Syracuse grain-handling complex

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Syracuse grain-handling complex

Post by Brad »

Big grain unit-train complex planned for Syracuse

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-r ... 581de.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ALGIS J. LAUKAITIS / Lincoln Journal Star wrote:A unit-train shipping complex with capacity to store almost 2 million bushels of grain is planned for Syracuse in Otoe County.
ALGIS J. LAUKAITIS / Lincoln Journal Star wrote:The grain-handling complex, which would include a 9,000-foot rail loop for loading unit trains, has access to the Arbor Rail Line, owned by the Omaha Public Power District. The short line runs from Nebraska City to Lincoln and offers access to either Union Pacific or BNSF Railway. OPPD uses the line mainly for coal shipments to its power plant south of Nebraska City.
I would like to add that the line does NOT currently have any coal shipemnts on it. Its currently used for car storage and is out of service towards the Lincoln end. That said, its great to see them use this old line again.

Now they need to build a similar grain complex near Pilger and re open the CNW Cowboy Line! Pilger's old facility was destroyed during the tornado.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Syracuse grain-handling complex

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Big grain unit-train complex planned for Syracuse

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-r ... 581de.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ALGIS J. LAUKAITIS / Lincoln Journal Star wrote:A unit-train shipping complex with capacity to store almost 2 million bushels of grain is planned for Syracuse in Otoe County.
ALGIS J. LAUKAITIS / Lincoln Journal Star wrote:The grain-handling complex, which would include a 9,000-foot rail loop for loading unit trains, has access to the Arbor Rail Line, owned by the Omaha Public Power District. The short line runs from Nebraska City to Lincoln and offers access to either Union Pacific or BNSF Railway. OPPD uses the line mainly for coal shipments to its power plant south of Nebraska City.
I would like to add that the line does NOT currently have any coal shipemnts on it.  Its currently used for car storage and is out of service towards the Lincoln end.  That said, its great to see them use this old line again.

Now they need to build a similar grain complex near Pilger and re open the CNW Cowboy Line!  Pilger's old facility was destroyed during the tornado.
I now work with a couple of people that live in and near Pilger. The grain COOP that had he facilities in Pilger have plans to rebuild what they had there. In fact some of the rebuild is supposed to be started.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Bet it will look something like this CVA facility with an Oakland NE address that is right off Hwy 77 between Oakland and Lyons. Load Unit trains here and I believe there on site storage is somewhere between 4 and 5 Million bushels.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yeah, that would be my guess too. That's fairly typical anymore. Some of the bigger facilities even have a bridge up and over the tracks so the trucks can enter even when the train is at the facility.

Threre have been a few stories lately of old abandoned or at least mothballed railroad lines being re-opened for facilities like this. That's why I wish Pilger would build something like this and re-build the abandoned CNW Cowboy Line.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Too bad all the rail capacity is being used for petroleum shipments right now.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Some of the bigger facilities even have a bridge up and over the tracks so the trucks can enter even when the train is at the facility..
Looks like the one at Lyons has that bridge:

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Yeah, that would be my guess too.  That's fairly typical anymore.  Some of the bigger facilities even have a bridge up and over the tracks so the trucks can enter even when the train is at the facility.

Threre have been a few stories lately of old abandoned or at least mothballed railroad lines being re-opened for facilities like this.  That's why I wish Pilger would build something like this and re-build the abandoned CNW Cowboy Line.

The one in the capture from google has the bridge like you mentioned. The storage looks a lot smaller in the capture than reality
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought there was a separate thread for the Arbor Line, a Rail Line from Lincoln to Nebraska City, owned by OPPD. The line will be handling Coal Trains from Lincoln to Nebraska City again, starting in January. Track work has been going on for weeks now and a geometry train ran across the line today. This line could be a great economic development tool for any of the small towns along the line.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

I live very close to that line. Thankfully I’m a railroad brat.