2017-2018 Winter Storms

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

2017-2018 Winter Storms

Post by Brad »

Not really a big winter storm yesterday, but I was a bit surprised when I went down by Rosenblatt today. Everything was covered in Ice from about Bancroft south past I80, and then west along I80 to about 42nd street. The trees were all coated in ice, the signs had ice cycles hangning off them, the wires had ice and ice cycles. It was a beautiful sight with the sun hitting it. I wish I had time because I think there would have been some nice photos to be found in there.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: 2017-2018 Winter Storms

Post by iamjacobm »

So I am seeing between -18 and -20 potentially on New Years night. I wonder the last time we got that low here? Doesn't help when a bunch of people will be out drinking in that kind of cold.

I was in Casper, WY last December for work and it was -32 air temp, so cold it was almost numbing rather than feeling cold.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

iamjacobm wrote:So I am seeing between -18 and -20 potentially on New Years night. I wonder the last time we got that low here? Doesn't help when a bunch of people will be out drinking in that kind of cold.

I was in Casper, WY last December for work and it was -32 air temp, so cold it was almost numbing rather than feeling cold.
Last year it got down to -11 one night, but I can't remember any double-digit negative temperatures, but that could be a product of me not paying attention.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

iamjacobm wrote:
Was the wind blowing too? I lived and worked in Casper for 21 yrs. it got cold but the winter wind was worse.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sunday-Monday could bring Omaha's coldest temperatures in 15+ years

http://www.omaha.com/news/sunday-monday ... 0c96d.html
Nancy Gaarder / World-Herald staff writer wrote:On Jan. 4, 2010, Omaha had 17 inches of snow on the ground, the temperature bottomed out at 20 degrees below zero and wind chills dropped to 35 degrees below zero.

The next night, the temperature again fell to double digits below zero, this time to minus-16 degrees.

Omaha has gone a longer time — 17 years — since it has had a day as cold as Monday's forecast, said Barbara Mayes, meteorologist with the National Weather Service.

Monday's high is forecast at 1 degree below zero, and the last time Omaha's daytime high failed to climb above that was Jan. 10, 1997, she said.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I-35 Ames IA a few days ago

[youtube][/youtube]
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Wow! Everyone planning to drive on the interstate in snowy, low-visibility weather should watch that video first. It's unbelievable how over-confident some people are, driving so fast in those kind of conditions. Yet there is now a bill to raise the speed limit on the interstate in Nebraska.

The people who chose to head for the ditch had the right idea, although you never know what conditions you'll encounter there too...with steep embankments or other obstacles, in some cases.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Busguy2010
County Board

2018 Weather

Post by Busguy2010 »

WOW. It's currently thundering and raining 1/16th" to 1/8th" ice balls in Omaha.

I did a little more research and I found out this is technically sleet and it has happened because the upper layers of the atmosphere are above freezing, while the ground layer is well below freezing. The rain falls, and flash freezes before it reaches the ground.

But I'm still puzzled as to how it can thunder at 23 degrees!
Brad
City Council

Re: 2018 Weather

Post by Brad »

Busguy2010 wrote:But I'm still puzzled as to how it can thunder at 23 degrees!
Scroll down to where it says "Lightning electrification" on the link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning