Kearney Rumor Mill

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Jeffg78
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Kearney Rumor Mill

Post by Jeffg78 »

Still hoping for a IHOP and I would hope that rumor would come true. Copper mill (started in Mccook ,NE )has built a new one via younes hotel area as well as a Angus steakhouse they are supposed to open this month or early next month in Kearney.
Jeffg78
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jeffg78 »

There is a sushi steakhouse going in the old USA steakhouse buffet building . The older best western near BK south side is gone and the boarders is gone a new building is being put up to the right or Orscheln's . 4 business building , rumors even though it has been confirmed to me that Firehouse Subs and a Hibachi place will be going in . Rumors of two others Dunkin Donuts other not known . The old complete nutrition moved out of its building over toward Buffalo Wild Wings , US cellular ,over over there as well along with a new hair cut place , there is still 2 spaces left to fill in that building by Buffalo Wild Wings . Starbucks retook the now old complete nutrition building back as they were in it prior to complete nutrition . There is a new building by Erbert and gerberts sub place , Verizon and one other place there is a new 4 business to the right of that that has built for 2 months that is still empty .(about 8 spaces to fill after all is built . Kearney is growing . Walmart remodeled other than that that is about it other than the new taco johns over by Applebee's . The coppermill , angus steak and shake and the wine place across from Younes conference center are now all open as well as a newer hotel by there as well names candle wood .
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Thanks, Jeffg78. I'm in Kearney each month for a few days for work, and I appreciate knowing what is new.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

And that's a wrap...

The Kearney K-Mart will close this December, following the Summer closing of the Hastings store and the earlier GI store closing.

Scottsbluff will be losing their K-Mart as well.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Wowzers..

K-Marts closing everywhere. Affirmation, I guess, of what we already knew- Walmart has taken over.. Unfortunately...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Wowzers..

K-Marts closing everywhere. Affirmation, I guess, of what we already knew- Walmart has taken over.. Unfortunately...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Everything has it's cycle. Some day the Walmarts will all be closing. Who know if it will be in our life time but it will happen.

Was in a museum a while back and looking at a mock up of an old time general store. I said that someday everyone will be looking at a mock up of a Walmart like this setup was. It sparked an interesting discussion for sure but all agreed that it would happen.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Or maybe Walmart will be the lone retail survivor of the 'franchise wars'... along with Taco Bell.

[youtube][/youtube]
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:Or maybe Walmart will be the lone retail survivor of the 'franchise wars'... along with Taco Bell.

[youtube][/youtube]

Ouch
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
Stargazer wrote:Or maybe Walmart will be the lone retail survivor of the 'franchise wars'... along with Taco Bell.

[youtube][/youtube]

Ouch
Ouch X 2...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

In a quick transition, the Kearney K-Mart building will be redeveloped and look for the first tenant to be Petsmart.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

http://journalstar.com/business/local/a ... 92c7c.html
Alaska-based PenAir announced Monday that it has filed to reorganize under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

As part of its reorganization plan, PenAir said it plans to shut down its Denver and Portland, Oregon hub operations.

From Denver, PenAir provides air service to Kearney, North Platte and Scottsbluff through the federal Essential Air Service program.

The company said it is filing a request with the Department of Transportation to end service on those routes and others out of its Denver and Portland hubs
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Flights from Kearney to Denver to resume September 5.

http://www.1011now.com/content/news/Kea ... 91781.html
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Padre wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:38 pm Flights from Kearney to Denver to resume September 5.

Thats big news! After the last one fell thru I wasn't sure if I'd see that offering again. Honestly, I was hoping it was going to be something GRI picked up. Good for Kearney!
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

gisbuxfan wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:12 pm
Padre wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:38 pm Flights from Kearney to Denver to resume September 5.

