Crofton

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Crofton

Post by NovakOmaha »

In 1998 my wife was pregnant with our first child and I told her that soon we would not be able to just get in the car & go.  Since she wasn't from Nebraska and we lived in Omaha and were typical, her view of Nebraska was Omaha and I-80 between Omaha & Lincoln.  I said I wanted to show her that Nebraska wasn't just concrete & flat land.  I planned a trip to northeast Nebraska over the Labor Day weekend.  

We left Omaha & went to Pierce, Nebraska where there is a bed & breakfast near a vinyard whose name escapes me.  We met the owners of the winery & they gave us a tour & a tasting.  The b&b was new and the owners went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

The next day we drove to Ash Fall State Park.  It is an amazing place.  We then drove to Crofton and the Argo.  The Argo is very cool.  It is a b&b but not a converted house, as many are.  We met the owners & they showed us around.  They have done an outstanding job of restoration and I'm sure today it's even better.  We happened to be in Crofton for the Labor Day Weekend Celebration, a parade, street festival, etc.  The people were friendly and again were happy to see non locals.  

The next day we drove to Yankton & into South Dakota where we drove to Sioux Falls.  It's a nice city but I don't think my wife was thrilled to walk around the falls.  (Never plan a weekend with a pregnant woman without consulting her at length)  From Sioux Falls we took I29 back to Omaha.  A really nice weekend.

If you get a chance, take a trip to northeast Nebraska.  It's actually hilly and a nice area for a trip.  Over & over the locals were happy to see us and really made us feel welcome.

Here's the OWH story about the Argo.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130108/M ... ll-a-jewel
Coyote
City Council

Re: Crofton

Post by Coyote »

Gearing up for the 2022 Crofton Dam Race

News Channel Nebraska
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Re: Crofton

Post by NovakOmaha »