Emerald Ash Borer - confirmed in Omaha

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater, Candleshoe

Coyote
City Council

Emerald Ash Borer - confirmed in Omaha

Postby Coyote » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:16 pm

It's inevitable: Invasive pest will arrive in Nebraska, kill ash trees, costing an estimated $960M

Nancy Gaarder: World-Herald staff writer wrote:An invasive pest that could wipe out a significant chunk of Nebraska’s tree canopy is on the state’s doorstep.

While an emerald ash borer hasn’t been discovered in Nebraska yet, an infestation is inevitable and is expected to cost residents, businesses and state and local governments an estimated $960 million.

Linkin5
County Board

Re: Nebraska's $1 Billion Loss

Postby Linkin5 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:26 pm

Emerald ash borer's are the Mort Sullivan's of insects.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Just a side note on the print article - The 2002 map on the front page of the OWH is completely missing the left side which includes Nebraska and the 2002 date, While the 2014 map is missing the right side, even the attribution is listed as "THE WORLD-HI"

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Postby RNcyanide » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:30 am

We've lost two ash trees at my parents' house from some kind of ash bore already. We replaced one of them with a different kind of tree.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride

Brad
City Council

Re: Emerald Ash Borer - confirmed in Omaha

Postby Brad » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:22 pm

Nebraska department of Ag has confirmed the first case of Emerald Ash Bore in Nebraska. It was found in Pulaski Park in Omaha.

NEWS RELEASE
http://www.nda.nebraska.gov/press/june2 ... braska.pdf

OWH Story earler today:
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/has-eme ... 6c01c.html

Last week the city announced its plan on fighting EAB
http://www.ketv.com/news/city-prepares- ... n/39891434
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Busguy2010
Library Board

Postby Busguy2010 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:33 pm

I am fairly certain it was one that landed in my garden the other week, but didn't think to report it. I thought they were already here.

I used to have an ash tree that I grew since It was a twig and I was about 8. I was nervously awaiting the day they'd get here, but my ash tree was conveniently blown over in a storm two years ago. Sad day, but at least I didn't have to watch it slowly die.

mrsticka
Human Relations

Postby mrsticka » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:12 am

How can one little insect destroy such a big tree?

Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:56 am

mrsticka wrote:How can one little insect destroy such a big tree?

The KETV link above has photos

RockHarbor
Human Relations

Postby RockHarbor » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:18 pm

I read the article on these insects a year (or two) ago in the OWH, and then I never heard anything for a long time. They actually came to mind months back, but I thought that the story must have not panned-out. But, I was wrong. Alas, it sounds like they are here.

With the talk of ash trees dying because of them, I think of Regency. Regency's windy streets are all lined with ash trees. So, that neighborhood sounds like it will have to replace many trees eventually.
"Crossroads Village" down the street from "Aksarben Village?" Does "Crossroads" have any meaning to people 20 and under? "Dodge At 72nd" is a type name I like better, drawing from the excitement of the iconic, special Omaha intersection. My $.02.

Stargazer
County Board

Postby Stargazer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:12 pm

I did some research, a product called ArborJet Tree*age is very effective, but pricey (and of course you have to be a licensed arborist to use). I'm paying $300 for a treatment, which should protect my 50 foot Ash for 2 years.

RockHarbor
Human Relations

Postby RockHarbor » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:39 pm

Interesting. I'm so glad there is a treatment to hold back this ash borer.

Speaking of trees getting diseased, have you all not noticed how many pines are dying around Omaha? To me, without looking into it, I'm guessing it has to do with the warming climate and bores. In general, many pine species we enjoy in Omaha don't do well from Wichita on southward (because of the heat and bores that result from that heat). So, I'm guessing this is all happening from greater heat... But, not sure.
"Crossroads Village" down the street from "Aksarben Village?" Does "Crossroads" have any meaning to people 20 and under? "Dodge At 72nd" is a type name I like better, drawing from the excitement of the iconic, special Omaha intersection. My $.02.

Louie
Library Board

Postby Louie » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:10 pm

RockHarbor wrote:Interesting. I'm so glad there is a treatment to hold back this ash borer.

Speaking of trees getting diseased, have you all not noticed how many pines are dying around Omaha? To me, without looking into it, I'm guessing it has to do with the warming climate and bores. In general, many pine species we enjoy in Omaha don't do well from Wichita on southward (because of the heat and bores that result from that heat). So, I'm guessing this is all happening from greater heat... But, not sure.

Pine wilt has been going through the area for the past 5-6 years causing a lot of damage to austrian, black, and scots pines in the area.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:49 pm

Louie wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:Interesting. I'm so glad there is a treatment to hold back this ash borer.

Pine wilt has been going through the area for the past 5-6 years causing a lot of damage to austrian, black, and scots pines in the area.

Correct, we have been discussing Pine Wilt on Eomaha since 2008.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8033&hilit=Pine+Wilt
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Return to “Nebraska and Iowa”