Kearney Rumor Mill

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Candleshoe
Human Relations

Kearney Rumor Mill

Post by Candleshoe »

Just learned that Carlos O'Kellys in Kearney closed. Their lease was up and a remodel wasn't going to be manageable, economically.

Grand Island and Lincoln stores are not affected.

For what it's worth, they couldn't have possibly been harder to get to.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Kearney Rumor Mill

Post by skinzfan23 »

Carlos O'Kellys has downsized a lot recently. Grand Island and Lincoln are the only remaining NE locations left. At one time there were 3-4 in the Omaha market too, but all have since closed.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Candleshoe wrote:Just learned that Carlos O'Kellys in Kearney closed. Their lease was up and a remodel wasn't going to be manageable, economically.

Grand Island and Lincoln stores are not affected.

For what it's worth, they couldn't have possibly been harder to get to.
The food speaks more than the location, mediocre Mexican food at best, look at where skeeters barn is located and that place is doing fine.
Suit Up
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

bbtran72 wrote:
The food speaks more than the location, mediocre Mexican food at best, look at where skeeters barn is located and that place is doing fine.
I never really saw the attraction to their food in the first place, yet I know some folks who have eaten there once a week forever. It seemed rather ordinary. Maybe that's the niche... Mexican without the kick.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Their food has gone downhill a lot recently and the prices up. My wife is from Marion, IA where the original Carlos is located and it used to be good, but we went last winter and the food was just ok, but the prices were $12-15 for the average food. Like I say all the time, part of the experience for Mexican food is cheap, generous portions, unless it is a gourmet Mexican restaurant, which most places (including Carlos) is not. Their food shouldn't be more than $10 for an entrée.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Kearney, Scottsbluff and North Platte airports are hoping to land Aerodynamics as their new EAS airline to Denver. Pending DOT approval in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.kearneyhub.com/news/local/ae ... 2ab08.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aerodynamics, which currently operates only charter flights and indirect scheduled service through other regional airlines, also hopes that its planes and amenities will attract passengers to Kearney. The airline will operate 50-seat Embraer regional jets with an enclosed lavatory and overhead baggage. Each flight also will have an attendant on board, Beale said.

Planes will be housed at the airports in Kearney, North Platte and Scottsbluff. This will allow the airline to be flexible and potentially offer flights outside the scheduled two flights on weekdays and one flight on Saturdays and Sundays, Beale said.

“We’re going to base an aircraft in Kearney and the other two cities, and that airplane will be that city’s airplane,” Beale said. “This way, we’ll have the capacity to do three flights a day on Mondays, for example, which is traditionally a busier travel day. Or, we could do a quick charter flight in the evening. We’ll have a lot of capacity to do a lot of things with the aircraft or expand the routes.”
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Candleshoe wrote:Kearney, Scottsbluff and North Platte airports are hoping to land Aerodynamics as their new EAS airline to Denver. Pending DOT approval in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.kearneyhub.com/news/local/ae ... 2ab08.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aerodynamics, which currently operates only charter flights and indirect scheduled service through other regional airlines, also hopes that its planes and amenities will attract passengers to Kearney. The airline will operate 50-seat Embraer regional jets with an enclosed lavatory and overhead baggage. Each flight also will have an attendant on board, Beale said.

Planes will be housed at the airports in Kearney, North Platte and Scottsbluff. This will allow the airline to be flexible and potentially offer flights outside the scheduled two flights on weekdays and one flight on Saturdays and Sundays, Beale said.

“We’re going to base an aircraft in Kearney and the other two cities, and that airplane will be that city’s airplane,” Beale said. “This way, we’ll have the capacity to do three flights a day on Mondays, for example, which is traditionally a busier travel day. Or, we could do a quick charter flight in the evening. We’ll have a lot of capacity to do a lot of things with the aircraft or expand the routes.”
I'm so glad Embraer opted for enclosed lavatories. Those open lavatories are SO embarrassing.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

And now, USA Steak Buffet is closing in Kearney. GI location not affected.

Owner says he sold the building, but no other details yet.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

And in a sudden reversal of fortunes :lol: Kearney is getting a Buffalo Wild Wings. In front of HyVee.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

What in gods name is USA Steak Buffet?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:What in gods name is USA Steak Buffet?
There was one in Lincoln I believe.

It's a shitty place to get a...well, what they call, a "steak".
No posts exist for this topic
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

There was definitely one on north 27th.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Louie wrote:There was definitely one on north 27th.
i remember that, it was on the corner of 27th & cornhusker, i THINK raising cane's is where it was use to be.
Suit Up
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bbtran72 wrote:
Louie wrote:There was definitely one on north 27th.
i remember that, it was on the corner of 27th & cornhusker, i THINK raising cane's is where it was use to be.

