Fremont Costco Chicken Processing Plant

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, Candleshoe

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 5924
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Fremont Costco Chicken Processing Plant

Postby nebugeater » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:39 am

A lot of news outlets yesterday started to cover a possible chicken processing plant that is in the works at some level near Fremont.

Sounds like a pretty big investment and there is a contract in place to purchase the ground needed. That fact is from the current land owner.

Some stats that I have read,

1200 employees
350000 chickens processed a day.
300 million investment
No known state incentives are involved. If they are they are not public yet.


Some of the comments that I have read on the news articles on line and on Fecebook news posts are really short sighted and naive. There may be bases for some of the concerns but there is no where near enough info to jump to the conclusions that are made. Not a suppose but makes you shake your head.

This will be interesting to follow.

OWN story
http://www.omaha.com/money/mystery-comp ... b6458.html

WOWT
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Neig ... 39741.html


Brownfield

http://brownfieldagnews.com/2016/03/30/ ... ska-plant/
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8742
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby iamjacobm » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:38 pm

http://www.omaha.com/money/fremont-area-chicken-plant-backers-to-regroup-after-nickerson-town/article_9722bf3a-fad3-11e5-83b6-d3cc1adce17d.html

Opponents of a proposed chicken processing plant packed the fire hall and spilled onto the street of this small town north of Fremont on Monday, railing against the facility and the elected officials considering it.

The plant will bring heavy traffic, disease, bad smells and an influx of immigrant workers and their children, opponents told officials in Nickerson, a town about 8 miles north of Fremont.

Members of the Nickerson Village Board voted 5-0 against a plan that would rezone the land where the plant would be built. The crowd erupted into cheers in the wake of the vote.


And some of the comments...

And John Wiegert, who has opposed illegal immigration in Fremont, said the plant would bring the issue to Nickerson.

"Being a Christian, I don't want Somalis in here," he said of who he expected to be plant workers. "They're of Muslim descent. I'm worried about the type of people this is going to attract."

Robert Mulliken said he once toured a chicken plant in California and was dismayed at the lack of "Caucasians." "I'm not prejudiced at all but that was the one time in my life I really got scared," he said.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby MadMartin8 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:53 pm

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/money/fremont-area-chicken-plant-backers-to-regroup-after-nickerson-town/article_9722bf3a-fad3-11e5-83b6-d3cc1adce17d.html

Opponents of a proposed chicken processing plant packed the fire hall and spilled onto the street of this small town north of Fremont on Monday, railing against the facility and the elected officials considering it.

The plant will bring heavy traffic, disease, bad smells and an influx of immigrant workers and their children, opponents told officials in Nickerson, a town about 8 miles north of Fremont.

Members of the Nickerson Village Board voted 5-0 against a plan that would rezone the land where the plant would be built. The crowd erupted into cheers in the wake of the vote.


And some of the comments...

And John Wiegert, who has opposed illegal immigration in Fremont, said the plant would bring the issue to Nickerson.

"Being a Christian, I don't want Somalis in here," he said of who he expected to be plant workers. "They're of Muslim descent. I'm worried about the type of people this is going to attract."

Robert Mulliken said he once toured a chicken plant in California and was dismayed at the lack of "Caucasians." "I'm not prejudiced at all but that was the one time in my life I really got scared," he said.


Wow. I'm kind of at a loss for words.
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2022
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:09 pm

And so Nickerson continues to die a slow, racist death because economic growth that includes bringing in people different than them is scary. Good riddance.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1681
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Midtown Crossing

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby HR Paperstacks » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:41 pm

Is it really that scary to accept different races and religions? The fearful right really needs to get past the fact that there are other cultures out there.

User avatar
choke
Human Relations
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby choke » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:47 pm

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that statement about immigrants, Somalis and Muslims. This county was built on immigrants and freedom of religion. It blows my mind.

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3549
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby Greg S » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:59 am

I wish I could say I was surprised by the comments but with everything that has gone on politically in Fremont I can't say I am.

That being said, are we convinced this is a good thing for that area? Are all jobs and such good? They have some similar plants in Schuyler and it would be interesting to see if the end result was more positive. I'm talking crime, strain on the schools, housing, quality of jobs, overall quality of life.

Greg

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8742
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby iamjacobm » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:08 am

Greg S wrote:I wish I could say I was surprised by the comments but with everything that has gone on politically in Fremont I can't say I am.

That being said, are we convinced this is a good thing for that area? Are all jobs and such good? They have some similar plants in Schuyler and it would be interesting to see if the end result was more positive. I'm talking crime, strain on the schools, housing, quality of jobs, overall quality of life.

Greg


Totally valid concerns that need to be addressed. Just didn't seem like the ones people really cared about.

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:43 pm

Greg S wrote:I wish I could say I was surprised by the comments but with everything that has gone on politically in Fremont I can't say I am.

