Nice Projects in Cedar Rapids IA

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Nice Projects in Cedar Rapids IA

Post by nebugeater »

I used to live in Cedar Rapids and it is a nice community. The last few times I have been out their the DT seems to have stalled. Probably noticed this since the flooding on 08 (ithink that was the year)

It looks like there are a couple od decent projects going on in DT CR right now though that are a nice step forward.

United Fire & Casualty just announced a 10 story office building to go up in DT in place of an existing one story building. They will also renovate the building they own right next to the new construction.

http://www.kcrg.com/subject/news/busine ... g-20150605
CEDAR RAPIDS — United Fire Group announced plans Friday to construct a 10-story, 50,000-square-foot downtown office and renovate the interior of the adjacent American Building.

UFG bought the similarly-sized American Building at 101 Second St. SE in January 2014. The purchase of the building, constructed in 1914, included an adjacent one-story structure at 119 First Ave. SE.

The smaller building would be demolished to construct the new 10-story office tower.

UFG, which employs 625 in Cedar Rapids and 1,025 full and part-time nationwide, plans to add 50 employees in connection with the expansion and remodeling project.............................

There is an ongoing construction project for a new 11 story building nearby also. THis is for the trucking COmpany CRST

http://www.crst.com/2014/07/crst-intern ... dquarters/
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Nice Projects in Cedar Rapids IA

Post by skinzfan23 »

I saw the announcement for the new building as well. 10 stories and only 50,000 sq ft seems rather small. I hope that when they do the reno of the American building they don't mess with the architectural beauty of the building.

As for Cedar Rapids being a nice community, it is for family life and that is about it. I felt like there are few activities that you can do for nightlife and most of the events in the city cost money. Unlike Omaha/CB that recently had Chicago for free, Cedar Rapids had them at the outdoor amphitheater and charged $47-151 for tickets, which is ridiculous for band like Chicago at an outdoor venue. I think Chicago is a great band, but not worth those big bucks.

Needless to say, I am very happy I moved back to the Omaha area and get to enjoy all the free or cheap events that we have. (Taste of Omaha, Summer Arts Festival, Santa Lucia Festival, Bank of the West Concert, and many others.)