G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Candleshoe
Human Relations

Re: G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Post by Candleshoe »

GetUrban wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:I just wonder if there is enough demand within 50 miles of GRI to make ORD, DEN, DFW & MSP service (with 70 seat jets) feasible.  All four.   How about ORD, DEN & DFW?  I;ve got to believe ORD & DEN are no brainers alone.  70 seat jet minimum.  I've asked this before but what is the population of the area of Grand Island, York, Hastings & Kearney area?
Those routes are precisely what Rapid City offers, with no airport competition within several hours driving time. GRI is growing by offering what Lincoln cannot. We flew out of GRI last week to Albuquerque. It was about $20 a ticket more than Southwest from Omaha, mainly because of lack of decent "Getaway" pricing for the dates we wanted. Plus, the flying time was a lot shorter, being an easy 90 degree angle for the route with no backtracking from Phoenix, plus no drive to Omaha or parking fees. When we got to the parking lot, I'd estimate nearly a third of the plates there were alpha/numeric metro counties.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Candleshoe wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:I just wonder if there is enough demand within 50 miles of GRI to make ORD, DEN, DFW & MSP service (with 70 seat jets) feasible.  All four.   How about ORD, DEN & DFW?  I;ve got to believe ORD & DEN are no brainers alone.  70 seat jet minimum.  I've asked this before but what is the population of the area of Grand Island, York, Hastings & Kearney area?
Those routes are precisely what Rapid City offers, with no airport competition within several hours driving time. GRI is growing by offering what Lincoln cannot. We flew out of GRI last week to Albuquerque. It was about $20 a ticket more than Southwest from Omaha, mainly because of lack of decent "Getaway" pricing for the dates we wanted. Plus, the flying time was a lot shorter, being an easy 90 degree angle for the route with no backtracking from Phoenix, plus no drive to Omaha or parking fees. When we got to the parking lot, I'd estimate nearly a third of the plates there were alpha/numeric metro counties.
This is kind of what I'm talking about. Given some of the prior posts you can get to 200k population. Far enough from Omaha to have time and money come into play. If the communities involved would invest in a survey and study they could go to the airlines and make a pretty strong case for United, American and Delta (or some combination of them) offering flights to hubs north, south, east and west. Having flown to and from some relatively similar airports (such as Peoria) I see every reason for Grand Island to become Central Nebraska's "Gateway" airport. I know many will say it's a stretch but the numbers and demand sure seem to be there. The kicker is Allegiant. Arizona, California and Florida flights? Amazing.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Interesting to see what this does to passenger counts in LNK.
No posts exist for this topic
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

The Central Nebraska Regional Airport in Grand Island set a new record.

The airport served a total of 60,947 airline passengers in 2014. That’s up 7 percent from the previous record of 56,902 passengers set in 2013.

To better serve the growing number of airline passengers in the future, the airport has started construction of a new $14.1 million passenger terminal. The 33,725-square-foot facility is expected to be complete by the spring of 2016.

The airport is also working on a main runway extension, from its current 7,000 feet to 8,000 feet. The longer runway, which could be built in 2017, would better accommodate flights to farther destinations.

The Central Nebraska Regional Airport offers twice-a-week nonstop jet service to Las Vegas and Phoenix/Mesa on Allegiant Air and twice-a-day nonstop jet service to Dallas/Fort Worth on the American Eagle network.
http://www.theindependent.com/news/loca ... 719e2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Great news! Now if they would only add a flight to a Delta hub.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

There is no reason that GRI doesn't have service to ORD, MSP, DFW and DEN, along with wherever Allegiant wants to go. That give GRI service in all four directions and to the major hubs. This airport should do a quarter of a million available seats outbound a year.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

NovakOmaha wrote:There is no reason that GRI doesn't have service to ORD, MSP, DFW and DEN, along with wherever Allegiant wants to go.  That give GRI service in all four directions and to the major hubs.  This airport should do a quarter of a million available seats outbound a year.
GRI does have daily flights to Dallas. Nearby Kearney has flights to Denver, although I am not sure what their numbers are like. I agree, I think GRI could easily sustain DEN and MSP. Now that Lincoln is carrying ATL, even with a short drive, you can get anywhere in the world.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

gisbuxfan wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:There is no reason that GRI doesn't have service to ORD, MSP, DFW and DEN, along with wherever Allegiant wants to go.  That give GRI service in all four directions and to the major hubs.  This airport should do a quarter of a million available seats outbound a year.
GRI does have daily flights to Dallas. Nearby Kearney has flights to Denver, although I am not sure what their numbers are like. I agree, I think GRI could easily sustain DEN and MSP. Now that Lincoln is carrying ATL, even with a short drive, you can get anywhere in the world.
I wasn't saying that GRI didnt have service to DFW. I was saying that GRI (with Kearney and nearby towns) could easily support the service mentioned as a whole. Think BIG GRI! In fact, why not use the GRI and rename it Grand Island International Airport? Lengthen the runway enough and get service to London or Tokyo.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

GRI won't see additional routes till it rids itself of the EAS designation, which is high on their list of priorities. That comes with a risk though. Lose the EAS and if American Eagle takes a hike without the guaranteed money, GRI is SOL. I would think the DFW American Eagle would be a safe bet to keep with it's near 80% boardings. The Kearney Denver flights are pretty iffy right now, with Great Lakes playing with the idea of 9 seater planes so they can use less experienced pilots, while Aerodynamics bid to take over the route with regional jets it doesn't actually have yet with no actual experience outside of charter flights, might mean American Eagle could swoop in and grab the DEN route as well. Question is... does DEN take away from DFW boardings? MSP or ORD... I don't see both working till the market matures some.

We flew in to Savannah/Hilton Head last year and they have a pretty busy airport with nothing more than regional airlines.

Anyway, if the EAS goes away and service to DFW continues, the airport becomes a lot more attractive to other routes. But not till then...
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Construction updates

ImageDSC_2871 by Joe, on Flickr

ImageDSC_2875 by Joe, on Flickr

ImageDSC_2880 by Joe, on Flickr
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow, they have made a lot of progress.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That terminal doesn't look tall enough for a jetway maybe they'll have an escalator type jetway.
15-17, 26, 32
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

MTO wrote:That terminal doesn't look tall enough for a jetway maybe they'll have an escalator type jetway.
For a while in the early 2000s, some Midway gates had stairs up to a jet way.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

MTO wrote:That terminal doesn't look tall enough for a jetway maybe they'll have an escalator type jetway.
It's not, but they originally said that they were going to add a passenger boarding bridge. Which i am not sure how since the lay out of the new building calls out for a 1 story passenger terminal, currently they are still going to keep the old terminal, but i am sure as they expand in the future that the old building will eventually be gone.
Suit Up
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

bbtran72 wrote:
It's not, but they originally said that they were going to add a passenger boarding bridge. Which i am not sure how since the lay out of the new building calls out for a 1 story passenger terminal, currently they are still going to keep the old terminal, but i am sure as they expand in the future that the old building will eventually be gone.
I'm under the impression that the old terminal will be converted to Administration and other office space.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Candleshoe wrote:
bbtran72 wrote:
I'm under the impression that the old terminal will be converted to Administration and other office space.
That is what i read too, i was just saying that when they do expand i can't see them expanding south, but if they go north they'll have to take out the old terminal.
Suit Up
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

bbtran72 wrote: That is what i read too, i was just saying that when they do expand i can't see them expanding south, but if they go north they'll have to take out the old terminal.
Ahhh... I just remembered reading that the terminal is designed so that future expansion will be easy. I don't know which walls are planned for easy knockout, but they do have a plan.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

That's for sure, with all this expansion with the terminal and the runway i wonder what the future for kearney regional airport will look like, especially if some how GI get a flight to denver, which i am sure has been talked about before.
Suit Up
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

There was talk a few years ago that once they lengthened the runway Allegiant would begin flights to Florida. At some point GRI, with the new terminal & longer runway, could support flights to Denver, MSP, Dallas, Chicago and however many Allegiant destinations they can get. Go GRI!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

NovakOmaha wrote:There was talk a few years ago that once they lengthened the runway Allegiant would begin flights to Florida. At some point GRI, with the new terminal & longer runway, could support flights to Denver, MSP, Dallas, Chicago and however many Allegiant destinations they can get. Go GRI!
As far as I know the Allegiant flight to Florida won't be happening anytime soon since they went into Omaha. However, I do believe the longer runway will bring in new flights. It would be great to get a daily flight to Chicago or even MSP.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

