Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omahaopinions.com
Home Owners Association

Nebraska ranks 12th healthiest state

Post by omahaopinions.com »

Good news for Nebraska!
From the Lincoln Journal Star.

NE - Nebraska ranks improves four spots to 12th healthiest state
OMAHA, Neb. - Nebraska improved four spots from last year to rank as one of the healthiest states in the nation, a new report says.

Nebraska ranked 12th in the nation for health this year, compared to 16th last year, according to the 15th United Health Foundation report released Monday.

The state ranked directly behind No. 11 Iowa, which dropped from seventh in 2003.

The report said Nebraska's strengths include a lofty rate of high school graduation, with 80 percent of incoming ninth graders graduating within four years.

The state also benefited from a low percentage (11 percent) of children living in poverty, as well as a low incidence of infectious disease at 9.3 cases per 100,000 people.

Nebraska also did well in a category called "limited activity days," which measures how often people are unable to perform tasks at work or home because of physical or mental illness.

Nebraskans averaged 1.6 such days a month - one of the lowest in the nation - according to the report. The national average was 2.1.

Challenges facing Nebraska include a high rate of fatalities on the job, with 8.2 deaths per 100,000 workers noted, and the growing prevalence of obesity, with 24 percent of the population considered obese.

The foundation's report also listed limited access to adequate prenatal care as a drawback for the state. The report said about 75 percent of Nebraska's pregnant women received adequate prenatal care, compared with 76 percent who receive adequate care nationally.

The report, released by Minnesota-based United Health Foundation, ranked Minnesota the healthiest state. Louisiana was ranked the least healthy.

While Nebraska improved from last year, residents on the whole appear to be less healthy than they were in 1990, the report showed.

Nebraska was ranked among the top 10 states from 1990 to 1993, before dropping six spots in 1994 from the previous year to 11th. The state has not broken the top 10 since.
OmahaOpinions.com - Express your opinions!
FatGuy
Home Owners Association

Post by FatGuy »

I am new to forum. I love reading some of this stuff.

Judging by my name you probably picture me as heavy. You are right, I am a big boy. So I will just run with it.

Regardless, I was informed Omaha has a higher number of restaurants per capita than any other city. I love restaurants but I believe eating out packs on the pounds. I just can't help myself. I did cut out fast food after I saw the movie "Supersize Me." But anyway, looking around this town, I am not the only person enjoying our restaurants. :) :)
omahaopinions.com
Home Owners Association

Post by omahaopinions.com »

Welcome to the forum, yes we have a lot of great restaurants around town. Eating out may pack on the pounds but it sure slims the wallet! :D
OmahaOpinions.com - Express your opinions!