G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater, Candleshoe

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2100
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:51 am

The Architect/Engineer they hired looks like they do really good work with airports. I'm sure it'll be a vast improvement over the current terminal.

G.I looks to build new airport terminal

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120222/NEWS01/702229839

High passenger demand has created the need in Grand Island.
"Passengers increased 217 percent over a three-year period, while nationally the increase was only 8 percent," said Ron McNeill, the senior air service consultant for Mead & Hunt, the architectural and engineering firm that is preparing the new terminal plan and design.


Hall County Airport Authority board Chairwoman Lynne Werner said "tailwinds" have pushed the number of passengers using the local airport from 10,000 when she started on the board seven years ago, to 47,000 this past year.
Revenues for airlines serving Grand Island jumped 432 percent versus the 18 percent airline revenue increase nationally, McNeill said.


The committee members will meet with the consultants again in April and June to give input on what amenities the new terminal should have.
"We want to make an impression," Olson said of the terminal's impact.
"This is something the community has needed for a long, long time," former mayor Ken Gnadt said of the terminal.

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2192
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Postby Omababe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:17 am

If you have ever seen the Grand Island airport (I have flown out of there once) it's so tiny it makes the airport in the sitcom Wings look like O'Hare by comparison! I think it has 2 "gates", and those are just doorways out to the runway area.

The few-times-weekly flights by Allegiant which use full-size planes, mostly full, absolutely overwhelms that airport.

A new terminal would be nice for them, but what happens if Allegiant pulls out? (As they quickly did with Lincoln!)

Candleshoe
Human Relations
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE

Postby Candleshoe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:50 am

Omababe wrote:If you have ever seen the Grand Island airport (I have flown out of there once) it's so tiny it makes the airport in the sitcom Wings look like O'Hare by comparison! I think it has 2 "gates", and those are just doorways out to the runway area.

The few-times-weekly flights by Allegiant which use full-size planes, mostly full, absolutely overwhelms that airport.

A new terminal would be nice for them, but what happens if Allegiant pulls out? (As they quickly did with Lincoln!)


It could happen, but the things that were in place that compelled Allegiant to move out of Lincoln don't exist in GI. Lincoln has higher fuel prices, plus I believe that Allegiant has essentially free rent via a $150,000 incentive package that basically pays for marketing and covers some of the fees. The incentive money is all spent locally, or debited from Allegiants bills. The passenger rate for the Vegas flights seems to move around from 85-95% of capacity while the Phoenix flights are consistently in the mid 90% range.

The new flights to Dallas on American Eagle average around 75-85% full with occasional sellouts, so things are looking up as far as potentially getting more regional jet destinations and getting off of EAS subsidies.

As for the gates at GRI, actually there are three. One is incoming waiting area, which originally worked for all passengers before the days of security and can accomodate 50-60, one is outgoing for regular commercial flights, which will only hold 30 and the third is for charter, which is the one that Allegiant uses. It's essentially a low frills waiting area with a separate entrance past the security check in. It will accommodate around 180. They added that around 4 years ago. Gate one holds a lot more than gate two, but the way it's constructed, security would require major renovations.

But, yeah... a new terminal is definitely needed, period.

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Postby NovakOmaha » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:54 pm

The Grand Island, Kearney, Hastings area has way over 100,000 and probably closer to 150,000 or 200,000 people to draw from.  I took a look at Allegiant's map & Orlando, Tampa & LAX are definitely plausible.  If the area got together & pooled resources maybe they could draw flights to Chicago & Denver.  Think about it.  Phoenix, Vegas, Orlando, LAX, Denver & Chicago.  Do that & the airport draws maybe 100,000 a year or more passengers.  Not out of the realm of possibility given the current stats.

Take a look at the Rockford, Illinois airport.  Similar service to GRI.  A bit more.  Anyway, 5 gates, two levels.  GRI should take a look.

