$156 Million in Public Use Construction for Grand Island

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

UNMCStudent
Home Owners Association

$156 Million in Public Use Construction for Grand Island

Post by UNMCStudent »

The Grand Island Independent has a story re: the building boom Grand Island is seeing this year, which include the $25 million 6-7,500 seat Heartland Events Center/Arena, a new (attractive) patient tower at St. Francis Medical Center, a $7 million expansion of the public library, and $30 million for a new jail/public saftey center. The article also notes $34 million in commercial development through november of this year (of note 2 new Super Wal-Marts, a Best Buy).

If this development continues, it sounds like Grand Island might not be a bad place (...never thought I'd say back when I was in High School)
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Wow, I had no clue about this new arena they're building, thats awsome! I actually think the inside looks better than the MAC, in my opinion. Good for central Nebraska!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

That arena has an ugly facade on the outside, but I am definitely liking what I see inside the arena! Looks really good for GI.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

My concern with their convention center is that I heard that the private donor's goal is to steal the Tri City Storm away from Kearney. He couldn't get his own franchise so his goal is take the one from Kearney. (Although I heard it is unlikely to happen.) How does that benefit that area of the state. Don't get me wrong...competition is good but this guy is paying to build an arena and he can't think of anything else to do with it but put hockey in it. Are there no other sports? Granted I think Kearney is going to have a basketball team as well so that is likely not an option either. Wouldn't the Tri City area be better off with 3 different sports teams rather than just moving the existing 2 teams around. I don't know it just seems silly.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Should we be jealous? It’s a rhetorical question….
15-17, 26, 32
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

GI has quite the development boom going on right now... it's nice to see central Nebraska forging ahead.
UNMCStudent
Home Owners Association

Post by UNMCStudent »

Wow - two USHL teams w/in 45 min of each other in an area of only ~100,00 total. I think this would probably end w/ the Storm in Kearney going bankrupt - b/c not only does G.I. have about 10,000 more people than Kearney, but it also has a higher surrounding population (noteably Hastings ~23,000, but also Aurora ~4300, and Central City ~3000, and St. Paul ~2300) come to mind - all w/in about 20-30 min. drive of G.I.). Plus the shopping/dining in Grand Island is superior to what you'll find in Kearney.

All in all, I wouldn't mind seeing Kearney set back a little - they have been(at least when I lived in G.I...and probably still are) the major obstacle to building a true regional airport in central ne (would only support it if it were located in Kearney), they tried to have UNK named The University of Nebraska - Kearney , not @Kearney (I know...just a matter of semantics but it struck me as a lliittllee arrogant for Kearney STATE)....and worst of all...they think that ugly Archway of theirs is some kind of National Monument
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Yeah, that's funny that you think GI has better retail and dining options. The people in Kearney will tell you that their city is better. Ahhh sibling rivaling... I know Kearney better than GI so I would biased to say Kearney is better but they do have the college so from a demographics perspective they would likely have as many options as GI if not more. I woud assume that business care more about demographics than population. ....but like I said I don't know GI that well.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

..but to second you J Juston....both Kearney and GI have a tremendous building boom going on. Good to see!!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

midtown charlie wrote:Yeah, that's funny that you think GI has better retail and dining options. The people in Kearney will tell you that their city is better. Ahhh sibling rivaling... I know Kearney better than GI so I would biased to say Kearney is better but they do have the college so from a demographics perspective they would likely have as many options as GI if not more. I woud assume that business care more about demographics than population. ....but like I said I don't know GI that well.
Oh boy as of late GI is sure taking off I doubt that Kearny has that lead any more.
15-17, 26, 32