Iowa Schools Start Date

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Iowa Schools Start Date

Post by skinzfan23 »

State move could mean Iowa schools will start later in summer
The Iowa Department of Education says it will stop granting automatic waivers to school districts seeking to start classes earlier in the summer.
Department director Brad Buck sent a letter Friday to state education leaders saying the change is effective immediately.

The announcement came shortly after Gov. Terry Branstad sent a letter to Buck asking that officials only grant a waiver if a school district demonstrates a "significant negative educational impact" of beginning classes on time, as required by law.
Districts must start school no earlier than the calendar week that includes Sept. 1. But nearly all of them obtain waivers allowing them to begin classes earlier.
Branstad's letter says starting earlier "unnecessarily interferes" with families' summer plans, seasonal hiring and the Iowa State Fair.
Here is my response to the last sentence: That thought is asinine. Interfering with summer plans and the state fair…give me a break. Last time I checked the state fair should not take precedence over education.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Re: Iowa Schools Start Date

Post by guitarguy »

That has got to be one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard. :shock:
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Just curious why that's an asinine comment? Schools still have to put in the requisite number of days of education, we'll just have to see how long it takes for the brain-dead followers to figure out it impacts family summer plans on the start side of summer.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

icejammer wrote:Just curious why that's an asinine comment?  Schools still have to put in the requisite number of days of education, we'll just have to see how long it takes for the brain-dead followers to figure out it impacts family summer plans on the start side of summer.
I was talking about the last statement that was made in regards to interfering with summer plans and the state fair. Who cares about the state fair? I know it is the single largest annual event in the state with nearly 1 million people attending each year, but I think education should come first and not have to compete with the fair.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The Iowa State Fair is primarily agriculture-related. Agriculture is obviously important in Iowa. (Nebraska too.) The state fair schedule is set to occur after county fairs, typically. There are only so many weeks available in the summer. Many fair exhibits and competitions are based on agriculture products raised or grown that year.

Why must school keep being scheduled earlier each year? ...especially when classes are often cancelled because it is too hot? As long as the minimum hours of instruction are met, who cares if it starts in September and ends in early June? It doesn't have to be an either-or situation...you can have your fair and the kids will still be fine.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

School hasn't been starting earlier and earlier. I grew up in Iowa and school always started around the same time that it did in Nebraska (around August 20-25) Now they are wanting schools to wait until after Labor Day which will push the start back to the first week in September. School used to get out either before Memorial Day or right after, but my wife teaches in Council Bluffs and this last year they got out around June 11-12. This year June 5th is the last scheduled day but they may go until June 10 depending on snow days.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

It depends on how far back you go. Prior to the 1980's it usually started the first week of September and lasted into the first week of June.
Recently, at least in the Omaha area, it's been creeping into mid-August. That seems earlier to me.

Anyway, arguing for an early September start date is not asinine, even if only so people can attend the Iowa State Fair. Calling it asinine is uncouth.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Ultimately it doesn't matter when school starts and stops because they have a set amount of hrs and days that they have to attain each year, but I still think using the state fair as a reason for starting earlier is ridiculous. To each there own though, but I know everyone I have shown this story to feels the same way as me.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

When I lived in NY I was surprised to find out they start in mid September and go to the third or fourth week of June! They looked at me like I was crazy telling them that back home we normally start the middle of August and finish late May.