Thats big news! After the last one fell thru I wasn't sure if I'd see that offering again. Honestly, I was hoping it was going to be something GRI picked up. Good for Kearney!
Agreed. Excellent for Kearney :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Yeah, good for Kearney but success breeds success and I assumed GRI might add DEN flights. Of course I'm also hoping GRI gets DEN, ORD, MSP and DFW, in addition to whatever Allegiant brings. IF, and that's a big IF, GRI is able at some point to get the four destinations I mentioned it would position GRI to be THE airport for central Nebraska and growth in frequencies and larger planes could follow, ultimately putting GRI in the position to topple OMA as Nebraska's airport. Possible flights to London, Paris, Tokyo...you know, next step and all.

Mark my words...it'll happen. 60-90 days
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

NovakOmaha wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Yeah, good for Kearney but success breeds success and I assumed GRI might add DEN flights. Of course I'm also hoping GRI gets DEN, ORD, MSP and DFW, in addition to whatever Allegiant brings. IF, and that's a big IF, GRI is able at some point to get the four destinations I mentioned it would position GRI to be THE airport for central Nebraska and growth in frequencies and larger planes could follow, ultimately putting GRI in the position to topple OMA as Nebraska's airport. Possible flights to London, Paris, Tokyo...you know, next step and all.

I can definitely see Tokyo happening! :P
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

gisbuxfan wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:22 pm
NovakOmaha wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:04 pm

I can definitely see Tokyo happening! :P
Forget Tokyo.. I’m looking at you Sydney and Melbourne.. Australia that is :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Watched the Husker game at a new place in Kearney called Cunningham's on the Lake. Huge improvement from the normal offerings in town. Sports bar with a really solid beer selection and a really big patio overlooking a small lake(pond). They clearly spent some money on the place the patio even has a ton of overhead heaters, something that isn't even popular here in Omaha.

Images from their FB.

I left very impressed really nice atmosphere. Nice to have some new better options when visiting family.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I used to work in Kearney, and I know this new waterfront restaurant was much anticipated. It is also supposed to be a popular venue for private parties, receptions and other events.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Hilltop Mall officials are teasing reports of a new tenant in the old Herbergers anchor space. Pending lease negotiations...
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

KEARNEY, Neb. (KSNB) A new airline is doing a lot of business out of Kearney.

The city of Kearney Friday announced the 1,150 passengers flew out of the Kearney Regional Airport during the month of October. That's the highest number of passengers for October since 1994.

Sky West airlines, which is affiliated with United, began flying between Kearney and Denver in September.
Ryan j
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ryan j »

I heard Kearney is getting a Kohls
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

I heard Kearney is getting a Kohls
Rumors been floating around since Hebergers closed. The mall management said they had somebody already lined up to take their space and the announcement would be made soon (by soon, I don't know. He said this last Spring). So yeah, it's possible.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Candleshoe wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:50 am KEARNEY, Neb. (KSNB)
Sky West airlines, which is affiliated with United, began flying between Kearney and Denver in September.
Beginning this winter, Sky West will begin once a day flights to Chicago on 50 seat regional jets. The flights are being subsidized by the City of Kearney in the form of a guaranteed seat count per flight. The flights will arrive at an as yet unnamed Chicago airport around 4pm.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Between Kearney and Grand Island, there will be nonstop access to five locations. That’s pretty respectable for the area.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

Candleshoe wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:34 pm The flights will arrive at an as yet unnamed Chicago airport around 4pm.
O'Hare https://www.kearneyhub.com/news/local/a ... 34cd0.html
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Padre wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:06 pm Between Kearney and Grand Island, there will be nonstop access to five locations. That’s pretty respectable for the area.
I just checked BigRadius. Within 25 miles of Grand Island there are 85,000 people. Within 50 there are over 200,000 and within 75 there are over 300,000. I just don't get why there aren't flights to DEN, ORD, DFW & MSP, along with a smattering of Allegiant flights to PHX, LAS, MCO & whatever else. People love to hash out the old argument that there should be an airport between Omaha & Lincoln but my opinion is that there should have been and should be an airport between Kearney & Grand Island. I see no reason why such an airport couldn't handle over 250,000 people a year, possibly much more. I just looked at Great Falls, Montana. Barely the population as Kearney but about 350,000 passengers in 2018. Again, no reason why central Nebraska couldn't match that.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

