREET" (multiple times) are the two most recent.

I would THINK that those in the local newsrooms would be familiar enough with Omaha to know that those major thoroughfares are Ames Avenue and Giles Road. Even their outsourced competitor, with studios in Fresno or Muscatine or wherever they have it this week seems to get it right!

(Yeah I know, b*tch b*tch b*tch!) :)
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Does anybody know why Deanne Brink left the local news?
Jim Flowers rules!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Silverspoon wrote:Does anybody know why Deanne Brink left the local news?
I expect she has non-disparagement and non-compete clauses. She just fell off the social-media planet.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Is KETV still not back on Dish? If not, then what gives?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Omaha Local News Channel

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:Is KETV still not back on Dish? If not, then what gives?
Who knows mrsticka..I have Cox Cable and it's certainly doing fine there..

Maybe you should email Neilsen and ask your question lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

It's not Nielsen's fault. They have nothing to do with it. It's between Dish and Hearst.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

mrsticka wrote:It's not Nielsen's fault. They have nothing to do with it. It's between Dish and Hearst.
Correct it is. Hearst had a weeks long disput with Direct TV just a few months ago. They are fighting with plenty cable companies too. Cox may get their turn too. Of the 150 or so Chanel take downs so,far this year Across all providers and all Chanel owners Hearst is involved in well over half of them