Des Moines - 40-story Apartment Tower (The Fifth)

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Des Moines - 40-story Apartment Tower (The Fifth)

Post by Midwestern »

"Mandelbaum’s plan includes a nine-screen movie theater, an indoor/outdoor climbing wall facing Court Avenue, a jazz club on Walnut Street, a 600-stall parking ramp, a daycare, a small amount of office space and about 200 apartments. It would replace a city-owned parking garage that city officials have been looking to demolish to make way for new development."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /29968509/

desmoines.jpg
desmoines.jpg (185.96 KiB) Viewed 7217 times
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Re: 32-story Apartment Tower in Des Moines

Post by MadMartin8 »

Another impressive addition to the Des Moines Skyline.
No posts exist for this topic
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

That looks awesome, hopefully there won't be another doomed 32 story tower.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That looks very nice....sounds like it still would have a ton paperwork to get through first though. It is first going before the city council and the article stated that the earliest construction could begin would be late 2016 with at least two years of construction to follow. So if everything goes smoothly, they would be looking at late 2018, early 2019 for completion.

Here is another interesting quote from the register's article:
Real estate brokers have said a high-rise development at the site would require apartment rental rates of about $2 per square foot, while downtown apartments currently rent for about $1.40 a square foot.
So basically, you are talking about asking over 40% more than the average rent in downtown Des Moines. Seems like it could be another Wall Street tower pipe dream.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That will be great for their skyline! Kind of interesting that it costs "only" $85 million when the WST was to cost $122 million 10 years ago.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Looks very chic I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you DSM. And maybe a bit of your luck will come our way some day.
15-17, 26, 32
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Really hope it happens for Des Moines....my only concern, like others is how little the cost is. However Milwaukee did build their 32 story, 380 feet Kilbourn Residential Tower for for 62 million back in 2005. That would be about 77.09 million in 2016 dollars if inflation holds steady. So definetly possible.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

The only thing I like about this building is that it's 32 stories tall. Otherwise, I think the building is very ugly. The random design elements are odd and looks like the architect just threw them in at the last minute. To me, it just looks like there wasn't a lot of thought put into the design. The building might be a hit the first few years, just because it's new, but I don't see this building generating much attention a decade from now.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The rendering looks like it could have been traced by a 10 year old..

If a building like this actually comes into reality for downtown Des Moines, I'd be fairly shocked if it looked like this. At this time, the entire project looks very preliminary..

Another Wallstreet Tower failure? Who knows.. At least Townsend isn't at the helm on this one..

We'll see...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

There are two endings for this story, either it sits for 6 years till they finally get all the funding and permits or it just falls flat. By the way I'm in Des Moines right now and we went to the skywalk. We were the only people in the whole thing and most of it was empty. Anyone know whats going on there?
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:There are two endings for this story, either it sits for 6 years till they finally get all the funding and permits or it just falls flat. By the way I'm in Des Moines right now and we went to the skywalk. We were the only people in the whole thing and most of it was empty. Anyone know whats going on there?
I'll say that I've been in the downtown area of Des Moines several times over the past few years and it makes me appreciate Omaha's downtown that much more. Omaha has a decidedly more vibrant downtown core and area.. To be fair, Omaha is the much larger city so this should be the case and is..

This said, I hope that DSM gets this tower and their convention hotel built. The tower seems to be very early in the planning stage and the hotel seemingly has hit a series of snags..so time will tell..

