Nebraska's Scenic Highways

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Nebraska's Scenic Highways

Post by Coyote »

Think Nebraska's roads are all dull? Think again
Omaha World Herald wrote:The state agency will hold a celebration just east of Elkhorn on Thursday to commemorate a new sign system for the nine scenic byways in Nebraska, including the Lincoln Highway.

More than 455 signs, some new and others to be attached to existing signs, will provide additional information about the particular scenic byway the driver is on.

Mapped out in 1913, the Lincoln Highway travels through the nation's midsection, connecting New York City with San Francisco. Elkhorn leaders hope eventually to peel away pavement in town to uncover more of the Lincoln Highway's original brick.

The Department of Roads selected Nebraska's scenic byways in 1999 for their historic, natural, cultural, recreational and archaeological features.
I couldn't get the map to pop up on their site so I can't see which roads this article is detailing. Maybe somebody with the hard copy could reply. Or maybe I have to actually buy a paper besides the Sunday edition.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OK so I went to my corner store and got one.

1) Heritage Highway Hwy 136 - from Brownville to Edison
2) Lewis & Clark Scenic Byway Hwy 72 - Omaha to S. Sioux City
3) Outlaw Trail Hwy 12 - S. Sioux City to Valentine
4) Bridges to Buttes Hwy 20 - Valentine to WY
5) 385 Gold Rush Hwy 385 - NE Panhandle SD to CO
6) Sand Hills Journey Hwy 2 - Grand Island to Alliance
7) Lincoln Highway Hwy 30 - Blair to WY
8 ) Loup Rivers Hwy 11 & 91 -
9) Western Trails Ogallala to Henry
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

If you scroll down on this page from America's Byways you find some great info on these byways. You can also submit your own pictures from them. I love this website.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Great link w8ing. I book marked it. Thsnks for the tip!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

And of course, don't forget the only National Scenic Byway in the area, the Loess Hills Scenic Byway.

The Loess Hills National Scenic Byway
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Federal scenic status sought for Nebraska Highway 2
Omaha World Herald wrote: A drive through Nebraska's Sand Hills ought to rank right up there with motoring along the California coast, through the Red Rocks of Arizona or over the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. That's the thinking of a Broken Bow-based group that is applying to make Nebraska Highway 2, from Grand Island to Alliance, the state's first federally designated scenic roadway.

The late Charles Kuralt, who was CBS News' "On the Road" reporter, once called Highway 2 one of the most scenic drives in America. The National Geographic Society devoted 20 pages to the Sand Hills roadway in a 1985 book, "Exploring America's Scenic Highways."  Last summer, Rand McNally and Harley-Davidson teamed up to dub Highway 2 as one of the top 25 motorcycle rides in the nation.

To qualify, the Highway 2 group will have to show that the roadway has natural, historic, recreational or archaeological significance. Sandhill cranes on the east end of the roadway, the hand-planted national forest at Halsey and the unspoiled character of the Sand Hills ought to be enough, Christiansen said. A decision is expected in one year.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I absolutely love the Highway 2 drive. I've done it too many times to count and it never gets old.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I also love it!

I love the |expletive| out of Nebraska's diverse geographic regions and scenery!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

Lincoln Highway

'L' on post in elkhorn
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Great updates today UNOstudent.  I sent you a PM a while back, doesn't look like you got it yet.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

look at my ny pics. i forgot to do it today.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Sand Hills group push for scenic label
A month after they were denied a coveted national designation, the directors of the Sandhills Journey Scenic Byways are still at work, hoping to find another way to become the state’s first national scenic byway. . .

The group has not yet received an official reason for its rejection from federal officials, but several board members said they’re certain it’s tied to the opposition the national designation has faced in western Nebraska’s Grant County. . . .
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan