Dana College

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Candleshoe

Coyote
City Council

Dana College

Postby Coyote » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Dana College is closing

Matthew Hansen WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Dana College is closing, school leaders announced late Wednesday. The private college in Blair won't reopen for the 2010-2011 school year, ending a 125-year history of Lutheran-affiliated, liberal arts education.

omaproud
Home Owners Association

Postby omaproud » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:20 am

This is a horrible thing, and I hope Dana can somehow survive.  The College is/was a source of pride for all Danes in Nebraska and surrounding area.  The Queen of Denmark visited once, and the Crown Prince was there recently(last year?)  Many of my family and friends attended Dana, and it is a shame that it is to be shuttered.

Omababe
Planning Board

Postby Omababe » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:18 pm

:(

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:25 pm

This makes me sad -- for the historic institution that Dana is (was...) and for the city of Blair.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963

Omababe
Planning Board

Postby Omababe » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:41 am

There was an interesting story a few minutes ago on NPR.

Apparently the company which made the offer to buy out Dana and keep it afloat was one of several which is notorious for trying to "buy accreditation" by bailing out a struggling college with a good reputation and then using their accreditation for such things as questionable on-line degrees and such.

They said the accrediting agency (NCA?) said NO WAY to the deal and that's what was the final event before closure.

S33
County Board

Postby S33 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:26 am

Omababe wrote:There was an interesting story a few minutes ago on NPR.

Apparently the company which made the offer to buy out Dana and keep it afloat was one of several which is notorious for trying to "buy accreditation" by bailing out a struggling college with a good reputation and then using their accreditation for such things as questionable on-line degrees and such.

They said the accrediting agency (NCA?) said NO WAY to the deal and that's what was the final event before closure.

Yeah, that's about what I heard. They sought a group of investors only to be denied accreditation. Should have lined up some serious investors earlier to improve the quality of academics and the school as a whole and possibly even grow their enrollment.

Ben
Human Relations

Postby Ben » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:59 am

I wonder what will become of that campus.  Its a fairly nice facility, if I recall correctly....

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Midland filling void left by Dana

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100707/N ... ft-by-dana

www.omaha.com wrote:Midland Lutheran officials said Wednesday that the Fremont college is on track to take in nearly half of Dana College's 600-plus students.

Midland also is adding four new athletic programs that will be run by former Dana coaches and is taking steps to hire some of Dana's faculty members.
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

iamjacobm
City Council

Postby iamjacobm » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:23 pm

At least the students are sticking by their guns and staying with the small private college.  I hope Midland Lutheran can continue to develop through this mess.

Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Postby Omaha_Gabe » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:34 am

Midland U. to make official bid today for Dana campus

LINCOLN — Citing “explosive” enrollment growth that has their landlocked Fremont campus bursting at its seams, Midland University officials announced that they would submit a bid this morning for the vacant Dana College campus in Blair.

“The opportunity to acquire a complete college campus that is central to the vitality of a great Nebraska community is incredibly rare,” Midland University Board Chairman Gary Perkins said Wednesday.

Continue Reading:  http://www.omaha.com/article/20130404/NEWS/704049866/1685#midland-u-to-make-official-bid-today-for-dana-campus

skinzfan23
County Board

Re: Dana College

Postby skinzfan23 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:08 am

Dana College: 5 Years Later
Images of what the former Dana College campus in Blair looks like on June 30, 2015 — exactly five years since the college closed.

I was recently at a wedding in Blair and drove through the campus...it is sad to see it in that bad of shape after only 5 years.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:22 am

skinzfan23 wrote:Dana College: 5 Years Later
Images of what the former Dana College campus in Blair looks like on June 30, 2015 — exactly five years since the college closed.

I was recently at a wedding in Blair and drove through the campus...it is sad to see it in that bad of shape after only 5 years.

Isn't the main reason it is in such bad shape the storm that went through Blair about a year ago with large hail that tore a lot of thing up? There are a lot of houses still in need of repair the last time I was in Blair and that was about 2 weeks ago.

I also read in the OWH I believe, a story a couple of weeks back about how there was going to be work starting to protect and preserve the buildings at least until a longer term plan was in place.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Louie
Library Board

Postby Louie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:03 pm

nebugeater wrote:

Isn't the main reason it is in such bad shape the storm that went through Blair about a year ago with large hail that tore a lot of thing up? There are a lot of houses still in need of repair the last time I was in Blair and that was about 2 weeks ago.

I also read in the OWH I believe, a story a couple of weeks back about how there was going to be work starting to protect and preserve the buildings at least until a longer term plan was in place.

Do they have anything planned as far as usage? There is a ton of square footage up for grabs there.

bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Postby bbtran72 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:33 pm

Louie wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Do they have anything planned as far as usage? There is a ton of square footage up for grabs there.

last month midland said that they were going to start the repair sometime this month from the storm that went through june of last year, the coliseum and another building that i forgot will get repaired first because supposedly athletic teams uses it. Not sure on the future of it though because it's going to take A LOT of money to get it back into the shape that it was before it closed down.
Suit Up

Greg S
Planning Board

Postby Greg S » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:17 am

Amazing that Midland has been so slow to react to last year's storm damage. Inaction has made the repairs more costly.

Greg

PotatoeEatsFish
Library Board

Postby PotatoeEatsFish » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:54 am

I think its obvious by now Midland is going to nothing till they bulldoze it and let it sit as a lot.
I got that Milf $

PotatoeEatsFish
Library Board

Postby PotatoeEatsFish » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:48 pm

Midlands is going to make an announcement in the coming months according to the Blair paper.
Last edited by PotatoeEatsFish on Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got that Milf $

TitosBuritoBarn
Parks & Recreation

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:37 pm

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Midlands is going to make an announcement in the coming moths according to the Blair paper.

That sounds terrible. No one will be able to enjoy their patios next summer.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

PotatoeEatsFish
Library Board

Postby PotatoeEatsFish » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:47 pm

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Midlands is going to make an announcement in the coming moths according to the Blair paper.

That sounds terrible. No one will be able to enjoy their patios next summer.

:lol: My bad
I got that Milf $

Greg S
Planning Board

Postby Greg S » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:19 pm

Will be interesting to see what they decide. Scary that the cost to bring it back have now doubled since 2013.

http://www.enterprisepub.com/news/dana/ ... b7a57.html

Greg

Greg S
Planning Board

Postby Greg S » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:12 am

nebraska
Home Owners Association

Postby nebraska » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:30 am

Midland is going to Miracle Hills area though:
omaha.com

Across the creek from that new TD Ameritrade building.

Greg S
Planning Board

Postby Greg S » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:15 am

That's good for the area. Surprised it's only for 10k square feet.

On the Blair front, wonder when they will ever find something good for the Dana land.

Greg

Greg S
Planning Board

Postby Greg S » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:12 am

Hopefully they have something good to offer for this. Such a critical property for Blair and it's future:

http://www.kmtv.com/news/local-news/dev ... na-college

Otown88
New to the Neighborhood

Postby Otown88 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:03 pm

From what I have heard a deal is in place for Grace University to move out there

PotatoeEatsFish
Library Board

Postby PotatoeEatsFish » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:17 pm

Otown88 wrote:From what I have heard a deal is in place for Grace University to move out there

Grace won't fill the whole campus. I'd expect other things too.
I got that Milf $

iamjacobm
City Council

Postby iamjacobm » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:41 am

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/grace-university-nursing-facility-housing-development-proposed-for-former-dana/article_d09bb6d6-02ca-11e7-8917-d378ea125924.html

Grace University in Omaha plans to relocate to Blair and take over a 30-acre slice of the former Dana College campus.

The move would be part of a proposed $92 million redevelopment of the 150-acre campus, according to plans presented Monday evening at a special meeting of the Blair City Council.

Other elements of the Frank and Jane Krejci Learning and Life Community planned for the campus include a 60-bed skilled nursing facility, a new home for Christ Lutheran Church, a film studio for Digg Site Productions of Fremont and a 150-unit, intergenerational housing development.

The housing portion would provide living arrangements for low-income elderly, young people coming out of foster care, veterans and women who have completed Heartland Family Service’s Nebraska Family Works program, said Ed Shada, an Omaha banker who is founder and CEO of Project Homeless Connect Omaha.

iamjacobm
City Council

Postby iamjacobm » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:42 am

Sounds like a really great plan and hopefully will be a shot in the arm for Blair.

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:59 pm

For as much guff as Frank Krejci has taken from this forum for the CrossRoads fiasco,.......maybe hes not such a rotten guy after all huh? :?:

Greg S
Planning Board

Postby Greg S » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:02 am

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:For as much guff as Frank Krejci has taken from this forum for the CrossRoads fiasco,.......maybe hes not such a rotten guy after all huh? :?:

This is great. That does not change my opinion though that the city of Omaha has given him very generous incentives to make the Crossroads redevelopment happen, but he seems to want more (like he got with the Outlets).

Greg

Return to “Nebraska and Iowa”