RAGBRAI News

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

RAGBRAI News

Post by icejammer »

This is just lame, lame, lame.  And another example of bicyclists being treated as second-class citizens on public roadways...

Crawford County bans RAGBRAI
The Crawford County Board of Supervisors passed a resolution Tuesday banning RAGBRAI from using the county's roads. . .

Assman stated the county roads are maintained to meet standards related to vehicular travel and not bicycle events.

"Simply put, Crawford County's position is that we have met the test of providing safe roadways for "intended" users. That said, the issue then becomes the "permissive" use of Crawford County roadways by participants in the RAGBRAI event."

The resolution stated the secondary roads are not designed to meet the specific standards related to bicycle travel and constitute an unacceptable risk to participants in RAGBRAI and events of like kind and nature.

It goes on to state that the use of the roads for such events puts the county at risk for future litigation and prohibits their use for RAGBRAI and any other similar event. . . .

Crawford County's decision could impact neighboring counties as organizers plan next year's route.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I think the proposed ban is probably related to the suit that was settled recently.  Personally I don't think it was the county's fault, but I wasn't on the jury.

In a letter to T.J. Juskiewicz, RAGRBAI director, Crawford County Engineer Paul Assman stated the county recently reached a settlement with Betty Ullrich, whose husband Kirk died after falling off his bike during the 2004 bike race across Iowa.

Ullrich alleged the county was negligent in not properly maintaining Crawford County Road E16. Kirk Ullrich's bike allegedly struck a centerline joint in the middle of the road, causing the fall. The county did not admit negligence in offering the $350,000 settlement.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Oh, without doubt, this is in response to the lawsuit.  From my recollection of the incident, the rider was partially at fault for not riding right and for riding at an excessive speed downhill, but...if I were county engineer, I don't think I would particularly want exposed expansion joints more than wide enough for a bike tire to fall into either....
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Assman?  What the...

For the love of your children, add another letter to your last name. Anywhere!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

FWIW, it's pronounced Az-man, not like how it looks.

Looks like other counties will follow suit (which is just pure BS).  At least a few people seem to have their heads on straight in this matter...

Others ponder banning RAGBRAI
Area county supervisors are taking a close look at Crawford County's decision to request that RAGBRAI no longer use its county roads for the annual bike ride across the state.

Monona County Board Chairman Stanley Skow, whose county is just west of Crawford County, said he wouldn't be surprised if all of Iowa's other 98 counties passed similar measures.

"We were watching closely to see what happened in this case," he said. . .

Pottawattamie County Board Chairman Lynn Leaders said he did not anticipate the issue would be on the board's agenda anytime soon.

"I am not sure about it," he said. "It isn't anything we have discussed, but we probably will talk about it among ourselves. It's not something we need to decide right away."

Leaders said the issue might be a broader one.

"Are we liable if an individual is riding a bike and hits a crack and falls? Our roads are maintained for vehicles, not bicycles." He said he would hate to see the annual bike race fold.

Monona County Supervisor Lester Nordacker said his board would probably look at the issue. But he said he wouldn't vote to keep the ride out.

"Are we going to have a lawsuit every time someone falls down?"

He said riders sign a waiver and should realize there are risks involved. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

icejammer wrote:FWIW, it's pronounced Az-man, not like how it looks.
Kind of like Mr. Az-we-pay.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

not riding right and for riding at an excessive speed downhill,
but the county still got stuck with $350,000  -- they probably could have used that money to fix the joint.  :D

Of course it might have only been one small area and those touring bike tires are pretty narrow
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Boy, talk about thumbing their nose at Crawford County...the first two nights in towns bordering the county!

2008 ride will start in Missouri Valley
The map is set, and eight communities have been given the chance to see more than 10,000 bicycle riders in their cities this summer. It's an annual event held in Iowa since 1973.

For cycle enthusiasts, that could only mean one thing: RAGBRAI! RAGBRAI is the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa, the longest, largest and oldest touring bicycle ride in the world.

This year, it will be held July 19-26, and the first two stops are in Missouri Valley and Harlan. . .

In addition to Missouri Valley and Harlan, other cities that will host RAGBRAI riders overnight include Jefferson, Ames, Tama-Toledo, North Liberty, Tipton and Le Claire.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Still time to get your 1-day passes!  And plenty of bike-related fun at the various towns along the way...

RAGBRAI kicks off in M.V. Sunday
The 36th annual Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa will begin in Missouri Valley Sunday and end in Le Claire on Saturday, July 26, with the route opening at 6 a.m. each day. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Hurrah!!!

Officials drop fight to block bicyclists on county roads
A battle between bicycle enthusiasts and Iowa counties over the right to ride on county roads appears to be over.

The Iowa State Association of Counties has dropped its push for state legislation and county ordinances aimed at regulating bicycle riders, said David Vestal, the association’s lawyer. Concessions by The Des Moines Register involving the Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa addressed the issue, he explained. . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Re: RAGBRAI News

Post by Brad »

All the RAGBRAI staff resigned today.

RAGBRAI staff: Handling of Carson King controversy among reasons for resignations

https://www.kcci.com/article/ragbrai-st ... e/29476940#
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Brad wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:58 pm All the RAGBRAI staff resigned today.

RAGBRAI staff: Handling of Carson King controversy among reasons for resignations

Good! Actions have consequences.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

damonhynes wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:07 am

Sounds like the Register stepped in it with both feet and then smeared it around some.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:39 am

Sounds like the Register stepped in it with both feet and then smeared it around some.
Yep, and I bet if you asked their editorial board even now they'd be blaming their customers--anyone but themselves.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

damonhynes wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:45 pm
bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:39 am

Yep, and I bet if you asked their editorial board even now they'd be blaming their customers--anyone but themselves.
No doubt.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Surge of public art adds energy to downtown Cedar Rapids

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) — As artist Janson Rapisarda put the finishing touches on a mural on the side of Hall Bicycle Company, bicyclists pumped their pedals, speeding by his work on the trail that cuts through downtown Cedar Rapids. Rapisarda, known as CERA, has painted a two-story mural marking the 50th anniversary of RAGBRAI — the Register’s Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa — next summer. It also commemorates the local bike shop’s 125th year in business in 2023. The project is one of several new additions this year to the public art collection in Cedar Rapids.

The Cedar Rapids Gazette reports that as the urban core shakes off COVID-19’s toll on downtown life, the uptick in public art is sparking energy in the heart of the city — helping to make Cedar Rapids a visual arts destination, celebrate the community’s identity and provide points of interest for visitors. A public art master plan adopted by the City Council this spring is guiding the efforts to prioritize public art as an element of place-making and a way to capture the characteristics that make Cedar Rapids unique. The plan considers the city’s efforts to elevate public art as well as the private sector’s role in expanding the presence of art in the community.

“The last five years, we’ve verbalized our commitment to investing in public art and now we’re starting to realize the fruits of those labors,” said council member Ashley Vanorny, who sits on the council’s Development Committee and is a vocal proponent of public art. “It really takes people deciding that it’s going to be a priority for it to start becoming one.” From murals to sculptures, the plan envisions improving cross-cultural understanding and connecting people through public art, no matter the medium.

The plan’s key goals are:

- Continue to enhance and broaden public art throughout Cedar Rapids
- Encourage local and regional artists to create public art
- Cultivate partnerships to support public art
- Create a sustainable administrative and funding structure
- Implement a maintenance plan for the current collection and future additions
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Route announced for 50th Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

An Iowa state-wide bicycle ride is returning for its 50th year. The Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI) recently announced its route for its next ride beginning this July. Eight Iowa towns are featured in the state-wide bike ride, including Sioux City, Storm Lake, and Carroll in western Iowa. The exposition begins July 22 in Sioux City and riders will stop overnight in the other seven towns throughout the 500-mile race, eventually reaching Davenport in eastern Iowa. The route includes a combined 16,549 feet in elevation as bicyclists cross the state. The annual event sees roughly 15,000 bicyclists participate. According to RAGBRAI, the event is the oldest, largest, and longest multi-day bicycle touring event in the world.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RAGBRAI: Southwest Iowa gets the first three stops on the massive bicycle ride

RAGBRAI is taking a southern route this year and the first three stops are in Southwest Iowa. Glenwood, Red Oak and Atlantic are all overnight stops on the bike ride that draws thousands of cyclists to the state.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Full RAGBRAI route announced:
Silver City prepares to host more than 100 times its population for breakfast

SILVER CITY, Iowa (KMTV) — The full route for RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa) was announced on Thursday morning. All the small towns that will host riders as they pass through on the way to overnight stops now know they have to start planning to host thousands of cyclists. Silver City is the first breakfast stop on the ride.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I've signed up for RAGBRAI this year, my first. Should be an interesting experience.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

almighty_tuna wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:48 am I've signed up for RAGBRAI this year, my first. Should be an interesting experience.
Good luck! its a toll on the body between the endless miles and the endless beers lol.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

almighty_tuna wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:48 am I've signed up for RAGBRAI this year, my first. Should be an interesting experience.
Isn't this summer's route the largest cumulative elevation climb they have ever had?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Louie wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:08 pm
Good luck! its a toll on the body between the endless miles and the endless beers lol.
Haha, thanks. I've got a buddy who pesters me about it every year after he completes it and I finally gave in. We've done some long rides together before, several jaunts of 150mi over two days, so I'm not going into it completely green.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:29 pm
Isn't this summer's route the largest cumulative elevation climb they have ever had?
That's what I've heard. I've been lifting over the winter and now that the weather is turning gorgeous will scale that back to 2x/week and put more time in the saddle. Hopefully the combination of the two will help me push through the hills. The first two days are only 40mi/ea though, so that will be a nice ease into the routine before we get trout slapped with an 84mi, 4,500ft day on Tuesday.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:29 pm
16,000 feet from what I’ve seen. Mt. Kilimanjaro equivalent
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Of course what goes up inevitably gets to come back down.
Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

We have a team that is on its 34th year. Team Angry. Keep an eye out if you are anywhere near the back of the pack. We are capable of riding fast, but a few of us ride with bags and are in no rush. We are in it for the fun, the exercise is just a bonus.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Jason4225 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm
We have a team that is on its 34th year. Team Angry. Keep an eye out if you are anywhere near the back of the pack. We are capable of riding fast, but a few of us ride with bags and are in no rush. We are in it for the fun, the exercise is just a bonus.
Haha, we are Team Failure to Plan. Sounds like we'll be riding in similar circles! :lol: