Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Stargazer
County Board

Wildcat Hills

Post by Stargazer »

Big Horn sheep being re-introduced into Wildcat Hills

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38& ... nd=6317975

I sure hope that poor thing has been tranquilized
More than 500 bighorns are believed to inhabit the breaks on the north side of the Missouri River, and more than 400 live on the south side. Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Commission biologists say the sheep aren't spreading into new areas, and they fear that overpopulation could trigger a disease outbreak.

To reduce the number, Montana gives sheep to other states. Nebraska took 49 from the south river breaks herd in 2005, and those sheep were released in the Pine Ridge between Chadron and Crawford.

Nebraska biologists were surprised when they were offered Montana sheep for the second time in three years. Nebraska last week received 20 sheep from the north river breaks herd and 30 from the Sun River herd west of Great Falls.
Eleven sheep - three rams and eight ewes, each believed to be pregnant - stepped one at a time from the trailer and blinked in the bright sunlight after spending nearly 20 hours in the darkness. Each took two or three tentative steps on Nebraska soil, then bolted across the valley and up the sides of the steep buttes.

Terry Brown, on whose ranch the sheep were released, watched with pride as the sheep bounded effortlessly up the slopes.

"It means we're turning the calendar back 100 years to when the bighorn sheep were here," Brown said. "Look at them up there. That's the characteristics of bighorns. The way I hear it, they like to go awful high and stay in the breaks."

One ewe, rather than follow the other sheep up the slopes north of the trailer, swung south and headed toward Sheep Mountain, a distinctive butte named for the bighorns that once bounded along its slopes .

A pack of coyotes opened up, and the eerie howls and yips caused the ewe to change course and head back toward the bluffs to the north.

Coyotes and bighorns. Brown said things are back to normal in the Wildcat Hills.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This is FANTASTIC!!!

I'll have to make another trip out to Chadron sometime and try to capture a sighting.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Run wild, run free

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090823/S ... /708239888
DAVID HENDEE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:SCOTTSBLUFF, Neb. — It's not a new state park. It's not a new hunting preserve.

But hikers, birders, photographers, hunters and anglers will soon have more than 20 square miles of new places to walk, camp, hunt or fish in one of Nebraska's most ancient landscapes.

Beginning Saturday, more than 13,000 acres of rugged canyon land, wetlands and riverland will open to the public in western Nebraska's rocky Wildcat Hills and along the lazy, braided North Platte River.

It's the single-largest opening of wild lands to free public access by a private organization in Nebraska history.
Long story, check out the link.
Last edited by Brad on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Brad wrote:Run wild, run free

DAVID HENDEE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:SCOTTSBLUFF, Neb. — It's not a new state park. It's not a new hunting preserve.

But hikers, birders, photographers, hunters and anglers will soon have more than 20 square miles of new places to walk, camp, hunt or fish in one of Nebraska's most ancient landscapes.

Beginning Saturday, more than 13,000 acres of rugged canyon land, wetlands and riverland will open to the public in western Nebraska's rocky Wildcat Hills and along the lazy, braided North Platte River.

It's the single-largest opening of wild lands to free public access by a private organization in Nebraska history.
Long story, check out the link.
I think it's time for Brad, Coyote, and I to do another road trip!
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am always up for a weekend trip.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Brad wrote:I am always up for a weekend trip.
BTW, your URL did not work for me.  I found the article here:

"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

That pine-dotted, grassy, rocky Black Hills region is so neat and rustic, including those Wildcat Hills.  Thankfully, it is not too far to go.  That's cool they are reintroducing those bighorn sheep to the region.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Moose spotted in W. Nebraska

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110728/N ... w-nebraska
Omaha World-Herald wrote:A moose is again on the loose in western Nebraska.

Observers report that a roving moose has taken up summer residence in the Wildcat Hills south of Gering. According to Bob Cox, a local realtor and rancher, his cattle first spotted the animal early Sunday morning.

"The bulls started bellowing, and I looked out to see what the commotion was," Cox said. "Here comes a moose down the hill."
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

A Møøse once bit my sister ...
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

almighty_tuna wrote:A Møøse once bit my sister ...
LOL!!!!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

You realize the way that would be pronounced is Mehhhse right?

:lol:
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Axel wrote:
You realize the way that would be pronounced is Mehhhse right?

:lol:
I'll let you take that one up with Terry Gilliam.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nebraska-bound Canadian bighorns

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120208/N ... r-nebraska
Omaha World-Herald wrote:The World-Herald has been in western Canada this week with the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission on the capture of the state's fifth herd of relocated bighorn sheep.

On Tuesday, wildlife experts at the Luscar Mine in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies west of Edmonton, Alberta, captured five rams and 36 ewes. They loaded the animals into four livestock trailers and rumbled Wednesday for the American border.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:Nebraska-bound Canadian bighorns

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120208/N ... r-nebraska
Omaha World-Herald wrote:The World-Herald has been in western Canada this week with the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission on the capture of the state's fifth herd of relocated bighorn sheep.

On Tuesday, wildlife experts at the Luscar Mine in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies west of Edmonton, Alberta, captured five rams and 36 ewes. They loaded the animals into four livestock trailers and rumbled Wednesday for the American border.
Outstanding.  The Doll sheep at Ft Rob are a sight to see.  I imagine that these are going to be something in a couple of years.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bighorns, elk get tracking collars in high-flying roundup via copter

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130226/N ... via-copter
David Hendee WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The goal is to help re-establish stable populations of the elk and bighorns.

“Our primary objective is to see what we've got with these herds to help us manage them better,” said Todd Nordeen of Alliance, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission wildlife manager in the region.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

NEBRASKA's Wildcat Hills

Post by RockHarbor »

First off, I love that rugged, western-sounding name: "Wildcat Hills." A unique transitional state between the Midwest and the West, Nebraska really has some rugged scenery on its western end. Makes sense: Way out there, one is moving away from the Great Plains into the U.S.'s western region. Any Nebraskan is pretty much aware of Chimney Rock and Scottsbluff rising from the state's landscape. However, I'm not sure everybody knows of the Wildcat Hills region, out that direction. Ponderosa pines, rugged rock formations, and spiky yuccas all contribute to that western landscape feel. One doesn't need to cross into Wyoming or Colorado or South Dakota's Black Hills to feel the allure of the West.

Here's a website: http://heartlandprideoutfitters.com/cam ... cat-hills/

That's one thing I think is exciting about Omaha that Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Des Moines, Chicago, and Indianapolis don't feature: It teeters on the edge of the West. That's why Omaha feels a tiny bit more "dusty" and "cowboy" and "wild" to me than even Des Moines -- kinda like Oklahoma City feels in a way. The city is far enough east to have plenty of lush greenery, yet the green farmland quickly unravels into High Plains ranchland (grasses, yuccas, lizards, ect.) not even that far west of Omaha.

Anyways, just celebrating the unique beauty that is Nebraska. I appreciate my homestate's unique beauty more now than I did growing up. Back then, it was more of an immature "This isn't Colorado" mindset. Now, I wouldn't want it to be Colorado. It's Nebraska.

Another beautiful pic of the Wildcat Hills region: Image
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Brad
City Council

Re: Wildcat Hills

Post by Brad »

Another Fire in the Wildcat Hills:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wildfire ignites in Banner County, Nebraska
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wildfire mostly contained in Nebraska Panhandle
3,738 acres have burned in Banner County

SCOTTSBLUFF, Neb. (KNEP) - Firefighters have been battling a wildfire in the Nebraska Panhandle since Tuesday afternoon. All mutual aid were called in the area of County Road 61 in Banner County to assist in a large wildfire around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday. As of Wednesday morning, the wildfire is mostly under control but officials are concerned with the area next to Wright’s Gap Road. About 15-16 volunteer fire departments and 50-60 personnel are assisting in the operation, according to Region 22 Emergency Manager Tim Newman. 3,738 acres has been burned so far based on over head mapping.

This is still a developing story and we will have more details as they come in.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Smokey Fire burns 28% containment 4,000 Acres

SCOTTSBLUFF, Neb. (KNEP) - Firefighters have been battling a wildfire in the Nebraska Panhandle since Tuesday afternoon. All mutual aid were called in the area of County Road 61 in Banner County to assist in the Smokey Fire. About 15-16 volunteer fire departments and 50-60 personnel are assisting in the operation, according to Region 22 Emergency Manager Tim Newman. Banner County declared an emergency and has requested state resources. Erratic winds and a temperature inversion trapping smoke near the ground, are some of the obstacles facing firefighters in the 3,700-acre Smokey Fire in Western Nebraska.

Incident Commander Tim Grubbs, fire chief for the Banner County volunteer fire department, said he is concerned for potential erratic fire behavior that could occur when the inversion lifts. “Firefighters from nearly 30 departments worked through the night to combat the Smokey Fire,” Grubbs said. “The many air assets fighting this fire along with those firefighters on the ground are working tirelessly to get this fire under control.” Grubbs reported they are working on establishing fire containment lines around the entire fire perimeter but do not yet have a percentage of containment. He also reported that Wright’s Gap Road is closed for traffic and asked that people stay out of the area. Grubbs also thanked the public for their generous support of the volunteer firefighter’s efforts. Donations are being coordinated by the Firefighter Ministries. Any additional needs will be listed on the Banner County Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057241159793. This is still a developing story and we will have more details as they come in.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Smokey Fire 100% containment over 4,000 acres burned

SCOTTSBLUFF, Neb. (KNEP) - The Smokey Fire is now 100% contained with 4,348 acres burned. The weather over the weekend helped with containment levels and all Banner County and McGrew Fire trucks have been released and no other assets are on scene. There is still some smoke coming from the containment line and Banner County will continue to do periodic patrols in the area. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.