Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Plattsmouth planning commission gives Walmart thumbs down

Post by eomaha »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha World Herald wrote:One by one, commission members said Wal-Mart's request to rezone land in the Osage Ranch subdivision to general commercial was out of whack with the city's comprehensive plan.
I cannot find this term in my zoning books or legislative journals.
What makes something 'out of whack'?
Do they mean the Wal-Mart people were all on crack? Maybe it was a typo.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wal-Mart Plans

City works with future development

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/2341711.html
While plans to build a Wal-Mart in Plattsmouth are moving forward, some people are thinking about moving out of the area.

Niki Stark and her family could soon be looking out their home's window at a view of a Wal-Mart Super Center, but she says they're not opposed to it.

"We're not really opposed to it," said Stark. "My husband's like 'Wal-Mart is Wal-Mart, they're going to be everywhere anyways.'"

The Stark's heard about the proposal before they bought their house just outside Plattsmouth city limits. But their neighbors don't feel the same way.

Rich and Melissa Hasty are thinking of selling their home in Osage Ranch.

"We're worried about the trash," said Melissa Hasty. "And I'm really, really worried about the noise at night with the semi's pulling in to unload."
"We're worried about the trash," said Melissa Hasty.
What kind of trash is she talking about? :wink:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Moment of truth for Plattsmouth Wal-Mart

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2120284
PLATTSMOUTH, Neb. - Last August, an overflow audience spilled outside City Hall to implore officials to reject plans for a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

At the time, Wal-Mart's request to rezone 17 acres near the Osage Ranch subdivision met a chilly reception from the city's Planning Commission and later from the City Council. The project did not conform to Plattsmouth's 2004 comprehensive land-use plan and was rejected.

Over the fall and winter, however, the community apparently warmed up to Wal-Mart's proposal, and empty seats became common at public meetings.

In November, the Plattsmouth City Council voted 5-2 to change the comprehensive plan to pave way for the project at the city's south entrance. On Thursday night, the Plattsmouth Planning Commission recommended unanimous plat approval and voted 8-1 to rezone the land.

At 7:30 tonight, Wal-Mart will ask the City Council to issue final approval for its rezoning and preliminary plat requests. Approval could allow the giant retailer to begin construction.

"I never really thought the community was against it," said Lori Schneider, president of the Plattsmouth State Bank, whose family is selling the land to Wal-Mart. "I'm happy with the direction things are going at this point."

Wal-Mart wants to open the 100,000-square-foot general merchandise store in 2007. At the corner of U.S. Highway 75 and Osage Ranch Drive, the Supercenter would also sell lawn equipment and groceries and have a garden center.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wal-Mart gives up on Plattsmouth
Omaha World Herald wrote:Wal-Mart has scrapped its plans to build a store in Plattsmouth. The company has decided to walk away from a proposed 100,000-square-foot store, citing market uncertainty and rising construction costs.

Horn said the company's decision not to proceed with the project was unrelated to local opposition to the store. Plattsmouth Mayor Paul Lambert said city personnel were very disappointed.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This story certainly went full circle didn't it..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

No kidding... 8/05 to 9/06 without a ragefest between me an JoeGlow? We dropped the ball on this one... ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Big E wrote:No kidding... 8/05 to 9/06 without a ragefest between me an JoeGlow? We dropped the ball on this one... ;)

-Big E
Now that you mention it..That's true too..

:wink: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

Plattsmouth is better for this. Now if they would only enact similar guidelines as Omaha By Design. That is a cool town. I would hate to see sprawl destroy it once the Highway 75 widening is finished. Here's to hoping that the people of Plattsmouth feel the same way.