Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: Cabela's - World's Foremost Outfitter

Post by nebugeater »

Fed Regulators have signed off on thepurchase per 10/11/ news

http://www.1011now.com/content/news/Fed ... 54883.html
Cabela's says federal regulators have ended their investigation into Bass Pro Shops' $4 billion deal to buy the Nebraska-based chain.

Cabela's said Wednesday that the Federal Trade Commission signed off on the deal earlier this week.......................
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Well its official. Purchase is done, HQ operations will be in Springfield, MO.

The future of Sidney is going to be very interesting. Epitome of a company town.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Been a tough decade for Nebraska-based HQs. I really don't see how this will do anything but decimate Sydney. :(
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

edsas wrote:Been a tough decade for Nebraska-based HQs. I really don't see how this will do anything but decimate Sydney. :(
Agreed.

Interestingly, Bass Pro has no issues with their new HQ’s remaining in much smaller Springfield, MO.. But yet a much larger metro like Omaha, does not have enough talent to sustain Pepperjax Grill HQ’s.. So new ownership just had to move their HQ’s to Denver, Colorado.. I already called BS on the reasoning for that move..

But I digress, very sad for the city of Sydney, NE indeed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bass Pro begins detailing what Cabela's operations will stay in Sidney; no word on cuts

http://www.omaha.com/money/bass-pro-beg ... 639ba.html
Paige Yowell / World-Herald staff writer wrote:All of Cabela’s retail stores in Nebraska — in Sidney, Kearney and La Vista — also will remain open, the document said, as will its credit card operation in Lincoln.
IT, “significant” Accounting, distribution center, credit card center, and all call centers to remain.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Bass Pro begins detailing what Cabela's operations will stay in Sidney; no word on cuts

http://www.omaha.com/money/bass-pro-beg ... 639ba.html
Paige Yowell / World-Herald staff writer wrote:All of Cabela’s retail stores in Nebraska — in Sidney, Kearney and La Vista — also will remain open, the document said, as will its credit card operation in Lincoln.
IT, “significant” Accounting, distribution center, credit card center, and all call centers to remain.
Just read this online. For now it sounds like it will be a decent representation in Nebraska. Could have shut it all down.

I like the part ( to paraphrase) where they will consolidate all the Sydney Operations to one building and offer to lease the other to someone who wants to bring new business to Sydney for $1 a year effectively donating the building use to Sydney. At least that is how I understood what was reported.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bass Pro has added Cabela's to their sponsorship of Ryan Newman's #31 Chevrolet Camaro. Bass pro is one of 3 primary sponsors for the #31 so it won't be there every race.

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

It looks more and more to me like they are going to maintain both brand names for at least a while. Not what I expected.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Anyone else notice a lot more tv advertising for Cabelas since the change?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Anyone else notice a lot more tv advertising for Cabelas since the change?
Pretty normal action to try to pad the bank account with sales and promotions before the changeover. Time Warner was discounting TV and Internet packages like crazy before the Spectrum takeover.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Candleshoe wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:Anyone else notice a lot more tv advertising for Cabelas since the change?
Pretty normal action to try to pad the bank account with sales and promotions before the changeover. Time Warner was discounting TV and Internet packages like crazy before the Spectrum takeover.
The take over is done.

I have been in the store too in La Vista and it seems to me anyway that inventory is up including the Cabala's branded items.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

nebugeater wrote:
Candleshoe wrote:
The take over is done.

I have been in the store too in La Vista and it seems to me anyway that inventory is up including the Cabala's branded items.
Cabela's seems to be primarily located in the Appalachia, the Midwest, West, and Western Canada while Bass Pro is more Southern, Northeastern and California focused. I wonder if it will basically just be a sort of Carl's Jr./Hardee's type situation.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

It's not unusual for companies to maintain two brands for several years after an acquisition, and then merge the two. There are also companies like Kroger who will run purchased stores under the old name, but you can tell from private label products, etc, that it's a Kroger store.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/nearly-cabel ... 075e5.html
About 300 Cabela's employees in Sidney have taken Bass Pro's buyout offer as the outdoors retailer winds down the headquarters operation in Nebraska. They will leave the company this week.

Nearly 400 more Cabela's workers also "volunteered to exit," Bass Pro said Thursday, but the company is postponing any action on those people until it determines its needs and what opportunities could be available in Sidney or elsewhere.

For those people, the company said it will take an "extended period of time" to evaluate its personnel options; if after that time, any of their positions end up being eliminated, Bass Pro still will give them their full buyout package, the company said in a memo given to The World-Herald.
The article also mentions that 500 jobs will remain Sidney. Apparently Bass Pro is running this add offering the vacated space to a company for 1 dollar a year.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://www.omaha.com/money/businesses/ ... 1c262.html
A Canadian company has made a deal with Bass Pro Shops to buy one of Cabela's corporate buildings in Sidney — a deal that could provide 150 or more local jobs.

The sales price and other financial details about the MMP Enterprises purchase have not been released. MMP is a logistics management company based in Toronto.

Get the latest development, jobs and retail news from the desk of business editor Brad Davis, delivered straight to your inbox every Monday morning.

Sidney economic development director Melissa Norgard says MMP wants to have the sale wrapped up within 90 days and begin hiring. Norgard also says the number of MMP jobs in Sidney could grow as the company develops the business model for its first expansion outside of Canada.
Nice news for the town. Still a lot of work to do.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

iamjacobm wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:29 pm https://www.omaha.com/money/businesses/ ... 1c262.html
A Canadian company has made a deal with Bass Pro Shops to buy one of Cabela's corporate buildings in Sidney — a deal that could provide 150 or more local jobs.

The sales price and other financial details about the MMP Enterprises purchase have not been released. MMP is a logistics management company based in Toronto.

Get the latest development, jobs and retail news from the desk of business editor Brad Davis, delivered straight to your inbox every Monday morning.

Sidney economic development director Melissa Norgard says MMP wants to have the sale wrapped up within 90 days and begin hiring. Norgard also says the number of MMP jobs in Sidney could grow as the company develops the business model for its first expansion outside of Canada.
Nice news for the town. Still a lot of work to do.
Apparently MMP has changed their mind.
SIDNEY, Neb. (AP) — A Canadian company has canceled its plans to buy Cabela's former distribution center and create 300 jobs western Nebraska.

Sidney officials say MMP Enterprises is no longer moving forward with its plans in Sidney, Nebraska.

https://www.omaha.com/money/businesses/ ... 10054.html
nativeomahan
County Board

Re: Re: Cabela's - World's Foremost Outfitter

Post by nativeomahan »

I was at the mall down here in PV Sunday, enjoying a DQ Blizzard, and chatting with a few customers. One of the locals had on a green Cabela’s T-shirt. I should have asked where he got it. I have no idea if there are Cabela’s outlets in México.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Bass Pro moves about 120 more jobs out of Sidney to Springfield MO. This leaves around 280 jobs there for now. Cabala's had around 2,000 employes there at one point.

https://www.omaha.com/money/bass-pro-sh ... eadlines#1
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:18 am Bass Pro moves about 120 more jobs out of Sidney to Springfield MO. This leaves around 280 jobs there for now. Cabala's had around 2,000 employes there at one point.

Another good reason to stop shopping at Cabelas. Used to be a local brand, now its not and a lot of people in Sydney are going to have a hard time selling their homes.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:51 am
nebugeater wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:18 am Bass Pro moves about 120 more jobs out of Sidney to Springfield MO. This leaves around 280 jobs there for now. Cabala's had around 2,000 employes there at one point.

Another good reason to stop shopping at Cabelas. Used to be a local brand, now its not and a lot of people in Sydney are going to have a hard time selling their homes.
I agree that there are big issues in Sydney with home sales but the Company is still US-based as well as midwest-based. Not a reason to stop shopping at Bass Pro / Cabellas in my opinion. On top of that Cabellas chose to sell out
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nebugeater wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:43 am
bigredmed1 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:51 am

I agree that there are big issues in Sydney with home sales but the Company is still US-based as well as midwest-based. Not a reason to stop shopping at Bass Pro / Cabellas in my opinion. On top of that Cabellas chose to sell out
The family and the other big shareholders made bank. Everyone else is hung. Sorry, for me, I am doing other companies.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Very interesting story:
The death of Sidney, Nebraska: How a hedge fund destroyed 'a good American town'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/paul-singer- ... DxRWeyZlyk

I don't normally surf any of the left or right new network websites, but this was shared on FB and its interesting to see. The video is 11 min long.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:13 pm Very interesting story:
The death of Sidney, Nebraska: How a hedge fund destroyed 'a good American town'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/paul-singer- ... DxRWeyZlyk

I don't normally surf any of the left or right new network websites, but this was shared on FB and its interesting to see. The video is 11 min long.
“I hope Paul Singer is proud of what he did,” Tim O’Connell, a local lumberyard owner, told Tucker Carlson Tonight. “I don’t know how he sleeps at night.”

On a |expletive| huge pile of cash, apparently. At long term capital gains tax rates, at that.
Stable genius.