Des différences entre les articles sur Nebraska au Wikipédia

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Des différences entre les articles sur Nebraska au Wikipédia

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

So...

I was perusing the French version of Wikipedia tonight, and thought I would read about Omaha and Nebraska in French, figuring it would just be a translation of the English article and that I could just read it aloud for pronounciation practice.  Well, what I found was that the French article on Nebraska is COMPLETELY different and pretty much focuses the majority of the article on Nebraska's political conservatism and Republicanism (blowing it out of proportion in my opinion).

To quote the article:
Le Nebraska est un des états les plus conservateurs et les plus républicains du pays, mais aussi l'un des moins riches.
Translation:

Nebraska is one of the most conservative most republican states in the country, but also one of the poorest.

Here's the link.  

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska

Even if you don't speak French, I think you'll be able to see what I mean just by looking at it.  Just look at part 3. "Politique".  If you're so inclined, you might try plugging some of those phrases into a translator to see what I'm talking about.  Then, compare the French article to the English article.  It's crazy.

Anyway, I just thought it was so strange that it would be a COMPLETELY different article in another language, and such a slanted, biased one at that.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Damn French. :gun:
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

In some ways I doubt that it was an actual Frenchie who wrote the piece.  Who knows.

I should submit a new article, even if I just translate all the stuff from the English one.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Wow!

Nebraska has some of the per-capita poorest counties in the country. But those are all Sandhills ranch counties with populations of 600-900 people. Generally speaking, Nebraska is not poor at all.

I think wikipedia gets a bad rap for innaccuracies, but in this case, it deserves it.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

edsas wrote:Wow!

Nebraska has some of the per-capita poorest counties in the country. But those are all Sandhills ranch counties with populations of 600-900 people. Generally speaking, Nebraska is not poor at all.

I think wikipedia gets a bad rap for innaccuracies, but in this case, it deserves it.
Exactly what I was thinking.  And I LOVE Wikipedia.