Air service in GI/Kearney

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Grand Island's Central Nebraska Regional Airport now has only eastbound service to Omaha and Kansas City, instead of it's former Westbound only service to Denver. Is this...

Poll ended at Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:54 am

Better?
36%
No better, no worse?
9%
Worse?
45%
Too early to tell?
9%

Total votes: 11

Candleshoe
Human Relations

Air service in GI/Kearney

Post by Candleshoe »

Essential Air Service contracts recently were awarded that knocks out westbound Denver service from and to Grand island in favor of Air Midwest service to Omaha and Kansas City, sharing planes that originate in McCook. Meanwhile, Kearney retained Great Lakes service to and from Denver, non-stop. Great Lakes crew, staff and service facilities that were based in GI will move out in October. Great Lakes recognizes the value in the Denver connections and has announced that they'll convert the flights from Kearney to 30 seat planes from the previously used 19 seaters, resulting in planes with a flight attendant, beverage carts and restrooms. GI's Air Midwest flights will likely remain 19 seaters. http://www.theindependent.com/stories/0 ... ey17.shtml

Question, is having service to Omaha and Kansas City at the cost of losing all service to Denver a step up, no change, or a step back?

In other news, GI's airport just finished a major upgrade...
http://www.theindependent.com/stories/0 ... rt17.shtml
49r
Home Owners Association

Post by 49r »

It's a step back, because from DIA, practically everywhere in the US is a direct flight. (One connection)

From Omaha, you're gonna have to connect again unless your destination is a hub city like Chicago, Dallas, or Denver. Same thing for flying out of MCI. (Two or more connections, usually)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I'm probably in agreement with 49r here..

From a travel convenience/efficiency standpoint, it's a step back..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Absolutely a step back. Denver is a hub for several airlines. I am surprised by that decision.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From the GI Independent piece:

'Instead, at the request of the Grand Island community, eastbound flights will be provided out of the Central Nebraska Regional Airport.'..

That is curious..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

From the GI Independent piece:

'Instead, at the request of the Grand Island community, eastbound flights will be provided out of the Central Nebraska Regional Airport.'..

That is curious..
An explanation...
In the EAS application, popular demand was for a combination of East and West service, with the two desired destinations being Denver and Minneapolis. Alternatives were discussed that included Denver/Kansas City and Denver/Omaha. What GI never expected, after bids came in and were presented to the feds, was that a dual hub would not be considered. The Great Lakes dual hub bid wasn't an awful lot more than the one chosen, but it came down to $$$.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

In most cases, KC will get people where they want to go, at least domestically, and I'm sure plenty of central Nebraska movers/shakers would like flights into Omaha.

On the plus side, more traffic for Eppley! :)
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

Am I missing something or couldn't this be considered a win/win situation? Increased flights to OMA/MCI, and larger planes heading to DIA after the short drive down I-80 from G.I. to Kearney.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Candleshoe wrote:The Great Lakes dual hub bid wasn't an awful lot more than the one chosen, but it came down to $$$.
I knew it..And I was going to mention the suspected $$$ issue in an earlier post..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

Am I missing something or couldn't this be considered a win/win situation? Increased flights to OMA/MCI, and larger planes heading to DIA after the short drive down I-80 from G.I. to Kearney.
Exactly. At first I thought they were only going to have service to Omaha, but again, aside from international flights, KC will service most of their single stop needs, and there's no denying the increase in traffic which Eppley will likely see as well.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

There is certainly 2 distinct ways to look at this one..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

I really should have included this information at the very beginning. Consider these times and fares. Some of the local teeth gnashing is the flight times.

Mesa Airlines dba/ US Airways Express, twice daily to Omaha -- departing at 5:55 a.m. and 2:45 p.m. and offer once daily departures at 2:35 p.m. to Kansas City. One-way fares are $59 to Kansas City and $49 to Omaha.

Sample roundtrip fares:
Washington Natl $338
Phoenix $348
Las Vegas $370
LAX $345
Chicago $227
Denver $266
Boston $345
London $731
Cancun $586
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

That dosen't seem half bad..I'm coming around to this change being more of a positive..For GI and for Eppley..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!