The fact that in a very short time, Tower canes will be back in downtown Omaha for a 14 story hotel, a 12 story mid rise and the 18-20 story HDR headquarters..makes it an exciting time to be living in the Big O...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Can we keep the dick measuring contest out of this thread? We get your habitual point cowboy.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Linkin5 wrote:Can we keep the dick measuring contest out of this thread? We get your habitual point cowboy.
It's only a "dick measuring contest" if you perceive it to be. Try acting less like one and speaking for others on this forum by referencing "we".. If you have an issue with my postings send it through IM and we can work it out..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Can we keep the dick measuring contest out of this thread? We get your habitual point cowboy.
It's only a "dick measuring contest" if you perceive it to be. Try acting less like one and speaking for others on this forum by referencing "we".. If you have an issue with my postings send it through IM and we can work it out..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Why would I PM you? You guys are stating this project is going to die with no evidence or reason, if this project was announced in Omaha you would be ecstatic.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Linkin5 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Why would I PM you? You guys are stating this project is going to die with no evidence or reason, if this project was announced in Omaha you would be ecstatic.
Why? Because you're posting like a jackass. In the past, I've thought more of you than that. Tell me where ANYONE here said this project was " going to die".. That's right. NO one has. Again, and I'll say this for the last time, if you have an issue with my postings, PM me and we can meet up and deal with it face to face. If not, knock off the BS and stop trying to create conflict when there is none. Hopefully I've made myself completely clear..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Why? Because you're posting like a jackass. In the past, I've thought more of you than that. Tell me where ANYONE here said this project was " going to die".. That's right. NO one has. Again, and I'll say this for the last time, if you have an issue with my postings, PM me and we can meet up and deal with it face to face. If not, knock off the BS and stop trying to create conflict when there is none. Hopefully I've made myself completely clear..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Lol, Internet fight! Here is part of the post you quoted from Potato:

"There are two endings for this story, either it sits for 6 years till they finally get all the funding and permits or it just falls flat."

So yes, somebody basically said this would die.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Linkin5 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace

"There are two endings for this story, either it sits for 6 years till they finally get all the funding and permits or it just falls flat."

That's lame. Especially for a forum veteran such as yourself. I never stated It, yet you include me in your ridiculous responses. Remember, if it's a fight you want, you created it. Be assured, I will finish it. In fact, it would be a good idea if you let this go now.. The subject(s) on this forum are bigger and more important than some BS postings and conflict you created..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace

That's lame. Especially for a forum veteran such as yourself. I never stated It, yet you include me in your ridiculous responses. Remember, if it's a fight you want, you created it. Be assured, I will finish it. In fact, it would be a good idea if you let this go now.. The subject(s) on this forum are bigger and more important than some BS postings and conflict you created..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Lol, would you stop the tough guy act? Challenging somebody to a fight over the Internet is the biggest d0uchebag move ever.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Linkin5 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Lol, would you stop the tough guy act? Challenging somebody to a fight over the Internet is the biggest d0uchebag move ever.
This is no act. You started the girly-bochery (Is that a word?) PM me and we can work this out in private. If not, move on..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

According the register today, the developer had a preliminary agreement approved by the des moines city council. Main Street Theaters, who run Aksarben Cinema in Omaha is the proposed operator of the theater aspect of the project. The cost of the project has risen from $85 million to $107 million. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2017, possibly as early as next spring. It will be a two-year project, with an opening planned for 2019.

They now also have a website:

http://www.thefifthdsm.com
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Good for DSM. Really interesting financing/incentive package with it.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Excellent for DSM! I hope the project follows through and happens..

Maybe they can get the high rises done that Omaha, for whatever reason, can't...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

A theater a night club and gym those are easy to do but that financing scheme is something we should adopt her.
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Like this one
15-17, 26, 32
dogbo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dogbo »

Changes to this one.

Adding 50 room hotel as part of the project. Have to assume this makes financing a bit easier.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /97546500/
dogbo
dogbo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dogbo »

Last minute proposal submitted by Blackbird, the developer for the other proposed high-rise (see 29 story thread), for this site and they actually got the endorsement from the city’s econ development dept (over the original developer’s proposal). At best, this would top 35 stories.

Strange times in downtown DSM. First, having 2 proposed towers at once and now to having two developers competing to build one of them.
About the proposals
Mandelbaum Properties’ $111 million proposal called The Fifth includes:
• A 25- to 32-story tower with about 200 luxury apartment units and a 50-room boutique hotel.
• A 564-stall parking garage along Fifth Avenue.
• A two-story, nine-screen movie theater operated by Omaha-based Main Street Theaters that serves food, beer and wine.
Blackbird Investment's $137 million proposal called Four-22 proposal includes:
• A residential co-op standing 26 to 35 stories.
• A 700-stall, six-story parking garage along Fifth Avenue covered by a lighted art installation that moves with the wind.
• A 150-room hotel facing Court Avenue with an indoor/outdoor music venue on the street level.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /99578152/
dogbo
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Blackbird dropped out of that competition. The other developer released a new rendering for that highrise and it looks great.
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