Don't remember what it was before but the business that was in the building that got torn down to make way for Canes was Lebeda Mattress Factory.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Word is that the Kearney Gap store will be closing within the next thirty days. High cost of sales based on too high percentage of sales at discounts.

Frugal college students I suppose...
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I always thought The Gap did well in Kearney (I think it couldve been better in GI). NTV also reported Hastings was closing their 39th Street location, but audio and video stores are a thing of the past.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The new construction just east of the Hampton Inn will be for an extended stay hotel and a small strip mall, which will have at least one bar and grill or full service restaurant and lounge. I was told that the Younes group, which pretty much has a lock on lodging in Central Nebraska, is constructing all of it. The restaurant/lounge will be put in because too many guests at these hotels have asked for a bar and nice restaurant they can walk to, and none currently exist, except for the one inside the Holiday Inn. Completion will be in 2016.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

http://www.nebraska.tv/story/29696620/j ... rt-numbers
Kearney, NE -

The report is in for July and the Kearney Airport numbers are not what the city had hoped. For the second straight year, July numbers have gone down.

The latest report shows 397 people flew out of Kearney in July; 2,587 people have flown out of the airport so far this year. At this time last year, Kearney had 5,700 passengers.

The air service has not been as reliable as the city would hope, with several flights canceled or delayed.

If 10,000 passengers fly out of the Kearney Airport in the year, the airport gets a million dollar grant.

When the tech company Xpanxion announced they were expanding in the city, air service was one of their concerns.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They might miss out on a $1m grant because they didn't reach 10k passengers? Do I hear free flights in December?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Coyote wrote:They might miss out on a $1m grant because they didn't reach 10k passengers? Do I hear free flights in December?
It's been done before... from the Kearney Hub, late November in 2009:
The airport has had 8,114 enplanements this year as of Nov. 1. It needs 1,886 more before Jan. 1 to qualify for $1 million in grant money from the federal government for airport improvements.

The airport and Otis Air Service offer 30-minute sky tours for $15 a person every Saturday and Sunday until Dec. 27. Weekday tours and special trips are available by appointment.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Wow only 2,587 so far this year, even if they do free flight or next to nothing they still need 7,313+ people to fly in under 4 months, not looking very good for kearney.
Suit Up
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

bbtran72 wrote:Wow only 2,587 so far this year, even if they do free flight or next to nothing they still need 7,313+ people to fly in under 4 months, not looking very good for kearney.
Yeah, that doesn't look good for them. Does Kearney still carry flights to Denver?
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

gisbuxfan wrote:
bbtran72 wrote:Wow only 2,587 so far this year, even if they do free flight or next to nothing they still need 7,313+ people to fly in under 4 months, not looking very good for kearney.
Yeah, that doesn't look good for them. Does Kearney still carry flights to Denver?
Yes, that's all they have is Denver, via Great Lakes. The problem is the airline. I don't know the rate of flight cancellations, but at one point last year it was likely two out of three, due to lack of pilots. Due to new regulations, commercial pilots needed a new higher number of hours before they could Captain a flight and Great Lakes lost a lot of veterans to the majors. Apparently they're still cancelling flights, but nowhere near as frequent as before, but that doesn't regain the trust of the folks who've already been burned.

They tried for new alternate carriers for their EAS funding contract, but nobody who submitted passed the FAA muster.

I suppose if they could come up with the money to guarantee a contract with somebody, maybe Frontier or at least a different United affiliate, and give up their EAS subsidy, they could make it fly, so to speak.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

That is too bad, if they don't make it and loose money will that mean they will pretty much flop? If that's the case Grand Island is going to have such a monopoly over the tri-city area.
Suit Up
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

bbtran72 wrote:That is too bad, if they don't make it and loose money will that mean they will pretty much flop? If that's the case Grand Island is going to have such a monopoly over the tri-city area.
I can't see them giving up. Too much pride. When the TriCities were talking about one central airport twenty some odd years ago, Kearney basically said if it wasn't placed in Buffalo County, they weren't interested. That's about the time that Hastings conceded their commercial air service, since GI is less than a half hour drive.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

1) Carlos O'Kelly's is turning into a Tex-Mex Margarita Bar place, according to the signs up on the front wall. Remodeling continues.

2) Something called Angus Burger Bar will open in the strip mall under construction next to Hampton Inn.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I had lunch the other day at Rita Cantina. Decent Tex-mex. There is no separate lunch menu, which I think is a mistake. Expect to pay $10-15 for most items. They have a daily happy hour.
I was told that the owner of the Kearney Old Chicago franchise is behind this place.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

nativeomahan wrote:I had lunch the other day at Rita Cantina. Decent Tex-mex. There is no separate lunch menu, which I think is a mistake. Expect to pay $10-15 for most items. They have a daily happy hour.
I was told that the owner of the Kearney Old Chicago franchise is behind this place.
That would be Jim Gardner. He started out with the Country Kitchens in Kearney and GI and then developed a bunch of niche restaurants over the years in Kearney before hitting gold with Whiskey Creek. He still holds the Old Chicago franchise in Kearney, but dropped it in GI after never really getting good management put together for that location. It's now Napoli's.
Jeffg78
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jeffg78 »

The Tex mex place is now closed .

A new taco johns is going in behind Applebee's as they have owned that property

Pepper Jax will go into the new development next to Buffalo Wild Wings , temp reconstruction for a drive thru has to happen first .

Olive Garden is a being eyed for the area catty corner of Apple Bees (within 2 years)

Walmart will close down and move further down near new exit and or turn into a SAMs Club

Home Depot or Lowes are possibilities as well.

Kohls is looking at the area as well.

IHOP is still rumored for USA steak buffet building .

There is 4 restaurants known to be coming to Kearney soon
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Welcome to eOmahaForums Jeff! Please keep us updated on what you know in the Tri-City area!
Jeffg78
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jeffg78 »

As soon as I find out more I will thanks .
swinquest
Home Owners Association

Post by swinquest »

Jeffg78 wrote:The Tex mex place is now closed .

Pepper Jax will go into the new development next to Buffalo Wild Wings , temp reconstruction for a drive thru has to happen first .

Olive Garden is a being eyed for the area catty corner of Apple Bees (within 2 years)

Walmart will close down and move further down near new exit and or turn into a SAMs Club

Sounds like a lot going on in my old hometown. Thanks for the updates!! I do not see Walmart transitioning in to a Sam's....too much of a presence in the city.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Jeffg78 wrote:The Tex mex place is now closed .

Great to hear that north kearney is getting all these restaurant, i went to Rita Cantana back in October and i was really disappointed. Most of their menu was over priced with small portion with the exception of their "street tacos" which was over priced but at least portion wise it was decent and filled you up. Their drinks were okay but their food are greasy like no other, for an example their nachos, i wish i took some pictures but i didn't that day.
Suit Up
Jeffg78
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jeffg78 »

I've just been told that either Walmart will either move or stay as is .But there is a Sam's Club coming
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

I'd be surprised to see WalMart leave their existing location at the intersection of "Main" and "Main". A south move would only make it inconvenient. It's already a Super Center, so no need to start from scratch.

A Sams seems like a stretch. From what I've understood, the Sams Club in GI had an underwhelming first few years and took a long time to establish traction. It's volume now is "good enough" to justify it's existence and I really wouldn't imagine they'd want to erode the customer base of the one already in the area. But then again... when you're talking WalMart, they do their own thing and who knows why?

Regarding Home Depot, I'm really kind of surprised there isn't one already in Kearney. Maybe they consider the tag team of Menards and Builders to be market saturation. I've seen Home Depots in markets as small as Sterling, Colorado, population around 15,000.

Kohls would be a huge get. They could make Herbergers pretty nervous.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

While GRI continues to grow in boardings, EAR is efforting to get a reliable air service provider for its EAS contract. Great Lakes has struggled to keep scheduled flights, resulting in a loss of confidence and a big decrease in boardings out of Kearney.

http://www.nebraska.tv/story/31442702/k ... d=12277346
Xtra
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Xtra »

Heard Everest Fusion, Indian and Nepalese cuisine is coming in the place where Mongolian Grill used to be. In the same mall with Jersey bar. It's a great addition to Kearney. Does anyone know when it will be opening?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Xtra wrote:Heard Everest Fusion, Indian and Nepalese cuisine is coming in the place where Mongolian Grill used to be. In the same mall with Jersey bar. It's a great addition to Kearney. Does anyone know when it will be opening?
Where in Kearney is this location?
Xtra
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Xtra »

nativeomahan wrote:
Xtra wrote:Heard Everest Fusion, Indian and Nepalese cuisine is coming in the place where Mongolian Grill used to be. In the same mall with Jersey bar. It's a great addition to Kearney. Does anyone know when it will be opening?
Where in Kearney is this location?
5012 3rd Ave, behind Panera bread.
Jeffg78
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jeffg78 »

There is quite a bit being built in Kearney at the moment. The old Carlos o Kelleys took on a Tex mex restaurant that was owned by the person who owns whiskey creek . That went out of business in 4-6 months time as I stated above . There is now a Mexican resturaunt called EL Limon going in there they just have a temp banner over at this time . There is also a Mexican resturaunt going in in the strip mall by the donut place and stage coach area formally known as the Napalies . A new strip mall still being constructed right next to the new place for speed connect , there is no real word what is going into the ones by Buffalo Wild Wings . Pizza ranch is thought to go into the USA Steak Buffet building as the lease sign has been removed .

2 years from now there is supposed to be a SAM's Club ,Olive Garden and a few more things , but hard to tell with 8 spaces now being constructed or built or vacant .