Hooper, NE

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Hooper, NE

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I don't usually read the NY Times, but picked today's issue up to kill some time this afternoon. And lo and behold, there was this article about Hooper, NE on the front page.

A Bypassed Small Town Makes a Visual Statement: Here We Are

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/08/us/08 ... per&st=cse
Nicole Bengiveno/The New York Times wrote:HOOPER, Neb. — A few years ago, the Nebraska Department of Roads rolled out a highway bypass to hasten the already-hurried everyday pace. Motorists rushing north to Norfolk, or south to Omaha, no longer had to slow to 40 miles an hour through a blink-and-miss-it place called Hooper.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Amazing article.  Great slice of Americana.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

I'm glad they didn't put up a sign that said something really stupid like, "Hooper - The Biggest Little Town In America!"
Coyote
City Council

Re: Hooper, NE

Post by Coyote »

Hit the Road, Jack: Hooper, Nebraska

Evidence of the Hooper's appetite for growth is prevalent; from the town's 9% increase of newbuild homes to the 17-mile trail under construction from Fremont to Hooper.

HOOPER, Neb. — Small in size, mighty in personality; Hooper, Nebraska and its population of 800 hopes you'll stop by and enjoy its variety of restaurants, outdoor activities, and meet its charismatic residents. "It's a very rich community, a very welcoming community here," said Hooper police chief Branden Stoural. "It's a lifestyle; it's not a job. You live in the community you police; you work closely with everyone." Evidence of Hooper's appetite for growth is prevalent; from the town's 9% increase of newbuild homes to the 17-mile trail under construction from Fremont to Hooper.
Brad
City Council

Re: Hooper, NE

Post by Brad »

Seriously???? I would expect other news stations in town to steel and idea, but this seem kind of beneath KETV???

There is a Fakebook page called "Hit the Road Jack" with 15,000 Followers that has been traveling to small Nebraska towns for over a decade now:
https://www.facebook.com/MarkandBeckyHTRJ

Now KETV swoops in and uses the exact same name? I don't care the the reporter is names Jack...