Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Fremont Commons (Mixed Use Project)

Post by Brad »

Fremont Commons (Mixed Use Project)

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110407/M ... hin-a-city
Kevin Cole WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:FREMONT, Neb. — Two brothers are betting the time is right for Fremont to embrace the kind of mixed-use real estate development that they’ve watched succeed in Omaha’s Aksarben Village and Midtown Crossing.

Brad and Bruce Nelsen announced Wednesday that they are creating Fremont Commons, a 127-acre retail and residential development on the southeast corner of the intersection of U.S. Highways 30 and 275. Groundbreaking is projected in about one year.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Wow, great news for Fremont. 127 acres is a pretty large development.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Cool!  This should be amazing for Fremont and I like how it is on the east side of 275.  I get the feeling that Fremont is really going to take off this decade.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Ok I did some research and it looks like this developer has experience with projects to include residential and shopping, what Village Pointe dropped the ball on.

Kierland Commons in Scottsdale looks pretty great.

Housing options above shopping.

It is surrounded by parking, but it is far more compact in the "Main Street" part than Village Pointe.

It also includes this awesome 9 story residential building.

This should be a pretty amazing project.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Thats a little ways outside of Fremont but is encouraging growth towards Omaha.  Fremont sprawl has begun!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

What an exciting announcement! It really goes to show that this is not just a bigger city phenomenon, but reflects a much greater, broader cultural desire for walkable, livable communities.

I would have liked to see this on underutilized land near downtown Fremont, or on a brownfield nearer to downtown, rather than on a greenfrield site near the highway--but I'll take it.

This is the type of development, along with a revitalized downtown, that would make excellent transit nodes for hooking Fremont up with commuter routes to Omaha.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Other than it being planned as one development, that really isn't any different than the intersection of Hwy 30 and Bell Street in the middle of Fremont.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

250,000 SF of retail space, on top of the 400,000 SF outlet malls and the expansion of Nebraska Crossing?  Me thinks we'll have a bit of a oversupply in the near future.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

But the more good retail space we get, the more we just have an over supply of bad retail space that can be adaptively reused!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Streets, I would of thought you would hate this development. Compared to the Arizona one, ours is..... blegh.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Axel wrote:Streets, I would of thought you would hate this development. Compared to the Arizona one, ours is..... blegh.

I am betting that if this development takes off and is completed he will change is user name to StreetsofFremont
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

I am absolutely shocked by Street's reaction to this.  How is this any different than many developments on Omaha?  Our neighborhood (area surrounded by major roads) has apartments in 2 spots and is connected to 2 commercial developments (one mostly office/dental/Doctor, etc. and the other mostly retail).  And this is at 138th and Q.

I fail to see how this would fit your desires at all.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

I didn't want to be the first to say it; I completely agree with joeglow and Axel. This seems like nothing special, is not even remotely dense, and doesn't seem mixed-use to me.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Actually, I don't think the rendering above my initial post was displaying when I commented... or I wouldn't have sounded as optimistic. :)

Basically, the description in the OWH article (below) sounded quite wonderful.  The schematic rendering above, however, looks like a very typical suburban PUD. What worries me most now, having seen that graphic, is that it seems to feature the dreaded and pointless "buffers" between the single-family housing, multi-family housing, and the retail area.
As envisioned, Fremont Commons will be home to about 250,000 square feet of retail space, 15,000 square feet of office space, 250 multifamily housing units, 119 lots for single-family homes, a 135-room hotel and 150 senior-living units. The development will be wrapped around a 23.5-acre lake and park.

Brad Nelsen said he pictures a movie theater, restaurants and retail shopping, all within walking distance, in a development anchored by Lake Victor Community Park.
As mentioned, though this sounds like mixed use, it really is a suburban PUD, which puts it somewhere on the spectrum between Village Point on the low end of land-use, and MTC and AK Village on the high end.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I dunno, even Village Pointe looks more walkable than that. This thing looks more like L Street Marketplace with a few things added.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Axel wrote:I dunno, even Village Pointe looks more walkable than that. This thing looks more like L Street Marketplace with a few things added.
Walkable? From where, your car?  :;):
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Axel wrote:I dunno, even Village Pointe looks more walkable than that. This thing looks more like L Street Marketplace with a few things added.
How else would one get there, you jackass...
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I lived in Chicago for a while, in the city.  I went with a friend down to Michigan Avenue.  I suppose you'd call that walkable.  We shopped at quite a few stores & my friend bought a load of stuff.  Gotta say, Streets, walkable aint all its cracked up to be.  We had a fun time shlepping all her purchases home on the bus.  She lived near a grocery store & had a wheeled cart she brought from home.  If you wanted a lot of stuff the cart didn't hold it all.  

There are definitely two sides to this discussion.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

You went shopping on Michigan Avenue and didn't get home delivery?  How gauche.

:;):
Stable genius.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Big E wrote:You went shopping on Michigan Avenue and didn't get home delivery?  How gauche.

:;):
Nope.  They would have used a car.  It would have ruined that "walkable" idea.

:P
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Allow my to rephrase that, you can walk through all of village pointe surrounded by development, where as with that its a sea on one side and development on the other.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

Is there any update on this project? Still in the works?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

FrontlineOmaha wrote:Is there any update on this project? Still in the works?
Still trying to make it work.  A lot of the retail has been cut from the plans though.  Fremont is needs to add sewer connections across 275 and they aren't really putting that as a priority right now.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Fremont Commons (Mixed Use Project)

Post by iamjacobm »

Long wait, but some new land owners have revived the project.

http://fremonttribune.com/news/local/ga ... 3fbf1.html
Earlier this week, the official announcement of Gallery 23 East was made, causing a stir throughout the community. During Tuesday evening’s Fremont City Council meeting, the Council voted 7-0 — Councilmember Scott Schaller was not in attendance — to introduce and have the first reading of an ordinance approving the request of Gallery 23 East, LLC, on behalf of Cosentino Holdings, for approval of a zoning change from GC General Commercial and R-3/TND Mixed-Density Residential with a Traditional Neighborhood overlay to PD Planned Development.

“This has to go through Council,” Getzschman said. “And Council will ultimately have to approve their design.”

With zoning approval, the purchased land — also home to a centrally-located 14-acre lake — would provide new opportunities to Fremont in regard to residential living and mixed-use commercial space. Some of these opportunities include plans for single family housing — such as townhomes and rental units — and multi-family apartment buildings.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

meh

Probably should open a new thread. New name, new concept. I'm glad they toned down the "mixed use" wording.
Available mixed-use commercial space would include office spaces and retail shopping opportunities.
If this magically happens, then the city should look at incentivizing Village Inn to move, tear down Square Tire, possibly tear down JC Penny's (since it will be closed), and extend Bell Street north...somehow linking up with Yager Rd. Then try to get the city to grow north. You know......away from the coal power plant.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

All the details of their proposal can be found here : http://www.fremontne.gov/AgendaCenter/V ... 252017-535

It starts around page 37.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

There have not been any crops planted on this land and there are for sale signs up around the land.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://fremonttribune.com/news/local/gr ... c85f7.html

Ground breaking ceremony yesterday.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

I drove by this development this week. It looks like grading is done, and some utilities have already been installed. There are fire hydrants, but no pavement yet. I'm a bit curious if the flooding this year has made them rethink anything. This development is awfully close to the flooding in Arlington.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

The Home Company is building 92 townhome units in this development. Prices range from $180-220k with size varying from about 1500-1800 sq. ft. I am excited someone is building new affordable townhomes in the suburbs, as more will be built in Bellevue (83 units) and south/northwest Omaha (# of units and location are still undetermined), per the article. I really like the influx in townhome development throughout the metro, varying in price and location. Now if only we could get some residential towers...

https://www.omaha.com/money/new-townhou ... 29870.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I totally missed this, but this should be great for Fremont and a heck of an anchor for the rest of this development.

https://omahamagazine.com/articles/tag/rtg-medical/
RTG has grown tremendously, Barrientos says. “The company was formed (as ReadyTech-Go) in a two-bedroom apartment at Thomasville Apartments in Omaha 18 years ago. It was literally an idea on the back of a napkin,” she says.

Two years later, the company moved its corporate offices to Fremont. Last year, RTG Medical made the Inc. 5000 list of the country’s fastest-growing companies for the fourth time, after also being named in 2005, 2007, and 2008.

The company is currently located on the second floor of First State Bank, 1005 E. 23rd St. in Fremont, but in response to continued and anticipated growth is beginning construction on a new 52,000-square-foot facility near Highways 275 and 30 at the Gallery 23 East development. The new national headquarters is slated to open in 2020.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

In reviewing the posts here it looks like 14 of these townhomes out of the 92 planned are to open in 2019. Known as Gallery 23 Brownstones.
The original development called for 220 total units. I am not finding any new data for the remaining units.

here is the video tour link as well.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

Pictures taken on Friday Jan 10 2020

Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Wow, those look really good from the front.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

U R my Helix wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:17 pm In reviewing the posts here it looks like 14 of these townhomes out of the 92 planned are to open in 2019. Known as Gallery 23 Brownstones.
The original development called for 220 total units. I am not finding any new data for the remaining units.

here is the video tour link as well.
Seriously? Brownstones? What kinda dumb marketing is that? "Brownstone is a brown Triassic-Jurassic sandstone which was once a popular building material." - Wiki. A Brownstone should be brown and made of stone.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Fremont Commons Apartments opened on May 2020, Phase 1 complete in September at 108 units with a phase 2 of 108 units scheduled to be complete in 2021. A phase 3 of 108 is planned for a total of 324 units. Also a great recap by the Fremont Tribune from Feb 2020 on what is happening in town for development. Tribune recap

Last edited by U R my Helix on Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That very last photo (4 of 4) is not Fremont, its Ravelo 192 in Omaha. It looks like a photo I took last fall.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Brad wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:33 pm That very last photo (4 of 4) is not Fremont, its Ravelo 192 in Omaha. It looks like a photo I took last fall.
Thanks I removed it. I must have put it in the wrong folder. I was wondering how they got such a nice shot and why they looked so complete. Was wondering where the next two phases were going when I posted it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The office looks sharp so far. Will be a great amenity for Fremont. Some nicer dining on the water will be good to add a bit to Fremont's offerings.