Omaha Triathlon 2010

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Omaha Triathlon 2010

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

WHOA!!! Somehow this announcement from back in October went under my radar, and I didn't see an existing thread.

From the Omaha Sports Commission web site:
On August 1, 2010 Omaha will host its first annual USA Triathlon (USAT) certified competition throughout the downtown area. The Olympic length triathlon will include a 1.5-km swim, a 40-km bike ride and a 10-km run. The Omaha Triathlon is expected to be the first major USAT triathlon in Nebraska and could host more than 1,000 athletes of all abilities from around the country.  The event will also include relay team and Aquabike competition options. A festival finish for athletes and spectators will feature live music from local artists and bands, and food and refreshments.
These types of events are AWESOME! Universal Sports network has done lots of coverage of Ironman Triathlon competitions (much longer distances), and the level of athleticism in these events is remarkable, not to mention the amazing exposure this will give Omaha. It would be really great if this got picked up by Universal Sports or another network.

From what I gather, the swimming will take place in Carter Lake, then participants will bicycle through Downtown to the Zoo and back (it has to be somehow further to account for the 40k), before completing the running portion on the North Riverfront Trail.

If this was covered, think of the wonderful image this would present of Omaha!

Regardless, it's a huge coup for the city.

Here is a promotional video and a video of the press conference announcing the event:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

*note to admin. I think this is more befitting of the Event forum than the Sports forum.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Do they have a triathlon for those of use that don't want to swim?  I could run a 10k, I can bike 40k, but I don't have any desire to swim 100 feet!

Great news!  Thanks for posting Streets.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Wow, what a great event.  Sounds like a great win for Omaha!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

That's awesome!! I'm definitely up for trying something like that.  Though I know my swimming is lacking for sure.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

and that's a pretty bitchin logo, too!!!!

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

almighty_tuna wrote:and that's a pretty bitchin logo, too!!!!

With the exception of the type treatment and colors, I agree. :)
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Brad wrote:Do they have a triathlon for those of use that don't want to swim?  I could run a 10k, I can bike 40k, but I don't have any desire to swim 100 feet!

Great news!  Thanks for posting Streets.
I'm with you... I'd have to doggy paddle those 1500 meters. Are arm floaties allowed?
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

almighty_tuna wrote:and that's a pretty bitchin logo, too!!!!

I agree.  This is the first time I have seen all of Omaha's icons in one drawing and its beautiful.
where the corn meets the concrete
stomsu
New to the Neighborhood

Post by stomsu »

I think it's too bad the date for this event is on the same day as the final round of competition at the Cox Classic.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

stomsu wrote:I think it's too bad the date for this event is on the same day as the final round of competition at the Cox Classic.
I understand where you're coming from, but at the same time I'm excited for Omaha to get so many great events they have to be booked on top of each other.
Last edited by TechnicalDisaster on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

And to think there are people who say there is nothing to do in Omaha....
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm glad there's now a cooler, more athletic, faster paced event that gives better exposure of the city :).
Brad wrote:And to think there are people who say there is nothing to do in Omaha....
Less and less these days. I think we've reached the point where you're going to get a pretty funny look if you say anything to that effect.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It's back - July 23rd and 24th 2011
http://www.omahatriathlon.com/

1500 m swim at Lake Cunningham,
40 km bike to Bennington Lake and back,
10 km run west side of Cunningham.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Why would anyone with half a brain organize such an event at the absolute height of miserable and dangerous summertime weather?  The National Weather Service has now issued warnings that this heat wave is particularly dangerous and even life threatening to human and pet health, and has gone so far as to tell people to just stay indoors until it passes.  On average the hottest days in Omaha are July 20-27 each year.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

nativeomahan wrote:Why would anyone with half a brain organize such an event at the absolute height of miserable and dangerous summertime weather?  The National Weather Service has now issued warnings that this heat wave is particularly dangerous and even life threatening to human and pet health, and has gone so far as to tell people to just stay indoors until it passes.  On average the hottest days in Omaha are July 20-27 each year.
You schedule it when you can.  If you train in hot weather you can perform in hot weather.  During last weekend's heat wave, I, along with many others did 82 bike miles on Sat and 50 on Sun.  It's about managing your nutrition/fluids and paying attention to your body.