Candleshoe
Human Relations

HyVee & Starbucks headed for GI

Post by Candleshoe »

Feb 15, 2006
Hy-Vee and Starbucks coming to Grand Island
By Tracy Overstreet
tracy.overstreet@theindependent.com

Hy-Vee and Starbucks are both coming to Grand Island.
They will be part of the Grand Corners development at Old Potash Highway and Webb Road, said Mark Tanguay, the managing principal of Edgemark Development, a land development firm in Oak Brook, Ill.

"Hy-Vee will be next to T.J. Maxx and Kohls and take up the rest of the south side of the shopping center," Tanguay said.

Along with a 60,000- to 70,000-square-foot store, Tanguay said, Hy-Vee is planning a convenience store and fueling station that will be along Highway 281 and in line with the existing Perkins Restaurant.

To the north of the new Hy-Vee convenience store and fueling station will be a strip of small shops anchored by a 2,000-square-foot Starbucks coffee shop, complete with drive-through.

"The Starbucks will be open by September," Tanguay said.

He had no timeline on the Hy-Vee store but did said the Iowa-based company has already purchased the land.

A call to Hy-Vee's corporate headquarters in West Des Moines, Iowa, was not immediately returned.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Cool, good for you guys. That's some really nice development!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

It's always good to hear good development news from areas outside Omaha and Lincoln. I'm always pretty curious as to how things are going in places outside the metros.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Great news Candleshoe... and glad to see you made it to the forum!

Looking forward to hearing more from GI!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Starbucks opened this past Tuesday in a new strip center located across from the new Kohls. It was a bit coolish for the outside tables to be in use, but the inside traffic seems to be doing just fine.

The HyVee that was rumored to be in the same location is still just a rumor. People familiar with the situation say that HyVee is notorius for sitting on land for years till they get around to building.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Man, I see Starbucks drive-throughs everywhere but LA.  The city that invented car culture and no drive-thoughs here?   :?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Awesome. The slightly bigger Ames, Iowa, where I goto school, has neither a Kohl's nor a stand alone Starbucks. Grand Island continues to impress.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Awesome. The slightly bigger Ames, Iowa, where I goto school, has neither a Kohl's nor a stand alone Starbucks. Grand Island continues to impress.
Starbucks will be opening it's first free standing store on Lincoln Way in Ames in early 2007.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

The Starbucks in Grand Island has been a great addition! Apparently Hy-Vee will begin construction on its site this spring! The area is definitely growing and I Hope to see a lot more growth over the next couple of years! Anyone heard anything on Target? I hear there is one going in near Stuhr Museum.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Word on Target is (rumor mode *on*) that Target and a multiscreen theatre are among the planned tennants at the all new Ponderos Pointe shopping center at the corner of US 281 and US34 (better known around here as the Henry Fonda Memorial Hwy), which would be directly west of Stuhr Museum. As the story goes, it'll be an outdoor "Lifestyle" center, similar to South Point in Lincoln and Village Point in that one town east of Lincoln :)

Further word... no dirt is being turned till they get a certain amount of commitments from prospective tenants.

Haven't heard a "Boo" about the center since early summer.

(rumor mode *off*)
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I haven't heard of the multiscreen movie complex. Although, Kearney announced last week that they would be building a new multiscreen complex near the Big Apple in hopes to improve that area. A new mall is definitely needed in Grand Island. Connestoga Mall has seen its day and it has passed.
  I have heard some rumors on Best Buy relocating to the new mall on Hwy 34. Who knows??!![/img]
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Connestoga Mall has seen its day and it has passed.
Oh, I wouldn't write up the Conestoga's obit just yet. they still have major anchors in Sears, Pennys, Younkers and Dillards, plus Best Buy and their occupancy is sitting close to 90%. That's better than the 80% or so  of just a few years ago. The new owners out of Denver have pumped some major bucks into the facility, the most noticeable being the all new ceramic floor tile that had to cost way more than I want to think about.

The Imperial Mall in Hastings is on it's last legs. It still has Herbergers and K Mart, but the rest of the mall can't be more than 30% or so occupied. The Hill Top in Kearney is probably somewhere around 60%. The old Grand Island Mall has been largely converted into a regional strip mall. Most of the tenants have front doors and take up from front to back of the section of the old mall they now occupy. It was sitting about 80% occupied till Hobby Lobby moved to the old WalMart and Big Lots pulled out. Be intertesting to see if they rebound.