The new rendering looks so much better than the previous rendering. Anyone know if this development will have market price or income restricted units(or both)? It seems like half the dt dsm units are income restricted.
dogbo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dogbo »

bmt wrote:The new rendering looks so much better than the previous rendering. Anyone know if this development will have market price or income restricted units(or both)? It seems like half the dt dsm units are income restricted.
It is billed as luxury apartments.

As to the "income restricted" comment. It may have been true about a half dozen years or so ago, but everything built within last few years and in the pipeline is almost 100% market rate.
dogbo
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

dogbo wrote: It is billed as luxury apartments.

As to the "income restricted" comment. It may have been true about a half dozen years or so ago, but everything built within last few years and in the pipeline is almost 100% market rate.
What was the reason that there were so many income restricted options a few years ago but none now? Were there incentives back then that aren't available now, or is there just no demand for the restricted units now?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

bmt wrote:
dogbo wrote: It is billed as luxury apartments.

What was the reason that there were so many income restricted options a few years ago but none now? Were there incentives back then that aren't available now, or is there just no demand for the restricted units now?
Don't know what Des Moines is like, but Market Rate apartments mean you can create communities of similar people who are happy living a certain way. Party people live in a Frat for 30 something's while quiet people live quietly. Section 8 attracts people who think staying up all night watching Jerry Springer is a lifestyle. They also come with a lot of Fed requirements that are "unfunded mandates". I could see why in a market where there was a demand for your building, you would choose to not go that way.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

The Fifth: 39 Story Tower @ 5th and Walnut Street, DSM

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Updated stats/renderings: 39 Floors, 452 ft., $170 Million

The Fifth includes a 9-screen theater, boutique hotel, office/retail space, parking garage, and luxury apartments.

More info/pics on UrbanDSM's project page: The Fifth

KMC
New to the Neighborhood

Post by KMC »

with the mechanical floor it is actually 40 floors. Pretty impressive, but a lot can happen between now and ground breaking. Fingers crossed.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Wow that is pretty bad |expletive|! Good for DSM!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Wow impressive DSM!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

The theater is from "Omaha based Mainstreet Theaters"

Who are they?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Garrett wrote:The theater is from "Omaha based Mainstreet Theaters"

Who are they?
They run the Aksarben theater.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

City of Des Moines completes $42 million purchase of The Fifth parking garage
Kim Norvell
The city of Des Moines now officially owns an 11-story parking garage that's part of embattled project The Fifth, which was in foreclosure after the developers failed to pay a construction loan.

A $42 million purchase agreement was finalized last week, according to documents filed with the Polk County Recorder's Office. With this action, the foreclosure petition against the developers, brothers Justin and Sean Mandelbaum and their company, Mandelbaum Properties, has been dropped — though legal wrangling over other, undeveloped land on the site continues.

The 751-stall garage, located on Fifth Avenue between Court Avenue and Walnut Street, was the first of three buildings, including a 40-story skyscraper and a three-story movie theater, planned for the landmark development.

Mandelbaum Properties failed to pay on a construction loan and Bankers Trust Co. foreclosed on the property about three months after the city of Des Moines declared the Mandelbaums in default of a development agreement.
At least the City got an 11 story parking garage out of it?
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

The parking garage is unattractive as well, looks like they were running out of money and just needed to finish it. Very minimalist looking in a bad way.

Pretty sure this is the tallest garage in Iowa or Nebraska. Only 6 floors are going to be used on a daily basis. They aren’t using the upper floors to save $$$.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Cermak wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:25 pm The parking garage is unattractive as well, looks like they were running out of money and just needed to finish it. Very minimalist looking in a bad way.

Pretty sure this is the tallest garage in Iowa or Nebraska. Only 6 floors are going to be used on a daily basis. They aren’t using the upper floors to save $$$.
How does not using the upper floors save them money? Wouldn't there be a chance for added income from the other levels?