Candleshoe
Human Relations
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE

Postby Candleshoe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:19 pm

NovakOmaha wrote:The Grand Island, Kearney, Hastings area has way over 100,000 and probably closer to 150,000 or 200,000 people to draw from.  I took a look at Allegiant's map & Orlando, Tampa & LAX are definitely plausible.  If the area got together & pooled resources maybe they could draw flights to Chicago & Denver.  Think about it.  Phoenix, Vegas, Orlando, LAX, Denver & Chicago.  Do that & the airport draws maybe 100,000 a year or more passengers.  Not out of the realm of possibility given the current stats.

Take a look at the Rockford, Illinois airport.  Similar service to GRI.  A bit more.  Anyway, 5 gates, two levels.  GRI should take a look.


I don't remember the particulars and timing exactly, but a couple of decades ago there was a study done to see if a centralized airport could be built in the area. The logical and fair location, all things being equal, would be somewhere around Wood River. The problem ended up being the birds. Just too many in the area to make that work, given it's location near the Platte River, a major spring flyway, so then the study settled on the old Ordnance Plant just west of GI. Two problems there were that the US Army didn't know if it wanted to give up the property and even if it did, Kearney said "No way!" Hastings threw it's hat in with GI to just redevelop the airport in GI, but that's about when the deregulation came up. GI lost Omaha, Denver and Minneapolis service on 737's.

It's been attempted to combine efforts into just one commercial airfield, but Kearney will only agree if it's theirs. GI screwed up when they tried to change their EAS service to Minneapolis or Chicago with Kansas City being it's third choice. it got KCI and Kearney took off, so to speak, with it's EAS service to Denver.

Speed up to today and Kearney still has the 19 seat turbo props and GI has regional jets. GI is looking to board up to 60,000 this year and Kearney failed to hit 10,000 last year.

Kearney is putting money into expanding their terminal though...

As for other cities, Orlando is on the Allegiant wish list and they said they'd do it if GRI had a longer runway to handle the weight of the planes with a heavier fuel load. For Denver or Chicago, I don't when when, but I'd about bet you'll see that eventually. Mike Olsen, the airport Manager has been hinting that there will be some cool announcements in the coming months.

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Postby NovakOmaha » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Candleshoe wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:The Grand Island, Kearney, Hastings area has way over 100,000 and probably closer to 150,000 or 200,000 people to draw from.  I took a look at Allegiant's map & Orlando, Tampa & LAX are definitely plausible.  If the area got together & pooled resources maybe they could draw flights to Chicago & Denver.  Think about it.  Phoenix, Vegas, Orlando, LAX, Denver & Chicago.  Do that & the airport draws maybe 100,000 a year or more passengers.  Not out of the realm of possibility given the current stats.

Take a look at the Rockford, Illinois airport.  Similar service to GRI.  A bit more.  Anyway, 5 gates, two levels.  GRI should take a look.


I don't remember the particulars and timing exactly, but a couple of decades ago there was a study done to see if a centralized airport could be built in the area. The logical and fair location, all things being equal, would be somewhere around Wood River. The problem ended up being the birds. Just too many in the area to make that work, given it's location near the Platte River, a major spring flyway, so then the study settled on the old Ordnance Plant just west of GI. Two problems there were that the US Army didn't know if it wanted to give up the property and even if it did, Kearney said "No way!" Hastings threw it's hat in with GI to just redevelop the airport in GI, but that's about when the deregulation came up. GI lost Omaha, Denver and Minneapolis service on 737's.

It's been attempted to combine efforts into just one commercial airfield, but Kearney will only agree if it's theirs. GI screwed up when they tried to change their EAS service to Minneapolis or Chicago with Kansas City being it's third choice. it got KCI and Kearney took off, so to speak, with it's EAS service to Denver.

Speed up to today and Kearney still has the 19 seat turbo props and GI has regional jets. GI is looking to board up to 60,000 this year and Kearney failed to hit 10,000 last year.

Kearney is putting money into expanding their terminal though...

As for other cities, Orlando is on the Allegiant wish list and they said they'd do it if GRI had a longer runway to handle the weight of the planes with a heavier fuel load. For Denver or Chicago, I don't when when, but I'd about bet you'll see that eventually. Mike Olsen, the airport Manager has been hinting that there will be some cool announcements in the coming months.


If GRI could get Chicago & Denver the place would explode.  Kearney can take a seat & watch.  Then GRI lands Southwest & Omaha can take a seat & watch.  I say within 10 years GRI is a major hub & people drive from Denver to fly.  I heard there was going to be an announcement of 3 major corporations relocating to Grand Island, along with a car plant and a huge mall with Macys, Nordstroms, Sacks, IKEA.....what's that?  Oh yeah.  Time to take my pill.....

Candleshoe
Human Relations
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE

Postby Candleshoe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:03 pm

LOL, we'll settle for Olive Garden for now...  :lol:

Candleshoe
Human Relations
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE

Postby Candleshoe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:04 pm

2012 passenger count set a record for GRI at over 56,000.

http://www.nebraska.tv/story/20585761/c ... er-records

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Postby NovakOmaha » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:40 am

I still think that Grand Island & Kearney should combine airports & build one between them.  You'd think they could draw service to Denver, Chicago & maybe keep the Dallas flights in addition to Allegiant.  It isn't inconceivable to see 100,000 that way.

User avatar
bbtran72
Home Owners Association
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:54 pm
Location: Hastings, Ne

Postby bbtran72 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:01 pm

If GRI could get Chicago & Denver the place would explode.  Kearney can take a seat & watch.  Then GRI lands Southwest & Omaha can take a seat & watch.  I say within 10 years GRI is a major hub & people drive from Denver to fly.  I heard there was going to be an announcement of 3 major corporations relocating to Grand Island, along with a car plant and a huge mall with Macys, Nordstroms, Sacks, IKEA.....what's that?  Oh yeah.  Time to take my pill.....[/quote]

HAHA if only what you said were true and not a deam
Suit Up

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Postby NovakOmaha » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:11 pm

bbtran72 wrote:If GRI could get Chicago & Denver the place would explode.  Kearney can take a seat & watch.  Then GRI lands Southwest & Omaha can take a seat & watch.  I say within 10 years GRI is a major hub & people drive from Denver to fly.  I heard there was going to be an announcement of 3 major corporations relocating to Grand Island, along with a car plant and a huge mall with Macys, Nordstroms, Sacks, IKEA.....what's that?  Oh yeah.  Time to take my pill.....


HAHA if only what you said were true and not a deam[/quote]

30-60 days

Seriously, other cities of similar size have service to Chicago & Denver.  Why not GRI?  Clearly the airport board has big thinkers or Allegiant wouldn't have set up shop there.  Think big.  Think why not?  Build the new terminal with 4-6 gates & then work on using them.  GRI doesn't even have a river next to it so flooding isn't as big a threat.

User avatar
gisbuxfan
Library Board
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:12 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE
Contact:

Postby gisbuxfan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:44 pm

NovakOmaha wrote: GRI doesn't even have a river next to it so flooding isn't as big a threat.


Really!? Have you been to Grand Island recently? We spend the better part of the year underwater. The town is built ON the river.

We do love the progress the airport is making though!

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Postby NovakOmaha » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Ok so I have time on my hands.

I looked around the country at different smaller market airports and I settled on the Central Illinois Regional Airport in Bloomington.  They just recently opened a new terminal.  It's got 6 or so gates and that may be bigger than GRI needs right now but maybe GRI could build with an eye on expansion.  

From the airport web site:

AIRLINE SERVICE:    With daily flights to Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Detroit, Minneapolis-St. Paul and beyond,  at affordable rates, it's no wonder that the Central Illinois Regional Airport has become one of the hottest travel gateways in the Midwest.    Flights to/from Denver on Frontier operate four times weekly - Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.  Flights to/from Orlando International on Frontier operate three times per week - Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  Flights to/from Orlando Sanford on Allegiant operate twice weekly - Thursday and Sunday.

