2012 Sandhill Crane Thread

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:Nice as always.   IF I remeber right you went our with a rented lens.  Did you have that for these second set too?
Thanks.  Yes, I had it both trips.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

According to Rowe's FB Page, there have been a few Cranes out there this week.

Anyone know how the fall migration is compared to the spring?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Brad wrote:According to Rowe's FB Page, there have been a few Cranes out there this week.

Anyone know how the fall migration is compared to the spring?
Normally, from what I've observed and heard about, the fall migration is barely noticeable. Several small groups will land and spend an evening or two and continue on, but your chances of spotting them are slim. You're more likely to hear them chattering overhead in midday and be lucky if you can pick them out in the sky as they ride the currents.

That being said, last fall was amazing in that there were literally thousands that not only visited all along the regular spring haunts, but most of those spent at least a couple of weeks, affording some nice bonus viewing. Of that group, a good share actually wintered along the river in Hall and Buffalo counties. I have a batch of images that I took the last week of October last year, mostly evening shots, towards the tail end of this thread:  http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10876

By the way, I just read Roger Welsch's comment on his Facebook page, that the sky is full of cranes over his place in Dannebrog right this minute.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cool, Thanks for the info!