Nebraska's top 10 Attractions

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Nebraska's top 10 Attractions

Post by Coyote »

Top 10 Nebraska attractions and events
Lincoln Journal Star wrote:The Nebraska Tourism Commission named the Top 10 distinctive attractions and events in the state.

No. 10 Chimney Rock
No. 9 Nebraska Capitol
No. 8 Sandhill cranes
No. 7 Strategic Air & Space Museum
No. 6 Scotts Bluff National Monument
No. 5 Sandhills
No. 4 Nebraska Cornhusker football
No. 3 Omaha's Old Market
No. 2 College World Series
No. 1 Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium
Brad
City Council

Re: Nebraska's top 10 Attractions

Post by Brad »

I would scratch a couple off the list of places I would suggest people to go.

These both could be included in #5 "Sandhills" but I think that's too generic. There is way too much to see out there to lump it all together.
I would replace #4 with a Canoe Trip down the Nioabrara River and a stop Smith Falls State Park
I would replace #9 with a trip to the Nebraska National Forest and then a float down the Middle Loup River or the Dismial River.

I have never been to #6 so I am not sure about that.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

While those are good suggestions, they certainly shouldn't replace #4 and #9. Maybe lump some of the Omaha attractions together as you can see the zoo and Old Market on the same trip!

I have had a handful of people out here in DC tell me they would love to experience the game day atmosphere of Husker football. As a season ticket holder, I feel it is a great experience.

Also, as a capitol enthusiast, I think the Nebraska state capitol is truly unique. I have been to 38 state capitols and would rank ours in the top 5 or so. It is beautiful and open to the public, even the dome!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

My opinion of NU football may be different if I ever sat in the club seats, but for me its just way too crowded. Its a been there don that, no hurry to go back.

I should probably go back to the state capitol as an adult and not a teenager. May be I would appreciate it more.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:I should probably go back to the state capitol as an adult and not a teenager.  May be I would appreciate it more.
You could go back as a teenager? I'd pay your way to see that. :yes:
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I'd definitely keep the Nebraska State Capitol building in the top 10. It's right up there with the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings, architecturally speaking.

Maybe they should be more specific on the sandhills and say a trip across on Highway 2. Going across the sandhills really changes your perception of Nebraska, especially compared to going across on I-80.

Big 10 Football is amazing, but not really unique to Nebraska. We need to work harder on creating other attractions if that is really in the top 10.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

We should do an eOmahaForums Top 10 Nebraska attractions thread where everyone lists their Top 10 in the state. Would probably be really Omaha-centric, but could be fun.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

What?! The Archway didn't make the list?! :shock: *sarcasm
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:We should do an eOmahaForums Top 10 Nebraska attractions thread where everyone lists their Top 10 in the state.  Would probably be really Omaha-centric, but could be fun.
Already have that:
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9390" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;