In 2011 CIRA had over 570,000 passengers in and out of the airport and I'm not suggesting that GRI could post those numbers.  On the other hand, IF Delta flew to MSP, United to Denver and Chicago, Allegiant to Vegas, Phoenix and Orlando....maybe toss in Delta to Atlanta...you could be talking some impressive numbers.  I think there is sufficient demand from central Nebraska to justify United and Delta taking a look.

Here is the web site http://www.cira.com/

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3828
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Postby Linkin5 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:39 pm

You didn't even know Grand Island was located next to a river.

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Postby NovakOmaha » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:32 pm

Linkin5 wrote:You didn't even know Grand Island was located next to a river.


Which river is the Grand Island Airport next to?  Or on?

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3828
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Postby Linkin5 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:21 pm

NovakOmaha wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:You didn't even know Grand Island was located next to a river.


Which river is the Grand Island Airport next to?  Or on?


Grand Island is next to the Platte River.  If you would like any other geographical help I will be here all day.

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Postby NovakOmaha » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:52 pm

Linkin5 wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:You didn't even know Grand Island was located next to a river.


Which river is the Grand Island Airport next to?  Or on?


Grand Island is next to the Platte River.  If you would like any other geographical help I will be here all day.


It doesn't look like the airport is anywhere near the Platte River.  Help out a poor former Omahan stranded in Detroit....

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3828
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Postby Linkin5 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 pm

NovakOmaha wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:[quote="Linkin5"]You didn't even know Grand Island was located next to a river.


Which river is the Grand Island Airport next to?  Or on?


Grand Island is next to the Platte River.  If you would like any other geographical help I will be here all day.


It doesn't look like the airport is anywhere near the Platte River.  Help out a poor former Omahan stranded in Detroit....[/quote]

Glad to help you out.  It's right by the river it's next to.

User avatar
gisbuxfan
Library Board
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:12 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE
Contact:

Postby gisbuxfan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 pm

Linkin5 wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:[quote="NovakOmaha"][quote="Linkin5"]You didn't even know Grand Island was located next to a river.


Which river is the Grand Island Airport next to?  Or on?


Grand Island is next to the Platte River.  If you would like any other geographical help I will be here all day.


It doesn't look like the airport is anywhere near the Platte River.  Help out a poor former Omahan stranded in Detroit....[/quote]

Glad to help you out.  It's right by the river it's next to.[/quote]

Grand Island is on the north side of the Platte River and south of the Loop River. We are a sand bar, or an island. The issue Grand Island has is that it is so flat, our water table is so high, we flood very easily, not just places near the river(s) but everywhere. I have been here for 6 years now and am amazed by how easily it floods here.

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3828
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Postby Linkin5 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:12 pm

gisbuxfan wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:[quote="Linkin5"][quote="NovakOmaha"][quote="Linkin5"]You didn't even know Grand Island was located next to a river.


Which river is the Grand Island Airport next to?  Or on?


Grand Island is next to the Platte River.  If you would like any other geographical help I will be here all day.


It doesn't look like the airport is anywhere near the Platte River.  Help out a poor former Omahan stranded in Detroit....[/quote]

Glad to help you out.  It's right by the river it's next to.[/quote]

Grand Island is on the north side of the Platte River and south of the Loop River. We are a sand bar, or an island. The issue Grand Island has is that it is so flat, our water table is so high, we flood very easily, not just places near the river(s) but everywhere. I have been here for 6 years now and am amazed by how easily it floods here.[/quote]

I know, thanks or expanding though.  My family has a cabin in this area.  I love this area of the state.

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Postby NovakOmaha » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:21 am

My question isn't about the city.  It's about the airport.  Eppley was forced to wall itself off from the godless, communist missouri river.  Has the Grand Island AIRPORT ever been threatened by a river?

