Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Nebraska's "Amana Colony"

Post by Coyote »

I am going to have to visit this place next time I'm out in G.I.:

Banking on farm history
Omaha World Herald wrote: Drive too fast and you may not notice the bright red barn, white farmhouse and rough-plank bunkhouse along the highway connecting Henderson to Interstate 80.

They are part of an effort by this Mennonite farming village to establish a tourist trade centered on their religious heritage and history, hoping to emulate Iowa's Amana Colonies and the Amish - distant cousins of the Mennonites - in Pennsylvania and Indiana.
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

Oooh. Excellent. I'll have to do this for one of my Saturday photog day trips.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The article points out, rightfully so, that this is definitely an area that the people of this area can capitalize on for tourism (cultural heritage tourism). I'll be interested to see how this site materializes - definitely not an "Amana Colony", but I don't think that's something they should be striving for as a comparison either.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I decided to go here today and was very fortunate. I met Vern Friesen in his studio who sculpted "Water" as shown here. Come to find out his sister is in charge of the Heritage Center - so he gives her a call (the place is only open on Sat/Sun 1-4) and she gives us a private tour of the place.
More pics are going here: Henderson, NE

1911 Barn and 1900 Farm House

1874 Immigrant House replica - where 200 Mennonites from Ukraine lived after moving to Nebraska.

"Water" by Vern Friesen

midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.