NovakOmaha wrote:There was talk a few years ago that once they lengthened the runway Allegiant would begin flights to Florida. At some point GRI, with the new terminal & longer runway, could support flights to Denver, MSP, Dallas, Chicago and however many Allegiant destinations they can get. Go GRI!
Stupid question and comment here. I'm under the impression that the runways at Grand Island are already longer than those at Midway, which is boxed in by city streets and can't be expanded. Midway already has flights to both coasts (I've flown from Midway to San Jose) so how can the runway limit where they fly?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

gisbuxfan wrote:
As far as I know the Allegiant flight to Florida won't be happening anytime soon since they went into Omaha. However, I do believe the longer runway will bring in new flights. It would be great to get a daily flight to Chicago or even MSP.
Take a look at Allegiant's route map from Des Moines, Cedar Rapids and the Quad Cities. All three fly to cities in California, Arizona and Florida. If that makes sense then flights to various Arizona, California and Florida cities from both Omaha and Grand Island makes sense as well. So they fly from Omaha to St Pete...why not GRI to Orlando. Same with California.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Omababe wrote:
Stupid question and comment here. I'm under the impression that the runways at Grand Island are already longer than those at Midway, which is boxed in by city streets and can't be expanded. Midway already has flights to both coasts (I've flown from Midway to San Jose) so how can the runway limit where they fly?
Allegiants fleet of McDonnell Douglas MD-83's are heavy and powerful, using 1980's technology and aren't terribly fuel efficient, so Orlando flights would require a full tank as opposed to the shorter hauls they now make. Thus, a longer runway to assure safe takeoffs during warm season daytime hours when the air is heavier.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Candleshoe wrote:
Omababe wrote:
Allegiants fleet of McDonnell Douglas MD-83's are heavy and powerful, using 1980's technology and aren't terribly fuel efficient, so Orlando flights would require a full tank as opposed to the shorter hauls they now make. Thus, a longer runway to assure safe takeoffs during warm season daytime hours when the air is heavier.
80s tech. I feel safer already.

Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

http://www.nebraska.tv/story/29748364/d ... ant-flight

Allegiant adds Saturday GRI non-stops to Orlando, beginning in November and ending, tentatively around Easter in 2016, subject to review.
Summer flights still aren't likely till the runways are extended in 2017, as summer heat requires longer runways for takeoffs and the Orlando flights would require more fuel than existing flights.
Travelers can now fly nonstop to the theme park capital of the world, as Allegiant announces new flights from Grand Island to Orlando.

Flights from the Central Nebraska Regional Airport will begin this November, with fares as low as $49 one way to kick off the new service.
The airport is also in the midst of building a new passenger terminal, scheduled to open in 2016.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:http://www.nebraska.tv/story/29748364/d ... ant-flight

Allegiant adds Saturday GRI non-stops to Orlando, beginning in November and ending, tentatively around Easter in 2016, subject to review.
Summer flights still aren't likely till the runways are extended in 2017, as summer heat requires longer runways for takeoffs and the Orlando flights would require more fuel than existing flights.
Travelers can now fly nonstop to the theme park capital of the world, as Allegiant announces new flights from Grand Island to Orlando.

Flights from the Central Nebraska Regional Airport will begin this November, with fares as low as $49 one way to kick off the new service.
The airport is also in the midst of building a new passenger terminal, scheduled to open in 2016.
Orlando is a great addition as a destination location. Hoping GI can pick up another utility location like Chicago or Minneapolis or Denver.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Yup i agree, if they can pick up Chicago, Denver they would be set. Maybe add more charter flights location like San Francisco, Atlanta, St. Louis.... i'm just dreaming lol
Suit Up
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Updates from GRI

http://www.theindependent.com/news/loca ... 1ad69.html
It was a record-breaking year — again — for the Central Nebraska Regional Airport in Grand Island.

The airport had 64,643 boardings in 2015, which was a 6 percent increase over last year.
This past November, it added its third destination, weekly flights to Orlando, Fla., on the 166-seat MD-80 or a 177-seat Airbus A320.
There were 7,315 passengers boarding planes in December, which was the single largest month of service in the airport’s 79-year history.

Olson said the next destination that the board is working to secure is Chicago.
But before any more flights come on line, the airport will open its new 33,725-square-foot passenger terminal, which cost $14.1 million to build.

"It’s going well," Olson said. "It should be open to passengers at the end of March."