User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4552
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Postby S33 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:59 am

Linkin5 wrote: My family has a cabin in this area.  I love this area of the state.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y[/youtube]

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3828
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Postby Linkin5 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:17 am

S33 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote: My family has a cabin in this area.  I love this area of the state.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y[/youtube]


Also, I enjoy turtles.

User avatar
bbtran72
Home Owners Association
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:54 pm
Location: Hastings, Ne

Postby bbtran72 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:19 am

Just got back from vegas yesterday and this was my first time flying out of grand island. We had a 2 hour delay it was just packed with 2 flights in one area, also the food is not even that great.  The good news is that i saw this last night so i was even more happy because flying out of GI is great and convience, it's just the facilities that bums me out.

http://www.khastv.com/news/local/Centra ... 19401.html
Suit Up

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Postby NovakOmaha » Tue May 07, 2013 1:38 pm

The Grand Island airport has a new web site.  Very well done.

http://www.flygrandisland.com/

or if you're Mort Sullivan, dubya dubya dubya fly grand island dot com

Candleshoe
Human Relations
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE

Postby Candleshoe » Tue May 14, 2013 12:42 pm

Just used GRI for the first time in a decade, via American Eagle to Savannah, GA via one stop at Dallas. ONE STOP! Turned out flying from home was faster and cheaper than Omaha or Lincoln (travel time and parking costs considered), so that was a very pleasant surprise.

Arrived an hour and a quarter before the scheduled flight like we're told to and there was no line at the ticket counter. The TSA agent checking ID turns out to be a friend of the wife and since it was quiet, we got to visit for a while. WEIRD! Her post is out by the ticket counters because there's not enough room in the security area, so that's kind of dorky.

Went through the security process and the 5 TSA folks in there were actually friendly and one of them was apparently in charge of humor and cut up at every opportunity. DOUBLE WEIRD!

So, we get to the holding area and discover that we're about the last ones to arrive for our flight, which had us worried we had the schedule wrong. Nope, everybody else was extra early too and will do better, next time.

The Allegiant outbound for Vegas that should have left an hour earlier though was still on the ground with about 150 folks filling the larger holding annex, or whatever they call it. So, getting to the restrooms was pretty much impossible till they finally cleared out. Apparently Vegas was backed up and putting flights on hold for some reason was all we could gather from conversations.

The next thing I couldn't believe was that people had placed orders for lunches from the cafe outside the secure area and the TSA people were picking them up and bringing them to the passengers by hand.

So, summing up, the current airport is 60's vintage and it shows and the bandaids are pretty poorly designed to keep it running. I've seen preliminary art for the new terminal and it's disappointing that they're only designing it to handle two planes and up to 200 people at a time, but it probably makes all the sense in the world right now. it looks like it will be easily expandable. At least there will be two jet bridges instead of the existing ramps.

The drawings are only preliminary, just for a place to start for discussion, I'm guessing. The final design should follow in a few months as the FAA just released $900K for design work with an early 2014 construction start anticipated.

Image

Image

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Postby NovakOmaha » Tue May 14, 2013 1:54 pm

I'm telling you, the GRI airport has the capability to be a real economic engine for central Nebraska.  Flights to Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis and/or Dallas, as well as flight on Allegiant to Vegas, Phoenix, Orlando, etc., could easily take GRI well over 100k, maybe even 150-200.  It would eat Lincoln's lunch and between GRI & OMA LNK would sink even further into the hole it's already in.  That's just regional economics.  

Keep up the good work Grand Island!  Tons of good stuff going on.

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2192
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Postby Omababe » Tue May 14, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm still p*ssed that Allegiant pulled out of LNK. LNK is almost as convenient for me as Eppley.

Candleshoe
Human Relations
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE

Re: G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Postby Candleshoe » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:19 am

Renderings of the new terminal. Note the blue streak on the flooring... it's designed to both pay tribute to the Platte River AND direct the natural flow from entry to ticketing to boarding, as well as leading to the exit.

Certain exterior walls will be designed for easy disassembly, to allow for future expansion in the ticketing areas as well as the gate areas. There will be two jet bridges.

Image
DSCN5945 by candleshoe, on Flickr

Image
DSCN5943 by candleshoe, on Flickr

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2100
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:08 am

That looks really nice. I think it'll make the statement they're looking for.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Postby NovakOmaha » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:18 am

I'm a bit confused. Are they going to have sky bridges like Eppley has or just covered walkways? The article wasn't specific. Other than that, very nice. Too bad they are delaying the extension of the runway. As I understand it that is the reason for the lack of Florida service.


I think it's amazing that GRI served more people in December than in a whole year a while ago.

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Postby Brad » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:29 am

NovakOmaha wrote:Too bad they are delaying the extension of the runway.  As I understand it that is the reason for the lack of Florida service.


Really? Its 9000' which is larger than 2 of Eppley's three runways. I assumed it was already as big as it is because it shares it with the national guard.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Candleshoe
Human Relations
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE

Re: G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Postby Candleshoe » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:35 pm

FAA funding has been approved. Dirt work begins in October.

User avatar
gisbuxfan
Library Board
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:12 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE
Contact:

Re: G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Postby gisbuxfan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Candleshoe wrote:FAA funding has been approved. Dirt work begins in October.


The Independent just reannounced that this project will be starting soon. One line from the article really grabbed my attention. "Ten years ago, the annual passenger total was 6,200. Now it’s a record high of 57,000." That is quite the increase in traffic!

http://www.theindependent.com/news/local/airport-demolition-to-begin-soon/article_09464b8c-5a66-11e4-b3a6-bb804f119cf6.html

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Postby NovakOmaha » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:47 am

For reasons passing understanding I flew into the Peoria Airport a while ago. I was thinking about the new GI airport last night. Peoria has flights to Chicago, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Detroit, Denver, Dallas, Orlando, Phoenix, Punta Gorda and St. Petersburg. Now I know that GRI probably wouldn't draw that much service although Orlando, Phoenix, Punta Gorda & St. Pete are Allegiant cities, but think about the following:

GRI could draw United to Chicago & Denver, American to Dallas, Delta to Minneapolis and maybe Atlanta and Allegiant to Phoenix, Las Vegas and Orlando. It may take a lot of doing and years to complete but with the right airport board & management having a can do attitude one could make the case for central Nebraska demand for the service. Metro Peoria has around 375,000 population so it's a lot bigger than central Nebraska but a couple of flights a day to Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver and Dallas make a lot of sense for GRI. I know it would take those seats away from Omaha and Lincoln but with the area of Grand Island, Hastings, York and Kearney and all the growth, especially of Grand Island, it sure seems to be doable.

Just saying.

Candleshoe
Human Relations
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE

Re: G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Postby Candleshoe » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:36 am

NovakOmaha wrote:For reasons passing understanding I flew into the Peoria Airport a while ago.  I was thinking about the new GI airport last night.  Peoria has flights to Chicago, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Detroit, Denver, Dallas, Orlando, Phoenix, Punta Gorda and St. Petersburg.  Now I know that GRI probably wouldn't draw that much service although Orlando, Phoenix, Punta Gorda & St. Pete are Allegiant cities, but think about the following:

GRI could draw United to Chicago & Denver, American to Dallas, Delta to Minneapolis and maybe Atlanta and Allegiant to Phoenix, Las Vegas and Orlando.  It may take a lot of doing and years to complete but with the right airport board & management having a can do attitude one could make the case for central Nebraska demand for the service.  Metro Peoria has around 375,000 population so it's a lot bigger than central Nebraska but a couple of flights a day to Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver and Dallas make a lot of sense for GRI.  I know it would take those seats away from Omaha and Lincoln but with the area of Grand Island, Hastings, York and Kearney and all the growth, especially of Grand Island, it sure seems to be doable.

Just saying.


It would probably take Kearney giving up it's passenger service for those destinations to ever be considered. Right now, GRI and EAR are both EAS airports with Kearney getting Denver flights via Great Lakes. Great Lakes has been having a miserable time getting planes in the air this past year because of the new pilot hour rules costing them to lose a bunch of their veterans to bigger airlines. I've known a couple of cases where folks I knew got the word that their morning flights were cancelled and they had to hustle to Lincoln to get their Denver connection. Without Kearney involved, that's an extra 10,000 to 12,000 butts in seats, just for starters. No saying how many Kearney area folks already prefer to head to Oma or Lincoln rather than take a turbo prop.

GRI has made it clear they'd like to shake the EAS handout and stand on their own and their track record with American appears to be favorable for that happening. If American is satisfied that a Denver, Minneapolis or Chicago route doesn't cannibalize the Dallas connection flights much, I think that could happen. Dont know if a United flight to Denver or Chicago would raid enough away from Americans Dallas flights to put those in jeopardy.

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1599
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Postby NovakOmaha » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:53 am

I just wonder if there is enough demand within 50 miles of GRI to make ORD, DEN, DFW & MSP service (with 70 seat jets) feasible. All four. How about ORD, DEN & DFW? I;ve got to believe ORD & DEN are no brainers alone. 70 seat jet minimum. I've asked this before but what is the population of the area of Grand Island, York, Hastings & Kearney area?

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Postby GetUrban » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:42 pm

NovakOmaha wrote:I just wonder if there is enough demand within 50 miles of GRI to make ORD, DEN, DFW & MSP service (with 70 seat jets) feasible.  All four.   How about ORD, DEN & DFW?  I;ve got to believe ORD & DEN are no brainers alone.  70 seat jet minimum.  I've asked this before but what is the population of the area of Grand Island, York, Hastings & Kearney area?


2013 est. (by county)
Grand Island (Hall County) = 61,500
Kearney (Buffalo County) = 48,500
Hastings (Adams County) = 32,000
York (York County) = 13,800
______________________________
155,800 approx.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

User avatar
gisbuxfan
Library Board
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:12 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE
Contact:

Re: G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Postby gisbuxfan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:23 pm

NovakOmaha wrote:GRI could draw United to Chicago & Denver, American to Dallas, Delta to Minneapolis and maybe Atlanta and Allegiant to Phoenix, Las Vegas and Orlando.  It may take a lot of doing and years to complete but with the right airport board & management having a can do attitude one could make the case for central Nebraska demand for the service.


This sounds great on paper, is it doable though? Personally, I fly delta 99% of the time. I am actually excited that LNK just picked up Delta flights to Atlanta. I'd love to see a Delta flight to Salt Lake City now. I think once this new terminal is in, GRI will get itself on the map and possibly pick up one or two more destinations. At least, I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Candleshoe
Human Relations
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE

Re: G.I looks to build new airport terminal

Postby Candleshoe » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:19 pm

GetUrban wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:I just wonder if there is enough demand within 50 miles of GRI to make ORD, DEN, DFW & MSP service (with 70 seat jets) feasible.  All four.   How about ORD, DEN & DFW?  I;ve got to believe ORD & DEN are no brainers alone.  70 seat jet minimum.  I've asked this before but what is the population of the area of Grand Island, York, Hastings & Kearney area?


2013 est. (by county)
Grand Island (Hall County) = 61,500
Kearney (Buffalo County)   = 48,500
Hastings (Adams County)  = 32,000
York (York County)            = 13,800
______________________________
                                       155,800 approx.


The 2013 Metropolitan and Micropolitan Area estimates
Grand Island Metro = 83.989
Kearney Micro = 54,441
Hastings Micro =31,610
York (York County) =13,800
_________________________
183,840

You could even argue that York really belongs to the Lincoln market for all practical purposes and you could add Holdrege and Lexington to the Tri Cities market.
Tri Cities combined metro & micro areas = 170,040
Lexington Micropolitan area = 26,179
Holdrege (Phelps County) = 9,213
____________________________________________
205,432


Return to “Nebraska and Iowa”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests