Dana College

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Dana College

Post by Coyote »

Dana College is closing
Matthew Hansen WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Dana College is closing, school leaders announced late Wednesday. The private college in Blair won't reopen for the 2010-2011 school year, ending a 125-year history of Lutheran-affiliated, liberal arts education.
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

This is a horrible thing, and I hope Dana can somehow survive.  The College is/was a source of pride for all Danes in Nebraska and surrounding area.  The Queen of Denmark visited once, and the Crown Prince was there recently(last year?)  Many of my family and friends attended Dana, and it is a shame that it is to be shuttered.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

:(
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This makes me sad -- for the historic institution that Dana is (was...) and for the city of Blair.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

There was an interesting story a few minutes ago on NPR.

Apparently the company which made the offer to buy out Dana and keep it afloat was one of several which is notorious for trying to "buy accreditation" by bailing out a struggling college with a good reputation and then using their accreditation for such things as questionable on-line degrees and such.

They said the accrediting agency (NCA?) said NO WAY to the deal and that's what was the final event before closure.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Omababe wrote:There was an interesting story a few minutes ago on NPR.

Apparently the company which made the offer to buy out Dana and keep it afloat was one of several which is notorious for trying to "buy accreditation" by bailing out a struggling college with a good reputation and then using their accreditation for such things as questionable on-line degrees and such.

They said the accrediting agency (NCA?) said NO WAY to the deal and that's what was the final event before closure.
Yeah, that's about what I heard. They sought a group of investors only to be denied accreditation. Should have lined up some serious investors earlier to improve the quality of academics and the school as a whole and possibly even grow their enrollment.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

I wonder what will become of that campus.  Its a fairly nice facility, if I recall correctly....
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Midland filling void left by Dana

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100707/N ... ft-by-dana
www.omaha.com wrote:Midland Lutheran officials said Wednesday that the Fremont college is on track to take in nearly half of Dana College's 600-plus students.

Midland also is adding four new athletic programs that will be run by former Dana coaches and is taking steps to hire some of Dana's faculty members.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

At least the students are sticking by their guns and staying with the small private college.  I hope Midland Lutheran can continue to develop through this mess.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Midland U. to make official bid today for Dana campus

LINCOLN — Citing “explosive” enrollment growth that has their landlocked Fremont campus bursting at its seams, Midland University officials announced that they would submit a bid this morning for the vacant Dana College campus in Blair.

“The opportunity to acquire a complete college campus that is central to the vitality of a great Nebraska community is incredibly rare,” Midland University Board Chairman Gary Perkins said Wednesday.
Continue Reading:  http://www.omaha.com/article/20130404/N ... ana-campus
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Dana College

Post by skinzfan23 »

Dana College: 5 Years Later
Images of what the former Dana College campus in Blair looks like on June 30, 2015 — exactly five years since the college closed.

I was recently at a wedding in Blair and drove through the campus...it is sad to see it in that bad of shape after only 5 years.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:Dana College: 5 Years Later
Images of what the former Dana College campus in Blair looks like on June 30, 2015 — exactly five years since the college closed.

I was recently at a wedding in Blair and drove through the campus...it is sad to see it in that bad of shape after only 5 years.
Isn't the main reason it is in such bad shape the storm that went through Blair about a year ago with large hail that tore a lot of thing up? There are a lot of houses still in need of repair the last time I was in Blair and that was about 2 weeks ago.

I also read in the OWH I believe, a story a couple of weeks back about how there was going to be work starting to protect and preserve the buildings at least until a longer term plan was in place.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

nebugeater wrote:

Isn't the main reason it is in such bad shape the storm that went through Blair about a year ago with large hail that tore a lot of thing up? There are a lot of houses still in need of repair the last time I was in Blair and that was about 2 weeks ago.

I also read in the OWH I believe, a story a couple of weeks back about how there was going to be work starting to protect and preserve the buildings at least until a longer term plan was in place.
Do they have anything planned as far as usage? There is a ton of square footage up for grabs there.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Louie wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Do they have anything planned as far as usage? There is a ton of square footage up for grabs there.
last month midland said that they were going to start the repair sometime this month from the storm that went through june of last year, the coliseum and another building that i forgot will get repaired first because supposedly athletic teams uses it. Not sure on the future of it though because it's going to take A LOT of money to get it back into the shape that it was before it closed down.
Suit Up
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Amazing that Midland has been so slow to react to last year's storm damage. Inaction has made the repairs more costly.

Greg
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

I think its obvious by now Midland is going to nothing till they bulldoze it and let it sit as a lot.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Midlands is going to make an announcement in the coming months according to the Blair paper.
Last edited by PotatoeEatsFish on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Midlands is going to make an announcement in the coming moths according to the Blair paper.
That sounds terrible. No one will be able to enjoy their patios next summer.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Midlands is going to make an announcement in the coming moths according to the Blair paper.
That sounds terrible. No one will be able to enjoy their patios next summer.
:lol: My bad
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Will be interesting to see what they decide. Scary that the cost to bring it back have now doubled since 2013.

http://www.enterprisepub.com/news/dana/ ... b7a57.html

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Midland is going to Miracle Hills area though:
omaha.com

Across the creek from that new TD Ameritrade building.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That's good for the area. Surprised it's only for 10k square feet.