The airport’s next big project will be extending its existing 7,000-foot-long runway to 8,000 feet to make further destinations possible. That multiyear project is expected to get underway in 2017.

"The way I look at it now, we’ll do more in 2016 than in 2015," he said.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Candleshoe wrote:Update on the new terminal.

http://www.nebraska.tv/story/31441559/n ... d=12276939

That looks really nice!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I'm impressed. Looks like it'll be more inline with the times than Eppley.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I'm impressed. Looks like it'll be more inline with the times than Eppley.
Actually, I think that Eppley is one of the nicest airports there is! It's a pleasure to fly out of compared to most other large and mid size airports.

Now if they would only have real food inside the security zones and a few nonstops to some of the more popular destinations it would be even better!
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Omababe wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I'm impressed. Looks like it'll be more inline with the times than Eppley.
Actually, I think that Eppley is one of the nicest airports there is! It's a pleasure to fly out of compared to most other large and mid size airports.

Now if they would only have real food inside the security zones and a few nonstops to some of the more popular destinations it would be even better!
I would love a stand from popular Omaha restaurants like Stoysich, Blue, or Gray Plume. I still don't understand why Stoysich doesn't sell their sausages in TD Ameritrade park. They would make so much money!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Anyone fly through the new terminal yet? What an amazing improvement it is. This when combined with the improved runway should hasten the addition of Chicago, Minneapolis and Denver.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Will be interesting to see how Central Nebraska Regional Airport fairs if Trumps's budget proposal passes and airport's like this one lose subsidies they receive from the EAS program. Could be a shot in the arm to Lincoln and Omaha but at the cost of people in central Nebraska.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Linkin5 wrote:Will be interesting to see how Central Nebraska Regional Airport fairs if Trumps's budget proposal passes and airport's like this one lose subsidies they receive from the EAS program. Could be a shot in the arm to Lincoln and Omaha but at the cost of people in central Nebraska.
Does it still receive much from EAS? I thought I saw something a few years ago where it had grown to the point where it didn't receive as much, if any. I could be wrong....
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Will be interesting to see how Central Nebraska Regional Airport fairs if Trumps's budget proposal passes and airport's like this one lose subsidies they receive from the EAS program. Could be a shot in the arm to Lincoln and Omaha but at the cost of people in central Nebraska.
Does it still receive much from EAS? I thought I saw something a few years ago where it had grown to the point where it didn't receive as much, if any. I could be wrong....
Looks like 1.2 million, which I assume would be sorely missed if taken away. Looks like other airports in the area receive significantly more though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_Air_Service
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Dropped off a few family members that flew up from AZ for the eclipse and poked my head in here. Nice facility for GI and Central Nebraska. I tend to agree with earlier comments that it might be better for the Tri City area if Kearney dropped its Denver service and GI were able to attract a larger carrier than PenAir like a SkyWest under the United umbrella.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote:Dropped off a few family members that flew up from AZ for the eclipse and poked my head in here. Nice facility for GI and Central Nebraska. I tend to agree with earlier comments that it might be better for the Tri City area if Kearney dropped its Denver service and GI were able to attract a larger carrier than PenAir like a SkyWest under the United umbrella.
Well PenAir ended up going under, but the only replacement flight to Denver I have found is at North Platte. They are getting a 50 seat jet through SkyWest(United).

EDIT: Looks like Scottsbluff got the service as well. Kearney has applied, but has to finish a $12 million runway project before they can get service back. Seems like the region would be better off with all service out of GI, but I am sure Kearney likes the closer service.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

iamjacobm wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Dropped off a few family members that flew up from AZ for the eclipse and poked my head in here. Nice facility for GI and Central Nebraska. I tend to agree with earlier comments that it might be better for the Tri City area if Kearney dropped its Denver service and GI were able to attract a larger carrier than PenAir like a SkyWest under the United umbrella.
Well PenAir ended up going under, but the only replacement flight to Denver I have found is at North Platte. They are getting a 50 seat jet through SkyWest(United).

EDIT: Looks like Scottsbluff got the service as well. Kearney has applied, but has to finish a $12 million runway project before they can get service back. Seems like the region would be better off with all service out of GI, but I am sure Kearney likes the closer service.
GI is gettting EAS, as will Kearney. They won't pay for two airlines at the same airport.