I Just Went To COLUMBUS, NE. And, liked it!

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RockHarbor
Planning Board

I Just Went To COLUMBUS, NE. And, liked it!

Post by RockHarbor »

When I was a kid, a friend of mine moved away from Omaha to Columbus, NE w/ his dad's job. They were fairly well-off, so I always imagined they moved to a super big house there, as their home in Omaha was very spacious & nice. Since then, I've always wanted to kinda visit Columbus, NE. I've heard good things about it.

Anyways, today I took a little afternoon/evening road trip to Fremont and then on to Columbus. I want to focus-on and understand the towns around Omaha (and my home state) even more. I mean, I've been to almost all major cities in this country, I've been to other countries. But, I had never been to Columbus, NE until today. I hardly know what Norfolk is like. And, so on...

It was nice. I liked it. I'm glad I finally went. I was impressed. They even have stores like "The Buckle." They had a water park. I want to go back. I liked their cute downtown, and I liked their neon strip. They even have some newer suburban areas on the northern area of town.

I also finally explored Downtown Fremont. Every time I'm in Fremont, I'm on that main neon-strip of Highway 30 and don't ever go downtown. Downtown Fremont really is lively & nice, too.

Anyways, being in Columbus, even though it is only about 1.5 hours from Omaha (if even that), it just felt like I was so far from home. I felt like I was practically in another state, or something. I have to say, I like hilly towns (like Omaha), but there's something I like about pancake-flat towns, too -- like Columbus and Fremont. The Platte River also was really pretty as it winded through adjacent to the town of Columbus. With it being so flat in that area, and the wide river, the meaning of the Indian word "Nebraska" translating to "Flat Water" makes perfect sense.

Anything I should know about Columbus? I want to go back and spend more time there. Any suggestions? Anybody know anything about it? Thanks!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Re: I Just Went To COLUMBUS, NE. And, liked it!

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Start reading up on Ag business and manufacturing. I'm sure you saw all the manufacturing plants. You may want to lookup info on the city demographics and how that is effecting jobs, schools, etc. Fremont/Inglewood is a good example with the Hispanic issues (jobs, apartments, taco trucks, etc) and the processing plants. There's the Costco chicken plant recently in the news.

To actually keep this thread in the spirit of the forum, check the NDOR and read about the Transportation Innovation Act. They have fast tracked funding to expand the highways.

http://roads.nebraska.gov/projects/tia/
Future highway projects : http://roads.nebraska.gov/projects/future-projects/
Schuyler to Fremont : http://roads.nebraska.gov/projects/bna/ ... o-fremont/
Rogers to Fremont : http://roads.nebraska.gov/projects/futu ... o-fremont/
The new highway plan is going to bypass the city of North Bend which might have a big negative economic impact on the town.
More links on the highway bypass:
http://northbendeagle.com/2016/May2016/ ... ssway.html
http://northbendeagle.com/2016/April201 ... amber.html

Here's some downtown planning action in Columbus : http://columbustelegram.com/banner-pres ... 144dc.html

Scooters opening in Columbus : http://columbustelegram.com/news/local/ ... 97f56.html

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here. Things are growing slowly in these towns, but they are growing. The lack of road/grid planning drives me a bit crazy, but not much I can do about that. The new highways are a big plus for me.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Omaha_corn_burner: Thanks for your wonderful reply, filled with those informative links. I didn't expect all that -- from anybody. Yes, I am interested in all those things. Yes, I did notice the Cargill plants driving in.

Wow, I knew there were plans in the works to make more expressway-like highways out of Omaha to the main, larger anchoring towns of Norfolk, and others, but I didn't know about that expressway (Highway 30) that bypasses North Bend to Schyler. They must be eventually planning to make it go all the way to Columbus, I'm guessing?

I knew Columbus wasn't that small, but it really is bigger than I always pictured. It really isn't a bad size. I'm glad to get out and explore some of these towns, because it always helps expand my view of Nebraska and understand my home state more. Here, this whole little world of Columbus goes on everyday just 1.5 hours from Omaha, and it is a whole different world than Omaha. Fremont is the same, but it sits close enough to Omaha that I don't quite get the same "whole different world" feeling in Fremont.

