Seven Wonders of Nebraska

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Seven Wonders of Nebraska

Post by Coyote »

The Seven Wonders of Nebraska are wonderful to see
Lincoln Journal Star wrote:But since a new Seven Wonders of the World list is in the works, why not award some accolades of our own? The challenge: Name the Seven Wonders of  the Cornhusker State. Offering no specific criteria — could be natural or manmade — we asked the question. That said, a few Nebraska landmarks rose instantly to the top. Seven, to be exact.

1. Chimney Rock

2. State Capitol

3. The Sandhills

4. Memorial Stadium on game day

5. Nebraska waterways (Platte and Niobrara rivers)

6. Ashfall Fossil Beds

7. Migration of sandhill cranes
OK - so I will beat everyone to the punch. We need to replace #4 with a new Wonder. How about the Qwest Center when Creighton plays  :roll: . But seriously. What would be a better Wonder of Nebraska?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Larry the Cable Guy ponders seven wonders
Lincoln Journal Star wrote:1. Runza Restaurants: Paris has the Louvre, we have Runzas. Who needs France?

2.  The Waco Grain Elevators: I haven’t seen such architecture wonders since  the Louisville grain elevators.

3. The Apple Pie at the Beatrice Sale Barn Cafe: It’s so good they actually coax cattle into trucks using a fresh piece of apple pie.

4. That Big Empty Glass Church on I-80 Between Lincoln and Omaha: I don’t know what it is or how to get to it, but I have to include it as a wonder because for the last two years my wife and I wonder what the heck that is when we drive by.

5. The Nebraska Farmer: They feed the world and keep everyone alive. Enough said.

6. Nebraska Cornhuskers in any sport.

7. The Cartoon Marmaduke in the Lincoln Journal Star: Marmaduke hasn’t been funny since 1973 and I “wonder” why it is still in the comics.  
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

car henge?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Well Downtown compared to anything in Nebraska is a wonder but the Old Market specifically.
DTO
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

That LJS list sucks (wait, did we expect anything from the LJS to not suck?). It's like they just picked up Zagat's guide to stereotypical Nebraska sites.

What, no Sandhills, no Chadron State Park, no Ft. Robinson State Park, no Toadstool National monument. Aren't "journalists" (I use quotes because of the LJS) supposed to do research?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Swift asked:
What, no Sandhills,
Um, the Sandhills were number three on their list.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Seven Wonders of Nebraska

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote: What would be a better Wonder of Nebraska?
How about the Henry Doorly Zoo?..Or the 10 day atmosphere of the College World Series??..The Old Market???

Oh wait, they couldn't possibly make a Nebraska 'wonders' list..They're too Omaha..

:roll: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Candleshoe wrote:Swift asked:
What, no Sandhills,
Um, the Sandhills were number three on their list.
Whoops! Maybe I should have put "Gin & Tonic" instead.  :dizzy:  :what:  :sly:  :thumb:
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
How about the Henry Doorly Zoo?..Or the 10 day atmosphere of the College World Series??..The Old Market???

Oh wait, they couldn't possibly make a Nebraska 'wonders' list..They're too Omaha..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Yeah, Hastings will get a spot on that list for the invention of kool-aid before anything in Omaha will.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

bradley414 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Yeah, Hastings will get a spot on that list for the invention of kool-aid before anything in Omaha will.

:lol:   :lol:  :lol:

I'm from Nebraska. I believe that says it all. (From that stupid state song)
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Haha.  Nice, D'Shawn.

In addition to the list Bob (Swift) provided (but excluding the Sandhills since they made the list, as they DARN well should have) I'd say, Smith Falls, Scott's Bluff, Joslyn Art Museum, the zoo (already been mentioned, I know)...

And OF COURSE, the soon-to-be "wonder" of Nebraska and Iowa, the Missouri River Pedestrian Bridge!!!

I say, why limit it to SEVEN wonders?  That's so arbitrary.  :)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963