I have heard some rumors on Best Buy relocating to the new mall on Hwy 34. Who knows??!!
I won't say it won't happen sometime, but Staples closed because Best Buy bought out their lease. I would suspect there's a few years left on the lease for Best Buy to have done the major remodel on that part of the mall.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

I thought Best Buy just opened there? Did they remodel the space they're in to fit the current Best Buy design concept?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

The GI Best Buy has been open for a bit over a year. The remodel, from a Staples to Best Buy wasn't horribly radical, other than creating a mall entrance  where Staples only had outside access, plus new paint, floor and appointments. The style of the Best Buy seems pretty traditional to me, other than the multiple entrances, but it's a smaller store. The camera/video/music and TV departments seem as well stocked as a full size store, but maybe a bit more snug of a fit.. The computer and software departments are compromised a bit and the appliance department is very token.

I haven't been in an Omaha or Lincoln Best Buy in probably three or four years... so I'm not aware of any other design concept than what I'd seen then.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

The GI Best Buy has done a great job in keeping up with the times. I do agree that it is a bit snug though. As for remodeled stores in Omaha and Lincoln, I can't speak for Lincoln, but the store near 72ND and Dodge was just remodeled a few years ago, and then there is one in Village Point Mall which is similar to the one in GI.
   What surprises me though, is I believe this is the ONLY Best Buy between Lincoln and Denver. So, it pulling its customer base from a very large area, rather than taking over a lease like it did, I would think a new bigger building would treat them better.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

rather than taking over a lease like it did, I would think a new bigger building would treat them better.
I agree. But, Best Buy doesn't generally have stores in cities the size of GI. this may have been a "test". It would have been pretty brazen to build a full size stand alone, and if this was the only alternative... I'll take it.
:yes:
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Speaking of new businesses and growth...Jimmy John's in GI officially opened for business today! Haven't been in there yet, but I am sure I'll get there soon.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

From what I can tell from the picture in the link below, they've done what they could to integrate the current Best Buy design concept into the GI store as best they could having moved into a store that used to be a Staples. Not that their design is anything too unique...basically just a bunch of gray carpet and shelves with white walls. I've never seen them do a mall anchor. Anyway, the reason I bring all this up is I've always thought of Best Buy as a great store for a city to have due to the fact that the bulk of their merchandise is pretty expensive and, thus, must say something about the economics of the town. I also hope such a store can breathe new life into Conestoga as it seems to have gotten a little lost in time.

http://www.shopconestogamall.com/images ... 148872.jpg

I'm quite tired of Nebraska only being a 2 metro state and really want Grand Island to grow into the state's third metro. I've been following these Grand Island posts with great interest hoping all of these projects will amount to faster growth both economically and population wise and that there will finally be significant urbanity for central Nebraska. I would think and hope that gaining metro status would give Grand Island a bolder dot on the map.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Heck, they've got as many Sonic's as DSM... that must say something right. :D
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

really want Grand Island to grow into the state's third metro.
GI's gonna have to get on the stick and add some serious jobs and maybe a bit more annexation.
The US Census gives GI a 2005 estimate of around 44,500. using that rate of growth from 2000, and presuming that the estimate could realistically be a bit low, we'd be looking at a 2010 census of around a low of 46,500 to maybe a high estimate of 48,000. Annexation would easily bring in another 1,000 or so just in the hidden lakes neighborhoods on the southeast side. They've resisted that area before, partly due to the infrastructure costs, but also because maybe 30-40% of the area even would consider being annexed. It's an upper middle class area and very vocal.

However, there are nearly 1,500 housing units in various stages of planning at the moment. About half of them have been given the green light by the city.

One other consideration.... the 50,000 don't actually have to be within city limits... so if there are a couple of thousand on the edges of town, it may be but a formality by the time 2010 gets here.