I guess when I started this post here I was looking for any ideas for restaurants, or things to do, or attractions, if/when I go back to Columbus. They have a Fort Western Store, like you find in Lincoln & Nebraska City, so I was happy to see that. They even have a Hobby Lobby. I was surprised. Sometimes, I get this preconceived notions about towns that are far from interstates, and my mental picture is often wrong, and they have more than I think. I have to remember that, close to an interstate or not, towns like Columbus are the main, anchoring town in a large rural region, so a lot of people around the town pour in to shop & eat there, ect.

I also thought the Platte River was a bit prettier-looking there, than it looks in our area. It made me appreciate the beauty of the Platte River more, too.

Thx again for your reply. I appreciate all the info!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

You HAVE TO try out Dusters. http://www.dustersrestaurant.com/

A little anecdote... a few years ago, we hosted family from Sweden for a couple of weeks and one evening we made the trek to meet some other family members at Dusters. A big table and a three hour visit. Fabulous food and staff. Anyway... upon return to Stockholm, the dad happened to mention to a friend of his that they had been to Nebraska for a nice visit, knowing that this friend was a frequent business traveler to the Midwest. The friend said "Next time you go to Nebraska, you MUST stop in a town called "Columbus" and try a restaurant called "Dusters"!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Candleshoe wrote:You HAVE TO try out Dusters. http://www.dustersrestaurant.com/
I was there a few days ago. There's also a brewery in the back. The beers are terrible (in my opinion, but I do drink a lot of craft beer).
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

How funny! What a small, small world. Dusters, eh? I'll check it out! Omaha_corn_burner: It sounds like you are involved somewhat w/ these towns outside of Omaha.

I'm actually thinking of going back to Columbus very soon. I keep asking myself: "Why are you drawn to Columbus?" I think it is because I've lived most of my life in Omaha, and it is only 1.5 hours away, and I just finally visited it. So, I finally have been exposed to its own little world, and I wanna know more what that is about. It is also a nice town. I heard it was, and I personally like the feel of it better than other towns in NE its size. Seriously, if Columbus sat where Fremont does, I would be driving out there more than I do Fremont. I like Fremont, but I like the feel/look of Columbus a bit better. (Nothing against Fremont.) I'm also curious whatever happened to that friend of mine. He was in my life as a kid, then he moved off to "Columbus, NE" and I never knew the rest of the story. For example, upon seeing the high school in Columbus (assuming there is only 1 public high school), I would know that's where he likely went to school. I might ask around a bit, too. (In the past, I've looked for him on Facebook, and I don't think he is on there.) I'm not looking for some warm & fuzzy, rekindled friendship. I'm looking to have my curiosities cease, and maybe say "hello" & "goodbye" once again, before being on my way.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

IF you don't ever look here you may like this read about Columbus of any other town for that matter.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Columbus-Nebraska.html

By the way there are three high schools in Columbus.

Copied from the link above

Public high schools in Columbus:
LAKEVIEW HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 309, Location: 3744 83RD ST, Grades: 9-12)
COLUMBUS HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 151, Location: 2200 26TH ST, Grades: 9-12)
Private high school in Columbus:
SCOTUS CENTRAL CATHOLIC JR/SR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 400, Location: 1554 18TH AVE, Grades: 7-12)
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nebugeater wrote:IF you don't ever look here you may like this read about Columbus of any other town for that matter.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Columbus-Nebraska.html

By the way there are three high schools in Columbus.

Copied from the link above

Public high schools in Columbus:
LAKEVIEW HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 309, Location: 3744 83RD ST, Grades: 9-12)
COLUMBUS HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 151, Location: 2200 26TH ST, Grades: 9-12)
Private high school in Columbus:
SCOTUS CENTRAL CATHOLIC JR/SR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 400, Location: 1554 18TH AVE, Grades: 7-12)
Thanks for that link. Funny, I happened to go down a street in town, in which I noticed that Catholic HS. That is exactly why I used the word "public" above, in fact. I already thought about this while in Columbus: I don't believe they were Catholic, and I knew him from public school, so I don't think he went to the Catholic school. I'm wondering what HS he did go to? What his life was like after he moved there? Where he is now? All that stuff. But, I'm sure I would find the typical: A wife and 2-3 kids. Bikes in the garage. Toys on the back lawn. :)
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I travel to Columbus every few weeks for work. I really like the feel of the place. There is a quaint old fashioned downtown, with a wonderful public square. Dusters is a really nice upscale-ish restaurant, and I do like their beers. There are at least two wonderful Mexican places in town, Burrito King and el Mezcal, which rival any similar place in Omaha or Grand Island. There are also a couple of wonderful old school bar and grill places I have tried. The large Mexican grocery and eatery on Hwy 30 is a place I frequent as well, as they offer a nice selection of Latin foods.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nativeomahan wrote:I travel to Columbus every few weeks for work. I really like the feel of the place. There is a quaint old fashioned downtown, with a wonderful public square. Dusters is a really nice upscale-ish restaurant, and I do like their beers. There are at least two wonderful Mexican places in town, Burrito King and el Mezcal, which rival any similar place in Omaha or Grand Island. There are also a couple of wonderful old school bar and grill places I have tried. The large Mexican grocery and eatery on Hwy 30 is a place I frequent as well, as they offer a nice selection of Latin foods.
Thanks for your entry and info. OK, so far I've learned about Dusters, Burrito King and el Mezcal. And, the Mexican grocery store & eatery. I "love me some" Mexican, too! (The spicier the better, imo.)

Yes, their downtown is nice and old-fashioned with neat lights lining the streets. I love that square, too.

I do want to travel back there soon. I like the feel of the place, too. When I was there, I got some pictures on their main highway strip, and they were the best "neon strip" type pictures I've ever gotten in Nebraska. They almost rival pictures I got down in San Antonio, on San Pedro Boulevard. However, Columbus' strip looks nicer & less-cluttered than San Antonio's main N-S boulevard. But, my point is: I don't feel Omaha or Lincoln or Fremont quite have that good of a "neon strip" look that Columbus has. Another aspect of the town is: It feels really far from Omaha (to me) when I'm there, but it is not THAT far. It is only 1.2 hours away. (It's about the distance from Omaha to Sioux City.) Another factor is: I almost feel like it feels larger than a town of 22,000 people (or so). It has around 4,000 people less than Fremont, but it feels larger to me than Fremont does. To me, it feels almost more like a town around 35,000 to 40,000 people. Anyways...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A photo shoot some 12 years ago:

eOmahaForums: Columbus, NE (1856)
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

My parents live in Columbus. They both grew up in Platte County and wanted to move there after my Dad retired since so many of their siblings live in the area. The bought a very nice home built in 1910 that sits on the northern edge of downtown (about 3 blocks away from the downtown square and only about a 5 block walk from Dusters).

It is a nice town and I always wish it was closer to Omaha (like in Cass County) because the 90 minute drive does make it a little further than a spontaneous drop-in place.

Here's a funny story that speaks a little to the nice pocket of urbanity that is downtown Columbus: My daughter was born in Burbank, CA and lived in the foothills north of Glendale. Both downtown Glendale and downtown LA were visible from where we lived, but our neighborhood itself was quite suburban. In 2010 we moved to La Vista into a very sleepy, closed-off residential area. My daughter was 6 at them time. We started visiting my parents at their house in Columbus and my Mom would take my daughter on walks through the little downtown area. After one of the visits, we were driving back to Omaha and my daughter became very wistful. She said one day she wanted to live "in the city" like Grandma and Grandpa do. It's all a matter of perspective I guess. My parents do live in a more immediate urban setting in their little burgh of 20,000 than my daughter has while living in a metro of over 10 million and one of nearly 1 million.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

It would be great if neighborhoods in Omaha could be clustered more closely around "town center" type mixed-use developments rather than simply have strip-mall type development along thoroughfares at the peripheries. The New Urbanist / Traditional Neighborhood Development (TND) Movements have tried to capture this, but there aren't many of those types of developments happening here, unfortunately.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GetUrban wrote:It would be great if neighborhoods in Omaha could be clustered more closely around "town center" type mixed-use developments rather than simply have strip-mall type development along thoroughfares at the peripheries. The New Urbanist / Traditional Neighborhood Development (TND) Movements have tried to capture this, but there aren't many of those types of developments happening here, unfortunately.
I've been wondering about Herb's TND on State Street, it's been a long time since we heard anything about that project.... I cant recall it's name right now.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I wonder what ever happened with Herb's plans for Lytham? On DOGIS it looks like he still owns the 160 acres NE of 168th & State St. and the house in the middle, although it's now getting to be surrounded by typical residential development on E, W, & S sides. ....sorry to wander off topic...
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

If you have kids I would recommend spending some time at their waterpark (Pawnee Plunge). They have the only surf machine in the state with the exception of swim trials next week. If you get thirsty waiting on the kids you can cross the street and stop at the Pawnee Bar for a $2.50 Duke (34oz beer). A normal beer on Columbus will set you back $2.25 or $1.50 if you can catch happy hour.

They are in the process of building a new High School by the new YMCA and wellness center. The Public High School should have around 1,300 students. Tuition at the three Catholic grade schools and high school will cost you around $1,800 per year.

Like other cities the downtown area has been hurt by Walmart. In the last few years they have given grants to bring the outside of these buildings back to the original look. The one negative I hear is that they do not have a Target to compete with Walmart.

For employment you will find that Becton Dickinson (BD Medical) and other manufacturing plants will be where a large percentage of people work. Next time you get a shot that needle most likely came from Columbus.

Overall it is a great city to raise a family with reasonable housing.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

edsas wrote:My parents live in Columbus. They both grew up in Platte County and wanted to move there after my Dad retired since so many of their siblings live in the area. The bought a very nice home built in 1910 that sits on the northern edge of downtown (about 3 blocks away from the downtown square and only about a 5 block walk from Dusters).

It is a nice town and I always wish it was closer to Omaha (like in Cass County) because the 90 minute drive does make it a little further than a spontaneous drop-in place.

Here's a funny story that speaks a little to the nice pocket of urbanity that is downtown Columbus: My daughter was born in Burbank, CA and lived in the foothills north of Glendale. Both downtown Glendale and downtown LA were visible from where we lived, but our neighborhood itself was quite suburban. In 2010 we moved to La Vista into a very sleepy, closed-off residential area. My daughter was 6 at them time. We started visiting my parents at their house in Columbus and my Mom would take my daughter on walks through the little downtown area. After one of the visits, we were driving back to Omaha and my daughter became very wistful. She said one day she wanted to live "in the city" like Grandma and Grandpa do. It's all a matter of perspective I guess. My parents do live in a more immediate urban setting in their little burgh of 20,000 than my daughter has while living in a metro of over 10 million and one of nearly 1 million.
Edsas: Thanks for sharing! That's neat that your parents even live in town, and you occasionally take a trip out there to visit family.

I know what you mean about a smaller town seeming more city like or "urban" compared to the suburban areas of large cities. I was even thinking along those same lines getting back to Omaha from Columbus, because our sprawling Omaha suburbs are built with a different mindset than an original NE town, like Columbus, was -- of course. There, in Columbus, the houses and apartments were built block-by-block, around the town's classy downtown area. Yet, in Omaha, I remind myself it was originally done that same way, too. But, like in any large city, that block/grid urban pattern stopped by the 1940's, and suburban sprawl began to take over. Towns like Columbus never saw that kind of growth or spread, so the town retains that "urban" feel more than much of the Omaha area, which has the classic pattern of suburban sprawl from 72nd Street westward. But, if Columbus kept growing on a much grander scale, like Omaha did, we know Columbus would have looked/felt like Omaha does today.

I took a drive out there again to Columbus, since my last entry. I had a great day, and talked with nice people in town. I also visited the Gavin Point Dam (Lewis & Clark Lake) up near Yankton as a day trip. That lake is huge & beautiful! I was impressed! On the way back, I passed through Norfolk & West Point & Fremont. On the way up, I went through Blair, Tekamah, and Herman, and Decatur, then to Sioux City, then over through Vermillion & Yankton (which is overall quicker than the way I took back).

