Emerald Ash Borer - confirmed in Omaha

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Emerald Ash Borer - confirmed in Omaha

Post by Coyote »

It's inevitable: Invasive pest will arrive in Nebraska, kill ash trees, costing an estimated $960M
Nancy Gaarder: World-Herald staff writer wrote:An invasive pest that could wipe out a significant chunk of Nebraska’s tree canopy is on the state’s doorstep.

While an emerald ash borer hasn’t been discovered in Nebraska yet, an infestation is inevitable and is expected to cost residents, businesses and state and local governments an estimated $960 million.
Linkin5
County Board

Re: Nebraska's $1 Billion Loss

Post by Linkin5 »

Emerald ash borer's are the Mort Sullivan's of insects.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just a side note on the print article - The 2002 map on the front page of the OWH is completely missing the left side which includes Nebraska and the 2002 date, While the 2014 map is missing the right side, even the attribution is listed as "THE WORLD-HI"
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

We've lost two ash trees at my parents' house from some kind of ash bore already. We replaced one of them with a different kind of tree.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Re: Emerald Ash Borer - confirmed in Omaha

Post by Brad »

Nebraska department of Ag has confirmed the first case of Emerald Ash Bore in Nebraska. It was found in Pulaski Park in Omaha.

NEWS RELEASE
http://www.nda.nebraska.gov/press/june2 ... braska.pdf

OWH Story earler today:
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/has-eme ... 6c01c.html

Last week the city announced its plan on fighting EAB
http://www.ketv.com/news/city-prepares- ... n/39891434
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I am fairly certain it was one that landed in my garden the other week, but didn't think to report it. I thought they were already here.

I used to have an ash tree that I grew since It was a twig and I was about 8. I was nervously awaiting the day they'd get here, but my ash tree was conveniently blown over in a storm two years ago. Sad day, but at least I didn't have to watch it slowly die.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

How can one little insect destroy such a big tree?
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

mrsticka wrote:How can one little insect destroy such a big tree?
The KETV link above has photos
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I read the article on these insects a year (or two) ago in the OWH, and then I never heard anything for a long time. They actually came to mind months back, but I thought that the story must have not panned-out. But, I was wrong. Alas, it sounds like they are here.

With the talk of ash trees dying because of them, I think of Regency. Regency's windy streets are all lined with ash trees. So, that neighborhood sounds like it will have to replace many trees eventually.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I did some research, a product called ArborJet Tree*age is very effective, but pricey (and of course you have to be a licensed arborist to use). I'm paying $300 for a treatment, which should protect my 50 foot Ash for 2 years.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Interesting. I'm so glad there is a treatment to hold back this ash borer.

Speaking of trees getting diseased, have you all not noticed how many pines are dying around Omaha? To me, without looking into it, I'm guessing it has to do with the warming climate and bores. In general, many pine species we enjoy in Omaha don't do well from Wichita on southward (because of the heat and bores that result from that heat). So, I'm guessing this is all happening from greater heat... But, not sure.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

RockHarbor wrote:Interesting. I'm so glad there is a treatment to hold back this ash borer.

Speaking of trees getting diseased, have you all not noticed how many pines are dying around Omaha? To me, without looking into it, I'm guessing it has to do with the warming climate and bores. In general, many pine species we enjoy in Omaha don't do well from Wichita on southward (because of the heat and bores that result from that heat). So, I'm guessing this is all happening from greater heat... But, not sure.
Pine wilt has been going through the area for the past 5-6 years causing a lot of damage to austrian, black, and scots pines in the area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Louie wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:Interesting. I'm so glad there is a treatment to hold back this ash borer.