That being said, are we convinced this is a good thing for that area? Are all jobs and such good? They have some similar plants in Schuyler and it would be interesting to see if the end result was more positive. I'm talking crime, strain on the schools, housing, quality of jobs, overall quality of life.

Greg



Those plants destroyed Schuyler. Schuyler was a Norman Rockwell picture in the 70s and early 80s. Now it sucks. Now you might get knifed walking around town at night. They sell illegal IDs to the illegals in the bars there as is well documented by news investigations. Beautiful peaceful friendly Schulyer is now a hole. Shame on those folks in Nickerson for not wanting that to happen to them.

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 5924
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby nebugeater » Mon May 02, 2016 7:08 pm

First mention of another location near Fremont. This one on the other side of town.



http://www.ketv.com/news/chicken-plant- ... sWatch%207
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 5924
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby nebugeater » Mon May 02, 2016 7:09 pm

If you read the story as it currently is written they are going to process TURKEY from the Chickens. Wonder how long before that is fixed.
Attachments
turky.JPG
turky.JPG (147.18 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8742
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby iamjacobm » Tue May 03, 2016 9:07 am

Sounds like they found a new site next to the Hormel plant on the south side of Fremont.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20310
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby Coyote » Thu May 12, 2016 10:32 pm

Dodge County Board OKs move toward Fremont land annexation

Barbara Soderlin - World-Herald staff writer wrote:Annexing the properties would clear the way for Fremont to annex the plant site itself, necessary to offer tax-increment financing for development.
Image

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20310
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby Coyote » Thu May 12, 2016 10:58 pm

From a Grow Omaha Episode a few weeks past, they were saying this would have a $1B economic impact on our MSA. $300M investment with 1100 jobs starting at a very competitive $15-16/hr. Not only would a state of the art, totally enclosed processing facility be built, but they would need around 400 local chicken farmers. When a questionnaire went out, there were 1300 responses from local farmers.

I hope this works out for Fremont. I know Nickerson cried that their rural lifestyle would be threatened, so I am glad that Fremont stepped up to the plate. I know this may bring in those horrible non native Nebraskans, but it will also spur on housing developments in the MSA, generate more secondary retail, tax revenue, both income and corporate...

I am surprised that this isn't getting the press it deserves, maybe I haven't seen it, but this will be a huge boost the our MSAs economy.
Image

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20310
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby Coyote » Tue May 31, 2016 11:25 pm

Fremont City Council approves reimbursement cost for Costco plan

KMTV wrote:The Fremont city council has unanimously approved reimbursement of almost $200,000 for engineering services if Costco comes to the town.
Image

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8742
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby iamjacobm » Tue May 31, 2016 11:58 pm

They will probably get TIF too.

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby bigredmed » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:26 am

Now Bold Nebraska is suing to block the study needed regarding utility improvements for the site.

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2326
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby jessep28 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:48 pm

bigredmed wrote:Now Bold Nebraska is suing to block the study needed regarding utility improvements for the site.


Keystone XL is on hold for the time being, so Jane Kleeb and her gang of environmentalists have to find something else to fight over.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby bigredmed » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:02 pm

jessep28 wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Now Bold Nebraska is suing to block the study needed regarding utility improvements for the site.


Keystone XL is on hold for the time being, so Jane Kleeb and her gang of environmentalists have to find something else to fight over.


Gotta bring home those legal fees.

daveoma
Human Relations
Posts: 795
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby daveoma » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:30 pm

bigredmed wrote:
jessep28 wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Now Bold Nebraska is suing to block the study needed regarding utility improvements for the site.


Keystone XL is on hold for the time being, so Jane Kleeb and her gang of environmentalists have to find something else to fight over.


Gotta bring home those legal fees.

I think the concerns are completely legitimate. Many large poultry plants contain thousands of animals which produce lots of waste. It makes sense that the primary polluter (the owner of the plant) should pay for any environmental impact study--especially when there are obvious pollution concerns.

I think Bold Nebraska is a tremendously beneficial organization which used grassroots activism to stand up to powerful oil lobbyists to prevent the construction Keystone pipeline. Furthermore they helped unite many farmers and Native people together in the common interest of responsible stewardship of the land.

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board
Posts: 473
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:17 am

Council unanimously votes to expand Costco Poultry Complex
http://fremonttribune.com/news/local/go ... 2e943.html

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8742
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby iamjacobm » Mon May 15, 2017 10:08 am

Thankfully this is moving forward ahead full steam.

Omaha_corn_burner
Library Board
Posts: 473
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Re: Fremont Area Chicken Processing Plant

Postby Omaha_corn_burner » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:00 pm

Work has begun. There is heavy equipment out there now.


Return to “Nebraska and Iowa”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest