Omaha Local News Channels

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Which evening news do you watch the most (5p 6p 10p)

KMTV Channel 3 (No Cable/Dish)
2%
KMTV Channel 3 (With Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (No Cable/Dish)
4%
WOWT Channel 6 (With Cable/Dish)
21%
KETV Channel 7 (No Cable/Dish)
13%
KETV Channel 7 (With Cable/Dish)
31%
KPTM Channel 42 (No Cable/Dish)
1%
KPTM Channel 42 (With Cable/Dish)
2%
I don't watch Local News
13%
I don't have a TV
5%
I watch whatever channel it happens to be on
1%
I watch whatever the TV in the Bar is showing
5%

Total votes: 127

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

They ask for our patience and understanding, but how can the viewer "understand" something that has not been explained, except for saying it was a mistake?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Had they just said "Go watch it on the |expletive| internet 3 minutes later like the rest of the country did", would it have made people any more or less pissy?

It was literally 15 seconds of the end of a song we've all heard 1000 times.  A live broadcast cut out a little early.

People are acting like this is up there with the Heidi game.
Stable genius.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Dear viewers,

Sorry you could not watch the last 5 minutes of your crappy awards show.  We did watch it and can assure you it sucked.

Love,

Channel 3
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Linkin5 wrote:Dear viewers,

Sorry you could not watch the last 5 minutes of your crappy awards show.  We did watch it and can assure you it sucked.

Love,

Channel 3
That's just it... It wasn't the last five minutes.  It was like 30 seconds, which was all available online right away.

I could totally understand if people missed the whole finale (which was pretty cool), but get a |expletive| grip.
Stable genius.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

channel 6

Post by NovakOmaha »

I check the Omaha weather and city cams often and I still get such a kick out of their tag line.

"The people you know.  The news you trust."

Ok, so one, because I know most of the people I just don't trust them so much.  Two, Channel Six for decades actually had anchors that people trusted but that was decades ago.  Three, so because the moron can read what is ripped I am supposed to trust that someone ripped the correct copy?  

I'm not saying this is unique to Omaha as there are morons in many cities who read the news.  On the other hand, it is possible to hire less moronic staff, even in television news.

Just saying...
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Moronic, yes... that is the WOWT news staff... Brian Mastre in particular, who would appear to be getting groomed for the prime time anchor position.  I've come to really like KETV's evening staff.

I miss Jeff Jordan (went to school with his son)... oh, and Dr. SanGuinary.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I miss the Omaha TV News blog.  It used to poke fun at Channel Sux often.  The blog seems to be dead now.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Stargazer wrote:I've come to really like KETV's evening staff.
You're kidding me? I think they are the worst. Oh, and what the |expletive| is up with Ryan Luby's hair? He looks like the biggest doofus on local TV, and that includes the crazy man on channel 6 who does the Game and Parks segments.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

KETV is considerably ahead of WOWT and KMTV in news ratings... so apparently I'm not alone.

For whatever reason, WOWT has resisted any attempt at objective journalism (with the solitary exception of McKnight, who seems like we don't see enough any more).  They come across as if they are an arm of the Omaha chamber of commerce.  KMTV is actually at the other end of the spectrum, or at least they're attempting 'hard hitting' journalism (but their 'outsider' staff just haven't clicked yet as a team, plus it's been cut to bare minimum to produce a newscast)... while KETV falls somewhere in between.  Jim Flowers is just as moronic as Brian Mastre... Ross Jernstrom knows nothing about sports, and is a total Husker fan boy (continuing the tradition set by Dave Webber with his 'magic corncob')... again, won't ask any tough questions like the rest of the channel's news staff.  John Knicely is a great news reader, that's about it... Malorie Maddox was a big improvement over Tracy Madden (who single handedly brought their ratings down in replacing Pat Persaud by the way), but can't save the rest of the staff.  Rob McCartney has improved over the years, and actually does investigative reporting... Brandi Peterson is at least as good as Maddox, Bill Randby is the markets best meteorologist (doesn't hurt that he's in tune with the night sky as well ;) ), Andy Kendeigh started out pretty green, but has become a very good sportscaster... and he does ask tough questions of local sports teams, no 'chamber of commerce' reporting.   As they tout, KETV does have the markets largest number of field reporters as well, and it shows, they cover a broader range of stories than does either of the other two channels.

Again, you need only look as far as ratings.  Today, KETV is doing the best news broadcasts.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Not to mention all the production issues WOWT has.  Minutes of dead air, video problems.  Hard to run an automated live broadcast.  Some things still need the human element.

Stargazer wrote:KETV is considerably ahead of WOWT and KMTV in news ratings... so apparently I'm not alone.

For whatever reason, WOWT has resisted any attempt at objective journalism (with the solitary exception of McKnight, who seems like we don't see enough any more).  They come across as if they are an arm of the Omaha chamber of commerce.  KMTV is actually at the other end of the spectrum, or at least they're attempting 'hard hitting' journalism (but their 'outsider' staff just haven't clicked yet as a team, plus it's been cut to bare minimum to produce a newscast)... while KETV falls somewhere in between.  Jim Flowers is just as moronic as Brian Mastre... Ross Jernstrom knows nothing about sports, and is a total Husker fan boy (continuing the tradition set by Dave Webber with his 'magic corncob')... again, won't ask any tough questions like the rest of the channel's news staff.  John Knicely is a great news reader, that's about it... Malorie Maddox was a big improvement over Tracy Madden (who single handedly brought their ratings down in replacing Pat Persaud by the way), but can't save the rest of the staff.  Rob McCartney has improved over the years, and actually does investigative reporting... Brandi Peterson is at least as good as Maddox, Bill Randby is the markets best meteorologist (doesn't hurt that he's in tune with the night sky as well ;) ), Andy Kendeigh started out pretty green, but has become a very good sportscaster... and he does ask tough questions of local sports teams, no 'chamber of commerce' reporting.   As they tout, KETV does have the markets largest number of field reporters as well, and it shows, they cover a broader range of stories than does either of the other two channels.

Again, you need only look as far as ratings.  Today, KETV is doing the best news broadcasts.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Stargazer wrote:KETV is considerably ahead of WOWT and KMTV in news ratings... so apparently I'm not alone.

I watch KETV too. The things that bug me about their newscast though, are the constant reminders (self-promo ads) they run telling you who you are watching. That, and the first 10 minutes of every news cast are basically crime reports, and also the un-ending barrage of LOUD commercials they run, but that's why they are in business. I like McCartney, Petersen, and especially Randby.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I'm really not happy with any of the local TV newscasts.

In my not so humble opinion, WOWT is currently the poorest of the bunch. They really don't have very much actual content in their production. They really need to ash-can such drek as passing off Facebook comments as news. Does anyone (anyone other than those who feel the thrill of hearing their comment read live on the air, that is) really think practices such as that are worthwhile?

Their production has that amateurish feel to it.

I've already complained enough about their run-into-the-ground catch-phrases such as "web channel", "heartland" and the like!

"Tune in to our 10 pm newscast for the full story. Visit our web channel for the rest of the story!" Yeah, right!
GetUrban wrote:I watch KETV too. The things that bug me about their newscast though, are the constant reminders (self-promo ads) they run telling you who you are watching.
When I have a choice, I usually watch KETV too. A least of evils choice, actually. Currently they seem to be the most informative.

I usually watch KMTV at night, just 'cuz I'm too lazy to push the remote again to turn over to Letterman. :) Likewise, KMTV is usually on when I get ready in the morning, just because it's on that channel from the night before. I figure their morning newscast is just as good and just as bad as anyone else's.

Oh well -- so it goes ...
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

News in Omaha sucks.  Say what you will about Becka, but I will miss him. If you ever listened to a press conference, he was the ONLY one who asked tough questions (of people from both affiliations).  Without him, you get softballs tossed up for fear of upsetting someone.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

@Omababe - they used to read Facebook comments on Headline News  on the noon hour. Seriously!? Lamest thing ever on a major news channel. I was embarrassed for them.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

In the 70's, channel 6 was very strong.  It had beat reporters that were highly respected and would routinely break news.  Now, you can't think of any channel that could break stories.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Back then, they could break stories, or so I hear. Now, they just harass the |expletive| out of the accused, and camp out on their lawns. Lazy bastards.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

yep,  back in the 70's and well into the 80's 6 was the one to watch.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Seems like all they ever do anymore is go through police reports.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I'm still going to build shelter in Ryan Luby's hair if the zombie apocalypse ever comes.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Holy |expletive|... I see wowt do some stupid things...

But that story they just did about dandelions was absolutely incoherent!  Sad thing, it wasn't even shot with the stupid "Mobile Backpack"!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Brad wrote:Holy |expletive|... I see wowt do some stupid things...