I just have a better feel of how Omaha is situated in Nebraska now, or something. When I look west now to the Elkhorn, NE water tower, and I don't see anything but sky beyond it, my mind drifts off to Columbus now, and I fully understand now that the land drops down lower a good 150-200 feet beyond that water tower, and then generally following the meandering Platte River to the west/northwest, "Nebraska Life" is lived on a flat plain, on flat highways, on flat farms & farmland, and in flat towns. It's almost weird to me, that the rolling "hilly world" of Omaha is nonexistent just west/northwest of it, and for hours beyond it. When you come back to Omaha, you go up the ridge again (near Elkhorn), and Boom! You're suddenly back in the "hilly world" of Fort, Maple, Dodge, Pacific, Center, and 'L' and 'Q', and you see the Woodmen & the FNC in the far distance. It's just gives me a different & new perspective of Omaha, one I never had from I-80, coming back from Lincoln.
Last edited by RockHarbor on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

RockHarbor wrote:On the way up, I went through Blair, Tekamah, and Herman, and Decatur
My parents have a cabin in Decatur so I used to travel up that way all the time. Pop n Docs is a fun little bar/marina with some good food.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

GetUrban wrote:It would be great if neighborhoods in Omaha could be clustered more closely around "town center" type mixed-use developments rather than simply have strip-mall type development along thoroughfares at the peripheries. The New Urbanist / Traditional Neighborhood Development (TND) Movements have tried to capture this, but there aren't many of those types of developments happening here, unfortunately.
I know what you mean about those "new urban" developments, but there is something I dislike about how they break the traditional look of sprawl on satellite images of the city. For example, you see that "new urban" pattern in suburban Denver, suburban St. Louis, and I think even suburban Lincoln has an area like that.

I understand that they are trying to go back to the "good ole' days", but it just feels like it is forced, and people still don't really live the old-fashioned way still, even though their garage is now out back in an alley way, and they have a front porch and sidewalk leading to the street. Kids are still inside playing video games -- like in every other suburb. That sort of thing. I don't know. Do you think it really works?

I think it is nice to have at least one area for people to build a home in that type of old-fashioned design & setting if they really want it. But, I'm not sure if it really works, or changes anything. Ya know? I almost imagine a couple building a home in a "new urban" development, dreaming more about a lifestyle involving neighborly chats on the sidewalk, and kids hanging out on the front porch w/ glasses of lemonaide, but it doesn't still happen or pan out: Everyone is still on their smart phones & home computers, everyone is still playing video games, the kids are back in their rooms with the doors closed, and they all still don't know their neighbors that well. So, they sell their house, and move to a cul-de-sac, with a huge 3-car garage facing the street, the type of suburban development that was "bad", and they are just as happy, if not happier, than before. lol

Now, they are building more "town center" type shopping areas, and I do like that. I think of Zona Rosa down in the KC area.
Last edited by RockHarbor on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:On the way up, I went through Blair, Tekamah, and Herman, and Decatur
My parents have a cabin in Decatur so I used to travel up that way all the time. Pop n Docs is a fun little bar/marina with some good food.
That's so great to hear. Funny, because I loved Decatur!! I never knew that town was so cozy & cute! I thought the river & everything looked so nice & fun, and it looked like a great place for cabins & a riverside resort and small town fun! In fact, I've been planning to tell my family about it. I wanna go back sometime (even for the day)!
Last edited by RockHarbor on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Trips wrote:If you have kids I would recommend spending some time at their waterpark (Pawnee Plunge). They have the only surf machine in the state with the exception of swim trials next week. If you get thirsty waiting on the kids you can cross the street and stop at the Pawnee Bar for a $2.50 Duke (34oz beer). A normal beer on Columbus will set you back $2.25 or $1.50 if you can catch happy hour.

They are in the process of building a new High School by the new YMCA and wellness center. The Public High School should have around 1,300 students. Tuition at the three Catholic grade schools and high school will cost you around $1,800 per year.

Like other cities the downtown area has been hurt by Walmart. In the last few years they have given grants to bring the outside of these buildings back to the original look. The one negative I hear is that they do not have a Target to compete with Walmart.

For employment you will find that Becton Dickinson (BD Medical) and other manufacturing plants will be where a large percentage of people work. Next time you get a shot that needle most likely came from Columbus.

Overall it is a great city to raise a family with reasonable housing.
Thanks for your entry. That Pawnee Plunge looks so fun! I want to go!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I got to know Columbus well, when my kids were in marching band, it's got a classic, and still vibrant town square, lots of businesses. Millard North's former director was previously the Columbus High School band director, and he decided the school should go to their annual marching competition, which included a parade competition in the morning in downtown. Now, if you know anything about Millard North, you know it's the largest marching band in the state, with some 250 members, rivaling some university marching bands. It was always funny to watch all the small town bands march down main street Columbus in the parade competition, leading up to Millard North. Some of these bands were literally made up of only a dozen members.

Then the Mustangs would come marching down the street, eliciting looks of shock and surprise from the predominantly small town onlookers.

[youtube][/youtube]
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Big news about a new bio-based chemical plant being built in Columbus
http://biomassmagazine.com/articles/133 ... m-facility
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

RockHarbor wrote:
edsas wrote:My parents live in Columbus. They both grew up in Platte County and wanted to move there after my Dad retired since so many of their siblings live in the area. The bought a very nice home built in 1910 that sits on the northern edge of downtown (about 3 blocks away from the downtown square and only about a 5 block walk from Dusters).

Edsas: Thanks for sharing! That's neat that your parents even live in town, and you occasionally take a trip out there to visit family.

I know what you mean about a smaller town seeming more city like or "urban" compared to the suburban areas of large cities. I was even thinking along those same lines getting back to Omaha from Columbus, because our sprawling Omaha suburbs are built with a different mindset than an original NE town, like Columbus, was -- of course. There, in Columbus, the houses and apartments were built block-by-block, around the town's classy downtown area. Yet, in Omaha, I remind myself it was originally done that same way, too. But, like in any large city, that block/grid urban pattern stopped by the 1940's, and suburban sprawl began to take over. Towns like Columbus never saw that kind of growth or spread, so the town retains that "urban" feel more than much of the Omaha area, which has the classic pattern of suburban sprawl from 72nd Street westward. But, if Columbus kept growing on a much grander scale, like Omaha did, we know Columbus would have looked/felt like Omaha does today.

I took a drive out there again to Columbus, since my last entry. I had a great day, and talked with nice people in town. I also visited the Gavin Point Dam (Lewis & Clark Lake) up near Yankton as a day trip. That lake is huge & beautiful! I was impressed! On the way back, I passed through Norfolk & West Point & Fremont. On the way up, I went through Blair, Tekamah, and Herman, and Decatur, then to Sioux City, then over through Vermillion & Yankton (which is overall quicker than the way I took back).

I just have a better feel of how Omaha is situated in Nebraska now, or something. When I look west now to the Elkhorn, NE water tower, and I don't see anything but sky beyond it, my mind drifts off to Columbus now, and I fully understand now that the land drops down lower a good 150-200 feet beyond that water tower, and then generally following the meandering Platte River to the west/northwest, "Nebraska Life" is lived on a flat plain, on flat highways, on flat farms & farmland, and in flat towns. It's almost weird to me, that the rolling "hilly world" of Omaha is nonexistent just west/northwest of it, and for hours beyond it. When you come back to Omaha, you go up the ridge again (near Elkhorn), and Boom! You're suddenly back in the "hilly world" of Fort, Maple, Dodge, Pacific, Center, and 'L' and 'Q', and you see the Woodmen & the FNC in the far distance. It's just gives me a different & new perspective of Omaha, one I never had from I-80, coming back from Lincoln.
Omaha is definitely Nebraska's only major city built on top of hills. Many of Nebraska's "out-state" commercial centers are built in the Platte River valley. But, ironically, when I think of "out-state", I don't really think of the flatness. I grew-up in North Platte and Grand Island (with a brief 18-month layover in Longmont CO). Both towns are laid on flat terrain, but are very near some massively hilly country. North Platte especially, if it were the size of Omaha, would actually be hillier than Omaha. I do find Norfolk to be fairly hilly, but not on the level of Omaha.