Lincoln City Council Candidates

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

almighty_tuna
City Council

Lincoln City Council Candidates

Post by almighty_tuna »

LJS wrote:Roger Yant promises that if he's elected to the Lincoln City Council, he will try to stop the biggest public works project in the city's history: Antelope Valley.

The Lincoln native doesn't believe the majority of Lincoln residents support the $240 million flood control, transportation and urban renewal project. In fact, he said he doesn't "know a soul" who is in favor of the massive plan.

"Lincoln is spending more money than they've got," he said. "In my opinion they're trying to be Omaha, New York, Denver — and we're not those cities. They keep coming up with these grand ideas and have to raise taxes to do it."

He also opposes the city's plunging forward toward construction of a multi-use arena, which could cost more than $50 million, and the 48th and O widening and revitalization project. He calls the projects a "waste of money," saying the Devaney Center and Pershing Center are adequate, if they were better utilized.

"I'm progressive about wanting Lincoln to grow but I wouldn't vote to spend Lincoln into obscurity and taxpayers into debt so that we can say we built these things," said Yant, 58, a registered Republican. "I've watched Lincoln grow and I think we need to slow down a bit."(HOLY COW)

He calls himself a fiscal conservative who wants to keep Lincoln viable, financially stable with low tax rates and a friendly business atmosphere. He would like to see property taxes frozen or rolled back.

The small business owner thinks the current council listens to big business more than average Joes and neighborhood associations.

He owns a small publishing company, a local business magazine called "Buy Lincoln," and Blue Moon Dating Service.

In 1986, he ran for governor to raise his pet issues, but this time he's in it to win.

"This is my city, my town," he said. "I've been all over and I love coming back to Lincoln."
If this guy made it to the city council, he would take Lincoln back to the stone age. I couldn't believe my eyes as I read this. Know your candidates when you vote - Omaha needs these people like a collective hole in the head.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

This guy is a joke, even to Lincoln. He tried running for governor in 86? Please, this guy will never make it in (assuming people really do know who they are voting for :-))
DTO Luv
City Council

Re: Lincoln City Council Candidates

Post by DTO Luv »

almighty_tuna wrote:
"In my opinion they're trying to be Omaha, New York, Denver
Yay we're up there with NYC. :P I hope he doesn't get elected. When those Omaha Lincoln metro area mergers start coming up I'd hate to see this guy get in the way. What is the Antelope Valley project? Heard of it but can't recall wht it is.
DTO
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! Things are getting stirred up in Dog Patch.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Here's the link to the project. Take a look at the pictures - what they've done with Y Street looks really good, hopefully indicative of the rest of the project.

http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/pworks/a ... /index.htm

In a nutshell the Antelope Valley project does two things:

- Open up Antelope Creek. Previously it was contained in underground viaducts. The new open waterway will require bridges for M, N, O, P and Q streets (i think that's all) with pathways, art and small ampitheatre along the creek. Think urban linear park.

-Create a new roadway around Downtown Lincoln. The Antelope Valley Parkway will be 6 lanes, replacing 19th street beginning at K Street heading north towards the Fairgrounds. That will intersect at an elevated intersection with a new roadway coming east from 10th street. The Parkway will head northeast under the 27th st overpass and, for now, end at Hwy6 and 33rd Street. Also, 16th and 17th streets will become 2-way streets. The goal is to take traffic off 16th and 17th and put onto the new Parkway so they will be more pedestrian friendly for the University and be less of a barrier.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

projectman wrote:Things are getting stirred up in Dog Patch.
What?!?!
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I was referring to Roger Yant's comments about Lincoln trying to be big.