Grand Island Rumor Mill

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Linkin5 wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:That would be great for that location...although, I cannot imagine a CVS moving in so close to a Walgreens in a town the size of GI. Regardless, that is too good of a location to be left empty.
If there is a Walgreens across the street you can pretty much guarantee CVS will be building there.
Yeah, Walgreens and CVS are the McDonalds and BK of pharmacies. Walgreens had been at 132nd and Center & 90th and Blondo for years here in Omaha and CVS built right across the street from them.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

OSILayer8Support wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:That would be great for that location...although, I cannot imagine a CVS moving in so close to a Walgreens in a town the size of GI. Regardless, that is too good of a location to be left empty.
If there is a Walgreens across the street you can pretty much guarantee CVS will be building there.
Yeah, Walgreens and CVS are the McDonalds and BK of pharmacies. Walgreens had been at 132nd and Center & 90th and Blondo for years here in Omaha and CVS built right across the street from them.
I'll repeat my former statement. I cannot imagine a CVS moving in so close to a Walgreens in a town the size of GI. I know Omaha can handle it...just not sure about Grand Island. [/b]
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

gisbuxfan wrote:
OSILayer8Support wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
I'll repeat my former statement. I cannot imagine a CVS moving in so close to a Walgreens in a town the size of GI. I know Omaha can handle it...just not sure about Grand Island. [/b]
Its a principle of economic geography, its called conglomeration. The closer you are to your competition, the better you both end up doing.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Axel wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:
OSILayer8Support wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Its a principle of economic geography, its called conglomeration. The closer you are to your competition, the better you both end up doing.
Not sure what you are talking about.  CVS is trying to put Walgreens out of business, unless I missed something.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Linkin5 wrote:
Axel wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:
OSILayer8Support wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Not sure what you are talking about.  CVS is trying to put Walgreens out of business, unless I missed something.
Its kinda like making a mini downtown area if that makes sense.... the more businesses are in one area the more likely people are going to be to travel to said area.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Sad news...one of the newer Mexican food places, El Mariachi has now closed its doors. I think it was only open for a few months. They had great food and service, not sure what put them out.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

gisbuxfan wrote:Sad news...one of the newer Mexican food places, El Mariachi has now closed its doors. I think it was only open for a few months. They had great food and service, not sure what put them out.
Yeah its official. I was at Eileen's Cookies and i saw the sign "going out of business" on the window of El Mariachi.  Also there's a rumor that the Library Lounge is closing because their food is going down hill.
Suit Up
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

bbtran72 wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:Sad news...one of the newer Mexican food places, El Mariachi has now closed its doors. I think it was only open for a few months. They had great food and service, not sure what put them out.
 Also there's a rumor that the Library Lounge is closing because their food is going down hill.
hehe... then they should have closed 18 years ago. Maybe it's true, but I've been hearing that rumor since shortly after Curtis bought the place in the early 90's.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Candleshoe wrote:
bbtran72 wrote:
 Also there's a rumor that the Library Lounge is closing because their food is going down hill.
hehe... then they should have closed 18 years ago. Maybe it's true, but I've been hearing that rumor since shortly after Curtis bought the place in the early 90's.
Haha it thought it was not that bad, but the last time i was there was over a year ago.  My in-laws lives in grand island and they were there a month ago and they said even the chef salad weren't made correctly and it wasn't that good.
Suit Up
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

gisbuxfan wrote:Olive Garden is now open.

http://www.theindependent.com/news/busi ... f887a.html
And Denny's is now open too. It's like they went from concept to rebuild to open in four months... if even. I think that's how long Olive Garden has been training people, hehe.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Paradise Donuts is coming to the old Movie Gallery space near 2nd and Broadwell.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:Paradise Donuts is coming to the old Movie Gallery space near 2nd and Broadwell.
I am not familiar with Paradise Donuts, but its about time this town gets a stand alone donut shop! Too bad its not Daylight Donuts. That was always my favorite while I was in college in Kearney.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Try to get a combo Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins.  Tasty stuff
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

NovakOmaha wrote:Try to get a combo Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins.  Tasty stuff
GI already has a Baskin Robbins. You're right... a guilty pleasure.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

GI's plot to steal Lincoln piece by piece continues...

Product Show for Business & Industry coming to Grand Island

The largest business and industry show in Nebraska and the Midwest, the 18th Biennial Nebraska Products Show for Business & Industry, is coming to Grand Island for the first time on October 3-4, 2012. Held at Fonner Park in the Exhibition Building, the Products Show is both a marketplace and technical center. Suppliers and vendors will be able to display their products, materials, and services for area users and buyers.

The Nebraska Products Show for Business & Industry had been in Lincoln the previous 32 years.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Watch for an announcement sometime in the near future about the Tri City Rolling Thunder (Roller derby girls) finally landing a home in the Heartland Events Center.

And that's all I know about that...

http://tricityderby.com
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

PepperJax Grill is coming to Grand Island.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

badlander wrote:PepperJax Grill is coming to Grand Island.
Awesome!  Pepperjax is great!
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Brad wrote:
What is your source?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

gisbuxfan wrote:
Brad wrote:
What is your source?
here's a reference from Sioux Falls TV

http://business.keloland.com/detail.cfm ... ?id=135472
PepperJax Grill also operates restaurants in Lincoln, Nebraska, Lawrence, Kansas, and Overland Park, Kansas. More locations in Des Moines, Ia., Kansas City, Mo., St. Joseph, Mo., and Grand Island, Ne. are being planned to open in the future.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:
Brad wrote:
What is your source?

PepperJax Grill also operates restaurants in Lincoln, Nebraska, Lawrence, Kansas, and Overland Park, Kansas. More locations in Des Moines, Ia., Kansas City, Mo., St. Joseph, Mo., and Grand Island, Ne. are being planned to open in the future.
The last three years every time my wife and I have gone to pepperjax (approx. 1-2 per month), we have dropped in the suggestion box about moving to GI. So this is pretty exciting to me! I never thought I would be saying this, but I hope GI is careful about over saturating the market too fast. (it still sounds weird to me)

I know some restaurants, like Freddy's has seen a steep drop in business since its first 3-6 months being open. Now that we have all these, I don't want to see them go out of business. However, I think other establishments like Texas Roadhouse is jammed pack every night. Good for them!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

gisbuxfan wrote:
Candleshoe wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:
Brad wrote:
What is your source?

The last three years every time my wife and I have gone to pepperjax (approx. 1-2 per month), we have dropped in the suggestion box about moving to GI. So this is pretty exciting to me! I never thought I would be saying this, but I hope GI is careful about over saturating the market too fast. (it still sounds weird to me)

I know some restaurants, like Freddy's has seen a steep drop in business since its first 3-6 months being open. Now that we have all these, I don't want to see them go out of business. However, I think other establishments like Texas Roadhouse is jammed pack every night. Good for them!
Small businesses, and most of these chain restaurants are franchisees thus small businesses, fail all the time.  I wouldn't put the blame on GI for most of these closings or business drop offs.  It could be anything.  For example, Cheeburger Cheeburger closed in Omaha, in my opinion, because their prices were high for a mediocre burger.  It could also have been the lack of experience on the part of the franchisee.  Restaurants open & close all the time.  As stated above, Freddy's dropped off while Texas Roadhouse is still doing good business.  GI's restaurant crowd is unique and if the franchisor doesn't do a good job of due diligence it may not work.  I wouldn't be surprised if Pepperjax does well.  Their food is outstanding and if their record holds the prices should be in line.

Bottom line, oversaturation is probably a forgone conclusion but it is a good thing sometimes.  Why?  Someone builds out a building for a casual restaurant, goes under, and someone else gets the building for less.  It happens a lot.  

So many good things going on in GI.  Lincoln too as well as Omaha.  When you look at some other areas of the country you see what a great place Nebraska is.  And most of it without the gimmicks other states are using.
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

Candleshoe wrote:Coming to the old EconoFoods/SunMart/U-Save/Furniture SuperCenter building on State St at US281...
The Gap, Shoe Carnival, Dress Barn and Bed, Bath & Beyond!

Watch for road congestion to about double along State Street between the malls.
Demo/remodel work to begin within the next month to make way for BB&B first.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

badlander wrote:
Candleshoe wrote:Coming to the old EconoFoods/SunMart/U-Save/Furniture SuperCenter building on State St at US281...
The Gap, Shoe Carnival, Dress Barn and Bed, Bath & Beyond!

Watch for road congestion to about double along State Street between the malls.
I've seen a trailer parked out front the last month now. I figured something was going to start soon. Are they pulling down that building all together or will they just remodel it?
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

I've seen a trailer parked out front the last month now. I figured something was going to start soon. Are they pulling down that building all together or will they just remodel it?
Everything I've heard is that the building stays, but will be gutted.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:

I figured that much. It seems like a good building, although as far as gutting it, I don't know they'll be doing a lot. It's a pretty wide open floor plan. My hope is I'll have another Christmas shopping option by next year.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

gisbuxfan wrote:
Candleshoe wrote:

I figured that much. It seems like a good building, although as far as gutting it, I don't know they'll be doing a lot. It's a pretty wide open floor plan.
True...

I haven't been in there since the closing sale for U-Save, but remember there were a handful of nooks and build outs for the pharmacy, florist and offices, not to mention the back walls to the storeroom. I also remember the flooring being kind of nasty where they had moved out the shelving. Should be pretty easy stuff. The retrofits for contemporary retail should be a breeze.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

In other news, the Pet Smart location for Grand Island that had been mentioned on their careers page from the website has now disappeared. No Pet Smart for GI.
briboi2005
New to the Neighborhood

Post by briboi2005 »

What are they doing on the corner of capitol and 281? catty corner from pump and pantry? they have all sorts of big land movers and a spot cleared?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

briboi2005 wrote:What are they doing on the corner of capitol and 281? catty corner from pump and pantry? they have all sorts of big land movers and a spot cleared?
European mixed use development?  Macys Nordstroms Saks Ikea New Nebraska Furniture Mart Two Corporate Headquarters Manufacturing....and a streetcar
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

NovakOmaha wrote:
briboi2005 wrote:What are they doing on the corner of capitol and 281? catty corner from pump and pantry? they have all sorts of big land movers and a spot cleared?
European mixed use development?  Macys Nordstroms Saks Ikea New Nebraska Furniture Mart Two Corporate Headquarters Manufacturing....and a streetcar
Car factory & NFM is relocating.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

Parking area as many of the store fronts facing east at the Grand Island Mall are being repositioned to the west to face Hwy 281.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

There is also dirt work being done just south of Dairy Queen on Capital Ave.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

gisbuxfan wrote:There is also dirt work being done just south of Dairy Queen on Capital Ave.
Update: They are now preparing a foundation for a building. Any ideas on what this is?
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Found it! Here are the plans for south of Capital and northwest of Walmart according to a late September City Council meeting...

The developers are proposing to building ten, 30 unit
three story apartment buildings as shown on the attached plans, along with a club house
and pool area. Also included is a Preliminary Plat for Sterling Estates Second Subdivision
and a Final Plat for Sterling Estates Second Subdivision.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

gisbuxfan wrote:Found it! Here are the plans for south of Capital and northwest of Walmart according to a late September City Council meeting...

three story apartment buildings as shown on the attached plans, along with a club house
and pool area. Also included is a Preliminary Plat for Sterling Estates Second Subdivision
do you have a link where you found this?
Suit Up
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I can find it for you, its gonna take some digging. It was in the minutes from a city council meeting. However, here is another link that talks about the project from the Independent's website...

300 apartments coming to Grand Island http://www.theindependent.com/news/loca ... e5436.html
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

bbtran72 wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:Found it! Here are the plans for south of Capital and northwest of Walmart according to a late September City Council meeting...

Here you go!

https://agendamanagement.blob.core.wind ... 8-80_1.pdf
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

gisbuxfan wrote:
bbtran72 wrote:

Here you go!

https://agendamanagement.blob.core.wind ... 8-80_1.pdf
Awesome, now i know exactly what you are talking about.  It is great to see grand island getting more developtments other than restaurants.
Suit Up