On the Blair front, wonder when they will ever find something good for the Dana land.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Hopefully they have something good to offer for this. Such a critical property for Blair and it's future:

http://www.kmtv.com/news/local-news/dev ... na-college
Otown88
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Otown88 »

From what I have heard a deal is in place for Grace University to move out there
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Otown88 wrote:From what I have heard a deal is in place for Grace University to move out there
Grace won't fill the whole campus. I'd expect other things too.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/gra ... 25924.html
Grace University in Omaha plans to relocate to Blair and take over a 30-acre slice of the former Dana College campus.

The move would be part of a proposed $92 million redevelopment of the 150-acre campus, according to plans presented Monday evening at a special meeting of the Blair City Council.

Other elements of the Frank and Jane Krejci Learning and Life Community planned for the campus include a 60-bed skilled nursing facility, a new home for Christ Lutheran Church, a film studio for Digg Site Productions of Fremont and a 150-unit, intergenerational housing development.

The housing portion would provide living arrangements for low-income elderly, young people coming out of foster care, veterans and women who have completed Heartland Family Service’s Nebraska Family Works program, said Ed Shada, an Omaha banker who is founder and CEO of Project Homeless Connect Omaha.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sounds like a really great plan and hopefully will be a shot in the arm for Blair.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

For as much guff as Frank Krejci has taken from this forum for the CrossRoads fiasco,.......maybe hes not such a rotten guy after all huh? :?:
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:For as much guff as Frank Krejci has taken from this forum for the CrossRoads fiasco,.......maybe hes not such a rotten guy after all huh? :?:

This is great. That does not change my opinion though that the city of Omaha has given him very generous incentives to make the Crossroads redevelopment happen, but he seems to want more (like he got with the Outlets).

Greg
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/news/education/gra ... 25924.html
Grace University in Omaha plans to relocate to Blair and take over a 30-acre slice of the former Dana College campus...
Cancel that: Grace University says it will halt operations at end of 2017-18 school year; financial, enrollment concerns blamed
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

New university finds home at Dana
Marv Overman, a former dean at Grace and the organizing agent of Charis, announced Sunday that the new university registered with the Nebraska Secretary of State's office.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Coyote wrote:New university finds home at Dana
Marv Overman, a former dean at Grace and the organizing agent of Charis, announced Sunday that the new university registered with the Nebraska Secretary of State's office.
I'll believe it when I see it.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I dunno about this. I think it might just be time for Grace to throw in the towel.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I dunno about this. I think it might just be time for Grace to throw in the towel.

This seems to be Grace by name only.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

nebugeater wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I dunno about this. I think it might just be time for Grace to throw in the towel.

This seems to be Grace by name only.
And by the people looking to run it... the mission... the target audience... basically everything Grace was with a new name slapped on it. If anything, it's Grace in everything except the name.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

The Grace 2.0 people claim the college will be open by fall but absolutely no work has been done. A church is moving into the chapel but besides that the college is still empty. They don't even bother locking the gym doors so i use their restrooms when i run on the track. They are tearing down two dorm buildings that were falling apart but at this point most of the dorms are too. This whole thing is such a mess since Blair refuses to let go of their college dreams. They should turn any dorms that are usable into apartments and make the rest of the buildings offices or industrial spaces. Grace 2.0 wont happen and it will be years if ever when another college is willing to move to Blair.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Here's an update on some redevelopment at Dana College. I am interested in MAPA's involvement in the project. It's good that this project aims to provide more affordable housing options for Blair, particularly with the growing investment in the bioscience industry at the Cargill/Novozymes campus.

http://mapacog.org/calendar/news/transf ... ge-campus/
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

ita wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:57 pm Here's an update on some redevelopment at Dana College. I am interested in MAPA's involvement in the project. It's good that this project aims to provide more affordable housing options for Blair, particularly with the growing investment in the bioscience industry at the Cargill/Novozymes campus.

http://mapacog.org/calendar/news/transf ... ge-campus/
Theyve torn down 2 old halls which were falling apart and have closed one of the roads. The houses they're building are all split level but the prices are off. The whole neighborhood around Dana has split levels valued around 160,000. Not sure how successful this new neighborhood will be.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

An executive of Great Western Bank and president of non-profit, Angels Share, Ed Shada, is developing Dana College into a campus for former foster care young people who have aged out of the system. The idea is two pronged: 1) to provide housing and training in the trades and in general life skills to help these youth to transition to adulthood and 2) to help provide a trained workforce for a tight labor market. There is quite a bit of money involved and City of Blair has backed this development. Additionally, Shada is in collaboration with Boys Town, who sees the development as a nice extension of its own mission. It sounds like Frank Krejci, owner of Crossroads, may have donated the buildings, like classrooms and dorms, for the project. I think it is a great project and redevelopment of an abandoned college campus.

https://www.omaha.com/money/plus/banker ... 0dfa0.html