I know this was brought up in an earlier thread, but with GI and Hastings being less than 20 miles apart, border to border, plus having Doniphan and Hansen, plus three good sized unincorporated areas between them... would (or should) the joint cities be considered for a combined metro?
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Candleshoe wrote:
I know this was brought up in an earlier thread, but with GI and Hastings being less than 20 miles apart, border to border, plus having Doniphan and Hansen, plus three good sized unincorporated areas between them... would (or should) the joint cities be considered for a combined metro?
Not now, but soon.  Once G.I. makes it over the 50,000 hump, I picture the emergence of a four-county metro area of Hall, Hamilton, Adams and Clay (perhaps by the 2020 census) that is about 30% larger than it is now. The current population of those four counties equals a hair over 100,000.  Add in 30,000 over the next 13 years (2,300 per year -- a lot, but doable), bump GI up to 50,000 and Hastings to about 27,000 and that could be a nice little metro for central Nebraska.  77,000 in the core cities, 130,000 for the metro as a whole.

An optimistic projection, but not at all far-fetched.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

edsas wrote:An optimistic projection, but not at all far-fetched.
You know, I have to agree with this. I've kind of thought that Grand Island is ready for a population boom anyways. The one thing that holds it back is retaining a lot of its youth within the city. I have spoken to the Chamber of Commerce a couple of times on it, and its their focus as well to provide jobs to the kids out of high school and/or out of college. Right now Grand Island, is loosing a lot of these to the larger metro areas (ie Omaha, Lincoln, etc) But, with the hospital opening up this year as well as a lot of the projected growth, I believe that Grand Island has the potential to hit that 50,000 fairly soon. So yes, not all that far-fetched.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

gisbuxfan wrote:
edsas wrote:An optimistic projection, but not at all far-fetched.
You know, I have to agree with this. I've kind of thought that Grand Island is ready for a population boom anyways. The one thing that holds it back is retaining a lot of its youth within the city. I have spoken to the Chamber of Commerce a couple of times on it, and its their focus as well to provide jobs to the kids out of high school and/or out of college. Right now Grand Island, is loosing a lot of these to the larger metro areas (ie Omaha, Lincoln, etc) But, with the hospital opening up this year as well as a lot of the projected growth, I believe that Grand Island has the potential to hit that 50,000 fairly soon. So yes, not all that far-fetched.
I completely agree. I graduated from GISH in 1992. Of my closest friends from high school, four of us live in Los Angeles, one lives in Lincoln, one lives in Austin, TX one lives in Germany and two live in Grand Island. We all kind of knew growing up that, as much as we liked GI as a place, there just wasn't anything for us there after high school.  As for the two friends who stayed in Grand island (after going to college elsewhere), one owns his own business and the other works for Principal Insurance, otherwise he might not be there. Grand Island needs more companies like Principal to help stop the youth drain. If you're not a professional of some sort, the vast majority of jobs there are service or manufacturing oriented. GI needs more good-paying white collar office jobs.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

According to the US Census:

Grand Island  Micropolitan area is Hall, Howard and Merrick counties, est 2005 population is 70,000
Hastings is Adams and Clay counties and is estimated at 39,000.

Current combined population is 109,000 with a net average annual gain over the last 5 years of 600-700.

Adding Hamilton county would be a natural. That adds 9,500 to the mix.

One report, by UNL Business Research released in 2002, suggests the projected population in 2020 for the GI micropolitan is 84,000
Hastings micropolitan would be 42,400
That's 126,000 combined, plus Hamiltons 10,760.

http://info.neded.org/stathand/bsect12.htm
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

edsas wrote: I picture the emergence of a four-county metro area of Hall, Hamilton, Adams and Clay

You know, I like this idea of the emergence of the four county metro area, but I am not quite on board with it yet. The great thing about showing yourself as a larger metro area, is that you are more attractive to developers and growth is inevitable. Plus, it puts you on the map. I remember when Omaha and Lincoln tried the same thing this past year. However, it did not work out for them. They sent a committee to Washington to seek this merger out, but came back empty handed. So, again, I am eager to see the growth, but a little skeptical about the larger metro area.

http://geography.about.com/b/a/189475.htm
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

But the Grand Island micropolitan area already is Hall + Hamilton.  All that would need to happen is for enough Clay County residents to commute to Hastings to form another micropolitan area, then combine the two.

That About.com snippet is written a little cynically. While I'm not surprised that the census bureau won't combine Omaha/Lincoln, the author's "facts" are misleading.  Omaha and Lincoln are not 60 miles apart. It's 55 from DT to DT, but the edges of the two cites are only 30 miles apart. And there are not "numerous counties" between them. There are the corners of two counties --Sarpy and Cass-- (which are already part of the Omaha metro) between them.

Edit:  I just set them straight.   :yes:
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

But the Grand Island micropolitan area already is Hall + Hamilton.  All that would need to happen is for enough Clay County residents to commute to Hastings to form another micropolitan area, then combine the two.
You know, I like this idea of the emergence of the four county metro area
Apparently my earlier poste is invisible to mere mortals. The US Census Bureau already decided who's in what micropolitans. It's

Grand Island  Micropolitan area is Hall, Howard and Merrick counties, est 2005 population is 70,000
Hastings is Adams and Clay counties and is estimated at 39,000.

Hamilton County is in neither, but if the two were combined, it would be a logical addition.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Ahh, I guess you're right. :)

I saw your post but ignored it because I remember reading an article when the micropolitan area was first established that said it was Hall and Hamilton. I can't find the article, unfortunately. But every webpage that comes up now lists it the way you do. The ironic thing is I remember thinking when I read the erroneous article, that I was surprised Hamilton would be included before Howard and Merrick!   :lol:
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

it is true...about the about.com post. I remember reading a really good article about the omaha/lincoln thing in the OWH. I just couldn't find it. Sorry about that, the link was the closest I could come.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Hy-Vee has broken ground finally and work has begun!

http://www.theindependent.com/stories/0 ... ee17.shtml
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Does anyone know anything about the Hy Vee going up on the corner of Old Potash and Webb? Like how big will it be, or what other Hy Vee locations is it comparable to? I have heard a lot of people say it looks a much smaller than other stores.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

From Forbes.com:  
Hy-Vee Food outlets range from 40,000 to 83,000 square feet. Most new stores are 80,000 square feet in size and are a combination food and drugstore format.
The GI store has been announced at between 60,000 and 70,000 square feet according to the building permit reports. No mention of a drugstore at this location yet. Also, no word on the convenience store or gas station that were mentioned in the original post.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Thanks for the update shoe.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:No mention of a drugstore at this location yet. Also, no word on the convenience store or gas station that were mentioned in the original post.

If you look on the Hall County Assessors website, you can see that the plot of land on the north side of Perkins, just south of Jimmy Johns, is owned by HyVee. So, I wonder if that will be the service station if there is one.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

So now the latest is that the GI HyVee will be 80,000 square feet, NOT have a gas station and may include an in-store Starbucks (about 150 yards from a free standing Starbucks). You know you're becoming a real city when you can see one Starbucks from the one you're currently sitting in :)

We'll see what really and truly happens, when it really and truly happens.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

The large Hy-Vee that was built in Fremont a few years ago, and the ones currently being built in Omaha are amazing by building design standards..
Whether it's a 65,000 or 80,000 sq ft building (not much of difference), I promise that it's presence will be felt for a while...

I lived in Vegas for about a year, and that city is about as cookie cutter ugly as you can get!! Hy-Vee is not like that at all..

It's amazing what companies can build here in Nebraska and for how low cost, people on the coasts do not understand what they are missing!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I was in GI yesterday passing through for a bit and took a couple of drive by shots of the new area that has been mentioned here.

Starbucks

Jimmy John's and Cold Stone on the other end of the same strip.

Across the street with the never ending NOW HIRING sign, Kohl's

Next to That is TJ Max

And last is the HyVee under construction

Didn't look like the typical HyVee contractor doing the building.  All the trailers had contractor names on them I have not seen around a HyVee before.  They do not have a sign up that I saw yet either saying that they are coming soon.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

When is HyVee scheduled to open? It's got to be getting close!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Don't remember where I heard it, but seems like the HyVee is supposed to open in late January.

Here's the progress as of this morning:

The foundation looks complete for the HyVee convenience store over by Perkins. No idea on its planned opening date.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

the GI HyVee store has its own website now...

http://www.grandislandhy-vee.com/index.asp