Missouri River

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Well the Elkhorn empties into the Platte which empties south of Omaha so we don't really have to worry about that water.  Hamburg on the other hand...
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

From yahoo "news"  http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625 ... t-25695965

Shows clips from Omaha, TD Ameritrade, and the region...
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Gavins point is increasing flows to 155,000 cfs tomorrow and 160,000 Thursday. Yikes! I have a bad feeling about the Fort Calhoun and Cooper nuclear plants.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Rock is being dumped along the bike path to reinforce the riverbank

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Flood could cost airport $15 mil
Bob Glissmann WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:So far, the airport has spent $2.5 million on flood-fighting efforts, and the total is expected to climb to $15.5 million by the end of August, Stan Kathol, the airport authority's finance director, told the board.

It's a necessary expense, because the airport contributes an estimated $745 million a year to the economy. A long-term shutdown would be a body blow to the region's economy.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

If it ends up costing them $15 million, then I will consider it a success. We are now up to a 160,000 cfs release from GPD on Thursday and it's not going down anytime soon.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Here's another Corps link some of you may be interested in... note what's happening in South Dakota with the recent rainfall.  What's astonishing is... they're projecting they'll have to continue that 160,000 release rate into the middle of July... just a couple of days ago, they had projected 150,000.  This, just from the rain over the past couple of days??

http://www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil/rcc/reports/twout.html
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They dug a huge hole behind the Qwest center and Riverfront Drive is closed.  I have not read the paper since Monday so I am not sure whats going on.

There is also standing water behind the Qwest center in the Dock area.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Two quick pictures from the pedestrian bridge.

Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Brad wrote:They dug a huge hole behind the Qwest center and Riverfront Drive is closed.  I have not read the paper since Monday so I am not sure whats going on.

There is also standing water behind the Qwest center in the Dock area.
They are installing pumps
Traffic on Riverfront Drive has been restricted so workers can build a system to pump water away from north downtown and prevent flooding at the Qwest Center Omaha.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20110619/NEWS01/706199919
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Council Bluffs is at Level 1 alert, officially.

Just got my call.
Go Cubs Go
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

What does that mean? is there a levee breach somewhere?
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Stargazer wrote:What does that mean? is there a levee breach somewhere?
Fire officials were going house to house and were surprised at the number of people who had no clue what was going on.  I guess this is just the equivalent of a tornado watch, if you will.  They did it to make sure people were aware of the potential dangers.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

ACOE updated 160,000 cfps inundation maps.

http://www.nwo.usace.army.mil/html/op-e ... lo603.html
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stargazer wrote:What does that mean? is there a levee breach somewhere?
Bluffs issues 'wake up' call
Chad Nation WORLD-HERALD NEWS SERVICE wrote:Fire Chief Alan Byers described Level 1 as a slowly developing flood event. The city recommends that residents make preparations to leave the area should the situation escalate. Level 3, the highest flood alert, would mean major flooding is imminent or under way.
Kyle Broflovski
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Kyle Broflovski »

^^^ I read that article a few hours ago.

I just laughed when the mayor acted surprised that only 50% of surveyed residents were aware that there was a flood going on.

Must.....resist.....insultiiiiiiinng.........ccoooouuuunccill... bluff.....ss...................

Kylie-B
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Kyle Broflovski wrote: Must.....resist.....insultiiiiiiinng.........ccoooouuuunccill... bluff.....ss...................

Kylie-B
As you have just as many stupid people amassed along the other side of the river.  :;):
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Well, that's not really the case... as a levee breach in Council Bluffs can potentially affect some 30,000 residents, all the way to downtown... whereas on the Nebraska side... there are only an estimated 2,500 or so potentially affected... and as fate would have it, most of those are also Iowegians as well.

But I have my fingers and toes crossed for everyone.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Just saying - you can peruse around both sides of the river and find and equal portion of the people who are oblivious to anything but their own existence - which means it really doesn't have anything to do with CB.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I'm sure that the 50% is skewed in that often times, people define a 'flood' as water out of the banks of the river, surrounding homes and businesses with feet of standing water.  By that public definition, the city isn't considered to be 'flooded', only that the river is elevated...and not flooding large areas of homes.

Thanks for resisting the urge to insult, Kyle.  The same could be said about the people that live in west Omaha and had no idea how river front development has transformed the face of downtown Omaha in the last few years because they "just don't make it that far east" (heard it with my own ears at the mattress factory during the opening festivities of the CWS)
Go Cubs Go
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Levee blew in Mills county.  Mandatory evac west of I-29 & south of Gaston Ave to Fremont County line by 4pm Friday.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

The river just hit 34.99ft and is expected to go over 35ft by late tonight. Unbelievable!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

From this morning

Kyle Broflovski
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Kyle Broflovski »

thenewguy wrote:
Thanks for resisting the urge to insult, Kyle.  The same could be said about the people that live in west Omaha and had no idea how river front development has transformed the face of downtown Omaha in the last few years because they "just don't make it that far east" (heard it with my own ears at the mattress factory during the opening festivities of the CWS)
True, but most of the folks I talked to today while sandbagging were all from west omaha. Call it a draw.

Kylie-B
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Kyle Broflovski wrote:
thenewguy wrote:
True, but most of the folks I talked to today while sandbagging were all from west omaha. Call it a draw.

Kylie-B
I go to church on 132nd and Blondo.

We have members who comment that church is as far east as their daily travels in a normal week take them.  We also have some that think of 132nd and Blondo as the western most border of their daily lives.

I have concluded from these people two things:

1.  You could probably find a similar divide using any landmark west of Mutual.

2.  Unlike the experience on computer forums, people can get along, even if they live east or west of some arbitrary fixed landmark.

:popcorn:
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

From last night - the riverfront all flooded out.  

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Heavy rains flood Omaha streets
World-Herald staff writers Sam Womack, Emily Nohr and Kirby Kaufman wrote:At least a foot of water surrounded Hot Shops Art Center at 13th and Nicholas Streets, said the building's managing partner Tim Barry. He said there was also about a foot of water in the building's boiler room. Pumps were installed to dry out the bottom floor, Barry said.

Water flowed from Lot D north of the Qwest Center into at least one lane of 10th Street. Also officials blocked traffic on Izard Street from about 10th to 16th Streets, including routes off of Cuming and Nicholas Streets due to flooding.  Some low-lying streets throughout Omaha were flooded, but the waters have since receeded.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather- ... 2011-06-24

One of the easiest to understand layouts on this whole situation that I have seen yet.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Interesting.....

They are sandbagging the Harriman and ConAgra!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

All of the articles coming out lately lead me to believe we are going to be F'd fairly soon...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Fort Calhoun Nuclear Station Berm Collapses

[quote=WOWT"]The NRC says its inspectors were at the plant when the berm failed and have confirmed that the flooding has had no impact on the reactor shutdown cooling or the spent fuel pool cooling.[/quote]
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Fort Calhoun Nuclear Station Berm Collapses
WOWT wrote:The NRC says its inspectors were at the plant when the berm failed and have confirmed that the flooding has had no impact on the reactor shutdown cooling or the spent fuel pool cooling.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

A friend of mine in Sioux City just reported that parts of Sioux City got up to 3 inches of rain tonight -- more water in the river.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They are Sandbagging the Harriman and part of ConAgra...

Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

[youtube][/youtube]

Roflcopter.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

And using a black light, that bed-sheet backdrop looks eerily similar to a Jackson Pollock splatter painting.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Coyote wrote:Fort Calhoun Nuclear Station Berm Collapses
WOWT wrote:The NRC says its inspectors were at the plant when the berm failed and have confirmed that the flooding has had no impact on the reactor shutdown cooling or the spent fuel pool cooling.
By the way, if anyone else saw Good Morning America this morning, this kind of sensationalist shiat is why I hate television news. Their reporting on this issue wasn't too far off of that Pakistani propoganda piece. They made it sound like the plant was shutdown because flood waters were about to cause a meltdown. Didn't mention that it was already off-line for routine maintenance and is merely staying shutdown.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Yeah, I really liked how George Stephanosnuffelufagus said that "there is no radiation escaping the plant, [yet] - emphases on "yet" - again, completely ignoring the fact that the plant was non-operational for months.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Panic sells, preparedness...*yawn*
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Fair enough, panic always sells and the media has cashed in and chosen one hot key issue (because of Japan) to focus on, yet, almost completely ignores the people, their homes and businesses. What does it take? Should all these white farmers and homeowners cry fowl and declare Obama as hating white people because they have yet to see any sort of response other than some sandbagging from National Guard? No real FEMA presence, nothing? Or should some local white mayor declare they will rebuild their town as a "vanilla town" because that is the way god wanted it? Maybe that'll excite the media?

Honestly, the lack of national media coverage is getting bizarre - you know, with all the material they have to work with and all.