But that story they just did about dandelions was absolutely incoherent!  Sad thing, it wasn't even shot with the stupid "Mobile Backpack"!
I've been out of town for some time now, is Malorie Maddox still doable, at least?
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

bigredmed wrote:In the 70's, channel 6 was very strong.  It had beat reporters that were highly respected and would routinely break news.  Now, you can't think of any channel that could break stories.
I dunno about that.  Channel 3 has Douglas County election commissioner Dave Phipps in a full nelson and won't let go.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

HskrFanMike wrote:
bigredmed wrote:In the 70's, channel 6 was very strong.  It had beat reporters that were highly respected and would routinely break news.  Now, you can't think of any channel that could break stories.
I dunno about that.  Channel 3 has Douglas County election commissioner Dave Phipps in a full nelson and won't let go.
I give kudos to Channel 3 for their persistence in this scandal.
They moved my polling place nearly 2.5 miles!  I don't recall a single public hearing that led to this fiasco.  And Phipps now admits his office won't save a penny.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

If polling place relocation won't save any money, what's the point behind it?  I'm not a conspiracy nut, so I won't immediately assume they're simply trying to disenfranchise a demographic that typically votes for one party over the other, but what's it is then?  Maybe it's just incompetence; it's my observation that incompetence explains a lot more government policy than conspiracy ever does.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Seth wrote:If polling place relocation won't save any money, what's the point behind it?  I'm not a conspiracy nut, so I won't immediately assume they're simply trying to disenfranchise a demographic that typically votes for one party over the other, but what's it is then?  Maybe it's just incompetence; it's my observation that incompetence explains a lot more government policy than conspiracy ever does.
This one, unfortunately, reeks of an incompetent puppet taking the fall for a higher-up's petty tinkering.  

Our polling place WAS the downtown library.  Of ALL places to close, a library or public school seems like the most logical place for others to consolidate.  But no, we get to go to a church now.
Stable genius.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

They may not save money, but I bet they have better use of their volunteers.  Fewer places to vote mean more people per site, which means more activity for their paid and non paid staff at the sites.   My parents did that and had to spend all day at the polling site (not even regular breaks, just one hour for lunch).   They were bored to tears and stopped doing it.   Thatseems to be a common issue.   Replacing volunteers is expensive.   Bored volunteers become former volunteers.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Anyone who thinks that Phipps was the man solely behind these  decisions can't see that he is just a puppet.   It would have saved money to close less busy polling places if a reduction of polling staff followed as well.   I don't think this was a diabolical means to
disenfranchise voters though.  My polling place changed too.  I live West of 108th.  I don't see any other city council representative stirring the pot.   A journalist with true integrity would try to get the whole story, and not focus on the fall-guy.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

If Phipps is the puppet those are some mighty thick strings...
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Its channel 3 but what happened to CT Thoungklin?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Linkin5 wrote:Its channel 3 but what happened to CT Thoungklin?
He moved but I don't remember where. He apparently was a member of my church and got up to say goodbye one week.

Edit: I looked on the bulletin from my niece's Baptism and it says Nashville.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

He is chief meteorologists with RFD-TV based in Nashville
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Further proof that this forum is awesome, I ask some random
question and it gets answered in minutes.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

This is one of the dumber stories I've seen from WOWT in a while.

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/Enfo ... 42875.html
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Linkin5 wrote:Further proof that this forum is awesome, I ask some random
I use to catch him on the morning news. Liked his weather but also like checking out his blonde co anchor.  :evil:
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Uffda wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Further proof that this forum is awesome, I ask some random
I use to catch him on the morning news. Liked his weather but also like checking out his blonde co anchor.  :evil:
Oh lord but she is AWFUL!  And the banter between her and the new guy is painful to watch.  It looked on occasion like CT was thinkin, "I gotta get outta here!"  Congrats to him for doing so.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

did i say i was watching her for how she did the news.  :shock:
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Uffda wrote:did i say i was watching her for how she did the news.  :shock:
She's not THAT attractive though.  Too painful.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

hey i haven't had my caffeine yet and only half awake.... give me a break.  :lafcry:
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I see Channel 3 is providing a public service to concerned parents on Facebook by harassing the Millard School District about those 5 teachers who were fired earlier this week. I understand that this is unusual, but it's obvious that MPS can't say anything unless they want to risk getting sued into the stone age.

http://www.kmtv.com//149752175.html
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Looks like they redesigned their website. KETV did the same thing a week or two ago. Wonder if WOWT did it too in response to KETV's change.