NovakOmaha wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:37 pm
Padre wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:06 pm Between Kearney and Grand Island, there will be nonstop access to five locations. That’s pretty respectable for the area.
I just checked BigRadius. Within 25 miles of Grand Island there are 85,000 people. Within 50 there are over 200,000 and within 75 there are over 300,000. I just don't get why there aren't flights to DEN, ORD, DFW & MSP, along with a smattering of Allegiant flights to PHX, LAS, MCO & whatever else. People love to hash out the old argument that there should be an airport between Omaha & Lincoln but my opinion is that there should have been and should be an airport between Kearney & Grand Island. I see no reason why such an airport couldn't handle over 250,000 people a year, possibly much more. I just looked at Great Falls, Montana. Barely the population as Kearney but about 350,000 passengers in 2018. Again, no reason why central Nebraska couldn't match that.
Did you mean to say double the population of Kearney? Plus its immediate metro area is ~85k and is home to a large AFB. It is a bigger city that requires more flights. Small town don't typically need the flight capacity that the same population organized in a singular location does. Just the differences in economies between the two.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The problem with locating an airport between population centers is that it makes it incredibly expensive to travel to and from it, and/or time consuming, for almost all customers. Denver’s airport is now located in the sticks of the Great Plains probably 15 miles from downtown, versus 2 or 3 miles for the old Stapleton. However Denver now has light rail that now offers quick and inexpensive access from downtown. Locating a regional airport between Omaha and Lincoln (never, ever, ever going to happen) would mean a $75 or greater taxi fare one way, or probably $60 Uber fare from either downtown Omaha or downtown Lincoln. Locating a new airport between GI and Kearney would result in similar financial hardship to customers. Not to mention the hardship of paying for land acquisition, construction, and subsidizing the pay of employees who could not otherwise afford to spend $20 each shift to travel to and from work.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

NovakOmaha wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:37 pm People love to hash out the old argument that there should be an airport between Omaha & Lincoln but my opinion is that there should have been and should be an airport between Kearney & Grand Island. I see no reason why such an airport couldn't handle over 250,000 people a year, possibly much more.
Back in the late 80's or early 90's there was a study done with the FAA's blessing of a Tri Cities centralized airport. Hastings declined and threw their support behind keeping GRI where it is. Kearney said they would support the idea, only if the airport was in Buffalo County. The FAA concluded that no such airport would be feasible because of the bird migration flyway between Grand Island and Kearney, so no new airport will (theoretically) ever be built between the two cities.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Candleshoe wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:55 am
NovakOmaha wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:37 pm People love to hash out the old argument that there should be an airport between Omaha & Lincoln but my opinion is that there should have been and should be an airport between Kearney & Grand Island. I see no reason why such an airport couldn't handle over 250,000 people a year, possibly much more.
Back in the late 80's or early 90's there was a study done with the FAA's blessing of a Tri Cities centralized airport. Hastings declined and threw their support behind keeping GRI where it is. Kearney said they would support the idea, only if the airport was in Buffalo County. The FAA concluded that no such airport would be feasible because of the bird migration flyway between Grand Island and Kearney, so no new airport will (theoretically) ever be built between the two cities.
Interesting! The arguments between the cities and counties i expected, but I had not thought about bird migration. Should have though, there’s an awful lot going on in that corridor.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

nativeomahan wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:20 am The problem with locating an airport between population centers is that it makes it incredibly expensive to travel to and from it, and/or time consuming, for almost all customers. Denver’s airport is now located in the sticks of the Great Plains probably 15 miles from downtown, versus 2 or 3 miles for the old Stapleton. However Denver now has light rail that now offers quick and inexpensive access from downtown. Locating a regional airport between Omaha and Lincoln (never, ever, ever going to happen) would mean a $75 or greater taxi fare one way, or probably $60 Uber fare from either downtown Omaha or downtown Lincoln. Locating a new airport between GI and Kearney would result in similar financial hardship to customers. Not to mention the hardship of paying for land acquisition, construction, and subsidizing the pay of employees who could not otherwise afford to spend $20 each shift to travel to and from work.
Let's take it one at a time...

Kansas City's airport is pretty far from downtown KC, not to mention from Overland Park and such, yet It thrives.
Denver's airport is far away for sure but thrives. Yes, there is light rail but what percentage takes it vs. drive?
Locating an airport between Omaha and Lincoln, and I agree it won't ever happen, would have spurred growth nearby including transit opportunities. I would ask what percentage of such an airport's traffic would come from downtown vs. the western suburbs in Omaha and the eastern population of Lincoln. An airport between Omaha and Lincoln would be miles closer than KCI or Denver airports.
With regard to financial hardships let's remember that a regional airport has the capacity to have more non stops, more frequencies and more destinations than having separate airports dividing the pie. Thus you'd probably offset the financial hardships with lower fares and better choices.
Land acquisition and construction is typically 80% federal and other grants with local governments or airport authorities financing with no tax dollars involved.
As to subsidizing the pay of employees, what about those who commute between Omaha and Lincoln?
I'd submit that it makes more economic sense to have one airport serving Omaha and Lincoln and one for the GRI-KEA area, however remote the odds.
On the other hand, OMA draws from Nebraska, western Iowa, Southern South Dakota and parts of Missouri and Kansas, so Omaha and Lincoln aren't the only considerations.
In any event, the two airports proposed aren't going to happen.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

KC built KCI in the 1970s, as memory serves, because the old municipal downtown airport with one principal runway was no longer cutting the mustard. Like Eppley it sits on a river bottom, but unlike Eppley it lies next to two rivers (the Kansas and Missouri rivers), and had nowhere to grow. They had no choice but to go to plowed ground. Nevertheless it was a very controversial decision, because having an airport so close to downtown is a feather in any city’s cap.
Denver was in much the same predicament. Though Stapleton had a larger footprint than the old KC airport, it was hemmed in by the city in all directions, and could not grow to accommodate anticipated increased air traffic. I remember taking a $4 taxi from a downtown Denver hotel to Stapleton back in the 1970s. Those days ain’t coming back.
DIA was very controversial when proposed, and for a number of years following its opening. Who remembers the luggage routing fiascos of the early days? But any of us old timers flying into Denver now simply must look in amazement at how the city is quickly reaching out to the edges of the airport property. Who would have thought it would happen so quickly? But Denver is a rapidly growing metro area, and any doubts as to the necessity to relocate Stapleton have long since been put to rest. Plus, the old Stapleton property was worth BILLIONS of dollars to developers, which helped offset the cost of relocation. The Eppley property would never fetch anything close to what the old Stapleton brought in.
An airport on the Platte and Elkhorn river bottoms is not closer to the middle of Omaha than KCI is to downtown KC. The airport lies at about milepost 11 or 12 on I-29. I-80 at 72nd Street is about at mile marker 449. The Platte River on I-80 is at mm 427. Most Omahans live further north than I-80, so add additional miles to the 22 miles between 72nd Street and the Platte River. Downtown Lincoln (and almost all of the rest of Lincoln) is 3 miles south of I-80 at mm 400. So there is about a 30 mile journey for many Lincoln residents to the Platte River. How much does a 25 or 30 mile tax ride cost? Or Uber? Now figure round trip costs.
I suspect that many if not most Omaha airport workers (janitors, baggage handlers, airplane cleaners, ticket counter agents, restaurant workers, news stand employees and the like) live within 5 or 10 miles of their employment. The few I personally know do. The relatively low pay levels for those workers would not justify the expense of a longer commute.
Hastings residents would have no interests in relocating the GI airport further west than it already is, and neither would the 55,000 or so GI residents. The airport is about 10 minutes from downtown GI now, which makes for a quick jaunt.
This is all rather like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, because no rationally thinking person would predict that the existing GI, Lincoln and Omaha airports would all be relocated in the next 50 years.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

With a $9 million terminal expansion project nearing a start date and an expected 30,000 passenger boardings in 2022, this news could shut down all commercial passenger service in Kearney, along with several other Midwest cities.

https://www.ksnblocal4.com/2022/03/11/s ... -airports/
LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - In a filing with the U.S. Department of Transportation, Skywest Airlines announced plans to terminate its essential air service to 29 airports, including three in Nebraska. The specific airports include the North Platte Regional Airport, the Western-Nebraska Scottsbluff Regional Airport, and the Kearney Regional Airport.

