HyVee & Starbucks headed for GI

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I'm not real familiar with the grocery business in GI, although I know they have 2 Super Wal-Marts on opposite ends of town.  I can tell everyone in GI that Hy-Vee is a very smart retailer, that was laughed at when they first entered the Omaha market, which was already saturated with grocery chains, including the monster local Baker's chain.  Now, some 20 years later, they are on top of the heap.  Most Omaha Hy-Vee's have a lot of events to keep the neighborhood coming back, such as wine tastings, BBQ cooking demos, etc.  The company is a very smart retailer.  They will quickly carve out a large chunk of the GI market, I predict.  Smaller, older area stores will either have to upgrade their product, or will shrivel up and blow away in the prairie wind.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Um, I'm sure that I meant GREATER

:yes:
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Well, here is the latest on HyVee. It is scheduled to open on February 12th. No word yet on whether it will be a 24hr location or not, I am guessing it will be since that is their trend. It will include all the bells and whistles we have known HyVee to have (ie. Olive bar, cheese bar, italian bar, salad bar, etc.) It will also include a Caribou Coffee kiosk! Well, I looked into this and since Starbucks which is in many other Hyvee locations, HyVee never signed a contract with Starbucks, so HyVee has the freedom to choose which coffee provider they want, even if it is a competitor to some of the other stores.

Also, anyone know about what is going in between Coldstone and Jimmy John's...I heard yesterday either a Papa Murphy's or a Papa John's...it seems funny to bring another Papa Murphy's to town only a few blocks from its other location, but also, not sure if Papa John's would reopen after having been closed down for several years due to lack of business...
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

I don't know, I'll look into it myself. As for Papa Johns not having much business, I could never really figure out the real reason. Personally, I didn't like their sauce at all, but the rest of the family loved it. Their previous location looked good on paper, between the malls, but in reality, was all but invisible from the main streets around it.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I stand corrected...the new pizza place going up in between Coldstone and Jimmy Johns is Papa Murphy's. Are they just moving locations or are they doing that well that they need another location 1.8 miles away? I am guessing they are just moving. However, with the former Sun Mart area nearly totally disbanded, what's next for Grand Island....a new parking lot perhaps? Or maybe just another abandoned building...

Oh, walked by HyVee tonight..the place looks great! They even have an organic section, I am quite excited about this. The good news settled in that the other day I made what may be my last grocery trip to Wal-Mart...woohoo!