New Public Safety Facilities construction in GI

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Candleshoe
Human Relations

New Public Safety Facilities construction in GI

Post by Candleshoe »

The Grand Island Police Department and Hall County Sheriff Dept will be sharing a new home soon. Work has begun on a new two story facility on formerly undeveloped land on the east side of Grand Island. The new facility will triple the available square footage for the offices from 14,000 to 45,000. Move in day is expected in late spring of 2007.

Meanwhile, across the parking lot that's yet to be built, will be the new Hall County Corrections Center. A $22 million facility with 296 beds. It should open in 2008.

A stones throw further east is the proposed location for the new Fire Training Center, which is in it's discussion stages. It would be available for state-wide training.

Construction of the new Fire Station Number One is well underway just west of Fonner Park on land donated for the project by Fonner.

Finally, construction has begun on the new Nebraska Law Enforcement Memorial http://www.nememorial.org/index2.htm located at the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center & State Patrol Academy on Grand Islands northeast corner.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

I'll try and get onto the property when construction people aren't around and the access road is closed. For now, here's a senseless random drive by shot of the law enforcement building. the pic below doesn't do the front of the building any justice (no pun intended). :;):  The jail is hard to get a decent pic of, as there's lots of equipment and vehicles in the way, preventing a good look all at once. There are no shoulders along the road to stop, either.

I know... I'll just climb up on BNSF's viaduct tracks... that should be a sweet view!