Skywest issued a 90-day termination notice that said it intends to eliminate EAS on or before June 10, 2022.

The Utah-based airline, which operates under the United Airlines flag, is the only airline currently offering daily commercial flights to Denver in those three Nebraska cities.

Skywest is blaming pilot shortages.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Candleshoe wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:22 am With a $9 million terminal expansion project nearing a start date and an expected 30,000 passenger boardings in 2022, this news could shut down all commercial passenger service in Kearney, along with several other Midwest cities.

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - In a filing with the U.S. Department of Transportation, Skywest Airlines announced plans to terminate its essential air service to 29 airports, including three in Nebraska. The specific airports include the North Platte Regional Airport, the Western-Nebraska Scottsbluff Regional Airport, and the Kearney Regional Airport.

Skywest issued a 90-day termination notice that said it intends to eliminate EAS on or before June 10, 2022.

The Utah-based airline, which operates under the United Airlines flag, is the only airline currently offering daily commercial flights to Denver in those three Nebraska cities.

This is certainly interesting. If I'm reading right, basically all travellers for western Nebraska will need to choose between GI or driving to Lincoln.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I don't know if I've said this before or not but my own opinion is that Grand Island and Kearney should have abandoned their respective airports and built one between them a long time ago. That area has about 200,000 people. A centrally located airport serving the whole region, with flights to Chicago, Denver and/or Minneapolis, with Allegiant adding flights to Phoenix, Las Vegas & Orlando (maybe others), seems to me to make sense. There are other airports around the country in areas of similar size. I'd love to hear Nuke's opinion.

I sincerely believe the above makes more sense than the idea of an airport between Omaha and Lincoln.

Of course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

NovakOmaha wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:16 pm I don't know if I've said this before or not but my own opinion is that Grand Island and Kearney should have abandoned their respective airports and built one between them a long time ago. That area has about 200,000 people. A centrally located airport serving the whole region, with flights to Chicago, Denver and/or Minneapolis, with Allegiant adding flights to Phoenix, Las Vegas & Orlando (maybe others), seems to me to make sense. There are other airports around the country in areas of similar size with more service than Grand Island. I'd love to hear Nuke's opinion.

I sincerely believe the above makes more sense than the idea of an airport between Omaha and Lincoln.

Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

NovakOmaha wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:17 pm
NovakOmaha wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:16 pm I don't know if I've said this before or not but my own opinion is that Grand Island and Kearney should have abandoned their respective airports and built one between them a long time ago. That area has about 200,000 people. A centrally located airport serving the whole region, with flights to Chicago, Denver and/or Minneapolis, with Allegiant adding flights to Phoenix, Las Vegas & Orlando (maybe others), seems to me to make sense. There are other airports around the country in areas of similar size with more service than Grand Island. I'd love to hear Nuke's opinion.

That was attempted in the 80's. The FAA and EPA approved a site around Alda, about six miles or so west of GI around the old Cornhusker Ordnance Plant. Hastings and Grand Island got on board. Kearney said if it wasn't in Buffalo County they weren't interested.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Louie wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:49 pm
Candleshoe wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:22 am With a $9 million terminal expansion project nearing a start date and an expected 30,000 passenger boardings in 2022, this news could shut down all commercial passenger service in Kearney, along with several other Midwest cities.

This is certainly interesting. If I'm reading right, basically all travellers for western Nebraska will need to choose between GI or driving to Lincoln.
Those in Scottsbluff could go through Cheyenne.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Padre wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:30 pm

Those in Scottsbluff could go through Cheyenne.
Cheyenne only has regional jet service to Denver. It would be easier and cheaper to drive to Denver for folks from the Scottsbluff area.