Pine wilt has been going through the area for the past 5-6 years causing a lot of damage to austrian, black, and scots pines in the area.
Correct, we have been discussing Pine Wilt on Eomaha since 2008.
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... =Pine+Wilt
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The mayor's office put out a press release this morning about tree removal. Here are some highlights:

-Omaha has 14,569 Ash Trees on Public Property, they have removed 6,034 Ash Trees.
-So far 6,119 trees on Right-of-Way and other public property have been removed.
-City Council just approved the removal of 548 Trees from 6 parks, most of which are ash trees.
-City Council just approved the removal of 834 Trees from the public Right-of-Way.
-City of Omaha has planted 1,000 New Trees.
-Keep Omaha Beautiful has planted 2,422 new trees.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Wish I could get some of that. Ash is a good burning wood.

Dam shame though that Ash is guaranteed to be extinct. I grew one from a sapling I got in elementary school for Arbor day... Got to be a good 30 feet tall in less than 10 years, but a storm ripped it in half. Kinda wonder if it had already been compromised by the Emerald ash borer, and that was in 2013. Lots of parks in the metro have some pretty large ash trees. It's too bad cause ash is a good hardwood. Probably a lot of some of the best trees in the city falling victim to that dern beetle.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:19 pm The mayor's office put out a press release this morning about tree removal. Here are some highlights:

-Omaha has 14,569 Ash Trees on Public Property, they have removed 6,034 Ash Trees.
-So far 6,119 trees on Right-of-Way and other public property have been removed.
-City Council just approved the removal of 548 Trees from 6 parks, most of which are ash trees.
-City Council just approved the removal of 834 Trees from the public Right-of-Way.
-City of Omaha has planted 1,000 New Trees.
-Keep Omaha Beautiful has planted 2,422 new trees.
Happy to see them being proactive on replantings. Did they mention how many of the 14k that will inevitably go that they'd replace?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Louie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:51 am Happy to see them being proactive on replantings. Did they mention how many of the 14k that will inevitably go that they'd replace?
Says they started out trying to treat healthy trees, but now they are ending treatments and will prioritize removal. I read that as they will eventually remove all of them.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:42 am
Louie wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:51 am Happy to see them being proactive on replantings. Did they mention how many of the 14k that will inevitably go that they'd replace?
Says they started out trying to treat healthy trees, but now they are ending treatments and will prioritize removal. I read that as they will eventually remove all of them.
I understand that the 14k will get taken down. Just hope they plant 14k to replace as well.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Busguy2010 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:02 pm Could you observations be linked to the Emerald Ash Borer in some way? We have (had) a lot of Ash trees around here, but they are pretty much guaranteed to be extinct. Just pointing out that Ash trees could account for a lot of removal.

Ash trees days are numbered, seeing lots of infected one's around Omaha lately.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska Extension warns about Emerald Ash Borer, offers tips to treat Ash trees

The Nebraska Extension office is still warning about Emerald Ash Borer also known as EAB, saying it remains an issue in Nebraska. Entomologist Jody Green said they have been warning about EAB for years – and we need to start thinking about how to manage the pest. Emerald Ash Borer is an invasive pest and destructive wood boring beetle and can be spread through the movement of infested ash nursery stock, ash firewood, and other ash material.

Symptoms include canopy thinning and branch dieback, usually beginning in the top of the tree, sprouting from the base of the tree, bark splitting, zigzag tunnels under the bark, D-shaped exit holes 1/8-inch across and bark stripping from woodpecker activity.
legato9
Home Owners Association

Post by legato9 »

This. Sucks. So. Hard.

It may seem weird, but very, very high on the list of reasons I’m considering moving out of state is the tree canopy (or lack thereof) in Omaha. It’s like 17% I think.

I feel like Nebraskans are oddly hostile toward nature. I know Ash Borer wasn’t their decision, but I know people won’t replant.

I see so, so many bare front yards and commercial blocks without a tree in sight. It really bums me out.

It would be so easy to make Omaha dramatically more beautiful. -sigh-
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Emerald Ash Borer 'continual' problem for tree management in Glenwood and elsewhere in Midwest

GLENWOOD, Iowa (KMTV) — In the mid-20th Century, Dutch Elm Disease killed many of the elm trees in Glenwood, Iowa. As a replacement, the city planted ash trees, which are usually sturdy. Now, the city — and many homeowners — are forced to remove those mature trees because of an invasive species.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

[media][/media]
legato9 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:00 am This. Sucks. So. Hard.

It may seem weird, but very, very high on the list of reasons I’m considering moving out of state is the tree canopy (or lack thereof) in Omaha. It’s like 17% I think.

I feel like Nebraskans are oddly hostile toward nature. I know Ash Borer wasn’t their decision, but I know people won’t replant.

I see so, so many bare front yards and commercial blocks without a tree in sight. It really bums me out.

It would be so easy to make Omaha dramatically more beautiful. -sigh-
Parts of Omaha especially west Omaha are somewhat lacking in trees. I do think east of I-680 and places like Bellevue and Fort Calhoun the tree canopy is fairly decent for a city that is on the edge of the Great Plains.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

I wish more people would plant multiple trees in their yards. Noise control, shade in the summer, urban heat island mitigation through transpiration. Tons of benefits.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I'm somewhat torn on the trees in my neighborhood. A lot of them are unhealthy and poorly placed. Trees are nice, but they also are a bit if a problem for their interaction with utilities. I like to see trees, but only if they are logically placed. And many species are not suited for small, urban plots, such as sycamore, cottonwood, silver Maple, etc. A lot problems with plumbing, electric, foundation, natural gas and more can be traced to improperly placed trees. And actually a lot of trees around here were allowed to grow as weeds, so that's a whole other level of ain't right. I don't think it'll happen, but I do think there should be some sort of review process involved with planting a tree. I know it'd be met with friction, but I think it would save a lot of future headaches.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:08 pm I'm somewhat torn on the trees in my neighborhood. A lot of them are unhealthy and poorly placed. Trees are nice, but they also are a bit if a problem for their interaction with utilities. I like to see trees, but only if they are logically placed. And many species are not suited for small, urban plots, such as sycamore, cottonwood, silver Maple, etc. A lot problems with plumbing, electric, foundation, natural gas and more can be traced to improperly placed trees.
This just takes a little bit of education to prevent poor planting.
Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:08 pm And actually a lot of trees around here were allowed to grow as weeds, so that's a whole other level of ain't right.
I'm not advocating for overgrowth or thickets like that. That's more on particular homeowners than someone who is 'pro-canopy' (for lack of a better term).
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Yeah, I don't think anybody would advocate for that. But it does happen often, and as of right now, it doesn't really seem like there's much to be done about it. In my particular neighborhood, more trees are being cut down than are being planted, with good reason IMO. I don't know what the solution would be, cause we need trees, but I just don't think the average homeowner has the knowledge to know where a good position for a tree is. We just do it based on looks, and I think we should do it based on future practicality within the parameters our utilities set. I can't tell you how many neighbors, and myself have had to have our main sewer line replaced directly because of tree roots. Or how many times a random tree branch fell on a power line on a perfectly sunny and unsuspected day.
legato9
Home Owners Association

Post by legato9 »

Louie wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:44 pm I wish more people would plant multiple trees in their yards. Noise control, shade in the summer, urban heat island mitigation through transpiration. Tons of benefits.
Seriously, this is in my top 5 gripes about Omaha. It’s really common to see three, four, even five houses in a row with barren front yards. It makes no sense to me.

So many more homes and neighborhoods could look really charming.

The really small tree canopy in Omaha contributes significantly, imo, to the city looking kind of unpleasant.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

legato9 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:31 am
Louie wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:44 pm I wish more people would plant multiple trees in their yards. Noise control, shade in the summer, urban heat island mitigation through transpiration. Tons of benefits.
Seriously, this is in my top 5 gripes about Omaha. It’s really common to see three, four, even five houses in a row with barren front yards. It makes no sense to me.

So many more homes and neighborhoods could look really charming.

The really small tree canopy in Omaha contributes significantly, imo, to the city looking kind of unpleasant.
Yeah, lots of people just plant one tree in the front yard and call it good, when there is plenty of room for multiple trees to add canopy faster. And trees tend to prefer to grow near each other as their roots are interconnected via mycelium.